Start by marking “Happy End à Hollywood” as Want to Read:
Happy End à Hollywood

Carole Matthews

Happy End à Hollywood

3.57  ·  Rating Details  ·  845 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews

A story of love, life and going completely la-la in LA, from the internationally bestselling author of Bare Necessity and For Better, For Worse, Carole Matthews.

One girl in love with two guys
Isn't that the sweetest taboo?

Sadie Nelson knows that falling in love can be big trouble - especially when she discovers that the best things in life are never free. Her heart starts

Published 2009 by Marabout (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Happy End à Hollywood, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Happy End à Hollywood

Alexandra Gillgrass
As a huge fan of the Carole Matthews books anyway I didn't hesitate at picking this one up, without even reading the blurb. I started to read this book as a sort of break from all the heavier things I'd been reading, mosly non-fictional. At the heart of this, is a pure chick lit read.

It has everything you would want in a chick lit book. Sadie is really likeable as the main character and am always pleased with all the Brit references, as she's in America for 90% of the book. It does have the some
Kim
This book was first published in 2003 and is set mainly in Los Angeles, particularly around Hollywood. The story is about Sadie Nelson who has two men in her life and is finding it hard to choose between them.
This is the lowest rating I have given a Carole Matthews book and that is for two reasons: firstly, unlike most other Carole Matthews books I have read, including some of her earlier work, this one seemed a little dated and that detracted from me making a quick connection with Sadie's char
Yuliya
Jul 09, 2016 Yuliya rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Това бе третата книга, която прочетох от автора (след "Шоколадов рай" и "Шоколадът и градът"). Стандартна за книгите от този жанр ситуация - запознанство, последвано от "бягство" в далечна страна. Но пък ситуациите, застигащи героинята, са много комични. Много мъже могат да се припознаят в образа на Гил, който хем не желае съпругата си, но и не може да се отърве от нея. Има много изключително забавни моменти в книгата, но любимо ми е приключението на Сали с ролковите кънки :hahaha: Бих я прочела ...more
Green25
Judul: The Sweetest Taboo
Pengarang: Carole Matthews
Penerbit: Gramedia Pustaka Utama/Chicklit

Sadie Nelson jatuh cinta pada pandangan pertama pada Gil Mcgann, orang yang baru sekali ditemuinya di London yang kemudian mengajaknya untuk pergi dan tinggal dengannya di Amerika.
Kok bisa-bisanya percaya sama orang asing yang belum lama dikenal begitu aja...

Belum lagi ternyata si Gil udah punya istri dan masih tahap cerai, tapi masih ngajak Sadie untuk tinggal bareng???

Tapi, seenggaknya karakter travis y
Veronica Widya
well, kalo menurutku sih ceritanya lumayan sebenernya.
Yang aku suka dari buku yang ditulis sama Carole adalah cara nulisnya, karena enaak banget dibacanya, jadi seru dan ga ngebosenin. Walo bisa aku akui, ada banyak selipan di buku ini tentang hal yang ga penting. Kalo satu dua hal aja sih ga masalah, tapi kalo terlalu banyak, jadi kesannya malah ngelantur. Bener kata Christian, saking terlalu banyak yang diceritain, jadi agak sedikit melenceng dari cerita.
Sebenernya kalo penulis mau menceritaka
Alice
Mar 24, 2013 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Mlle Alice, pouvez-vous nous raconter votre rencontre avec Happy End à Hollywood?

"Je vous ai déjà parlé de cette petite collection Marabout que j'aime beaucoup, notamment avec le Prince Charmant Met de l'Autobronzant, ou encore avec Cinq Filles, Trois Cadavres mais plus de Volant. Celui-ci m'a fait de l'oeil à ma dernière visite en librairie."

Dites-nous en un peu plus sur son histoire...

"Sadie n'a pas grand chose qui la retienne en Angleterre actuellement, alors quand elle croise ce magnifique
Erica
May 23, 2013 Erica rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well, I’d never heard of Carole Matthews before, and then I read two of her books in a row. Unfortunately I found this one to be the weaker one.
Sadie used to have a job in the high-flying banking world, until she was laid off. Since then she has been forced to grab every temporary job that’s offered to her in order to make ends meet. During a stint of handing out leaflets at a book fair she is approached by Gil McGann, a Hollywood movie producer who is on his last day in London, and they end up
Monica Akinyi Odhiambo
Wow I know that this book was fun,and really relatable.Sadie obviously is a down to earth woman who wants commitment and a serious relationship,she meets Gil and expects that things will be better only to find the guy still stuck up with his ex wife,who always seems to be the biggest hindrance.Then there is always available Travis who was amazing.
It was a fast read that was enjoyable,and thats what matters.So long as you turn the pages,what is left really.
Lori Whitwam
Dec 01, 2008 Lori Whitwam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
4 stars instead of 3, purely because the ending has a unique, non-cliche twist.

Sadie's life in England is not going well, and when she meets handsome Hollywood movie producer Gil, and he asks her to come to California, she takes the leap and goes. However, nothing goes right. Her luggage is stolen, Gil fails to pick her up from the airport, she has nowhere to stay, and Gil's not-so-ex-wife won't go away. Gil keeps trying to make things right, but he manages to botch things at every turn. Sadie f
Nina Draganova
Aug 14, 2016 Nina Draganova rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Отдавна не бях чела чиклит, а това е точно такава книга.
В началото ми беше скучна,но после стана доста весело.
Не блести с някакви кой знае какви качества,но ме разсмя.
И Карол Матюз стига до извода , че честността във връзките не е качество , което се цени.
Kat Robson
Jun 05, 2016 Kat Robson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
i liked this. a girl with a shitty job in London meets Mr sexy American with the best job... Movie producer and he sends for her. she turns up and hes not there... since then she gets a job and house with 24 hours like that happenes and yet she doesnt get to hit it off with Gil. it didnt end the way i wanted.
i did enjoy it and some parts i couldnt put the book down.
Marcia
I had a very small paperback version which made it a bit difficult to get into and read comfortably.

