The Egyptian Book of the Dead

The Egyptian Book of the Dead

3.89 of 5 stars 3.89  ·  rating details  ·  2,466 ratings  ·  109 reviews
s/t: The Papyrus of Ani in the British Museum; the Egyptian Text with Interlinear Transliteration & Translation, a Running Translation, Introduction etc.
The sacred wisdom of the priests of ancient Egypt & the experiences of the soul after death: one of the most important books in Egyptian history. Includes full hieroglyphic text along with a transliteration of soun...more
Published June 1st 1967 by Dover Publications, Inc. (NYC) (first published -1550)

To ask other readers questions about The Egyptian Book of the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Egyptian Book of the Dead

Nefertiti by Michelle MoranThe Heretic Queen by Michelle MoranRiver God by Wilbur SmithFlow Down Like Silver by Ki LongfellowCleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran
Best Books About Egypt
15th out of 336 books — 371 voters
Stiff by Mary RoachHamlet by William ShakespeareThe Lovely Bones by Alice SeboldThe Five People You Meet in Heaven by Mitch AlbomThe Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
Thanatopsis: Death, Dying, and Mortality
23rd out of 217 books — 105 voters

More lists with this book...

Jack
How can you not give this 5 stars when it lays out for you the exact procedure one needs to follow to ensure one's entrance into the afterlife
Barnaby Thieme
This is a beautiful book - a large-format facsimile reproduction of the Papyrus of Ani in large color images with translation of the hieroglyphs beneath. The pictures comprising the bulk of the book are not of the Papyrus itself, held in the British National Museum; rather it is a reproduction of a carefully-made imitation of the original.

The translation is quite readable and there are several useful essays and commentaries written by competent egyptologists.

Because of the compositional unity...more
Kellyanne
Hello! Ok first off your not going to understand all of this book.. The less schooled persons of ancient Egyptian culture will probably not even know 50% of this novel.
I have been learning hieroglyphs and ancient Egyptian., so this book was amazing to me, one fact above all others is that you are holding in your hands an ancient guide for the dearly departed.. The trouble many scholars went through over the years to translate this book was harrowing and seemed fruitless... Especially when Cham...more
Ali
هذا الكتاب الفرعوني مهم لفهم الديانة المصرية، فهو نصوص تصاحب الميت وتوصف حياته الاخرى و الحساب فيها. المرجع مفيد لفهم فكرة البعث والحساب في الديانة المصرية
Kathryn
This translation of the Egyptian Book of the Dead has a lot of great illustrations, which, for an amateur art history buff, are gravy. Unfortunately, the scholarly value of this edition isn’t so great. Seleem seems to have embraced Egyptian religion wholeheartedly, and spends most of the commentary pointing out how advanced the Egyptians were and how their spirituality is superior to Judeo-Christian and Islamic traditions. (He also seems to think that said traditions come from Egyptian ideas.) H...more
Eric
Oct 17, 2007 Eric rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: the recently deceased
Shelves: yellow, poetry
I can't really rate this book, because I didn't really understand it. But it's really funny if you take it literally, you know, like, "Boat bird staff staff, eye dog bird staff man reed boat!" And also it's an interesting window into the rituals of an ancient blah, blah . . .
kislam
It is a shame that it can be so hard to find translations of the Book of Going Forth By Day by anyone other than Budge. I was especially disappointed to find a lack of any such ebooks, although the Budge translation abounds (and I do own a copy on my Kindle, mostly for completeness with my Budge library). However, Budge's translation is known not to be the most accurate translation out there.

Enter Faulkner's translation. Gorgeously illustrated with portions of several papyri from the British Mus...more
George Mills
The true title of this work should be, "The Book of Coming Forth by Day." It's purpose was to provide the dead pharaoh with the knowledge necessary to navigate the world of the dead so that he may be able to take his place on the great solar barge. It should be pointed out that this set of instructions was drawn up for an individual and there can be great discrepancies between it and books prepared for other individuals.

