Start by marking “The Egyptian Book of the Dead” as Want to Read:
The Egyptian Book of the Dead

The Egyptian Book of the Dead

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  3,400 Ratings  ·  140 Reviews
s/t: The Papyrus of Ani in the British Museum; the Egyptian Text with Interlinear Transliteration & Translation, a Running Translation, Introduction etc.
The sacred wisdom of the priests of ancient Egypt & the experiences of the soul after death: one of the most important books in Egyptian history. Includes full hieroglyphic text along with a transliteration of soun
Published June 1st 1967 by Dover Publications, Inc. (NYC) (first published -1700)

Huda Aweys
الحقيقة اني فخورة اني انجزت اخيرا قراءة اول كتاب في العالم و في التاريخ
:) !
على حسب ما وصلنا .. إلى الآن
*****
حاجة على الماشي كده
؛> :
واضح ان البيروقراطية دي إرث أصيل في مجتمعنا المصري :)) المتوفي عندهم كان بيتحول في 100 حالة و بيؤدي 100 طقس ، و بيمر على 100 محكمة و 100 إله ( المئات دي كلها مجازا طبعا :) ) عشان يحصل على التصاريح و الأذون اللازمة لخروجه الى النور
(العالم الآخر او الأبدية)
*****
بسم الله :) ...
(كتاب الموتى)
كتاب ديني فرعوني بيعود تاربخه الى عام 1500 ق.م تقريبا يعني من حوالي 30
Hadrian
The edition of the Egyptian Book of the Dead published by Criterion Press is a real prize of a book. It's almost a square foot in size, and contains an almost-full size color facsimile of the Papyrus of Ani, with the original text in ancient Egyptian. I can't judge on the accuracy of the translation, but the English text flows smoothly, and the hieroglyphs appear distinct (at least in the 1994 edition - I can't say for the 2008 reprint).

The Book of the Dead, or the Book of Coming Forth By Day,
Jack
Apr 13, 2008 Jack rated it it was amazing
How can you not give this 5 stars when it lays out for you the exact procedure one needs to follow to ensure one's entrance into the afterlife
Kellyanne
Sep 23, 2013 Kellyanne rated it it was amazing
Hello! Ok first off your not going to understand all of this book.. The less schooled persons of ancient Egyptian culture will probably not even know 50% of this novel.
I have been learning hieroglyphs and ancient Egyptian., so this book was amazing to me, one fact above all others is that you are holding in your hands an ancient guide for the dearly departed.. The trouble many scholars went through over the years to translate this book was harrowing and seemed fruitless... Especially when Cham
Eric
Oct 17, 2007 Eric rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: the recently deceased
Shelves: yellow, poetry
I can't really rate this book, because I didn't really understand it. But it's really funny if you take it literally, you know, like, "Boat bird staff staff, eye dog bird staff man reed boat!" And also it's an interesting window into the rituals of an ancient blah, blah . . .
Ali
Aug 21, 2010 Ali rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
هذا الكتاب الفرعوني مهم لفهم الديانة المصرية، فهو نصوص تصاحب الميت وتوصف حياته الاخرى و الحساب فيها. المرجع مفيد لفهم فكرة البعث والحساب في الديانة المصرية
Barnaby Thieme
This is a beautiful book - a large-format facsimile reproduction of the Papyrus of Ani in large color images with translation of the hieroglyphs beneath. The pictures comprising the bulk of the book are not of the Papyrus itself, held in the British National Museum; rather it is a reproduction of a carefully-made imitation of the original.

The translation is quite readable and there are several useful essays and commentaries written by competent egyptologists.

Because of the compositional unity
Kathryn
Sep 22, 2011 Kathryn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: great-books
This translation of the Egyptian Book of the Dead has a lot of great illustrations, which, for an amateur art history buff, are gravy. Unfortunately, the scholarly value of this edition isn’t so great. Seleem seems to have embraced Egyptian religion wholeheartedly, and spends most of the commentary pointing out how advanced the Egyptians were and how their spirituality is superior to Judeo-Christian and Islamic traditions. (He also seems to think that said traditions come from Egyptian ideas.) H ...more
Lina AL Ojaili
من أشهر فصول كتاب المتوفى ، الفصل السابع عشر ، والفصل 125 والذى يمثل محاكمة المتوفى فى العالم الآخر ، حيث يمثل الإله أزوريس ومعه 42 قاضى ومجموعه من الآلهه وهم يقمون بوزن قلب المتوفى لمحاسبته على أعماله المتوفى يقوم بذكر الأعمال الخيره التى قام بها .
George Mills
May 23, 2013 George Mills rated it it was ok
The true title of this work should be, "The Book of Coming Forth by Day." It's purpose was to provide the dead pharaoh with the knowledge necessary to navigate the world of the dead so that he may be able to take his place on the great solar barge. It should be pointed out that this set of instructions was drawn up for an individual and there can be great discrepancies between it and books prepared for other individuals.

