Start by marking “Glad Monster, Sad Monster” as Want to Read:
Glad Monster, Sad Monster

Glad Monster, Sad Monster

Glad, sad, silly, mad - monsters have all kinds of different feelings! In this innovative die-cut book, featuring a snazzy foil cover, you'll try on funny masks as you walk through the wide range of moods all little monsters (and kids!) experience.

Here's a fun, interactive way to explore the many different ways we feel!

Caldecott Medal-winning author/artist Ed Emberley pr
Published September 1st 1997 by LB Kids (first published January 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Glad Monster, Sad Monster, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Glad Monster, Sad Monster

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldCurious George by H.A. ReyFried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie FlaggYeats Is Dead! by Joseph O'ConnorColors Insulting To Nature by Cintra Wilson
Dazzling multicolored covers
164th out of 234 books — 31 voters
Madeline by Ludwig BemelmansThe Mystic Princesses and the Whirlpool by P.J. LaRueI Can Cook " Cake Baking" by Marika GermanisOlivia by Ian FalconerFancy Nancy by Jane O'Connor
Best little girl books
285th out of 343 books — 261 voters

More lists with this book...

Ashley
Jul 25, 2015 Ashley rated it really liked it
Loved this book about emotions. I only had two problems with it. First, the copy from the library did not come with the monster masks that you tear out and wear while reading the book. Second, my child is some kind of crazy empath who is perfectly capable of watching any horror movie you throw her way but is completely thrown into a weeping 30 minute tantrum over anything "sad." Our first reading of this book was cut short by the blue sad monster when halfway through his page, Alice's mouth turn ...more
Sarah Sammis
Apr 03, 2009 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pc, read-in-2009
Glad Monster, Sad Monster by Anne Miranda and illustrated by Ed Emberley teaches about emotions and the things that can trigger them through this colorful and interactive book. Each page has a color coded monster (often times in a color associated with a given emotion) who is feeling a certain way. To add some silliness into the reading experience, each monster page also has a mask for either the child or the parent to try on and act out the emotion.

I personally am not normally keen on these for
Phil
Feb 14, 2016 Phil rated it did not like it
Worst children's book ever. No beginning and no end. Also, the "loving" monster is clearly female as if boys cannot show loving traits. Do not waste your money or your time on this book!
Paige Freeman
This book was a great read for descriptive words for writing or talking about feelings. This book has great pictures that a child can really relate to and offers an actual mask that the child can wear to help them describe how they're feeling. I was drawn to this book because of the bright colors and defined drawings. I also liked the font that was used on the color and thought it was very inviting and fun. I thought the most impressionable part of this book was when it was describing what "lovi ...more
Samantha Gardner
Mar 31, 2016 Samantha Gardner rated it really liked it
I think this book is a great book to help children understand feelings. On top of that also what makes you feel a certain emotion. It is super cute, colorful and fun! The book has a monster for each feeling and incorporates pictures explaining what happens when the monster feels that way.

I also really liked the use of color, for example the angry monster was red and the sad monster was blue. Another fun aspect is this book is interactive. On each page there is a mask of the monster and you hold
Meghan Brennan
Nov 17, 2015 Meghan Brennan rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-emotional
Glad Monster, Sad Monster is about monsters that have all different types of feelings! The monsters feel loving, silly, scared, sad, worried, and happy. Each page discusses a different emotion with examples of times when the monsters felt that feeling. This would be a great book to talk about emotions and times when you feel those emotions. I particularly loved that each emotion has a mask that can be taken out of the book for the children to wear as their talk about times they've felt that emot ...more
Marlee
Jan 27, 2014 Marlee rated it liked it
Both of my children really like this book and find it a lot of fun, mostly because of the masks. However, I think that the feelings could have been described much better than they were. For example, my son and I both thought that storms and what could be hiding under the bed should have been scared or afraid rather than worried. I felt that the emotions could have been explained much better than they were. However, for very young children that are still learning to vocalize emotions, I think thi ...more
Eva Leger
Jan 14, 2011 Eva Leger rated it it was ok
Shelves: julias-books
This is the first Ed Emberley book we've looked at/read besides his drawing how-to books. Julia got a kick out of this because of the masks. That was about it. The monsters are fun to look at, very bright and the pull out pages will be a hit with any lift-the-flap lover. Besides that though, it kind of falls flat.
I saw it suggested that it be used in therapy and I suppose it could be used with some good results with very young kids. My daughter is 5 and isn't in therapy. We found this at the li
Destiny Thompson
Feb 21, 2015 Destiny Thompson rated it really liked it
Shelves: infromational
I love reading this book to my son he enjoys interpreting th emotions of each monster. The writer uses colors to demonstrate emotion, such as red for mad, blue for sad, and so on. This book is great for small children learning cause and effect, and colors. Fun and creative. Good book!
Melanie
Ed Emberley's distinct style is apparent in his newest installation. Glad Monster, Sad Monster introduces readers to differently colored monsters each of which have an emotion that corresponds to its particular color.

