Start by marking “Deadly Intent (Mindhunters, #4)” as Want to Read:
Deadly Intent (Mindhunters, #4)

Deadly Intent (Mindhunters #4)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  366 ratings  ·  32 reviews
No one knows the patterns and nuances of communication like forensic linguist Macy Reid. She is also an expert on kidnapping, having experienced firsthand the stark terror of being abducted when she was a child. So she is the perfect investigator to be called in when a Denver tycoon's eleven-year-old daughter is abducted - for the second time.

The biggest stumbling block fo
Mass Market Paperback, 354 pages
Published November 2nd 2010 by Berkley Sensation (first published September 30th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Deadly Intent, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Deadly Intent

Mojca
I can't believe I'm writing this, but for someone who's a great fan of Ms. Brant's first three installments in the Mindhunters series, this one came as quite a disappointment.

The first big problem was the pacing in the first half of the book. Nothing (except for the kidnapping) major happened!

The second problem were the two leads. They were just bland. There was no spark (whether when they were alone or together), no real depth, no "life". They were just there like two cardboard cutouts going th
jenjn79
After reading the first trilogy in this series, I wasn't all that impressed with it, but I'd already bought the first book in the second trilogy so I decided to keep reading. But I was pleasantly surprised with this book. The author improves on a lot of the faults I found with the first trilogy.

Series Note:
Fourth book in the "Mindhunters" series about an independent forensics agency and the people who work there. This book is actually the first of the second trilogy of the series. I think you co
Manda Collins
Nov 16, 2010 Manda Collins rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of sexy romantic suspense, fans of Karen Rose, Cynthia Eden, Roxanne St. Clair, Leslie Parrish
Fabulous continuation of Brant's Mindhunters series. DEADLY INTENT focuses on the kidnapping of the 11 year old daughter of a Bill Gate's type gazillionaire. Members of Adam Raiker's Mindhunters team sent to the scene are Kellan Burke, a smart-ass former cop with a troubled past, and forensic linguist Macy Reid. The mystery in this one is compelling and Brant did a great job of keeping me guessing about who was pulling the strings and why. Burke and Reid's relationship progressed over the course ...more
Tbabe001
This is more Tami Hoag than Karen rose style, very little romance . Very dry/boring H/h but good thriller .
Anne OK
A fantastic continuation of the "Mindhunters" series. I think "Deadly Intent" is the best one so far. Loved the storyline which was fully developed and well-written. I enjoy the smart dialog and the variation in all the characters from book to book.
SheLove2Read
Didn't wow me. I would classify this as romantic suspense without the romance. One love scene and a few stolen kisses do not make a romance for me.

The major story point - the kidnapping - was very interesting and I love love loved the little girl Ellie. She's been through the wringer that girl and manages to outsmart her kidnapper and even herself when push came to shove. I'd love to read a story about her when she's older.

We got some revealing glimpses of Raiker's past and I hope her next boo
Bookaholics
Deadly Intent by Kylie Brant
Romantic Suspense– Nov. 2nd, 2010
4 Stars

Deadly Intent is the Fourth book in Kylie Brant’s new Mindhunter series about the men and women who work for Raiker Forensics, some of the best criminologists in the world. They are sent to help investigate serious and deadly crimes.

Deadly Intent tells us the story of Forensic linguist Macy Reid who is sent along with the other members of her team to help when the 11 year old daughter of a Denver tycoon is kidnapped for the
Nath
MaggieReadsRom

When I saw DEADLY INTENT at Fiction Vixen's for review I immediately snatched it as I have Kylie Brant's first 3 Mindhunters books on my TBR-pile ever since they were released and have been looking forward to get a taste of her romantic suspense writing. When the book arrived, however, I went into a state of utter panic! Contrary to what I thought it wasn't the first book in a new trilogy/series (I'm still puzzled as to why I thought that) but it was book 4 in the Mindhunters series...b
Robin Priddy
When a Denver Tycoon's daughter is kinapped for the secxond time, he calls in the only group of people he trust to find his child. Riker Investagtions also known as the Mindhunters,. The first time his daughter was missing the Mindhunters were the ones who finally found her. Macy Reid was working on a case where she got the information about a child auction. The man who had taken the child was looking for a trade in. Macy now works for Raiker as a forensic linguist. Macy is the perfect person t ...more
Ally
Jan 30, 2011 Ally rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2011, ebook
Forensic linguist Macy Reid is an expert on kidnapping, having been abducted when she was a child. She is the perfect investigator to be called in when a Denver tycoon's eleven year old daughter is abducted for the second time. But Macy's biggest stumbling block may be a member of her own team; Kellan Burke, the wise-cracking, rule- breaking investigator who relishes getting under Macy's skin, and who just may be the man to help her confront the demons from her past.

Another book reviewed by Tori
~Megan~
4¼ stars...can I do that? Well, I did!

I love Kylie Brant's Mindhunter series....the first three books were great, but this one had a little extra for me. Maybe it was seeing more of Adam Raiker and getting to know more of his backstory. I am digging on the new storyline Brant is weaving through the books involving Raiker and his former torturer's son.

The mystery in this book had me hooked from the very beginning. Poor little Ellie Mulder who was kidnapped and held by a pedophile for 2 whole yea
Casee
I love the Mindhunter series. They are so fascinating. Each character has their own unique skill that they give to Adam Raiker’s company and it’s so obviously clear that he expects the best. In Deadly Intent, we get quite a look into Adam Raiker and what happened into his past. It was almost enough to overshadow the story of Macy and Kellan, but not quite. I think that Kylie did quite a good job of not crossing over that line but also whetting our appetite for more Adam. More, more, more.

