Start by marking “Take Ivy” as Want to Read:
Take Ivy

Take Ivy

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  160 ratings  ·  18 reviews
Described by The New York Times as, “a treasure of fashion insiders,” Take Ivy was originally published in Japan in 1965, setting off an explosion of American-influenced “Ivy Style” fashion among students in the trendy Ginza shopping district of Tokyo. The product of four sartorial style enthusiasts, Take Ivy is a collection of candid photographs shot on the campuses of ...more
Published August 31st 2010 by powerHouse Books

To ask other readers questions about Take Ivy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Take Ivy

Jacobmartin
This book is best read AFTER seeing The Social Network, a movie which caused me to view Harvard and the Ivy League through the lens of pants-wetting fear. Our friendly Japanese author takes us through a guide of American Ivy League schools, comparing and contrasting his own culture's pressure on the young to study hard to get into Japan's top campuses.

As an Australian looking into this book, I find a lot of things mentioning Ivy League Uni culture a bit baffling, if not terrifying. The author th
Rajit Malhotra
Having attended an Ivy League institution and having developed a deep interest in preppy fashion, I was delighted to find out that an affordable version of this book was released in English. It is fascinating to see how the original author compares the Ivy League universities to Japan as it brings out the little nuances that we take for granted. I will say the book seems a bit repetitive in certain cases and is not really enlightening in terms of the history of Ivy League fashion. It simply is a ...more
A
What an utter disappointment. I never saw the online scans of the original book, but the reproduction quality in this edition is ATROCIOUS. The photos are blurry and grainy, the b&w snaps are indecipherable, everything is spotted with dirt and scratches, and the color balance is completely off (unless I'm mistaken and in the 1950s-60s all Ivy Leaguers actually had beet-red fake tans and dyed their white shirts a dingy puke green). In short, the image quality in this makes a 90s punk 'zine re ...more
Leanda
This book was originally published in Japanese in 1965. I've been wanting to read this book since I heard it was going to be released in English four years ago. I enjoyed looking at the photographs of the classic collegiate prep fashion.
Fadhli
Do you love America? Do you love American style? Do you love Brook Brothers? What about Ralph Lauren, do you love it? Final question, do you love preppy or ivy style? If 80% of the answer is yes, you gotta read this book.

There is not much paragraph on this book. You can finish it in one day, i guarantee. This book is like a gallery of Ivy Leaguer in 1960's. But the great thing is this book is written by a Japanese. I believe that Japan is the best adopter in the world. It published in 1965 and s
Blythe Gifford
A strange little volume. It is a Japanese view (words and pictures) of the American Ivy League campuses, particularly campus "fashions," of the early 1960's. For most people now, this is a world as distant in time as it was a culture distant in space to the authors. As a result, the explanatory commentary is strangely resonant. I borrowed a copy from the library, and unless you are a real aficionado, I suggest you do the same.
Sarah Rosenberger
First published in 1965, this overview of mid-1960s Ivy League fashion purposely retains the aesthetic of a book you would stumble across in a vintage shop. Through both B&W and color photos and captions translated from the original, it deftly illustrates that where preppy fashion is concerned, the more things change, the more they stay the same.
Gunderhaegg
This is the story of four Japanese men who visited the eight Ivy League schools in an attempt to document Ivy League culture. They observe fashion, mannerisms, school culture,.... you name it. The photography is fantastic, and the photo captions are fantastic reading thanks to the naive tone.
Mark
Great time, classic. Feel guilty for giving a high grade to a book which has so many crisp clean color pictures
Jen
Funny text (translated from Japanese) and pretty cool pictures make this a fun book to flip through.
Mckinley
This should be under humor - the captions are awesome. They make the book.
Nicole Pesce
Great images and unintentionally humorous writing.
Hank Stuever
Mesmerizing. Bizarre. What you want instead of TRUE PREP.
Emma
I want a sequel which includes the fashion of ivy girls!
Adam
A gorgeous look at classic Ivy style for men.
Laird Bennion
Fun book - made better by the clunky English.
Suz
Found this gem at Ben Silver.
Ashley Collman
Ashley Collman marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Thomas Parker
Thomas Parker marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2015
Dreambelieve17
Dreambelieve17 marked it as to-read
Jan 11, 2015
Lee Seung
Lee Seung marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Emmathoms1gmail.com
Emmathoms1gmail.com marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Aimee
Aimee marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2015
Colby Holloman
Colby Holloman marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014