Handing One Another Along: Literature and Social Reflection

Handing One Another Along: Literature and Social Reflection

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  39 ratings  ·  11 reviews
In this book on shaping a meaningful and ethical life, the renowned, Pulitzer Prize–winning author explores how character, courage, and human and moral understanding can be fostered by reflecting on the lives of others, through stories. Based on Robert Coles’ legendary course at Harvard, this provocative book addresses such questions as, “Who are we? Where do we come from?...more
Published August 31st 2010 by Random House (first published January 1st 2010)

Newengland
This is a collection of Professor Robert Coles' lectures for a course he teaches at (ahem) Hah-vahd. Being a little public university kid, I wondered what all the ivy was about and so read this book, more a "dipper" than a "cover-to-cover" deal.

Coles is concerned with the same terrain as early man (OK, early, on-time, and late man, for that matter): Where did we come from? Who are we? And where the hell are we going? Hell, I could answer the last one for him, but I might get my ass kicked into...more
Paul
Highlights: narrative-driven chapters/lectures plus deeply human/e insights on William Carlos Williams, Raymond Carver, Flannery O'Connor, Ruby Bridges. First half of the book was stronger, more insightful and interesting, better written than the second half. Have to hand it to him though: Robert Coles' insights, reflections, and thoughts on William Carlos Williams and Raymond Carver made me want to read their entire body of work and teach from his prescribed pieces.
Liz
My three star rating does not mean I did not like it. Like it I did! But, at time it seemed to ramble a bit. Still, his insights in many areas are excellent and really make one thing. Some of the ideas from this book will stay with me for a long time. Not as good as All Things Shining, but certainly worth the read.
Ashley
Harvard's Gen Ed 105 in a book! I LOVED loved loved.
Angelo
This is such a great book. Coles writes passionately about both literature and social reflection. His sense of social responsibility is high and he conveys that sense of importance to the reader. I especially enjoyed his stories about William Carlos Williams, Flannery O'Connor, and Ruby Bridges. This book is a must read for any educator or anyone interested in education.

Please support independent bookstores, if you order this book please use Indie Bound: http://www.indiebound.org/book/978081...
Anna Kendig
Robert Coles is a great academic, but more importantly, a great storyteller. He writes well, of course, but more importantly, he's able to take the personal narratives and writing lives of those featured in this book and craft them into exampled about how we live together in community and what that might mean. Poetic, academic, and inspiring; not a bad combo.
Carolyn Crocker
A refresher course in re-reading and the training in empathy and depth that literature, and especially, a wide spectrum of voices provides. Robert Coles continues to be a wise guide.
Claire
if you read his books, all similar references and points made,nonetheless insightful and useful tool. Big contribution to the concept of bibliotherapy
Kim
A nonfiction book companion to Coles' Harvard class. Discusses different authors and how they help readers interrogate life and how to live it.
Cathryn
The subtitle says it all: On character, courage, and compassion
Janet
My reading list has grown greatly from this great book.
Ambrose Miles
Ambrose Miles marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2014
Ted Morgan
Ted Morgan marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2014
Katie Banks
Katie Banks marked it as to-read
Nov 30, 2013
Staci
Staci added it
Nov 30, 2013
Jane
Jane marked it as to-read
Oct 22, 2013
Kimberli
Kimberli marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2013
Josh
Josh added it
May 11, 2013
Jean
Jean marked it as to-read
May 30, 2013
Ann
Ann is currently reading it
Apr 23, 2013
Eagan
Eagan added it
Apr 23, 2013
Katrina
Katrina marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2013
Fatuma Mame
Fatuma Mame marked it as to-read
Feb 28, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Child psychiatrist, author, Harvard professor.

Robert Coles is a professor of psychiatry and medical humanities at the Harvard Medical School, a research psychiatrist for the Harvard University Health Services, and the James Agee Professor of Social Ethics at Harvard College.
More about Robert Coles...
The Story Of Ruby Bridges The Call of Stories: Teaching and the Moral Imagination The Spiritual Life of Children The Call of Service Dorothy Day: A Radical Devotion