This translation was intended for Egyptologists. It is not for people who a...more
Lina AL Ojaili
من أشهر فصول كتاب المتوفى ، الفصل السابع عشر ، والفصل 125 والذى يمثل محاكمة المتوفى فى العالم الآخر ، حيث يمثل الإله أزوريس ومعه 42 قاضى ومجموعه من الآلهه وهم يقمون بوزن قلب المتوفى لمحاسبته على أعماله المتوفى يقوم بذكر الأعمال الخيره التى قام بها .
Ruth
Oct 17, 2008 Ruth rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of ancient cultures
I bought this at the Rosicrucian Egyptian Museum in San Jose, CA because I've been fascinated for a long time with Egyptian rituals, particularly as they concern the ancients' views on the afterlife. The Egyptians believed that they could guide a soul to the afterlife by burying them with a copy of this book, which contained instructions and charms, spells, keys and other helps that the dead person was supposed to use along the path towards resurrection. Beautiful full-color hieroglyphic images...more
Sam
A beautiful reproduction of the Book of the Dead taken from tomb walls and papyri sources to give the reader the full script, in all it's colourful glory. The photographs are supported by Budge's text which explains each of the scenes in turn, including their importance to the Egyptian religion.
Somaya Bahji
This is one of the most intriguing books I have ever read! What adds to its uniqueness is the fact that it is a collection of funerary texts right from the heart of the mysterious Egyptian tombs! This book is an exploration of the Egyptian Masatabas from the comfort of one's home :)
Gloria monaghan
Jan 06, 2009 Gloria monaghan is currently reading it
hard to red- my eyes are going. Text is also ancient and you need to follow like a math problem. Still I will devote my time.
Monier
كتاب عقائدي يمكن التعامل مع على انه قرآن الديانة المصرية القديمة الكتاب يحتوى على رحلة الانسان خلال العالمان ماقبل الموت ومابعد الموت
الاعتراف بحق الالهة ومديحها وترانيم المحبة الدائمة في حبها
ايضاً الاعمال الصالحة التي ستؤدي الي انضمام الانسان الى الالهة والنعيم وارتقاء الانسان روحانياً وجسدياً ايضاً كما يشمل الطريق الواجب سلوكه للوصول لتلك المنزلة الرفيعة والبوابات الواجب المرور عليها ومعرفة اسماء وصفات كل مقدس أمر يشبه معرفة أسماء الله الحسنى - من أحصاها دخل الجنة -
ايضاً طريقة الحساب وجعل العد...more
Devlin Scott
The first part of this book is a very interesting history lesson. It explains in part a brief history of the Egyptian Gods and their role in the afterlife. The second part of the book is a listing of the prayers and supplications for the afterlife. Imagine the journey into the afterlife as an oral test...this book has all the answers. You need only recite them to the proper god and move forward to the next...however...you must still have your heart weighed by Osiris at the end of your journey.

It...more
Adrian Colesberry
Chris
So I don't actually write reviews for books on this site, but I figure some explanation is needed here: it would seem exceptionally silly to give a star rating to something that some Egyptians wrote a few thousand years ago, or to pretend I'm some sort of expert who can judge this particular translation over later ones.

So instead, simply take the "four star" rating as meaning I humbly found The Egyptian Book of the Dead an enjoyable and educational read as a lay person.
Sylvia
Apr 17, 2012 Sylvia marked it as not-yet-finished  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art
Wonderful book. Not for reading front to back, because that's the wrong way as we don't understand the Egyptian way of life in the times of the Pharaohs and their involvement in afterlife.
The commentary part (starting on page 139) is leading. There can be found and explanation about the way Egyptians might have seen there life and more important their afterlife, because that's what the Book of Ani is all about.
i_hate_books
The author spends more time than I care for on defending ancient Egyptian religion against an imaginary reader who can only comprehend contemporary faiths. But the book was very informative for my projects, contains translations of "chapters" missing from the papyrus this book focuses on, and offers a commentary section for more in-depth discussion.
Angie
should be required reading, with footnotes and much Egyptian literary history. Beautiful book of death and life.
Jim
Not a big fan of Budge's dry (almost high-English cant) translations, though they may have helped invoke the sentiment at the very least. Perhaps a literal translation accompanied by some modern day interpretation and embellishment would achieve the same purpose. Historical contexts were well discussed in the intro. Fascinating look at ancient religious rituals. The changing demagogic influences and hierarchies between texts and historical periods and locales was the most surprising. There are s...more
Bradley McCann
I haven't actually read this cover to cover, just browsed through the sections that fascinated me. It's an amazing piece of history, absolutely absorbing, revealing both the wisdom and superstitions in ancient Eqyptian spirituality. Takes a lot of googling and wikipedia scanning to understand terms and concepts, and plenty of rereading and footnote skimming in order for a layman to understand, but compelling enough for me to invest the effort.
Shelley
Super quick read. Took me about 30 minutes but it had some interesting information in it. It was a free download for my Kindle but I have always been interested with the Egyptian culture and especially their death rituals and beliefs. This is kind of like a summary of their beliefs, well some of them. The Book of the Dead refers to documents that were left in burial chambers, tombs, etc. and not to one book in particular. This synopsis gives the story of Osiris and how he became the King of the...more
Annie
The book got the star rating it did because of two things: one, the formatting of the text (it was bogged down in footnotes), and two, Budge's less-than-subtle Christian slant. As much as I enjoy a good book on comparative religion, this really wasn't the time or place. As such, I side-eyed a lot of the talk about morality in ancient Egypt and the "savagery" of the people. Ugh. I suppose that's just the edition I had, however.