Carol Matthews is much better when she writes novels set in England because then she truly shines. This one set in LA was okay but not "absolutely delightful" like her books usually are.
Jessica
Feb 24, 2014 Jessica marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
A random pick up from the library that held some promise. However, the will they won't they scenario sours quickly.

Not enough energy to see how it turns out and to be honest, I really don't care.

Dhini
I gave it 3.5 stars.
Although the book is quite entertaining, but lots of things in the story that doesn't make sense. This book tells the story about Gil McGann who is deeply in love with Sadie Nelson in only one meeting, which makes him able to ask Sadie to come from London to LA to see him. But when finally Sadie comes to LA, Gil was not quite "bold" left his "crazy" wife (Gina) to start a normal life with Sadie. Sadie always be the second woman for Gil. This situation makes Sadie met Tavis,
Tricia
Jun 12, 2009 Tricia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
I enjoyed this book as it follows our heroine overseas from drab London to sunny Hollywood. It took a bit of a leap when our heroine understands her new potential lover's invitation to 'come to California' as her understand him to say 'move here forever', but I guess that is exactly the kind of misunderstanding that happens in real life all the time. The tension between the main characters and the other people in their lives was believable, and I felt that the story moved along at a good pace. T ...more
Laurie
Jul 25, 2014 Laurie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great beach read! Bridget Jones little sister??
Krishna
Fun, Light read, humorous - British humor
Sherri Hunter
Mar 14, 2010 Sherri Hunter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chick-lit
Well, I have to admit that initially I had my doubts about this book. The last book I read by this author totally turned me off so I was a little hesitant. I was surprised at how quickly it reads and how fast I was able to get to the 10th chapter. I really enjoyed the story and wasn't sure how the author was going to resolve the triangle between Sadie, Gil and Tavis. I liked both guys and would be torn if I were in Sadie's shoes. The ending didn't surprise me and I was happy with the way it turn ...more
Amy
Jun 04, 2015 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great for a quick beach read :)
Sabrina
Aug 22, 2011 Sabrina rated it really liked it
Un très bon chick lit !! En voyant le nombre de pages j'avais peur que ça soit une histoire toute en longueur et qui aurait des moments creux, mais c'est tout le contraire!
Finalement j'ai été transporté en Californie (à mon plus grand plaisir d'y retourner:), j'ai vécu avec Sadie toute son aventure, ses découvertes, ses yeux écarquillés face au signe Hollywood, également lors de la visite d'Universal Studios, de Venice Beach etc.
Bref, un excellent roman qui fait bon de lire en cette période est
Katie
May 03, 2014 Katie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Didn't finish this one
Sri Vidya
Funny and soul soothing!! But a stretch towards the end!!
Kaytee Muir
I thought this book was really cute. Sometimes, things got a little bit old but only because it was a problem of one of the characters that kept reoccurring but I suppose that helped get the point across. I just thought I got the point a lot earlier than I think the author assumed people would.

The story is a sort of Hollywood fairy tale but it's nice to think that it could actually happen. The ending was a surprise but I think it was for the best.
Takinchi Purnomo
Nov 01, 2013 Takinchi Purnomo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I Love it!

Aku suka banget sama adegan awal pertemuan antara Sadie sama Gil. Romantis awwwwwwww ><.
Buku ini benar-benar lucu dan menggemaskan. Meskipun aku harus akuin, hatiku terbang ke Tavis setelah semua yang dia lakukan untuk Sadie. Dan sorry buat Gil. Dia terlalu plin-plan dan... nggak jelas.
Meskipun sejujurnya endingnya kurang memuaskan.
Tapi aku bakalan seneng buat nyoba karya Carole Matthews yang lain.
3,5 stars
Karen Caruana
Dec 31, 2010 Karen Caruana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Sweetest Taboo by Carole Matthews

I am so happy that I am into Carole Matthews books.. This was such a great read... It was the first one by her, but I have already ordered more...
Christian
May 05, 2008 Christian rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Beli buku ini karena Carole Matthews-nya. Actually, sekali ini gue harus bilang... kecewa. For Better and Worse tuh keren abis, sementara ini? Ugh. Mana POV-nya berantakan lagi. Terlalu banyak yang pengen penulisnya ceritain sampe lupa logika cerita. Kecewa. Maaf, Mbak.
Jenny
Jan 24, 2012 Jenny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobooks
It got off to a slow start, but I became really engrossed in story of Sadie, who I think is a sassy likeable character that you really want her to have a happy ending. The characters are great although Gill is a bit annoying, but the ending was good!
Elephas
Fiona
Aug 04, 2016 Fiona rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audio version
Very enjoyable, the style reminded me Bridgette Jones.
Misha
Oct 01, 2007 Misha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Women/Gay Guys
I could not put this book down. It is what so many people really do go through in life, Mr. Right or Mr. Right now? Very compelling book, Very well written. Suspenseful at moments, and very comical!
  • The Wives of Bath
  • Chloe
  • Sowing Secrets
  • The Girlfriend Curse
120535
Carole Matthews is an international bestselling author of hugely successful romantic comedy novels. Her unique sense of humour has won her legions of fans and critical acclaim all over the world.

A Minor Indiscretion and A Compromising Position both reached the Top 5 in the Sunday Times bestseller chart in the UK. You Drive Me Crazy reached number 8 in the original fiction charts. The novel Welcom
More about Carole Matthews...