Start by marking “Cinquième Avenue” as Want to Read:
Cinquième Avenue

Cinquième Avenue

3.31  ·  Rating Details  ·  21,265 Ratings  ·  1,389 Reviews
Habiter la Cinquième Avenue à Manhattan, c’est le symbole même de la réussite ! Alors, quand une dame très riche et très âgée meurt, on se bouscule pour reprendre son penthouse - actrice, journaliste, avocate -, prétexte pour Candace Bushnell, l’auteur du fameux Sex and the City, à faire défiler une savoureuse galerie de personnages…
Published June 1st 2009 by Albin Michel (first published 2008)

Jessica
Oct 10, 2008 Jessica rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Don't do it. Don't spring the cash for the hardcover of Sex and the City creator Candace Bushnell's latest, One Fifth Avenue. Instead, eat an entire bag of Twizzler's, spend some money you don't have at a high end department store, look up on Facebook the shady college boyfriend that made you cry, research the current value of your home or 401K and then read all about how the big hedge fund managers are faring during the economic crisis. You'll feel about the same stomach pain if you waste your ...more
Sam Still Reading
Jan 17, 2009 Sam Still Reading rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's a couple of things you need to remember when you start to read this book:
1. There are lots of characters, seemingly only linked by a very thin thread. Don't worry, you will start to remember who they are and who they love and hate after 50 pages or so.
2. It's a fairy tale, so please don't be too disappointed about how it all turns out.
3. Best read in large chunks (eg. holiday reading) rather than 20 minutes a day on a train- you'll forget who's doing who and who hates who.

In One Fifth Av
Kimberly
Dec 10, 2008 Kimberly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book made me grateful that I do not lead a life like the one it portrayed. I feel like the upper class lifestyle that Bushnell describes is too superficial and artificial for me to really appreciate it. I am baffled that there are people that actually live their lives in such a supercilious manner towards others just because they have more money. I am also baffled that people can actually spend that much money on objects and luxuries. I am not sure which character I despised more - Lola or ...more
Laurel-Rain
Jan 05, 2009 Laurel-Rain rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In an Art Deco building in one of Manhattan’s oldest and most hip neighborhoods, a conclave of fictional Manhattanites reside; they are a mix of old and new money, a power-hungry and socially eager group that will do almost anything to maintain their residences – and hence, their social positions – in this piece of real estate that represents so much more to each of them. Thus begins the tale of One Fifth Avenue.

First, we meet some of the elder residents – those who have the respect of the other
Nov 06, 2013 Laura rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I don't care what you think. I liked it!
Elevate Difference
I prefer not to make New Year’s Resolutions. However, there is one that I intend to make and keep. I will never read a "chick lit" book again. For years, the vapidity of this genre has enthralled millions of women and kept the printing presses running at publishers’ establishments. I frankly refuse to even glance through something of this standard ever.

I read One Fifth Avenue on a whim. A college friend suggested it to me after I admitted that I had never watched Sex and the City. “It’s Candace
Summer
Dec 29, 2009 Summer rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One Fifth Avenue takes us on a tour of the New York City, socially elite crowd of one of the most prestigious buildings in which to live. The reader follows many of the residents of One Fifth, though difficult to track at first, through their triumphs and "misfortunes," as they go about their daily, wealthy lives.

As you can tell from the rating, I was not a fan of this book. My intention was to read this as a sort of brain-candy, guilty pleasure read between heavier novels. Unfortunately, it di
Heather
Jan 07, 2013 Heather rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013
I've never read anything by Candace Bushnell, but considering she was behind Sex and the City, she seemed worth a try. Now, I'm not going to say her other books are bad, but based on this I might never find out. This book was drawn out, tedious and a complete waste of time. I kept battering to get through it just so I could move onto something else.

New York is, I assume, supposed to be romanticised in this book considering every character seems to have some form of love for either the city itsel
Shiloh
Oct 14, 2008 Shiloh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I must say I really liked Lipstick Jungle, but this was not another group of women trying to have it all in the big city.