This translation was intended for Egyptologists. It is not for people who a
kislam
It is a shame that it can be so hard to find translations of the Book of Going Forth By Day by anyone other than Budge. I was especially disappointed to find a lack of any such ebooks, although the Budge translation abounds (and I do own a copy on my Kindle, mostly for completeness with my Budge library). However, Budge's translation is known not to be the most accurate translation out there.

Enter Faulkner's translation. Gorgeously illustrated with portions of several papyri from the British Mus
Monier
Oct 30, 2013 Monier rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
كتاب عقائدي يمكن التعامل مع على انه قرآن الديانة المصرية القديمة الكتاب يحتوى على رحلة الانسان خلال العالمان ماقبل الموت ومابعد الموت
الاعتراف بحق الالهة ومديحها وترانيم المحبة الدائمة في حبها
ايضاً الاعمال الصالحة التي ستؤدي الي انضمام الانسان الى الالهة والنعيم وارتقاء الانسان روحانياً وجسدياً ايضاً كما يشمل الطريق الواجب سلوكه للوصول لتلك المنزلة الرفيعة والبوابات الواجب المرور عليها ومعرفة اسماء وصفات كل مقدس أمر يشبه معرفة أسماء الله الحسنى - من أحصاها دخل الجنة -
ايضاً طريقة الحساب وجعل العد
Ruth
Oct 17, 2008 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of ancient cultures
I bought this at the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum in San Jose, CA because I've been fascinated for a long time with Egyptian rituals, particularly as they concern the ancients' views on the afterlife. The Egyptians believed that they could guide a soul to the afterlife by burying them with a copy of this book, which contained instructions and charms, spells, keys and other helps that the dead person was supposed to use along the path towards resurrection. Beautiful full-color hieroglyphic images ...more
Adrian Colesberry
Sam
A beautiful reproduction of the Book of the Dead taken from tomb walls and papyri sources to give the reader the full script, in all it's colourful glory. The photographs are supported by Budge's text which explains each of the scenes in turn, including their importance to the Egyptian religion.
Gloria monaghan
Jan 06, 2009 Gloria monaghan is currently reading it
hard to red- my eyes are going. Text is also ancient and you need to follow like a math problem. Still I will devote my time.
Angie
Mar 19, 2014 Angie rated it it was amazing
should be required reading, with footnotes and much Egyptian literary history. Beautiful book of death and life.
E.
Sep 19, 2016 E. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It boggles me that I can read such a thing here and now. How wonderful.
Daniela
Jul 13, 2016 Daniela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
FINALLY!! I FINISHED!!! I feel like I've come forth by day and night and month after reading this. I'm only giving it two stars because of the deep love I hold towards ancient Egyptian culture and myth because this book is unbearable. If you are not somewhat familiar with the myths don't even bother, find a more recent translation because this may be the classic version but it's horribly bad. The language tries to be poetic and archaic just because and instead of adding to the beauty of these pr ...more
Oceana2602
Yeah, okay, so I never read this. I bought in 1995 in New Zealand, in a small, rather esoteric shop in Dunedin right off of George Street, if I remember correctly. 14 years later, I can admit that buying it had more to do with my then-dilusion of becoming an Egyptologist and not the lawyer that everyone told me I'd become (and how right they were. *sigh*). Also, it seemed kinda cool.

Years later, however, owning this book become a whole different meaning for me, when I fell in love with Stargate,
Lana Helmy
May 27, 2015 Lana Helmy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favoritereads
كتاب الموتى الفرعونى... لن اكذب، لم افهمة فالكتاب ابعد من مخيلتى! استمتعت بالرحلة التى اخذتنى مع اوزوريس - أنى الكاتب الظافر فى لقاء الالهة التى تحدد مصيره. لا استطيع ان اتخيل ان ما قرأتة كان يوما ما دينا و ايمانا من الفراعنة! يعملون فالارض أرضاءا لألهتهم و خوفا من يوم المحاكمة التى يوشى قلبك عن افعالك
.فى الدنيا

تعجبت لنوع الخطايا التى يتبرأ منها المتوفى و التشابة الكبير بينها و بين ادياننا المعاصرة ... اعجبنى قول انى الكاتب فى الاعتراف السلبى .. "هلا .. يا صاحب الوجة الملتفت.. يا من أتيت من ال
Devlin Scott
The first part of this book is a very interesting history lesson. It explains in part a brief history of the Egyptian Gods and their role in the afterlife. The second part of the book is a listing of the prayers and supplications for the afterlife. Imagine the journey into the afterlife as an oral test...this book has all the answers. You need only recite them to the proper god and move forward to the next...however...you must still have your heart weighed by Osiris at the end of your journey.

