Start by marking “The Witness ” as Want to Read:
The Witness

The Witness

3.95 of 5 stars 3.95  ·  rating details  ·  10,035 ratings  ·  494 reviews
Kendall Deaton pulls herself and her baby out of a wrecked car, and a mixture of courage and fear gets her to the top of a ravine, where she flags down help. But she doesn't dare reveal her true identity to the authorities. Instead, she plans her immediate escape. Her perilous flight begins. The best public defender in Prosper, South Carolina, Kendall had stumbled upon the ...more
Audiobook, Unabridged Playaway, 13 pages
Published December 1st 2009 by Findaway World (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Witness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witness

A car crash, on a rainy night, leaves three survivors, a baby boy, a man who is badly injured, and Kendall Deaton. Kendall has secrets and she knows if these secrets are revealed to the wrong people, her life won’t be worth living.

This is a book where you cannot really say too much about the storyline without giving something away. Another solid read from Ms Brown. Yes, I will be checking out more of her books.

Her priority is her child. She had a see
 photo thewitnesscollage_zpsc87fe17c.jpg

Another fantastic read! I guess you could say I am on a little bit of a Sandra Brown kick right now. But I have to say her books are so freaking good. I’ve even started another one!

Where do I begin…

The Witness is told between the present and the past. It is story about a women name Kendall Deaton. On a rainy night there is an awful car crash. The survivors are Kendall, her baby boy and an injured man John. Falling under a web of lies and secrets, Kendall tells yet another lie to keep herself a
 photo IMGP0003___60_F071_00800_038_DA18-55WR_K-5.jpg

Ok… I know, I give everyone 5 stars. What can I say? I have read some phenomenal books. And Sandra Brown is partly the reason for that. This woman can write a story like no other. Not to say that all her books are this good, but I pick and choose based on the reviews… and I have yet to be disappointed.

photo 415397aa-d28d-46a0-8451-8f20dc720404.jpg

The Witness is Kendall Deaton’s story. On the run for her life, Kendall pulls herself and her baby from the wreckage of an automobile accident in the mountains of North Carolina. She is a
Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover and KA Addict ❤️
4.5 Suspenseful Stars!!

WOW! This story had lots of long hidden town secrets and plenty of lies. Kendall is the new Public Defender just married into a prominent family, Matt is the town's Newpaper owner and Editor, he seems to be the perfect catch, in the beginning of their married life together the only thing Kendall had to worry about was her intrusive and invasive father-in-law Gibb and the hold he seems to have over Matt.

Soon enough she stumbles (literally) over something so horrific it's
Amy (Foxy)
What would you be willing to do to protect your child's life?

Kendall and her baby are fugitives running from the bad guys. Late one evening Kendall accidentally stumbles upon an execution scene and is discovered. She becomes the next on the Brotherhoods' list to execute.

While on the run Kendall creates a false life and kidnaps a man in her attempt to escape the Brotherhood. The Brotherhood has vast resources and is determined to find her and preform their own justice on her.

Blood Rose Books
Sandra Brown brings together another mystery thriller that explores what happens when a small town will go to great length to protect their secrets

Kendall Deaton is the new public defender of a small town, where they were not expecting to hire a women for the job and they make it known. From the first news article it is questioned whether she can handle the job or not, but Kendall is willing to prove them all wrong, this is the opportunity she has been waiting. And she does, even ends up marryin
missEvi [can't commit to a book]

The first half of the book is intriguing, but the second half is boring as hell. Plus, I could not connect with the characters.
Susan (the other Susan)
UPDATE: Feb 24. Did I say this wasn't as awful as I remembered? I misspoke. Every point is delivered via sledgehammer, in case we readers are slow on the uptake. Hillbillies not quite loathsome enough? Throw in a mention of (view spoiler) As villainous as the villains are her ...more
Rachel Regina
Overall rating: 4.5 stars!!!!! (Seriously if I would have had an (view spoiler)

Cheating: (view spoiler)
Love triangle: (view spoiler)
Sex with om/ow: (view spoiler)
Wow! I love Ms. Brown's book and tis one was not an exception!