Macy an
Lisa Jo
Macy Reid is forensic linguistics expert and consultant for Raiker Forensics. She has been paired with another employee Kellan Burke, the smart-mouthed rebellious investigator to help solve their next case. Today, they are both being sent to the home of millionaire Stephen Mulder to investigate the kidnaping of his daughter Ellie. The strange circumstance surrounding this case is the fact that this not the first time Ellie has been kidnaped. Years ago she was abducted, raped at tortured at the h ...more
Jeremy Goh
(Tori-Smexybooks) smexys_sidekick
Originally posted at http://www.smexybooks.com/2010/11/rev...

Favorite Quote: “That familiar numbness was sliding over her again. She welcomed it like an old friend. Looking straight in his eyes, she whispered, “What are you feeling right now?”

When a Denver tycoon’s 11 year old daughter is kidnapped for the 2nd time, the parents call in the renowned investigative team-Raiker Forensics. Macy Reid is a expert forensic linguist for Raiker Forensics. She is also an expert on kidnapping since she hers
Emily
Not my favorite out of the series . . . even Waking Evil was probably more enjoyable, and I thought that one was a little thin.

As others have mentioned, forensic linguist Macy isn't very developed -- which is a pity, because that's a really neat job, and one that could have been better explained and brought into the story. There's not much explanation for her attraction with Kell. The villain doesn't have so much of a big reveal, so it falls short in some of the realm of suspense.

What really got
Anika
It did not disappoint in the sense that it was thought provoking in who done it and that's what messed me up in the end. They rescued the girl but not all the bad guys were caught so to me it felt like i was left hanging. Her other books always the kill/bad guy was caught including the people who helped them but in this story that was not the case. So i do have to wonder if in her next book if that person will be found out or brought to justice. But that will only be the case if the person main ...more
Melissa
This was a little different than I am used to reading. The premise of the novel was good, but I think it lacked execution. You really don't find out who was responsible for the kidnapping, which was disappointing. I also didn't care for the way the two main characters sniped at each other constantly.t seemed to be a bit cliche to have them bickering before jumping in bed together. Overall, not a bad book, since I finished it. I just would have liked some closure.
Keri
It took a long time for the romance part of this romantic suspense to kick in for me. I just didn't feel the h/h connection until sometime after page 200. The suspense part of the book was good and I understand why the ending was left the way it was. KB is a usually a go to writer for me for romantic suspense. But even though this one missed its mark, I am looking forward to the next book in the series.
Holly (Gladriel Fae)
This one was about a forensic linguist, which was interesting. But again, the story was long.. I liked the ending however, because it left things open for the future. The case was only partially solved and I am curious to see where it goes next. The characters are interesting, more likable in this than in previous books, and all in all it was a good book.
Rachelle
A romantic suspense/crime novel about surviving abuse, facing your fears, and acknowledging that the past is always with us. Forensic investigators reserved Macy Reid and brash Kellan Burke are opposites; but Kellan changes as his relationship with Macy changes.
Katie
This book made me more interested in Adam Raiker than his investigators that were the protagonists of this story. I did think by the end it seemed more of a set up for the next book (assassin after Raiker) than something that was written on its own merit for the story.
Angie
I had no idea this was part of a series, but now I want to read the others! It does get a bit romancy at times, but the plot was good, the series suspense is visible, and the characters are very well developed!
Luann
Very well written - a real page-turner. Did not like how the ending left loose ends - I'm not sure those get resolved in the next book or not since it's different characters. Will look at this author again.
John Hanscom
This was billed as a "romance novel." I have found more "romancer" in "regular" novels, and it was an exciting adventure story, though the ending leaves space for a sequel.
Linda Miller
I enjoyed this book as I do most mystery type books that I read. This book was fast paced and full of action. I will definitely be reading another book by this author.
Vanessa
This series gets better and better w each book! HBO should consider picking up Raiker's Mindhunters as a tv series... It's suspenseful, intriguing and hot!
Mara
Good as detective story. The love story, though, was difficult to get.
Viv
A good read. Suspense was good but just a bit light on the romance for me.
  • Whisper of Warning (Glass Sisters, The #2)
  • One Scream Away (Sheridan, #1)
  • Love You to Death
  • Hide from Evil (Dead Wrong, #2)
  • Cold Touch (Extrasensory Agents, #2)
  • Deadly Lies (Deadly, #3)
  • Relentless (Suspense Series, #4)
  • Shiver of Fear (The Guardian Angelinos, #2)
  • Black at Heart (Black CATs, #3)
  • Hold On to Me (Hearts of the South, #3)
  • True Vision (True Trilogy #1)
  • Last Chance (Last Chance Rescue, #6)
The mother of five children, Kylie Brant claims she began writing to save her sanity. Plotting stories became her method of escape from the reality of constant ball games, chauffeuring kids, and refereeing "minor" disagreements between her perfect offspring.

In 1992 she was elated to get a call from Silhouette offering to buy her second novel. Home with laryngitis at the time, she still managed to
More about Kylie Brant...

Mindhunters (6 books)
  • Waking Nightmare (Mindhunters, #1)
  • Waking Evil (Mindhunters, #2)
  • Waking the Dead (Mindhunters, #3)
  • Deadly Dreams (Mindhunters, #5)
  • Deadly Sins (Mindhunters, #6)
Waking Nightmare (Mindhunters, #1) Waking the Dead (Mindhunters, #3) Waking Evil (Mindhunters, #2) Deadly Dreams (Mindhunters, #5) Deadly Sins (Mindhunters, #6)