Start by marking “Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family: Simple Ways to Keep Daily Responsibilities and Household Chaos from Taking Over Your Life” as Want to Read:

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family: Simple Ways to Keep Daily Responsibilities and Household Chaos from Taking Over Your Life (Don't Sweat the Small Stuff)

3.87 of 5 stars 3.87  ·  rating details  ·  757 ratings  ·  67 reviews
In Don't Sweat The Small Stuff with Your Family, we see how not to let small annoyances in our home lives get us down. From defusing kids who are whining or fighting, to working out issues with a spouse, to reducing the hassles over household chores, Richard Carlson shows us ways to make our relationships at home - the place where it counts most - more peaceful and loving.
Published April 1st 1998 by Hachette Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family

Jonathan-David Jackson
Simple advice for life in a family. Out of the 100 things there probably weren't more than 10 that I don't already know of and try to do, but it's good to be reminded. Also, since I already know of/do most of them, it was also good to feel pleased with myself.

A few of the things seemed like filler to me, since the author wanted a book of 100 things. Probably would have been better to go with 90 and leave out a few that are similar to others.

For anybody who frequently feels stressed about family
Cindy
Aug 21, 2012 Cindy rated it 3 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
A couple of my favorites:

#14 Encourage boredom in your children

#47 When someone asks you how you are, don't emphasize how busy you are

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff with Your Family is a good book, but it should probably be read slowly. I read it in one sitting and finished it a little overwhelmed.

Basically, love your kids, take care of yourself and keep your life simple.
Lindy
This is one of those books that most of the content seems obvious, yet none of us do what Carlson suggests. There are 100 chapters, with each chapter briefly explaining a principle to keep life stress-free at home. It's a great book, however, I think I would be able to apply it more if I read one chapter a week and worked on that principle.
Bill Donhiser
Rather simplistic but some very important points. A good book to read when day to dat stuff is keeping you from the big picture. The big word to take away is responsibility.
Ahmad Sharabiani
Can anything be more important than our families?
Kimberly
Learn from kids as they live in the moment. Your most effective, powerful and positive energy is the energy of right now.

Protect your privacy. Protecting and respecting your own privacy is a statement to yourself and others that you value yourself aand your own peace of mind.

Live from your heart. Make decisions that resonate within your heart and your own values.

Keep promises.

Voluntary simplicity. Don't fall into habit of ever-increasing wants, desires, and 'keeping up with the Joneses.

Keep good
Jessamyn Wilson
This book is written in a casual conversational way, as if sitting in a room talking to a friend. The advice he gives is simple and easy to use, but things that most of us often overlook on a daily basis. I found this book the be interesting with all of his personal stories and examples. However, I don't feel that he truly had 100 tips, because some of them were just spin-offs of each other. This made some chapters a little boring because, well, I had read the same thing worded differently in pr ...more
Lindsay
While this book had some good wisdom and pleasant reminders, I honestly was hoping for a little more oomph to the content. There were a handful of entries that sparked some thought, but most were pretty basic and general advice (ie don't go to bed mad, this too shall pass, you can't take it with you). This might be best suited for a very young family starting out that is under experienced in life and overwhelmed by the chaos of daily living.
Emma
A book with lots of advice about how to slow down and step back so you can appreciate your family instead of noticing all the negatives in your day-to-day life. Some things we already do but also plenty of good ideas for me to try implement.
سارة
مقدرش بيتكلم ازاي يعني!!
أنا لو ورقة مشخبطة فيها استحالة أرميها
إنها أشيائي
Lara Mckee
This book was okay- nothing earth-shattering. I tried to read one tip each night before bed and then try to incorporate the tip during my day the next day. There were a few ideas I liked: Develop Your Own Reset Button; Stop Exchanging Horror Stories; Think Of Something You Did Right Today; Surrender To The Fact That There's Always Something To Do; and Become Less Easily Bothered. The author was asked to describe the average person in a few words and he chose "easily bothered". I thought that was ...more
Booksdingle
Decent enough reminder and easy to flick through
Shelli
100 great ideas or inspirations to remind us of what most of us already know, but often forget when feeling stressed and overwhelmed. Lately I have been struggling with many "small" things in my own household and this was a wonderful reminder about putting things in perspective and stopping to think more than just react. Hopefully some, or even 1, of the 100 things mentioned will come to mind the next time small stuff, or the not so small stuff, happens.
Kevin E
Great practical advice. Much of it reminds you of a simpler mindset when you truly valued each day "as if it were your last," and said goodbye to everyone as if you would never see them again. I've read a good share of "self-help" books-including the first in this series, "Don't Sweat the Small Stuff (and it's ALL small stuff)," and this is a worthy addition to one's mental volumes.
Brynn
a little turned off by the shear number of "small stuff" books Carlson has written, (there must be a lot of overlap and he must be making a lot of $$) but this book was very applicable to my little family and if reminded of it often, i'm sure my home will be happier because of it's bits of wisdom.
Katie Mansfield
well, I definitely know the Carlson family better than I did earlier today..
besides the I'm-trying-really-hard-to-show-you-I'm-not-perfect-eitherness of this book, I kinda liked it. definitely one I'll be reading again, just to remind myself how small the small stuff really is.
Kira Dlusskaya
Like all the books by Dr. Carlson, this one was full of solid advice in approachable sections. Of course, there is some overlap between his books, so it felt like re-reading a previous one sometimes, but these are the sorts of books one would want to read over again.
Sherri
some helpful, some unrealistic and some just down right guilt-inducing. Overall-it is a fresh perspective--I read after recently getting married for the first time at age 40 and struggling to find the balance between "super-wife" and just maintaining a sense of "me".
Robin
Good book to keep on the bedstand in case it's too late to get into your current read and you just need a little something to relax. A feel-good-I should do this- book. The book just keeps things in perspective and a good reminder. I enjoy his books.
Gena Lott
The snippets of wisdom in this book may at times seem like so much "so what" and "oh really?" But occasionally a real gem hit me right between the eyes. It is worth a quick read. And that is what it will be because of the short quote-like presentation.
Maryam
کتای خوبی بود، اینگار تو یه سالی پرفروش ترین کتاب سال هم شد!
گاهی وقتا یه چیزایی که میدونی یا تجربه کردی باید به شکل نوشتاری بخونیشون تاثیر خوبی واست بذارن،شایدم عادتمون شده! کتاب روون و کاربردی ای بود،یه قسمتایی از کتاب هم حتما باز میخونم.
Brittany
This was my first "Don't Sweat The Small Stuff" book and I didn't really expect to get as many good ideas from it as I did. There are 100 bite-sized pieces of advice and inspiration for ways to make your family life better.
Jessamyn
Apr 30, 2011 Jessamyn rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Parents
Everything written in its pages are universally true. I could apply everything to my life and it really works. It is well written, but easy to understand. Anyone could pick it up and say, "Wow, that makes perfect sense to me."
Heidi
Ok, it's not rocket science but we all need a short reminder now and then about what is truly important. This was a gift from my friend, Margaret, and it now sits in our living room for moments of inspiration.
Martha
I keep this book out all of the time and grab it when I need a reminder of how good life actually is, and to put everything in perspective. I'm hoping it will rub off on the rest of the household
Rachel John-Gilbert
Lots of wisdom, vulnerability & easy advice for taking the high road in life.

