Start by marking “The Witness ” as Want to Read:
The Witness

The Witness

3.96  ·  Rating Details  ·  11,699 Ratings  ·  594 Reviews
Kendall Deaton pulls herself and her baby out of a wrecked car, and a mixture of courage and fear gets her to the top of a ravine, where she flags down help. But she doesnt dare reveal her true identity to the authorities. Instead, she plans her immediate escape. Her perilous flight begins. The best public defender in Prosper, South Carolina, Kendall had stumbled upon the ...more
Audiobook, Unabridged Playaway, 13 pages
Published December 1st 2009 by Findaway World (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about The Witness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Witness

Mo
Feb 03, 2014 Mo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

A car crash, on a rainy night, leaves three survivors, a baby boy, a man who is badly injured, and Kendall Deaton. Kendall has secrets and she knows if these secrets are revealed to the wrong people, her life won’t be worth living.

This is a book where you cannot really say too much about the storyline without giving something away. Another solid read from Ms Brown. Yes, I will be checking out more of her books.

STORM BEFORE SUNSET.
MARK MY WORDS

Her priority is her child. She had a see
♥Sharon♥
Oct 16, 2014 ♥Sharon♥ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
 photo thewitnesscollage_zpsc87fe17c.jpg

Another fantastic read! I guess you could say I am on a little bit of a Sandra Brown kick right now. But I have to say her books are so freaking good. I’ve even started another one!

Where do I begin…

The Witness is told between the present and the past. It is story about a women name Kendall Deaton. On a rainy night there is an awful car crash. The survivors are Kendall, her baby boy and an injured man John. Falling under a web of lies and secrets, Kendall tells yet another lie to keep herself a
Karen
Jan 29, 2015 Karen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
5 STARS
 photo IMGP0003___60_F071_00800_038_DA18-55WR_K-5.jpg

Ok… I know, I give everyone 5 stars. What can I say? I have read some phenomenal books. And Sandra Brown is partly the reason for that. This woman can write a story like no other. Not to say that all her books are this good, but I pick and choose based on the reviews… and I have yet to be disappointed.

photo 415397aa-d28d-46a0-8451-8f20dc720404.jpg

The Witness is Kendall Deaton’s story. On the run for her life, Kendall pulls herself and her baby from the wreckage of an automobile accident in the mountains of North Carolina. She is a
Dorsey aka ❤️ Wrath Lover and KA Addict ❤️
4.5 Suspenseful Stars!!

WOW! This story had lots of long hidden town secrets and plenty of lies. Kendall is the new Public Defender just married into a prominent family, Matt is the town's Newpaper owner and Editor, he seems to be the perfect catch, in the beginning of their married life together the only thing Kendall had to worry about was her intrusive and invasive father-in-law Gibb and the hold he seems to have over Matt.

Soon enough she stumbles (literally) over something so horrific it's
Amy (Foxy)
What would you be willing to do to protect your child's life?

Kendall and her baby are fugitives running from the bad guys. Late one evening Kendall accidentally stumbles upon an execution scene and is discovered. She becomes the next on the Brotherhoods' list to execute.

While on the run Kendall creates a false life and kidnaps a man in her attempt to escape the Brotherhood. The Brotherhood has vast resources and is determined to find her and preform their own justice on her.

THE WITNESS was p
Blood Rose Books
Sandra Brown brings together another mystery thriller that explores what happens when a small town will go to great length to protect their secrets

Kendall Deaton is the new public defender of a small town, where they were not expecting to hire a women for the job and they make it known. From the first news article it is questioned whether she can handle the job or not, but Kendall is willing to prove them all wrong, this is the opportunity she has been waiting. And she does, even ends up marryin
missEvi [can't commit to a book]

The first half of the book is intriguing, but the second half is boring as hell. Plus, I could not connect with the characters.
Rachel Regina
Overall rating: 4.5 stars!!!!! (Seriously if I would have had an (view spoiler)

Triggers:
Cheating: (view spoiler)
Love triangle: (view spoiler)
Sex with om/ow: (view spoiler)
Susan (the other Susan)
UPDATE: Feb 24. Did I say this wasn't as awful as I remembered? I misspoke. Every point is delivered via sledgehammer, in case we readers are slow on the uptake. Hillbillies not quite loathsome enough? Throw in a mention of (view spoiler) As villainous as the villains are her ...more
Ya~
Jan 11, 2016 Ya~ rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sandra-brown
The villain was the most inhumane person I’ve read from Brown’s books. The story was compelling and every character got a multi-layered tier of secrets. 4* for the suspense, and mystery. Worth reading!
D.G.
Review of audiobook version narrated by Joyce Bean.

