Start by marking “The Day Job: Adventures of a Jobbing Gardener” as Want to Read:
The Day Job: Adventures of a Jobbing Gardener

The Day Job: Adventures of a Jobbing Gardener

3.77 of 5 stars 3.77  ·  rating details  ·  48 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Mark Wallington has a dream. He is going to change the face of British comedy.

Unfortunately for the residents of north London, he's going to finance this dream by becoming a gardener.

The result is The Day Job, an account of a year spent working in other people's gardens: people like Mrs Fleming who is convinced there is buried treasure in the bottom bed; Mr Walters who is
Published July 6th 2006 by Arrow (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Day Job, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Day Job

The Day Job - Adventures of a Jobbing Gardener is a book written by Mark Wallington. A fun compilation of stories about the people Mark worked for while gardening as a means to earn some money in 1980. While Mark's dream is to become a comedy writer and he continues to submit scripts to the BBC, he is getting to know many of the people who are the face of North London. In writing about the various people he works for, you cannot help but feel he has grown to enjoy the faces of his day job.

You c
A good read for anyone who likes gently amusing, slightly over-drawn, eccentric characters. Also fun for gardeners who appreciate a break from all that latin. It manages to also show how rubbing along with the community and putting in the occasional bit of thought for others will make the world go round a bit better.
Sally George
Lovely, and a delight to read....very much a feel good factor book. Amusing and compelling. The sort of book you finish with a smile. It reinforced that fact that you don't have to be a success and good at what you do, as long as you care.
Louise Culmer
Mark Wallington's amusing account of how he worked as a jobbing gardener while struggling to establish himself as a writer of TV scripts. He didn't allow the fact that he knew hardly anything about gardening hold him back, and managed to acquire a number of regular clients. If you have enjoyed his other books you will probably enjoy this one too, there is plenty of humour and he meets some memorable and eccentric characters in the course of his work.
Samuel Evans
I thought this book was very poor. I was pretty bored through the book and ddnt even finsih it becuase i lost interest. I didnt find it very funny at all and i thought it was poorly constructed. It's a shame because i really like Mark Wallington's books about his travelling. I think he should stick to his travel books. I wouldn't recommend reading this as i thought it took up a lot of my time :(
It was a good fun read. Not rocket science. Not hysterically funny, more like ‘chuckly’. It would probably appeal to those who enjoy Gervase Phinn’s books - I shall definitely be checking out his more famous books about his escapades with his dog, Bogie!
I have worked as a jobbing gardener so thought I'd like to read about how someone else dealt with the clients/weather/cash flow etc....but it was just a bit boring so I didn't bother to finish it.
It was an OK read but I really didn't find it funny, it was interesting as a social commentary on those who employ gardeners, but I just couldn't see the humour.
You can do anything if you put your mind to it.
very funny. A good read
a fun and easy read
Sue Robinson
A fun light read.
Kay Wells
good humoured read
Shannon marked it as to-read
Oct 06, 2015
Deborah Malcolm
Deborah Malcolm marked it as to-read
Aug 30, 2015
Sue is currently reading it
Oct 10, 2014
Carme marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Diana marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Penny marked it as to-read
Aug 06, 2014