Start by marking “Underground” as Want to Read:
Underground

Underground

3.66  ·  Rating Details  ·  119 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
A conflict over Stillwater Cave forces two rangers to flee deep under the mountains, first to escape pursuers, and then the most deadliest threat -- the cave itself! This volume collects the critically acclaimed mini-series by Jeff Parker and Steve Lieber and includes extra material including a Wesley Fischer solo story.
Published May 18th 2010 by Image Comics (first published May 5th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Underground, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Underground

Jacobi
Jan 31, 2015 Jacobi rated it really liked it
Shelves: trades-read
I've had a passing interest in spelunking ever since seeing The Descent. It isn't something I'm sure I will ever do, but I really like the setting of caves, and they seem like a more interesting place than most to set a story. Hell, for as shitty as it was, I even enjoyed aspects of The Cave (Cole Hauser represent) because of where the story was placed.

Underground isn't a horror story, though, as much as it is one that focuses on a chase. I won't say the why fors of why the leads are on the run,
Cale
Aug 02, 2013 Cale rated it really liked it
This story, of park rangers who get chased into a dangerous, barely-explored cave system, is really enjoyable. The art is impressive, considering most of it is inside a cave, barely lit. the use of monochromatic color schemes works well for that, and contrasts the outside world sections well. The plot is a bit threadbare in the motivations for the cave sections, but there are a couple of action beats that work really well; although there's also one that's a bit too complicated to be clearly inte ...more
Rick
Jun 01, 2010 Rick rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Underground tackles unusual topics for comic books. In Marion, KY, investors want to develop the federally-protected Stillwater Cave into a tourist trap. After park rangers Wesley Fischer -- caver and ardent protector of the Stillwater site -- and Seth Ridge confront locals blasting the cave, events quickly spiral into a deadly chase deep under the Kentucky mountains. Believable and likable characters propel this fast moving tale. Parker presents the separate viewpoints of the factions in an inf ...more
Connie
This reads as a compact, suspenseful short story. The cave setting was different and the plot wasn't what I expected. Overall, an enjoyable read.
Jordi Balcells
Oct 29, 2010 Jordi Balcells rated it really liked it
I normally do not read comic-books that are not fantasy / sci-fi related. When I do read those, it's because they are pretty famous, and the theme picks my interest. Caves and rangers are not usually my cup of tea, but Mr. Lieber, one of the authors, made it interesting by treating readers as fans and not as pirates when he discovered that his work was being shared for free on the Internet. I am glad I gave it a chance, it was a good read.

The e-comic is available for download on the author's web
Gina
Dec 01, 2014 Gina rated it really liked it
Really gripping. There are some throat-tightening sequences.
Pturingan
Oct 11, 2010 Pturingan rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I completely enjoyed this comic. The story was very fast-paced, thrilling and fairly unique. Caves and caving are a big thing where I'm from and I was quite glad to see a comic use it as a setting while bringing to light some of the issues related to caving.

I also enjoyed Steve Lieber's art more here than I did in Whiteout. There are a number of great scenes which really highlight the drama and danger of a cave setting.

I'm hoping the series sold well enough that the creators seriously consider a
Gretchen
Feb 10, 2014 Gretchen rated it really liked it
Good art, good story.
April Schultz
Feb 25, 2013 April Schultz rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
This is a graphic novel about a park ranger who works at a park with a natural cave system that is closed to the public. A rich business man wants to open the caves to the public to increase revenue for the town but the park staff is against it because the natural formations in the cave will be damaged in the process. Cue shady dealings by the business man, explosions, hurt staff, and a breathless chase through the cave system.

It was all very awesome and I wanna read more adventure comics just
Ula
Apr 20, 2011 Ula rated it it was ok
Some good art but I wasn't crazy about the story. Maybe it was too short? For a GN set firmly in the real world, the characters were a bit over the top extreme and the dramatic scenes just weren't long enough to keep it very interesting. And the ending with the restaurant workers seemed a bit too "Fried Green Tomatoes".
Bill Williams
Oct 17, 2011 Bill Williams rated it it was amazing
Jeff Parker and Steve Lieber have come together to create a tight little crime comic that takes place in a cave system. It's a slow speed chase that builds to a fist-fight that ties together the various moving parts of the story. Underground is a fine piece of graphic fiction by two creative guys at the top of their form.
Gord
Feb 12, 2011 Gord rated it really liked it
A stand alone graphic novel. The problem I have with these is that they're just never long enough to give characters proper depth and give the story arc more roller coaster hills. I felt like just when this story was really starting to move... it ends. Its too bad caz it was a WYSIWYG story which is good for a stand alone.
Alan
Jun 23, 2010 Alan rated it liked it
A difernent story as we have park rangers traveling through caverns as they try to escape a developer who wants his actions in the park covered up. The highlight is Steve Leiber's artwork. The plot is all right, and while this is a novella very little depth is given to the characters.
Nick Fagerlund
Oct 27, 2012 Nick Fagerlund rated it liked it
Insert something here about compressors and the radio loudness war, and how action movies (and this comic is an action movie) have a similar inflationary scale. This is kind of the equivalent of putting on an old Sabbath record and having to crank the knob a bit.

Anyway, I liked it.
Nathan Hyde
Apr 06, 2012 Nathan Hyde rated it really liked it
While I felt some of the panes were a little difficult to understand exactly what was happening due to the posturing of the figures, overall this was an enjoyable and different book. I don't recall having read or seen a caving graphic novel before.
Steve
Jun 02, 2011 Steve rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
Decent little thriller about a corrupt businessman trying to line his own pockets by exploiting a natural resource and the park rangers trying to stop him. Good art, decent plot, nice message. Worth a read.
Steven
Surprised at how Lieber was able to keep the cave scenes interesting and easy to follow.
Rich
Jul 05, 2011 Rich rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Very solid visual story telling. The reprinted
Short story was a blast.
Mikebo
Mikebo added it
Feb 01, 2016
Pat Moran
Pat Moran is currently reading it
Jan 25, 2016
Aaron
Aaron rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Rod Brown
Rod Brown rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2016
Peter
Peter rated it liked it
Dec 06, 2015
Patrick Shearer
Patrick Shearer marked it as to-read
Nov 06, 2015
Joey Harris
Joey Harris rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2015
Joel La
Joel La marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2015
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2015
Marty Abercrombie
Marty Abercrombie rated it it was amazing
Sep 02, 2015
Melody Schreiber
Melody Schreiber marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
More about Jeff Parker...