Start by marking “The Big Bamboo LP” as Want to Read:
The Big Bamboo LP

The Big Bamboo LP (Serge Storms #8)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  1,794 ratings  ·  90 reviews
Serge A. Storms returns!

The world's most beloved serial killer is back with an Oscar-worthy cast of Sunshine State nut jobs and his insatiable passion for All Things Florida.

During this latest cavalcade of nonstop felonies—from Tampa to Fort Lauderdale to Orlando—Serge finds time to resurrect his obsession with movies, particularly those showcasing his beloved home state.
Paperback, Large Print, 492 pages
Published April 3rd 2007 by WmMorrow (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about The Big Bamboo LP, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Bamboo LP

Sandi
While I loved the first three books in this series this is the second in a row that was just barely OK. Serge is still his manic self but the plot was even less coherent than usual and the whole Hollywood setting just set my teeth on edge. The narration of the audio by the always good George Wilson was the only reason I finished.
Lisa Weber
I listened to this as an audio book, and I really wasn't sure what to expect. I had read some of the reviews, and I didn't think I'd like it. At first, I didn't. It's silly. After a while though, I began to enjoy Tim Dorsey's particular brand of silly. I don't know why I like it, but I really do, and I would be happy to read more Tim Dorsey.

Go in with no expectations, and enjoy!
Judy
Considering my aversion to Hollywood and my need for a humorous book, this seemed to fit the bill nicely. At times it was extremely funny and at other times just plain silly. Regardless, it was a very light read and for the most part fun. If it wasn't for a few very over-used cliches and a really bad ending I would definitely give it another star.
Cheryl Gatling
I had not read any of the other books in the series, so I had no idea what to expect. I read almost a full chapter before I realized, hey, this is funny! But only if you don't think about it too much. Serge Storms is a psychopath. He talks constantly, and his mind goes ping-ping-ping from one subject to another. He was raised by a team of con men, and he has branched out to include murdering people he thinks deserve it. His partner, Coleman, is continually intoxicated, and adds nothing to Serge' ...more
P.C. Zick
I like Tim Dorsey's satirical novels for the most part. He takes a serial killer and turns him into a hero in Serge Storms. In a land where many unsavory things are held up as virtuous, Dorsey forces his readers to recognize the absurdity of our culture, particularly the deranged ones in the Sunshine State. For The Big Bambo he left Florida for the glitz and glamor of the gold rush we know of as Hollywood.

Serge and Coleman are once again a part of the novel, but not prominently at first, and I m
Tim Dunn
Honestly, it's been a while since I've read it, and all of Tim Dorsey's books to me are very good, and I've read every last one, so one general old timey review.....two thumbs up....for all of them.
Les Edgerton
Every time I run into Serge Storms in Tim Dorsey's books, I like him more and more. Just wished he lived in my neighborhood!

Dorsey's books all crackle!
Jack
In my opinion the book where Dorsey most perfectly blends an exquisite plot with the inspired, if morbidly black comedy of Serge and Coleman.
Anthony
Great book. This was the second book by Dorsey that I have read and I liked it as much as I did Atomic Lobster. Taking place in Hollywood it takes a behind the scenes look at movie deals, corruption, drugs, spoiled actors and actresses, producers and writers. Everybody is playing someone so they can get their shot at stardom. Throw Serge and Coleman in the mix and you get quite a story. I liked the back story about Serge's grandfather because it gave some insight into how Serge became the way he ...more
Kara Jorges
Mr. Dorsey can’t always be “on,” and Torpedo Juice is a hard act to follow, so the latest falls near the bottom of my Dorsey list. If this was the first Dorsey book I’d read, would I read another? Yes. It’s just that this one falls a little flat. Maybe it’s because Dorsey isn’t at home in LA like he is in Miami, but this story was just a lot of following Serge and Coleman on their frenetic tour of LA when they weren’t doing much of anything.

Because of a scam his grandfather pulled, Serge goes to
Neil
This is my first encounter with Dorsey, and I'm not sure what to make of it. He's kind of like Carl Hiaasen, but more over the top. This is an all-out spoof of the film industry. Most of the jokes (evil producers, vapid stars, everyone has a screenplay, endless parties that no one seems to enjoy, etc.) feel a little recycled, but the overall effect is still amusing in a madcap way.