A great book for helping children understand their feelings.
Robin
Jan 05, 2015 Robin rated it it was ok
Like Emberley's artistic style but this book not my favorite. Part book, part toy, die-cut mask pages are meant to be removed from the binding and stored in a pocket at the back of the book. Not a fan of this concept. These pieces are sure to be damaged/lost once removed.
Jamie
Jul 11, 2016 Jamie added it
Shelves: picture-books
In Glad Monster Sad Monster each monster displays a different feeling. This book gives its readers the enjoyment of which monster is feeling. The illustrations are bright and colorful. This story is generated for preschool age and younger.
Melissa Trumbo
Jul 16, 2016 Melissa Trumbo added it
Shelves: fantasy
Imaginative, fun book for children. The book changes with every page, revealing more of a monster face. The book also comes with different monster masks for kids to try on. Great activity for talking about feelings and emotions.
Kimberly
Jan 08, 2015 Kimberly rated it really liked it
My daughter brought it home from school. She loved it. The monster mask were a great idea. She loved getting to be different monsters. Plus it was a great way for her to work on words that she already knows.
Ashley Aolani Salisbury
I really loved this book!! The artwork is awesome and so is the story. There are chances for kids to put on monster masks too. It' very interactive and very fun
Naomi
Sep 06, 2014 Naomi rated it really liked it
Have to say that I while the "story" was good, the masks made this book stand out. The ability for the children to talk about emotions at a young age was spectacular.
Jason
Dec 29, 2015 Jason rated it liked it
Exploration of emotions easily accessible to preschoolers, especially fans of Go Away, Big Green Monster! who makes an appearance in this book, by the way...
Dolly
Apr 09, 2009 Dolly rated it liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
Shelves: childrens, 2010, monsters
We loved the author's book, Go Away, Big Green Monster and so we eagerly read this one when our daughter found it at her school library. It's another really fun book, with an opportunity for kids (and parents) to put on each mask and pretend to be each monster. The only reason why it doesn't get four stars is that it can be a little awkward to manipulate the pages and play monster, but it's still fun. And while we were pretending, we would discuss what things make us experience the emotions that ...more
Shauna Williams
We love Ed Emberley's Glad Monster, Sad Monster book. It is a favorite book amongst my children and my Art Students. My children love trying out the different masks that are built into the pages of the books and talking about the different emotions that are discussed. We also loved Anne Miranda's bold an vibrant illustrations she used to illustrate Ed Emberely's book. I used this book to teach my 1st Grade students an art lesson on shapes. You can find my art lesson and a more detailed review of ...more
Oct 21, 2014 Jennifer rated it liked it
Again, better for a small crowd or one-on-one setting. But way cool having monster face masks to use to talk about feelings!
Erin
This book introduces basic feelings using colorful monsters to illustrate them.

Okay for preschool or toddler storytime.
Stella
Apr 30, 2016 Stella rated it liked it
Love the little masks included in this book. Fun way to help young children explore different feelings!
Gabby
Jul 14, 2016 Gabby rated it it was amazing
Great book to deal with different feelings kids may be experiencing and cant give them a name!)
Lauren White
Apr 15, 2015 Lauren White rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, own
Good for prek-1
Tricia and Family
Jul 13, 2009 Tricia and Family rated it really liked it
I love Ed Emberley. This is the second monster book of his that our family owns. The books are fun and interactive, great pictures, very expressive. A wonderful book great for talking about feelings. Each little monster is feeling a little different. The monsters explain their feeling and why they feel that way. Each feeling has a fold out mask for the children to hold up to their face. My children love this book! Our family uses sign language and we give this our vote for fun to sign.
Sharon
This text uses different monsters to express various feelings. Each page gives four situations that make that monster feel that emotion. At first glance, there are two scenarios. Then the page flips open to reveal two additional scenarios plus a mask of the expression that monster makes (related to the connected emotion). The mask, while connected to the book, does have eyes and a nose cut out so it can be used as an actual mask to represent that feeling.
Leanne Krausmann
Apr 10, 2013 Leanne Krausmann rated it really liked it
This book is great for teaching students emotions in a silly way because the monsters are different. What is really unique about this book is that all of the emotions and monster characters have a mask that the student can wear. This book shows a fun way for students to learn emotions and get involved. It would be helpful for the students to see what others look like when they are wearing the mask, to see what people look like when they are feeling a certain way.
Derek Cooke
Dec 07, 2012 Derek Cooke rated it really liked it
This story is about seven different colored monsters each with their own set of feelings. Each of the monsters tells their story using bright pictures on a black background, which makes the pictures stand out more. Each one of the monsters has a fold out mask that the children or adult can use to model the emotion. That feature makes it a pretty cool book.

Alyssa
Aug 17, 2016 Alyssa added it
Shelves: 5-fantasy
This book is all about the different feelings monsters have. This helps children understand that there are many different types of feelings and it's ok to have them!
Gennie Hendrick
This is a great book to introduce when talking about emotions. The book is interactive because the children can try on the different masks in the book. This gives children to work on language development by discussing what makes them feel glad, sad, or mad.
  • Words Are Not for Hurting (Ages 4-7) (Best Behavior)
  • If You're A Monster And You Know It
  • You've Got Dragons
  • I Dream of an Elephant
  • Jazz Baby
  • Up, Down, and Around
  • There Was an Old Lady Who Swallowed a Trout!
  • Old Black Fly
  • Hop Jump
  • Miss Spider's New Car
  • When I Feel Angry (The Way I Feel Books)
  • Oodles of Animals