Start by marking “Jean Rhys: The Complete Novels (Voyage in the Dark, Quartet, After Leaving Mr Mackenzie, Good Morning, Midnight, Wide Sargasso Sea)” as Want to Read:

Published 1985 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about Jean Rhys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jean Rhys

Jonathan
Mar 22, 2015 Jonathan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Second time through all of these, though first time doing it in one big lump. Certainly Voyage and WSS stand out above the rest for me, though all remain essential reading. Her use of hyphens is particularly interesting to me - both as a device to indicate a break or shift in thought or as, conversely, a way to join two seemingly disparate ideas. Never showy, never anything other than herself, she deserves the place she has slowly begun to make for herself in the Canon and on university reading
Elizabeth
Mar 01, 2008 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Basically, I'm a huge Jean Rhys fan. But, defintely don't read them all at once, one after another, on dark winter nights when you're lonely and might already have a drinking problem.
Keili Rae
Apr 21, 2013 Keili Rae rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
As a recovering expat, I wish I had read these novels instead of Henry Miller while I was abroad. Rhys' women are stronger than they realize but everywhere trapped by their circumstances. Reading each novel was like watching a wild bird beat itself bloody against the bars of a cage. Beautiful and totally tragic.
Holly Robinson
Jun 21, 2010 Holly Robinson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jean Rhys is truly one of the greatest overlooked women fiction writers. Her sentences are so beautiful that they'll bring you to your knees.
M
Dec 29, 2009 M rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"...a pale long-faced girl sat in front of an untouched drink, watching the door. She was waiting for the gentleman with whom she had spent the preceding night to come along and pay for it, and naturally she was waiting in vain." (p. 137: from Quartet)
Kathy
Jun 04, 2012 Kathy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jean Rhys is truly a masterful writer. I read one book after another in this anthology.
Marla
Dec 01, 2009 Marla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite authors. Jean Rhys, Je t'aime.
Adrian Colesberry
I only read Wide Sargasso Sea. Great book.
Sophie
Jun 24, 2014 Sophie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read "Good Morning Midnight" long ago, and it always lingered with me. Her other novels are just as beautiful, just as hysterical, and are sharply feminine. Being a woman is difficult. I'm not joking. If you don't think so, read Jean Rhys. Her descriptions of the things she sees are haunting and menacing, told through twinge of hangover. Many passages because it is five novels in one book.

"There was always a little grey street leading to the stage-door of the theatre and another little grey str
Satia
For my review of Voyage in the Dark go here: http://satiasreviews.blogspot.com/201...

For my review of Quartet go here: http://satiasreviews.blogspot.com/201...

For my review of After Leaving Mr Mackenzie go here:

For my review of Good Morning, Midnight go here:

For my review of Wide Sargasso Sea go here:

For a discussion of Wide Sargasso Sea and other books that have been challenge
Ece
Jan 13, 2016 Ece rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

"... I know all about myself now, I know. You've told me so often. You haven't left me one rag of illusion to clothe myself in."

It is hard to rate this for I have mixed feelings about the novels but I am happy to finish it with Wide Sargasso Sea; until towards the end, it was not that impressive but then it became so beautiful, so shocking that when I finished the novel I couldn't come to my senses for a while. The narration of the novels and Rhys' atmosphere of melancholy draws you inside of th
Nancy
I read this anthology of Jean Rhys’ semi-autobiographical works back in the 80s, then reread her best known novel “Wide Sargasso Sea,” when my local book group chose it in 1997. Her first books are essentially about depression and are confessional in nature. “The Wide Sargasso Sea” was written much later and is a take-off on “Jane Eyre.” When our book group read it, we decided we should write a 3rd book where Antoinette escapes the fire and becomes a prosperous prostitute—we’d call it “Drowning ...more
Lizzie
Aug 13, 2013 Lizzie marked it as to-read-off-my-shelf  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: used-book, own
Got a used copy in the mail today, inscribed to or by what might be "Alan Carre, 6 November 1985, San Francisco." There's a word before the 6, "deu" maybe? It probably isn't English, considering the date format.

Had a hand-illustrated bookmark inside from The Iliad Bookshop of North Hollywood, at its old address, which makes it eight years old at the least. It's real cute and looks older. "Art by Racer."

Love the journeys books take to me.
Amy
Sep 30, 2013 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What the what. I had never heard of Jean Rhys until I was in my late 20's.....every 18 year old girl should be handed this collection! I loved all of these and wish I had read them many years earlier.

