Start by marking “Alma the Younger (Book of Mormon, #3)” as Want to Read:
Alma the Younger (Book of Mormon, #3)

Alma the Younger (Book of Mormon #3)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  287 ratings  ·  70 reviews
Published June 1st 2010 by Covenant Communications, Incorporated

To ask other readers questions about Alma the Younger, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alma the Younger

Maria Zannini
I asked to read Alma The Younger even though I am not Mormon, nor am I familiar with their teachings. I simply knew that I enjoyed Heather Moore's stories in the past, and wanted to review it from a 'secular' point of view.

You have to understand also that I read everything with a deep level of disbelief. I demand the author prove to me that s/he can tell a story and make me live it with them.

It came as a true delight that Heather Moore didn't whitewash anything. The main character, Alma the youn
G.G. Vandagriff
Review: Alma the Younger
By H.B. Moore

I simply cannot praise this book enough. H.B. Moore has done the nearly impossible: she has created a protagonist who is also the antagonist, and made us love and care about him. She has demonstrated with consummate skill how a man, raised in righteousness, can be drawn into wickedness by the belief that he knows a better way of doing things than his leaders. In my mind, this book is what the Victorians called "An Awful Warning" to anyone who thinks they have
Emily
H.B. Moore has created another detailed scriptural retelling of the life of Alma the Younger. Using historical research based on Mayan cultural traditions she makes her characters setting and daily life seem very relatable and life like. I think she does a really good job at this and I enjoy the little details about food, hunting, and other traditions that give her stories a rich background. Alma’s bad decisions are the main basis for the plot and Moore has obviously put a lot of thought into th ...more
Sheila
Alma the Younger is another powerful book about Book Of Mormon Prophets and their people. The writing is so good that I just marvel at Heather's storytelling skills. There are times, I forget about the main story to re-read a line or two again. I want to study Heather's writing skills before jumping back into the story.

The story of Alma the Younger, was brought to life for me in ways I have never imagined before. The enormity of his evil doing and rebelliousness shook me. I also felt the same w
Michael Young
Though this is the third book in Moore's series of historical fiction based on the events of the Book of Mormon and the first one that I've picked up. (It is nice that you can read the books in any order)

I have read The Book of Mormon many times and I think sometimes, it is easy to get into a rut where you start to forget that they were real people will real lives, which were much more complex than was recorded in the record that we have. The author does a wonderful job of bringing these well-k
Rebecca Irvine
Heather Moore's newest volume in her fictionalized Book of Mormon series is Alma the Younger. I read this a few weeks back and was really impressed with the boldness of the plot line. It is one of Moore's more creative plots (if not the most creative)--but maybe this is due to the lack of detail the scriptures contain regarding Alma's life before his repentance. Still, I really admire Moore's writing abilities; her characters are strong and well-rounded (I both liked and disliked Alma for a vari ...more
Nikki Wilson
Ok, this story really made me think about the scriptures and really think about my impressions of Alma the Younger. At first I wasn't really buying the author's view of him until about halfway through when I finally realized that she was making the character more believable. She showed the rationalizations that led Alma the younger and the sons of Mosiah to become the instigators against the church. When telling the conversion story, she used Alma's own words as he had told his son, it was a rea ...more
07joshw
Josh Ward
Period 7
Do you like adventure and exciting books. First when I starting reading this book, my only intention was to just read a book for my schooling but I really got into it.
Alma the younger is a ferules man scared of nothing. He lives in a family that The Church is a BIG deal. Alma does not like that he is always bossed around told what to do and what not to do. At this age I guessed Alma the younger is in his young 20’s. He just gets so sick of it and one early morning is gone.
Alm
Michael Knudsen
It’s not often that I get hooked by LDS fiction to the point that I end up reading as I’m walking down the hall from one room to another, but I came across one of those books this past week.

H.B. Moore is rapidly doing for Book of Mormon-based fiction what Gerald N. Lund did for Church History with his Work and the Glory series. Her Out of Jerusalem quartet followed by this new series of prophet-protagonists including Abinadi, Alma, and now Alma the Younger may not be selling as well as Lund’s bo
Krista Jensen
From the first page of H.B. Moore's Alma the Younger I was drawn in, wanting to find out more, wanting to know these characters and where their paths led. Moore brings the character of Alma the Younger to life in answer to the question, "How could the son of a revered high priest go so bad and lead so many astray?" Her take formed an intriguing answer. I both loved Alma and cringed at him and kept turning pages, putting myself in Moore's Zarahemla, asking myself, "Where would I be?". Moore keeps ...more
Becki
I'm always a bit hesitant to read fiction based on scriptures due to the sacred nature of the context but I have always found Heather Moore's books to be very respectful and authentic, staying close to the actual scripture story.
In this story, the third in an incredible series of Book of Mormon prophets, we gain a greater insight into the reasons Alma the Younger may have rebelled against his religious upbringing. the questions he struggles with are the same people have had through out the ages
Danyelle Ferguson
Learning more about Alma the Younger and the type of man he could have been was fascinating. If this book is on your to-read list, I highly encourage you to read the Preface. In this section, H.B. Moore talks about all of the questions she asked to figure out who Alma the Younger was as a man, what type of person and characteristics he possibly had. When she talked about Alma being very intelligent and well educated, but not able to develop faith in something he couldn't see - it was like there ...more
Andrea
The story of Alma the Younger and the Sons of Mosiah is one of the more popular scripture stories in our church. It is a very powerful story of rebellion, repentance and conversion.