Drawn west from Florida by Serge's interest in the movie industry and his dying grandfather, Serge and stoner buddy
Alpha
"Serge is back but this time around he is traveling to the West Coast, most preferably to Hollywood to convince all the bigwigs of the movie industry to do all their filmmaking back in Florida. This new adventure Serge is going on was actually exciting to read since he hardly to never steps out of Florida. I actually learned that originally the movie industry was here in Florida. The state I live in was supposed to be the Hollywood to the stars and maybe that is why Florida has a Hollywood city ...more
Traummachine
I was really surprised by how mediocre this book was! I thought maybe my mood just didn't match the book, so I even put it down about halfway through, read another book and then came back to it. Nope, still really disappointing. I remember really loving everything Dorsey wrote before this, so what happened? The last one I read, Torpedo Juice, was back in 2008. Have my tastes changed so much?

I realize that not everything a favorite author puts out will be a gem, and I realize that they (like ever
Lana.
Serge and Coleman are off to Hollywood! And readers are in for a treat as Serge pulls everyone along into the glitz, glamour, trivia, and general ridiculousness of all that glitters.

Things go hilariously awry for Hollywood executives when the kidnappers they hire for a scam end up being Serge and Coleman. Yes, there are blood and explosions and plenty of tabloid headlines, but there may be some in each category you might not have expected.

Really wish I was reading / listening to these in order
Christina Harris
I thought Stingray was the best I had read so far, but after picking up this little gem I am so torn on my favorite from him.

Quotes, I can't even begin to start,

Coleman came to a lot in this book, more so then my memory of him in previous novels.

The play of movies throughout the book, as incorporated in the book, classic Dorsey novel - picking a subject and writing around it, by putting it in the novel - mind blown :)
Kelly
Comparing this novel to Tim Dorsey's other Serge A. Storms plots, I'd recommend Florida Roadkill and Triggerfish Twist over this one. Serge and Coleman are one of my favorite dynamic duos; their banter makes for some phenomenal laughs. And Sharon always rounds out the party, so she was sorely missed from this one. Note to self: keep reading novels based in Florida to try and distract myself from this cold, snowy winter. :)
Brett
Yes, Serge Storms continues to be the most likable accidental serial killer out there (he doesn't mean to, it's just that there are so many people out there who need to be killed) & laugh-out-loud hilarious. This book takes a very different direction from past entries by taking place almost entirely outside of Florida. True, Serge & the gang have had brief forays as far out as New York City, but the major part of the action always centers around Florida, the state Serge loves more than a ...more
Joyce
good reads summary: His marriage plans fizzled, so Floridaphile serial killer Serge A. Storms is on a new mission: to convince the West Coast movie industry bigwigs to do their business in his beloved Sunshine State. So it's off to Tinseltown with his substance-sustained sidekick, Coleman to schmooze with craven cokehead producers and visiting Yakuza, who are wrestling to salvage the most disastrous big-budget stinkeroo in the history of celluloid . . . and to radically reduce the rampaging popu ...more
Ben Mason
This is my first encounter with Dorsey. Maybe it's because I just had my first encounter with Faulkner, but I couldn't make it 100 pages into this. I know that doesn't give him a chance to even fully set up the plot, but I just couldn't bear to make it that far. It's a slapstick serial killer (part of a saga, judging from the back cover) but doesn't take itself quite seriously enough to make me care. I knew it would be lighthearted, but I didn't realize it was made lighter by tropes and poor wri ...more
Lulu Astor
Four stars only because it can be very confusing but Dorsey writes a hilarious novel that's just so much fun. Don't read it on the train or bus or a park bench because you'll be giggling like an idiot and will look like one. If you want a kooky fun read, go for this one.
It was an OK story, but I didn't really like the manner in which it was written. I think it could have been better, if the author had made the pieces of the story flow better as he told them instead of jumping all over. I guess the point was it was like movie, with a scene from this building to show what is going on in each characters life at that point, but I found it a bit confusing. The story itself is good with a really interesting twist. This author was so talked up to me, that I was disapp ...more
Bill
Any book starring a humorous serial killer is bound to be funny, right? Well, no. Maybe not.

First off, this is probably about 100 pages too long, or close to it. It's frankly just exhausting to read this kind of madcap adventure and keep it all straight, in my opinion. And, unfortunately, while the book starts off with some laugh out loud stuff, either it doesn't keep it up, or the jokes get old. I can't tell.