Unfortunately I had a lousy epub full errors, so I got often lost while reading, but that didn't detract from my liking this book!

The story is very complex and inetersting and I loved how the heroine, Kendall was behaving. She was in a very bad situation, but she made the most of what she has at heand to overcome it! Just excellent!

Reading this book is like solving a puzzle and I enjoyed every moment!
Review of audiobook version narrated by Joyce Bean.

What a crazy book! I don’t know that I’ve ever been so enthralled by a plot that I ultimately found silly. The audiobook is 13+ hrs long and I listened to it in less than a day so you can tell how absorbed I was by the story. The action was exciting, there was incredible chemistry between the main leads and there were a lot of good twists. The big problem? Very little of the book dealt with the relationship between the hero and heroine (if I hav
Oct 08, 2011 Jonetta rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jonetta by: Christina
Kendall Deaton is a public defender in Prosper, South Carolina. She's on the run after witnessing something explosive. As if it wasn't enough to be on the lam from those in Prosper that want her dead, she's also trying to elude the Feds who want her as a material witness. Lastly, she's absconded with am amnesiac who she claims as her husband. To say more would spoil your reading experience.

The use of flashbacks as a device made this an extremely interesting and compelling story. It took time to
I received this book free through goodreads' giveaway. Thank you.

I hadn't read Sandra Brown in a long time. Most of what I had read were of the romance variety, and I was pleased to read this captivating thriller. I finished it in 2 days!

Kendall is a public defender living in Prosper, North Carolina. We are introduced to her as she is in a car accident on a slick country road, where she falls down a ravine with three other people. One person dies, one gets amnesia, and Kendall and her baby are h
Kristina Jo
Kat Irvine
Sandra Brown does not disappoint with this fast-paced exciting novel. Chilling reveals, plot twists, well-developed characters, and the right combination of love, mystery and murder make this a true page turner.

While some of the story line was far-fetched, this literary soap opera kept me interested and wanting to know what happened next.

If you're looking for a fast-moving, easy read this book is a great choice.
Reading Sarah
Skimming was the only way I could get through this book. The characters were flat and more like caricatures and none of them likeable. The "mystery" of the author not revealing any of what was really going on went on for FAR, FAR, FAR too long. And amnesia, despite being an awful plot device, also needed to be researched a whole lot more before Sandra Brown decided to use it in ways that make no sense.

4/5 stars

This wasn't my favorite Sandra Brown book, but it's still really good.
I wasn't a fan of the bigotry, sexism and racism, but it's needed for the story.
John was great and I also liked Kendall.
What I love about Sandra's books is that the women are not just airheads in the middle of a crime, but actually wellrounded and smart women.
I absolutely loved this book! It was a breath of fresh air..especially from all the contemporary romance books I've been reading!

I loved John's character, especially in his amnesia phase! It was like we the readers were experiencing a bout of amnesia as well since we had no idea what was going on and the only person with the answers was Kendell.