What a crazy book! I don’t know that I’ve ever been so enthralled by a plot that I ultimately found silly. The audiobook is 13+ hrs long and I listened to it in less than a day so you can tell how absorbed I was by the story. The action was exciting, there was incredible chemistry between the main leads and there were a lot of good twists. The big problem? Very little of the book dealt with the relationship between the hero and heroine (if I hav
Mei
Apr 20, 2015 Mei rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: contemporary
Wow! I love Ms. Brown's book and tis one was not an exception!

Unfortunately I had a lousy epub full errors, so I got often lost while reading, but that didn't detract from my liking this book!

The story is very complex and inetersting and I loved how the heroine, Kendall was behaving. She was in a very bad situation, but she made the most of what she has at heand to overcome it! Just excellent!

Reading this book is like solving a puzzle and I enjoyed every moment!
Alexandra
Mar 13, 2016 Alexandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read
Setelah Envy aku belum menemukan buku SB lain yang bisa memberikan getaran kuat yang sama, sampai aku membaca prolog The Witness.

Di antara novel-novel lain yang memberikan heroine super lemah lembut, baik dan harus dilindungi. The Witness memberikan seorang heroine kuat yang pandai memanipulasi. Kendall adalah pembohong lihai yang berprofesi sebagai pengacara. Tapi dia adalah pribadi cerdas yang memanipulasi fakta real demi melindungi keselamatan hidupnya. John, tampil khas ala hero SB yang ber
Jonetta
Oct 08, 2011 Jonetta rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jonetta by: Christina
Kendall Deaton is a public defender in Prosper, South Carolina. She's on the run after witnessing something explosive. As if it wasn't enough to be on the lam from those in Prosper that want her dead, she's also trying to elude the Feds who want her as a material witness. Lastly, she's absconded with am amnesiac who she claims as her husband. To say more would spoil your reading experience.

The use of flashbacks as a device made this an extremely interesting and compelling story. It took time to
Jody
Jan 12, 2012 Jody rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received this book free through goodreads' giveaway. Thank you.

I hadn't read Sandra Brown in a long time. Most of what I had read were of the romance variety, and I was pleased to read this captivating thriller. I finished it in 2 days!

Kendall is a public defender living in Prosper, North Carolina. We are introduced to her as she is in a car accident on a slick country road, where she falls down a ravine with three other people. One person dies, one gets amnesia, and Kendall and her baby are h
Kristina Jo
Jan 28, 2015 Kristina Jo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Melissa
Oct 08, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sandra Brown does not disappoint with this fast-paced exciting novel. Chilling reveals, plot twists, well-developed characters, and the right combination of love, mystery and murder make this a true page turner.

While some of the story line was far-fetched, this literary soap opera kept me interested and wanting to know what happened next.

If you're looking for a fast-moving, easy read this book is a great choice.
Reading Sarah
Skimming was the only way I could get through this book. The characters were flat and more like caricatures and none of them likeable. The "mystery" of the author not revealing any of what was really going on went on for FAR, FAR, FAR too long. And amnesia, despite being an awful plot device, also needed to be researched a whole lot more before Sandra Brown decided to use it in ways that make no sense.

Ugh.
Helen Deakin
Apr 22, 2016 Helen Deakin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another outstanding book from Sandra Brown! So glad I discovered this author. Like her other books I have read, The Witness didn't fail to deliver with an exciting, suspenseful plot, great characters, great chemistry and on the edge of your seat need to turn page after page.
..Cécile..
4/5 stars

This wasn't my favorite Sandra Brown book, but it's still really good.
I wasn't a fan of the bigotry, sexism and racism, but it's needed for the story.
John was great and I also liked Kendall.
What I love about Sandra's books is that the women are not just airheads in the middle of a crime, but actually wellrounded and smart women.
Lorraine.Hates.Cliffhanger.Endings!
Wow, fab story all the way through. Loved it :-)
Beth McCraw
Jan 27, 2016 Beth McCraw rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Maybe it was just me, but this seemed to drag a bit towards the end. I still liked it, I just liked Mean Streak better. I still love this author and will definitely read more of her work!
Gayatri
Apr 16, 2014 Gayatri rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I absolutely loved this book! It was a breath of fresh air..especially from all the contemporary romance books I've been reading!