The book starts off pretty slow because there are so many characters to keep track of, and I was trying to pin one down as the main character. And there really isn't one. Lola was interesting--she brings a lot of conflict to the story, but it's definitely not about her. I think this is a good story about greed and what people will do to get ahead.
Love Fool
Aug 28, 2014 Love Fool rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One Fifth Avenue, the Art Deco beauty towering over one of Manhattan's oldest and most historically hip neighborhoods, is a one-of-a-kind address, the sort of building you have to earn your way into--one way or another. For the women in Candace Bushnell's new novel, One Fifth Avenue, this edifice is essential to the lives they've carefully established--or hope to establish. From the hedge fund king's wife to the aging gossip columnist to the free-spirited actress (a recent refugee from L.A.), ea ...more
Christina
Feb 22, 2014 Christina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I most enjoyed the underlying theme on how easily all people misconstrue the actions of others, and even further, how these false assumptions are taken so deeply personally that we literally start living our lives in reaction to what we think we see in other people's behavior. I really appreciated seeing how Bushnell presents the deep, emotional attachments people make to the perceived thoughts and motivations of others, and how dramatically lives can change from the narrow-minded and false judg ...more
A. S.
Aug 21, 2009 A. S. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
May 06, 2009 Sarah rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009-reads
When I was a wee one, I used to write stories, and people in these stories had really unlikely names. My mom still has a tendency to say "That sounds like one of your made-up names!" However, I was eight. What is Candace Bushnell's excuse? The names in this book (in all her books) -- "Thayer Core"? "Lola Fabrikant"? -- I take as stabbingly irritating synecdoches for her overall style, which is hackneyed, hollow, and underimaginative under the guise of being sharply observant and classily cynical ...more
Justine
Jul 04, 2009 Justine rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Okay yes. This selection is definitely worth judging. But when one is abroad and at a train station trying to purchase a book, the options are few and far between. Let it be known that it was between this and other selections that were WAY more unsavory. (As a rule, I do not read books that contain the word "keeper" in the title. Nor do I read anything that could be put into screen form and then set to Coldplay knockoff soundtracks that are supposed to make me cry. Ick.)

This is my first foray in
Megs ♥
I tend to like Bushnell's YA works more than her chick lit type of books. I absolutely loved both books in the Carrie Diaries, but this book along with Sex and the City are books I couldn't get into.
Danielle
Sep 29, 2014 Danielle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I simply loved this book. Read it over a week vacation and so worth it. The book has an excellent plot, which is basically totally random, but it follows the lives of some tenants in a building on one of the most prestigious avenues in New York. it jumps from person to person by chapter, which keeps the book quite interesting and you want to read the next chapter just to find out what happens. But all of the chapters/characters are just as intriguing, and of course, the characters all run into o ...more
Mollydee
Sep 26, 2013 Mollydee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
had no intention of reading this book. Although a fan of the HBO show "Sex in the City", I was not sure I would want to read that book.

I cannot remember when I purchased this book or why. But when I ran out of things to read, I grabbed this off of the shelf. And I got a nice surprise.

This is not the normal kind of book I would read. Even the description did not entice me. I had a problem in the beginning keeping all of the inhabitants and want to be inhabitants of One Fifth Avenue straight. Onc
Lora Ofelia
One Fifth is definitely what I consider "fluff" reading material, read for a break from reality. I appreciate the large number of main characters woven into the story since this allows them to interact with one another.

Being that the reality of life in New York is far from my scope of knowledge, I do appreciate a glimpse into that society - even if it has been deemed an extremely exaggerated glimpse.

Although the concrete details/events of One Fifth seem unrealistic, I feel the book stays groun
Michele
Real Estate is the New Black
This novel, One Fifth Avenue, gets its name from the Art Deco building in New York's ultra-hip Greenwich Village. Living there has a certain status to which the middle-aged main characters aspire. In "Sex and the City" it was shoes. In this book, it's real estate.

Mindy Gooch is the building's board president. She's a bitter blogger, whose husband, James, writes a commercially successful novel. Schiffer Diamond is an actress who has a relationship with a fellow tenant,
Redfox5
Mar 26, 2016 Redfox5 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, fiction, usa
I thought this book would be terrible as I'm not a fan of Bushnell. I had no expectations. And when it comes to books, I love it when I'm wrong about them.

It wasn't long before I was involved with all the drama and residents of One Fifth Avenue. I loved all their storylines and scandals. Currently looking for a house to buy so I know all about the harsh reality of everything being so expensive, must be a millions times worse in New York.