That scene with Micheal had me gagging (and not in a good way)! My mind tends to visualize everything, and I mean everything, when I read and I'm tellin
Uno de los mejores libros de intriga que he leído en mucho tiempo. Es cierto que la forma de narrar la historia al principio no me convencía, (no voy a dar detalles para no spoilear) pero al final ha acabado enganchándome tanto que me ha dado igual.
La historia tiene unos personajes muy bien perfilados, Kendall es una protagonista que va a hacer todo, absolutamente todo lo necesario para proteger su vida y la de su hijo, es fuerte, es lista y tiene unos principios que no se tambalean facilmente.
Jun 12, 2014 Julianna rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Romantic Suspense, Karen Rose
Reviewed for THC Reviews
"4.5 stars" The Witness was my first read by Sandra Brown, and overall, it did not disappoint. The suspense/thriller aspect of the story was excellent. It did take a little while to get going for me, and during the first half or so, I didn't necessarily find it to be un-put-downable. I think this was mainly owing to the scenes in the present not being as compelling, due to the reader not really knowing what's going on. The scenes from the heroine's past, however, were ver
Katherine St. Vincent 黄爱芬
Kendall Deaton ditugaskan utk menjadi pengacara di kota kecil Prosper. Disana Kendall membangun karier sekaligus menikahi Matt Burnwood, anak sesepuh di kota Prosper, Gibb Burnwood. Sampai pada suatu hari Kendall menangkap basah suaminya main gila dengan Lottie Lynam yang ternyata adalah cinta pertama dan satu2 nya dari suaminya. Bukannya menyesali kesalahannya, Matt pergi meninggalkan Kendall yang tanpa sepengetahuannya menguntit Matt. Dan betapa terkejutnya Kendall ketika mengetahui suami dan ...more
Kendall Deaton seems to have it all - a challenging job as a public defender in Prosper, South Carolina and a handsome, successful husband (Matt). So what if her father-in-law (Gibb) seems to be a little too involved in their lives; after all, Matt is his only child and he welcomes Keaton into the family with open arms. Fast forward a few months. Kendall is ecstatic to find out she's pregnant and can't wait to tell Matt. Before she can, however, she finds him in the arms of another woman, a woma ...more
Kendall Deaton survives an auto accident that killed one other passenger. She pulls herself, the man driving, and her infant son up out of the ravine. They are rescued and taken to the local hospital. She is only bruised. The man has broken his leg and has a concussion. When he wakes up and asks "Who am I?" Kendall looks him in the eye and says "My husband."
The man is certain she is lying. Yet she knows things about him a wife would know, like his clothing sizes. He knows something is not right
I received this book as part of Goodreads giveaways and first reads.

This audiobook really emphasised why I shouldn't even bother with audiobooks. I just end up zoning out and using the audio as white noise. I can't just sit back, close my eyes and let the story wash over me. Instead, I go about doing whatever I'm doing, and half the time end up reading something else.

I got about two CDs through before I finally threw up my hands and turned it off. Joyce Bean is a lovely narrator, and apparently
Just who is Kendall Deaton? The wife of a prominent editor of the town's newspaper. A public defender making a name on her own. A mother of a 3 month old baby. And someone on the run.

THE WITNESS is about a fairy-tale marriage in modern times that progressively goes downhill. The story is not perfect by any means but you have some really nasty villains, a heroine who lies (and lies about lies) and a man who gives chase. Add some great chemistry to the mix and try to keep up with everything that h
this was interestingly mysterious right from the start & the whole way threw. joanna gleason had a good character voice range. but no pause between changing scenes, which threw you off a little.
Diana Hockley
Graphic violence is something you need to be aware of if you read this book. Having said that, I got through it and admire Sandra Brown for her clever writing and fast-paced plot.

This book is 17 years old and I am sure the fanatics around today haven't changed from the ones in this book. Heaven forbid that the likes of the Burnwoods are operating happily in the Deep South.

I read the novel in a few hours, it was easy to read - physically easy to read, not emotionally - and shows Ms Brown's skills
The Witness 14 68 Feb 01, 2015 11:18AM
Sanda Brown Super...: The Witness 1 3 Jul 29, 2014 04:25PM
  • Kiss Me While I Sleep (CIA Spies, #3)
  • What She Doesn't Know
  • Running Scared (Rarities Unlimited, #2)
  • The Midnight Hour
  • Cry Wolf (Doucet, #3)
  • Bodyguard
  • Where There Is Evil
  • The Hunt (Predator Trilogy, #2)
  • Twice Kissed
  • Dead Silence (Stillwater Trilogy, #1)

Sandra Brown is the author of more than sixty New York Times bestsellers, including MEAN STREAK (2014), DEADLINE(2013), LOW PRESSURE (2012), LETHAL (2011), TOUGH CUSTOMER (2010), SMASH CUT (2009), & SMOKE SCREEN (2008).

Brown began her writing career in 1981 and since t
More about Sandra Brown...
Lethal The Alibi Mean Streak Ricochet Chill Factor

“capabilities. She” 0 likes
“His eyes reconnected with hers, and she wondered if he remembered that they were an unusual shade of gray, which most people found arresting and which lying witnesses found disconcerting. When his gaze lowered” 0 likes