Highly recommend for social historians of between the war brit/paris lives as well as women's studies.

Love!!!
Victoria
May 13, 2013 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite writer (when I was young).
Mahjong_kid
May 08, 2016 Mahjong_kid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-deborah
The black and white photos in this edition are an apt reflection of the mood of Rhys' stories. Like other women writers of her time, who were striving to break free from the "good girl," edifying literature previously expected from women, Rhys wrote about the experiences of "others," who didn't have family or friends or money to help them to a happy life. I wonder just how closely some of the stories were based on her personal life experiences; it's a sad thought. In spite of the depressing natu ...more
Kay Wright
I read the first and last of the four novels, having wanted to read Wide Sargasso Sea. I found both stories very depressing, not terribly enlightening. Perhaps dated, which would make them quite un relatable. The first novel follows a young innocent on her path to prostitution by happenstance, she didn't seem able to make a decision to save herself, simply did what any man wanted. My understanding is it parallels Rhys's early life. Sargasso, on the other hand, is a full-blown purple prose traged ...more
Alison
May 27, 2016 Alison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have read and re-read this book multiple times since I discovered Jean Rhys when I was in high school. Rhys' writing is haunting and it stays with you even after you have read it. She manages to perfectly capture the feeling of isolation and displacement. Whenever my depression gets so bad I turn back to this book and read these stories and I remember that I am not alone and that someone else had the same feelings of alienation and "otherness" that I feel.
Marna
Oct 05, 2015 Marna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the few things I read while in Michigan. Read this actually before I did Jane Eyre, so, discontinuity! Picked up another copy a few years back but still haven't gotten around to re-reading it yet. Will have to update as Sargasso Sea is the only one I actually remember clearly (thought that was brilliant even without the comparison).
Dana Jerman
Aug 04, 2015 Dana Jerman rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: p-a-r-i-s
The magic of Jean is that her writing seems to be seamless. She puts you in the heads of her female protagonists in such a way that, even if you don't agree with their choices, you can still empathize. I consider her to be a feminist writer in this way. Her turns of phrase are beautiful, and you never leave a book disappointed.
Serdar
Jun 07, 2012 Serdar rated it really liked it
*** for Voyage in the Dark
**** for Quartet
**** for After Leaving Mr Mackenzie
***** for Good Morning Midnight
**** for Wide Sargasso Sea
Abimelech Abimelech
Well, I had quite a thorough review fleshed out before the page randomly refreshed and will not allow me to Undo or w/e. Brain drain. Back to work.
Leila
Dec 14, 2013 Leila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-read
Excellent. But depressing.
John Markos O'Neill
Six novels in one book: seems like a bargain.
Jenny
Mar 16, 2015 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(only read Voyage In The Dark, Quartet, Wide Sargasso Sea)
Mary Daniels
Aug 14, 2015 Mary Daniels rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I read only (and the 4-star rating is for only) "Wide Sargasso Sea."
Salome Wilde
Nov 04, 2012 Salome Wilde rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant writer whose characters endure such pain you can't believe you can't put it down. Moving, political and personal, feminist modernism at its best.
Richard Chiem
Oct 12, 2011 Richard Chiem rated it it was amazing
some of my favorite novels
Fran
Jun 06, 2015 Fran rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved Wide Sargasso Sea. The rest dragged.
Sofia
Sofia rated it it was amazing
Aug 01, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Valerie Solanas: The Defiant Life of the Woman Who Wrote SCUM (and Shot Andy Warhol)
  • The Broken Tower: The Life of Hart Crane
  • The Fisher King: A Novel
  • The Portable Henry James
  • Breaking and Entering
  • Her First American
  • Four Plays: Come Back, Little Sheba / Picnic / Bus Stop / The Dark at the Top of the Stairs
  • Anaïs: The Erotic Life of Anaïs Nin
  • The Royal Family
Jean Rhys, originally Ella Gwendolen Rees Williams, was a Caribbean novelist who wrote in the mid 20th century. Her first four novels were published during the 1920s and 1930s, but it was not until the publication of Wide Sargasso Sea in 1966 that she emerged as a significant literary figure. A "prequel" to Charlotte Brontë's Jane Eyre, Wide Sargasso Sea won a prestigious WH Smith Literary Award i ...more
More about Jean Rhys...