Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family: Simple Ways to Keep Daily Responsibilities and Household Chaos from Taking Over Your Life (Don't Sweat the Small Stuff)

3.85 of 5 stars 3.85  ·  rating details  ·  638 ratings  ·  58 reviews
In Don't Sweat The Small Stuff with Your Family, we see how not to let small annoyances in our home lives get us down. From defusing kids who are whining or fighting, to working out issues with a spouse, to reducing the hassles over household chores, Richard Carlson shows us ways to make our relationships at home - the place where it counts most - more peaceful and loving.
Published April 1st 1998 by Hyperion (first published January 1st 1998)

Cindy
Aug 21, 2012 Cindy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
A couple of my favorites:

#14 Encourage boredom in your children

#47 When someone asks you how you are, don't emphasize how busy you are

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family is a good book, but it should probably be read slowly. I read it in one sitting and finished it a little overwhelmed.

Basically, love your kids, take care of yourself and keep your life simple.
Lindy
This is one of those books that most of the content seems obvious, yet none of us do what Carlson suggests. There are 100 chapters, with each chapter briefly explaining a principle to keep life stress-free at home. It's a great book, however, I think I would be able to apply it more if I read one chapter a week and worked on that principle.
Bill Donhiser
Rather simplistic but some very important points. A good book to read when day to dat stuff is keeping you from the big picture. The big word to take away is responsibility.
Ahmad
Can anything be more important than our families?
Kimberly
Learn from kids as they live in the moment. Your most effective, powerful and positive energy is the energy of right now.

Protect your privacy. Protecting and respecting your own privacy is a statement to yourself and others that you value yourself aand your own peace of mind.

Live from your heart. Make decisions that resonate within your heart and your own values.

Keep promises.

Voluntary simplicity. Don't fall into habit of ever-increasing wants, desires, and 'keeping up with the Joneses.

Keep good...more
Lara Mckee
This book was okay- nothing earth-shattering. I tried to read one tip each night before bed and then try to incorporate the tip during my day the next day. There were a few ideas I liked: Develop Your Own Reset Button; Stop Exchanging Horror Stories; Think Of Something You Did Right Today; Surrender To The Fact That There's Always Something To Do; and Become Less Easily Bothered. The author was asked to describe the average person in a few words and he chose "easily bothered". I thought that was...more
Booksdingle
Decent enough reminder and easy to flick through
Shelli
100 great ideas or inspirations to remind us of what most of us already know, but often forget when feeling stressed and overwhelmed. Lately I have been struggling with many "small" things in my own household and this was a wonderful reminder about putting things in perspective and stopping to think more than just react. Hopefully some, or even 1, of the 100 things mentioned will come to mind the next time small stuff, or the not so small stuff, happens.
Brynn
a little turned off by the shear number of "small stuff" books Carlson has written, (there must be a lot of overlap and he must be making a lot of $$) but this book was very applicable to my little family and if reminded of it often, i'm sure my home will be happier because of it's bits of wisdom.
Katie Mansfield
well, I definitely know the Carlson family better than I did earlier today..
besides the I'm-trying-really-hard-to-show-you-I'm-not-perfect-eitherness of this book, I kinda liked it. definitely one I'll be reading again, just to remind myself how small the small stuff really is.
Sherri
some helpful, some unrealistic and some just down right guilt-inducing. Overall-it is a fresh perspective--I read after recently getting married for the first time at age 40 and struggling to find the balance between "super-wife" and just maintaining a sense of "me".
Robin
Good book to keep on the bedstand in case it's too late to get into your current read and you just need a little something to relax. A feel-good-I should do this- book. The book just keeps things in perspective and a good reminder. I enjoy his books.
Gena Lott
The snippets of wisdom in this book may at times seem like so much "so what" and "oh really?" But occasionally a real gem hit me right between the eyes. It is worth a quick read. And that is what it will be because of the short quote-like presentation.
Maryam
کتای خوبی بود، اینگار تو یه سالی پرفروش ترین کتاب سال هم شد!
گاهی وقتا یه چیزایی که میدونی یا تجربه کردی باید به شکل نوشتاری بخونیشون تاثیر خوبی واست بذارن،شایدم عادتمون شده! کتاب روون و کاربردی ای بود،یه قسمتایی از کتاب هم حتما باز میخونم.
Jessamyn
Apr 30, 2011 Jessamyn rated it 3 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Parents
Everything written in its pages are universally true. I could apply everything to my life and it really works. It is well written, but easy to understand. Anyone could pick it up and say, "Wow, that makes perfect sense to me."
Heidi
Ok, it's not rocket science but we all need a short reminder now and then about what is truly important. This was a gift from my friend, Margaret, and it now sits in our living room for moments of inspiration.
Martha
I keep this book out all of the time and grab it when I need a reminder of how good life actually is, and to put everything in perspective. I'm hoping it will rub off on the rest of the household
Rachel John-Gilbert
Lots of wisdom, vulnerability & easy advice for taking the high road in life.