It
Lizy
Jul 01, 2016 Lizy rated it did not like it
This book is a useless lie. It claims to be the book of the dead but it's just someone going on and on about what's inside of the book of the dead onstesd of actually being the book of the dead. It'd be like a book going "yes I am a Bible I am definitely a Bible this is a Bible" and when you open it instead of getting "In the beginning God created the heavens and the Earth," you get "Genesis is about the creation of the Earth and the legacy of Abraham," and not actually using any Biblical quotes ...more
Chris
Jul 11, 2012 Chris rated it really liked it
So I don't actually write reviews for books on this site, but I figure some explanation is needed here: it would seem exceptionally silly to give a star rating to something that some Egyptians wrote a few thousand years ago, or to pretend I'm some sort of expert who can judge this particular translation over later ones.

So instead, simply take the "four star" rating as meaning I humbly found The Egyptian Book of the Dead an enjoyable and educational read as a lay person.
Cassandra Kay Silva
I read this in conjunction with the Tibetean book of the dead as kind of a personal study of some of the more ancient ideas about the afterlife. I actually ended up having to consult my book on egyptian mythology very frequently to follow all of the references to various deities in it. Which, was an entirely worthwhile enterprize but should be noted that to fully enjoy this work one may wish to have something like that handy.
i_hate_books
Jan 30, 2014 i_hate_books rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author spends more time than I care for on defending ancient Egyptian religion against an imaginary reader who can only comprehend contemporary faiths. But the book was very informative for my projects, contains translations of "chapters" missing from the papyrus this book focuses on, and offers a commentary section for more in-depth discussion.
Horace Derwent
i read this 15 years ago(in the early spring of 2001), just felt my brain was turned into porridge as i finished, i can't figure out how many stars i can rate, and that's all my review for this :)
Silas
Oct 24, 2016 Silas rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got this kindle version for free, and I guess you get what you pay for. This edition is more of a book that tells you a bit about Egyptian Books of the Dead, with a brief primer on Egyptian kingship and mythology followed by descriptions of what are in each of the chapters of the books of the dead (which vary considerably). There are no illustrations and very limited quoting of translations. If you are just interested in learning a bit about what is actually in the Book of the Dead to see if i ...more
D
Dec 01, 2016 D rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion, egypt
Може би вината си е моя, че не попаднах на добро издание (текстът не е стандартизиран до такава степен, че е напълно различен на места). И все пак въпреки гръмкото име и обещаващото описание има доста по-добри книги за митовете и гледната точка към смъртта в Египет.
Julie
Nov 06, 2016 Julie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I would have loved this more in the physical version. I was hoping the Kindle version would have extensive annotation, but sadly, it does not. So, I mostly had no frame of reference for most of the directions given and that made it lose magic for me.
  • Egyptian Religion: Egyptian Ideas of the Future Life
  • How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs: A Step-by-Step Guide to Teach Yourself
  • Ancient Egypt: An Illustrated Reference to the Myths, Religions, Pyramids and Temples of the Land of the Pharaohs
  • Ancient Egyptian Myths and Legends
  • Middle Egyptian: An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs
  • Egyptian Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Goddesses, and Traditions of Ancient Egypt
  • Religion and Magic in Ancient Egypt
  • The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt
  • The Literature of Ancient Egypt: An Anthology of Stories, Instructions, Stelae, Autobiographies, and Poetry
  • The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt
  • Ancient Egyptian Literature: Volume I: The Old and Middle Kingdoms
  • Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs: Official Companion Book to the Exhibition sponsored by National Geographic
  • The Complete Tutankhamun: The King, the Tomb, the Royal Treasure
  • Egypt: Land of the Pharaohs
  • Ancient Egypt
  • A Garden of Pomegranates: Skrying on the Tree of Life
  • Chronicle of the Pharaohs: The Reign-By-Reign Record of the Rulers and Dynasties of Ancient Egypt
  • Red Land, Black Land: Daily Life in Ancient Egypt
Books can be attributed to "Anonymous" for several reasons:

* They are officially published under that name
* They are traditional stories not attributed to a specific author
* They are religious texts not generally attributed to a specific author

Books whose authorship is merely uncertain should be attributed to Unknown.
More about Anonymous...

“living soul for ever.” 9 likes
“Osiris became the type and symbol of resurrection among the Egyptians of all periods, because he was a god who had been originally a mortal and had risen from the dead.” 3 likes