That being said, The Papyrus of Ani itself was quite beautiful. It wa...more
أحمد الناغي
بعيدا على انه كتاب ديني..

الفراعنة كان عندهم علم مفهمتوش، بحاول افسره كده بلاقي حاجات غير منطقية.. فجأة كده اكتشف ان حورس مش ابن اوزوريس :D

والاستاذ - مش الإله.. - تيمو اللي مذكور انه بيسافر بالطبق الطاير :v

هااااع، مرحبا بكم في عكننة الدماغ :v
Oceana2602
Yeah, okay, so I never read this. I bought in 1995 in New Zealand, in a small, rather esoteric shop in Dunedin right off of George Street, if I remember correctly. 14 years later, I can admit that buying it had more to do with my then-dilusion of becoming an Egyptologist and not the lawyer that everyone told me I'd become (and how right they were. *sigh*). Also, it seemed kinda cool.

Years later, however, owning this book become a whole different meaning for me, when I fell in love with Stargate,...more
Adam Cummings
I've reviewed numerous books that people have no business 'reviewing' and this is definitely one of them. How could anyone review a translation, which could be totally wrong or even lacking in tiny yet important details that could drastically change the meaning. Still, this is budge, and when it comes to Egyptian text, he's the man. So you can't criticize the translation, I don't care how long you've studied hieroglyphs, you could be just as wrong as budge, and the story is in essence the tale o...more
Jessica
I'm not going to lie... I skimmed it. Much of it is over my head, but I really enjoyed reading the individual prayers to some of the gods/goddesses. Very cool.
Kathryn
The Book of the Dead consists of magical texts and illustrations that would help the dead pass through the underworld and get to the Field of Reeds (heaven). It was buried with the dead. Wealthy individuals had customized texts with their own names included, while the poor had generic texts. Not all spells were included in all books, and there was not a standard order or sequence.

To write this book, Faulkner translated the various texts at the British Museum, drawing on years of Egyptology. To b...more
Dallas Stevens
Good book

free book
has s good of history

very good for a free book

far better than I was thinking it
books
  • How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs: A Step-by-Step Guide to Teach Yourself
  • Ancient Egyptian Myths and Legends
  • Ancient Egypt: An Illustrated Reference to the Myths, Religions, Pyramids and Temples of the Land of the Pharaohs
  • Egyptian Mythology: A Guide to the Gods, Goddesses, and Traditions of Ancient Egypt
  • The Complete Gods and Goddesses of Ancient Egypt
  • Tutankhamun and the Golden Age of the Pharaohs: Official Companion Book to the Exhibition sponsored by National Geographic
  • The Oxford History of Ancient Egypt
  • The Murder of Tutankhamen
  • Ancient Egypt
  • The Message of the Sphinx: A Quest for the Hidden Legacy of Mankind
  • Nefertiti: Unlocking the Mystery Surrounding Egypt's Most Famous and Beautiful Queen
  • The Orion Mystery: Unlocking the Secrets of the Pyramids
  • Sefer Yetzira: The Book of Creation: In Theory and Practice
  • Magick: Liber ABA: Book 4
  • Red Land, Black Land: Daily Life in Ancient Egypt
  • A Garden of Pomegranates: Skrying on the Tree of Life
  • The History of Magic
  • The Book of the Sacred Magic of Abra-Melin, The Mage — As Delivered By Abraham The Jew Unto His Son Lamech — As A Grimoire of The 15th Century
Sir Ernest Alfred Thompson Wallis Budge was an English Egyptologist, Orientalist, and philologist who worked for the British Museum and published numerous works on the ancient Near East.
More about E.A. Wallis Budge...
Egyptian Magic The Gods of the Egyptians, Volume 1 Egyptian Language: Easy Lessons in Egyptian Hieroglyphics An Egyptian Hieroglyphic Dictionary, Vol. 1 The Gods of the Egyptians, Volume 2