I loved John's character, especially in his amnesia phase! It was like we the readers were experiencing a bout of amnesia as well since we had no idea what was going on and the only person with the answers was Kendell.

That scene with Micheal had me gagging (and not in a good way)! My mind tends to visualize everything, and I mean everything, when I read and I'm tellin
Xiki71
Jul 14, 2015 Xiki71 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Uno de los mejores libros de intriga que he leído en mucho tiempo. Es cierto que la forma de narrar la historia al principio no me convencía, (no voy a dar detalles para no spoilear) pero al final ha acabado enganchándome tanto que me ha dado igual.
La historia tiene unos personajes muy bien perfilados, Kendall es una protagonista que va a hacer todo, absolutamente todo lo necesario para proteger su vida y la de su hijo, es fuerte, es lista y tiene unos principios que no se tambalean facilmente.
Kat Irvine
Jan 17, 2016 Kat Irvine rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Julianna
Jun 12, 2014 Julianna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Romantic Suspense, Karen Rose
Reviewed for THC Reviews
"4.5 stars" The Witness was my first read by Sandra Brown, and overall, it did not disappoint. The suspense/thriller aspect of the story was excellent. It did take a little while to get going for me, and during the first half or so, I didn't necessarily find it to be un-put-downable. I think this was mainly owing to the scenes in the present not being as compelling, due to the reader not really knowing what's going on. The scenes from the heroine's past, however, were ver
Katherine 黄爱芬
Kendall Deaton ditugaskan utk menjadi pengacara di kota kecil Prosper. Disana Kendall membangun karier sekaligus menikahi Matt Burnwood, anak sesepuh di kota Prosper, Gibb Burnwood. Sampai pada suatu hari Kendall menangkap basah suaminya main gila dengan Lottie Lynam yang ternyata adalah cinta pertama dan satu2 nya dari suaminya. Bukannya menyesali kesalahannya, Matt pergi meninggalkan Kendall yang tanpa sepengetahuannya menguntit Matt. Dan betapa terkejutnya Kendall ketika mengetahui suami dan ...more
Linda
Mar 27, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Kendall Deaton seems to have it all - a challenging job as a public defender in Prosper, South Carolina and a handsome, successful husband (Matt). So what if her father-in-law (Gibb) seems to be a little too involved in their lives; after all, Matt is his only child and he welcomes Keaton into the family with open arms. Fast forward a few months. Kendall is ecstatic to find out she's pregnant and can't wait to tell Matt. Before she can, however, she finds him in the arms of another woman, a woma ...more
Heather
Oct 09, 2011 Heather rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kendall Deaton survives an auto accident that killed one other passenger. She pulls herself, the man driving, and her infant son up out of the ravine. They are rescued and taken to the local hospital. She is only bruised. The man has broken his leg and has a concussion. When he wakes up and asks "Who am I?" Kendall looks him in the eye and says "My husband."
The man is certain she is lying. Yet she knows things about him a wife would know, like his clothing sizes. He knows something is not right
The Witness 14 71 Feb 01, 2015 11:18AM
Sanda Brown Super...: The Witness 1 3 Jul 29, 2014 04:25PM
  • The Midnight Hour
  • What She Doesn't Know
  • Killing Time
  • Where There Is Evil
  • The Night Before (Savannah, #1)
  • Exposure
  • The Hunt (Predator Trilogy, #2)
  • Bloodlines

Sandra Brown is the author of more than sixty New York Times bestsellers, including FRICTION (2015), MEAN STREAK (2014), DEADLINE(2013), LOW PRESSURE (2012), LETHAL (2011), & TOUGH CUSTOMER (2010).

Brown began her writing career in 1981 and since then has published over
More about Sandra Brown...

“His eyes reconnected with hers, and she wondered if he remembered that they were an unusual shade of gray, which most people found arresting and which lying witnesses found disconcerting. When his gaze lowered” 0 likes