Not altogether horrible by any means, but I'd look elsewhere for a pleasant (and serial
Les Gehman
Once again Tim Dorsey knocks it out of the park with another wild ride with Serge Storms. I'm not going to give away any of the plot. Suffice it to say that Serge is his usual manic self, obsessed with Florida history and "historic" places, and this time completely obsessed with movies. There are the usual gruesome deaths, crazy car chases, and wild parties. A very worthy addition to the Serge story.
Erik
This was terrible. No two ways about it. The plot sounded interesting, and could have been very good. But the dialogue was atrocious with lines like "You just murdered the famous actress Alley Street" or "Look there's boy band heartthrob Jason Geddy" . And with "current" celebrity references to Cher and Cindy Crawford, along with swipes at tourists and their "instamatics", and you can see this is cutting edge stuff. I gave up before I got to the Bernie Getz and Ronald Regan jokes.
Sean
A fun book for audio--great for driving, the gym, just walking around. As a novel in itself, probably not my favorite of Dorsey's series. Serge Storms, Dorsey's anti-hero, a hypermanic charismatic killer (but, like Dexter, another charismatic anti-hero serial killer from Florida, he only kills the bad guys) actually seems a bit subdued compared to previous outings. Despite giving this one only three stars, I'm still looking forward to reading more of Dorsey's Serge books.
Rebecca Huston
While this one wasn't as good as the previous books in the series, Serge is still in top form as the most creative serial killer out there. The locale this time is Southern California, with an emphasis on movies. The cast includes some old favourites, along with Japanese Yakuza, the Redneck Mafia, movie moguls, and starlets.

For the complete, longer review, please go here:
George Hamblen
Loved the book. Tim Dorsey at his best. Who knew Serge had a few relatives? Nice send up of both Florida and Hollywood...
Christine
Dec 07, 2008 Christine rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: HST fans
Recommended to Christine by: Dad
Exactly what I expected... Hoffman/Thompson blend. I'll keep reading.. but it feels somewhat forced, not the same natural flow the the traditional "gonzo" style ...
As I continued on Dorsey articulated a newer fresher style than the one encompassed in the beginning of the book. I enjoyed finishing the book. I'd recommend it to anyone who's enjoyed thompson or hoffman books... as well as anyone needing a quick funny sometimes scattered read.
Alison
I have to admit, I wasn't sure where this was going but it tied together in end and I did laugh out loud a lot. Especially the way Coleman gives proof of life over the phone "Ok, I'm standing next to her holding up a copy of todays paper." Some of the things that came out of Coleman and Serge's mouths really did make me laugh even if I had no idea where the book was going until it tied it all together in the end. It was a good laugh.
  • Air Dance Iguana
  • Paradise Screwed: Selected Columns
  • Mangrove Squeeze
  • Dark Light
  • Bahamarama
Tim Dorsey was born in Indiana, moved to Florida at the age of 1, and grew up in a small town about an hour north of Miami called Riviera Beach. He graduated from Auburn University in 1983. While at Auburn, he was editor of the student newspaper, The Plainsman.

From 1983 to 1987, he was a police and courts reporter for The Alabama Journal, the now-defunct evening newspaper in Montgomery. He joined
More about Tim Dorsey...

Serge Storms (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Florida Roadkill (Serge Storms, #1)
  • Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms, #2)
  • Orange Crush (Serge Storms, #3)
  • Triggerfish Twist (Serge Storms, #4)
  • The Stingray Shuffle (Serge Storms, #5)
  • Cadillac Beach (Serge Storms, #6)
  • Torpedo Juice (Serge Storms, #7)
  • Hurricane Punch (Serge Storms, #9)
  • Atomic Lobster (Serge Storms, #10)
  • Nuclear Jellyfish (Serge Storms, #11)
Florida Roadkill (Serge Storms, #1) Hammerhead Ranch Motel (Serge Storms, #2) The Stingray Shuffle (Serge Storms, #5) Triggerfish Twist (Serge Storms, #4) Hurricane Punch (Serge Storms, #9)

“She knew my buttons and kept pressing them like an epileptic in an arcade. If it’s any consolation, I gave her fair warning.” “Oh, my God!” 0 likes
“The best life is when your dreams come true. The second best is when they don’t, but you never stop chasing.” 0 likes