My thinking and life has been positively impacted by many of the books in the Small Stuff Series.

Jillian Halm
This book has been wonderful in helping me deal with my family. I pick a different thing to work on about once a week and we all try to focus on that one thing.
Kaz.
These books by Richard Carlson are good to read every now and then to keep a perspective on what is important in your life and what is not, it's a great little reminder.
Glenette
Richard Carlson wrote the best advice in his books. I enjoyed every one that I have read and hope to use some of his suggestions in my every day life at home and work.
Karen
Valuable book for ideas of how to destress your family life, nothing earthshaking or new, but a good reminder not to sweat the small stuff. Worth a read.
Becky
This books content is completely obvious....yet it's all stuff we forget to do. Serves as a great reminder, this is one I need to continually read. Love it!
Kristin
This book is designed for the "stereotypical family" a.k.a mom, dad, kids, white picket fence. It didn't really fit with my single mom type family.
Idak
average. if you're a type of minutely person, this book won't give you a deeper touch, coz you already become the person that this book wrote.
Rushfan2
I have read this book several times, and find it an awesome book to re-read.....helps you appreciate your family more......
Beth
Ha! have decided after reading this that i don't actually sweat the small stuff much..it's the major life stuff that bothers me!
Sandra Citron
Wherever you go, there you are.
Think of something you did right today.
Embrace change.
Lea Minniti
Seems like common sense, but incorporating the strategies into daily life could be profound. Good, quick read.
Krista
I have to say I glossed through this one. Didn't seem to contain new information or inspire me like first book.

• Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Women: Simple and Practical Ways to Do What Matters Most and Find Time For You
  • Family First: Your Step-by-Step Plan for Creating a Phenomenal Family
  • Transforming the Difficult Child: The Nurtured Heart Approach
  • I Don't Have to Make Everything All Better
  • A Joyful Mother of Children: The Magic and Mayhem of Motherhood
  • Simplify Your Life: 100 Ways to Slow Down and Enjoy the Things That Really Matter
  • The Five Love Languages of Teenagers
  • Stop Whining, Start Living
  • Reinventing Your Life: The Breakthrough Program to End Negative Behavior...and Feel Great Again
  • Never Be Lied to Again: How to Get the Truth in 5 Minutes or Less in Any Conversation or Situation
  • The Courage to be Rich
  • Death: The Final Stage of Growth
  • Between Husband & Wife: Gospel Perspectives on Marital Intimacy
  • Emotional Vampires: Dealing With People Who Drain You Dry
  • Why Marriages Succeed or Fail: And How You Can Make Yours Last
  • 10-10-10: A Life-Transforming Idea
  • The New York Public Library Desk Reference
  • How to Hug a Porcupine: Dealing With Toxic & Difficult to Love Personalities
Richard Carlson Ph.D. was an author, psychotherapist, and motivational speaker, who rose to fame with the success of his best-selling book Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff…and it’s all Small Stuff (1997).

He met and married Kristine Anderson (Kris Carlson) in 1981 while he was a student at Pepperdine University in Malibu, California.

Carlson published his first book in 1985, but became famous when his Do...more
More about Richard Carlson...
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life Don't Sweat the Small Stuff in Love: Simple Ways to Nurture and Strengthen Your Relationships While Avoiding the Habits That Break Down Your Loving Connection Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress and Conflict While Bringing Out the Best in Yourself and Others You Can Be Happy No Matter What: Five Principles for Keeping Life in Perspective Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens: Simple Ways to Keep Your Cool in Stressful Times