This book has changed my opinion of Bushnell and I won
Teshuah
Feb 02, 2016 Teshuah rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
It was an OK book. The girl in me kept reading this one rather than the writer in me. Not much to say about it. Bottom line: I would not recommend. I abandoned it 3/4 of the way thru.
Laurie
Jul 03, 2014 Laurie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: lite-lit, gotham
I liked the writing but the characters were depressing & obnoxious. A hard combo to take for over 400 pages. Plus, I was hoping this would compare to my beloved Apartment 3B!
Charlotte
I didn't think this was a bad book at all. Yes, there are lots of characters and their goings-on can be hard to keep track of, especially if you don't read this book in a short span of time. A lot of the characters don't live in the the reality that most of us do. But that's why this is a work of fiction, and if you take it as such, it won't bug you so much! Also, it's a statement on the ridiculousness of the richest of the rich; and I think Bushnell is trying to make a point about the pursuit o ...more
Courtney
Jul 31, 2009 Courtney rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit, reviewed
Karah
Mar 23, 2009 Karah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I know that this book didn't get great reviews, and it is not at all "The Great American Novel". However, I had fun reading it--especially now, in the midst of my grad school reading load. The story is woven with a lot of characters, but knowing that in advance (i read a lot of reviews that said the same thing) helped me keep track of them a bit better.

It was interesting for me to read about these different New Yorkers who live in this glamorous building but definitely hard for me to relate to.
Karen Germain
Candace Bushnell is one of those authors that I always feel compelled to read, even if her books never quite satisfy. Scratch that, her books are usually terrible. However, I keep buying them, so here we go...

I picked up Bushnell's "One Fifth Avenue" on the Barnes and Noble bargain table several years ago and it has sat on my to-be-read shelf, until last week. I've been in a reading slump and needed a beach read to get me back on track.

Bushnell's rise to fame is due to the popularity of the tel
Danielle
Sep 13, 2011 Danielle rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: garbage
Pretty much read to page 16 then skipped oh pratically the whole book. Read thr last chapter and got the jist of the entire book. The book didnt flow well, it was very choppy, and didnt realyy understand what the book's message was. Was it that greedy always want money? That they are hateful? I mean in the book it pretty much says that these people are so self obsorbed that ll they think is about money. The women are re portrayed as money hungry and pretty just wives, then you have a 22 year old ...more
Rosabelle Purnama
I'm a huge fan of Sex and The City and love the four main characters. That is one of the reasons why I pick up this book and read it, hoping for the same feeling that I get from Sex and the City, Bushnell's most popular work, and I kinda miss Carrie, Samantha, Charlotte and Miranda. But this book is far from SATC, there's lots of characters, but none I really like. In fact, i hate most of the characters. I found them annoying, superficial, and some of them are mean. I particularly despise Lola F ...more
carnival
Mar 21, 2014 carnival rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
Although I didn't have huge expectations (and yes - I was right), I even quite liked the fact that the author shared her own observations and hid the outlines of some contemporary Americans in the book: the insanity of sudden billionaires, the thoughtlessness of long-term celebrities and of course the awakening of young people, brought up in conviction of their own superiority, who finally meet the reality.
Sophie
Oct 06, 2009 Sophie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
gave it up. I was not expecting much more than a fun read, felt surprised by the sharp tongueg and then became bored by the sharp and only sharp tongue.
why writing a whole book about characters you despise?
Grr !!! chicklit, always taking the easy way out!!! yes, they are rich, yes they are shallow, yes, their attempt to avoid failure/age is ridiculous but do we have to stop here?
Bushnell is trying hard to sound smarter than Carrie but she cannot build character with flaws who can have one genu
Does anyone have any questions for Candace? 5 47 Nov 07, 2012 03:30PM
  • Model Student: A Tale of Co-eds and Cover Girls
  • Fashionistas
  • 40 Love
  • Fashionably Late
  • Dirty Girls on Top (Dirty Girls, #2)
  • Nice to Come Home To
Candace Bushnell is the critically acclaimed, international best-selling author of Killing Monica, Sex and the City, Summer and the City, The Carrie Diaries, One Fifth Avenue, Lipstick Jungle, Trading Up, and Four Blondes. Sex and the City, published in 1996, was the basis for the HBO hit series and two subsequent blockbuster movies. Lipstick Jungle became a popular television series on NBC, as di ...more
More about Candace Bushnell...

“That's the difference between girls and women: Girls find men fascinating. Women know better.” 227 likes
“Retribution is tricky. . . . The insult isn't usually worth the risk of punishment. And eventually one learns that karma has a surprising way of taking care of these situations. All you have to do is sit back and watch.” 179 likes