Start by marking “The Edge of Doom (A Kate Fansler Mystery #14)” as Want to Read:
The Edge of Doom (A Kate Fansler Mystery #14)

The Edge of Doom (A Kate Fansler Mystery #14)

3.41  ·  Rating Details  ·  152 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Rich and witty, the literary whodunits by Amanda Cross are a delight for readers who like their mysteries smart and suspenseful. Now comes the highly anticipated sequel to her Kate Fansler novel, Honest Doubt, which the Providence Journal called “one of [her] best books in years.” Here, Cross takes her beloved protagonist into uncharted territory, turning Kate Fansler’s wo ...more
Published October 29th 2002 by Ballantine Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Edge of Doom, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Edge of Doom

Susan
The Edge of Doom by Amanda Cross is the 7th (and final) book of the Kate Fansler mystery series set in late-20th-century New York City. Kate is a university professor of literature; her husband Reed is a retired District Attorney. They live in an apartment with their huge dog Banny. I've read the series in order. While reading several books prior to this one, I felt the series had dragged on too long. Although meant to be literary whodunits, I felt they had too much introspection, not enough plo ...more
Paul Kosuth
Like all Kate Fansler//Amanda Cross books I enjoy my time with them as they ponder the questions before them and I like to snoop in on their conversations. After all, that is what these books are about, I feel, an excuse for having heady and knowledgable conversation about life, literature and relations.

Though I have always like this series, I don't really care for Kate and only a little more for her husband Read. I find the insufferable for all the reasons that Kate does not like the rest of h
Lee
I did not care for this book, but to be fair I might have enjoyed it more if I had read previous books in the series. Still, I don't think I will because the Kate Fansler character did not engage me. Additionally, I couldn't get over feeling that some of the things that occur to move the story forward were awkward and not believable. For instance, going in the ladies room to prick her finger and put , blood on a handkerchief at her brothers request for a DNA sample. This occurs between wealthy p ...more
Kim
Feb 11, 2015 Kim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Haven't read the series for a long while now, but I enjoyed this one. Kate Fansler (the main character in this series) can be very superficial, very much an intellectual type, and very prone to talking and talking and talking about her feelings, which is why I tired of the series. But the plots, when they are really a good integral part of the book can be very interesting and fun. This one works well and is an interesting insight into Kate's background. Do read this one AFTER reading a few of th ...more
Angel Pedroza
Jul 05, 2015 Angel Pedroza rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read most of Amanda Cross' Kate Fansler series as they were published up until the late 1990's. In my opinion they were beautifully written and the literary information given and the mystery offered were terrific. I recently purchased The Players Come Again and The Edge of Doom book in a second hand shop and I am glad I did. The reading of these two books was like finding old friends. They are both worth reading.
Sallie
Jun 07, 2015 Sallie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
Not impressed with this book, it just seemed to go on and on with no real point to it. It's really a 1.5 star since I didn't hate it but it left me feeling 'meh'. Going to the used bookstore shelves.
Jo-anne
Picked this up at the library book sale.I had forgotten about this writer...really not much mystery but more a meander into literature, especially Shakespeare. A nice evenings read.
Sharen
May 26, 2015 Sharen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It didn't sweep me off my feet. Considering the author's credentials, it is just so-so - sadly, as she was a very intelligent person and an acclaimed scholar.
Deb
Oct 08, 2014 Deb rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
BORING!! Only read about half of the book. Didn't know when the "smart suspense" was going to start. Won't be picking up any of her other books.
Caroline
Sorry to see the end.
Felicity
Really not one of her best. I love Amanda Cross' Kate Fansler books but this is. . huh. What is it? It's not a mystery, it's more of a, um. A commentary in search of a theme and a plot? She's a little too in love with her main character and in this latest one she not only manages to rid her of her distasteful capitalist roots, she takes ten or fifteen years off her age. Unfortunately, now she rings a little false.
Elaine
Apr 09, 2012 Elaine rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Amanda Cross is a pen name for the late feminist scholar, Carolyn G. Heilbrun, perhaps best known for Writing a Woman's Life. What I liked about The Edge of Doom is that it drew on the life of Edith Wharton, the great American writer, although it certainly reconfigured the biographical information. A fun read.
Tom
Dec 04, 2012 Tom rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Over the years I have read many of the Kate Fansler mysteries. This one had a very good premise, but it became tedious. Kate continually spoke in a way to make herself seem clever and smart. It mostly made her seem as if she did not know how to communicate.
Tina
Amanda Cross is growing on me - mediocre mysteries but good social commentary.
Jean
The writer of these novels is Dr Carolyn G. Heilbrun
Candace Wegner
Aug 25, 2013 Candace Wegner rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed this more than I expected.
Doreen
Doreen added it
Jul 02, 2016
Derek
Derek added it
Jun 15, 2016
Christy Stillwell
Christy Stillwell marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2016
Stephanie Cassidy
Stephanie Cassidy marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
nancy a. floyd
nancy a. floyd rated it really liked it
May 30, 2016
Elizabeth Jayko Racicot
Elizabeth Jayko Racicot rated it really liked it
May 27, 2016
Steve
Steve marked it as to-read
May 08, 2016
Patricia Hebert
Patricia Hebert marked it as to-read
Apr 29, 2016
Tobi Grantham
Tobi Grantham marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Carol
Carol rated it really liked it
Apr 11, 2016
Donje
Donje rated it it was ok
Mar 06, 2016
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Death in a Tenured Position (A Kate Fansler Mystery #6)
  • Mrs. Pargeter's Plot (Mrs Pargeter, #5)
  • The Brutal Heart (A Joanne Kilbourn Mystery #11)
  • Murder Plays House (A Mommy-Track Mystery #5)
  • The Alpine Pursuit (Emma Lord, #16)
  • Someone to Watch Over Me (Grace & Favor, #3)
  • The Case of the Tough-Talking Turkey (The Casebook of Dr. McKenzie, #2)
1968686
A psuedonym of Carolyn G. Heilbrun.

More about Amanda Cross...

A Kate Fansler Mystery (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • In the Last Analysis (A Kate Fansler Mystery #1)
  • The James Joyce Murder (A Kate Fansler Mystery #2)
  • Poetic Justice (A Kate Fansler Mystery #3)
  • The Theban Mysteries (A Kate Fansler Mystery #4)
  • The Question of Max (A Kate Fansler Mystery #5)
  • Death in a Tenured Position (A Kate Fansler Mystery #6)
  • Sweet Death, Kind Death (A Kate Fansler Mystery #7)
  • No Word from Winifred (A Kate Fansler Mystery #8)
  • A Trap for Fools (A Kate Fansler Mystery #9)
  • The Players Come Again (A Kate Fansler Mystery #10)