My thinking and life has been positively impacted by many of the books in the Small Stuff Series.

Theresa
mum got this for my husband
Jillian Russell
This book has been wonderful in helping me deal with my family. I pick a different thing to work on about once a week and we all try to focus on that one thing.
Kaz.
These books by Richard Carlson are good to read every now and then to keep a perspective on what is important in your life and what is not, it's a great little reminder.
Glenette
Richard Carlson wrote the best advice in his books. I enjoyed every one that I have read and hope to use some of his suggestions in my every day life at home and work.
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Women: Simple and Practical Ways to Do What Matters Most and Find Time For You
  • Family First: Your Step-by-Step Plan for Creating a Phenomenal Family
  • Chicken Soup for the Parent's Soul: 101 Stories of Loving, Learning and Parenting
  • Simplify Your Life: 100 Ways to Slow Down and Enjoy the Things That Really Matter
  • Stop Whining, Start Living
  • Reinventing Your Life: The Breakthrough Program to End Negative Behavior...and Feel Great Again
  • Personality Plus for Parents: Understanding What Makes Your Child Tick
  • Body, Mind, and Sport: The Mind-Body Guide to Lifelong Health, Fitness, and Your Personal Best
  • A Joyful Mother of Children: The Magic and Mayhem of Motherhood
  • The New York Public Library Desk Reference
  • I Don't Have to Make Everything All Better
  • 10-10-10: A Life-Transforming Idea
  • Speed Cleaning
  • Getting Together: Building Relationships As We Negotiate
  • Never Be Lied to Again: How to Get the Truth In 5 Minutes Or Less In Any Conversation Or Situation
  • Children Are from Heaven: Positive Parenting Skills for Raising Cooperative, Confident, and Compassionate Children
  • Fierce Leadership: A Bold Alternative to the Worst "Best" Practices of Business Today
  • Death: The Final Stage of Growth
Richard Carlson Ph.D. was an author, psychotherapist, and motivational speaker, who rose to fame with the success of his best-selling book Don’t Sweat the Small Stuff…and it’s all Small Stuff (1997).

He met and married Kristine Anderson (Kris Carlson) in 1981 while he was a student at Pepperdine University in Malibu, California.

Carlson published his first book in 1985, but became famous when his Do
More about Richard Carlson...

Don't Sweat the Small Stuff (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff in Love: Simple Ways to Nurture and Strengthen Your Relationships While Avoiding the Habits That Break Down Your Loving Connection
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress and Conflict While Bringing Out the Best in Yourself and Others
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Men: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress in a Competitive World
  • Don't Sweat The Small Stuff, For Mothers
  • Don't Sweat The Small Stuff: For Fathers
  • Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens: Simple Ways to Keep Your Cool in Stressful Times
  • A Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Treasury: A Special Collection for Newlyweds
  • A Don't Sweat the Small Stuff Treasury: A Special Selection for Mothers
Don't Sweat the Small Stuff ... and it's all small stuff: Simple Ways to Keep the Little Things from Taking Over Your Life Don't Sweat the Small Stuff in Love: Simple Ways to Nurture and Strengthen Your Relationships While Avoiding the Habits That Break Down Your Loving Connection Don't Sweat the Small Stuff at Work: Simple Ways to Minimize Stress and Conflict While Bringing Out the Best in Yourself and Others You Can Be Happy No Matter What: Five Principles for Keeping Life in Perspective Don't Sweat the Small Stuff for Teens: Simple Ways to Keep Your Cool in Stressful Times