"Alma the Younger" fictionalizes the Book of Mormon character of the same name. His father is the high priest in Zarahemla. Alma feels somewhat trapped. He's been a scribe in the temple, and his path seems to have been chosen for him. Little by little Alma rebels and befriends "unbelievers". His best friends are the f
Lexie
If I had to choose my favorite out of H.B. Moore's Book of Mormon series, Alma the Younger would probably be it. Added to the fact that Alma the Younger is such an amazing story to begin with, H.B. Moore delves even deeper into the plot and adds a relatable element to it.

The tale of a wayward child and his journey home is something that many parents can sympathize with. Alma may have been a prophet of God but he was also a frustrated father who worried constantly about his son.

Alma the Younger i
Taffy
Another well-written Book of Mormon story from author Heather Moore.
Alma the Younger has been raised in the Church of which his father, Alma the Elder, is high priest. But along the path of life, Alma the Younger chooses to exercise his free agency and rebel against his father and the church.
He justifies his anger at his father by 'preaching' to saints that the church is wrong and leading them astray. He doesn't realize the pain he is causing, especially to his parents.
He goes too far in leading
Melanie
Someone said in a review that the descriptions of Alma the Younger's wicked period seemed too much to justify his actions, as if we as readers were somehow going to agree with him or root him on in the way he was behaving. I disagree. I thought it was great how believable it was, and how it could possibly make sense to *him* that what he was doing was right. I think it's entirely plausible for certain church members to behave wrongly and for certain unbelievers to suddenly determine that the chu ...more
Jenn
I've always loved Moore's books. Taking three and a half verses from the Book of Mormon (Mosiah 27:8-11) and turning it into 250 or some odd pages of a book has got to be a serious challenge, and all the harder because not everyone is going to be happy with how you portray one of their favorite prophets. :o)

I really enjoyed seeing how Moore developed Alma's character. She didn't make him evil - she made him rebellious, but she gave him motivation. I love how Moore's books always make the charact
Cheryl
Like other books I've read by Heather Moore, I thought this was exceptionally well done. She sticks to the facts, but gives us a peek at details we don't get in the scriptures. This helped me ponder what Alma the Younger's life might really have been like. It shows how Satan can deceive even the most elect. I would have liked to have seen more of the book deal with his conversion and feelings after the angel appeared to him. I was so looking forward to that part. I just recently learned that Moo ...more
Rachelle
I love this series of books. Heather definitely makes the Book of Mormon come to life. Her characters have such depth and it gives such insight into the motivations for their lifestyle. I’ve always loved the story of Alma the Younger and now I feel like I understand it even better because I got to go back in time and “see” him in action. The details of the surroundings attest to the in-depth studying Moore does for each of her novels. You won’t want to miss any of these captivating stories.
When I started listening to Moore's books, I honestly was expecting the same reaction that I had to Lund's books. But I really like it. She uses the scriptural account as the basis of a well-fleshed out storyline. I also appreciated that the arguments Alma the Younger used which eventually led him on a path of apostasy are really timeless. I suspect if I would have read the books, there might have been some interesting commentary which aren't available in the audio portion.
Darci
I want to give this one 4 but I just can't. I loved Abinadi and Alma. This one seemed just a little off to me. I think I was dissappointed that so much of the story was dedicated to Alma the Younger's character development as the antagonist and then at the very end he has his epiphony, all is well and the book was over. I wanted more detail in the after the angel period rather the such a quick tidy end. It seemed a little rushed at the end ...I just wanted more!
Alex
i was really hoping this book would focus more on the last 20-30 pages or so. the angel kickin' trash and the sons of mosiah going to preach the gospel to the lamanites; that's what i was expecting this book to focus on. not so much alma the younger leading himself and others astray. but i guess you can't ignore half of a story just because you like the other half more. maybe heather moore is saving that for her next book?!
Nichole
At first I was skeptical about this book. As I read I tried to not compare it to scripture. I know it is a historical fiction and I loved how they portrayed Alma the Younger's life. I love all the characters and the story that was created. Heather Moore knows how to weave scripture and inspiring words together to create a meaningful story of a Persons life. I can't wait to read her other stories.
Kisty
I liked this book also...But I gave it 3 stars because Alma the younger has a such a sad and frustrating story, which is not as enjoyable to read about! HB Moore portraited Alma the Younger very well! I can't wait for her next book to come out!!! Hopefully it will be about Captain Moroni!!! That would be awesome!
Cheri
A little slower start on this book, but once I got into it I couldn't put it down! I love thinking about the characters in the Book of Mormon and what they might have been like, they seem more real to me and not just another character in a book. Great story, can't wait for the next in the series!!
Wendy
I am ususually just trying to learn the lessons that they are teaching when I read my scriptures. I never take the time to think about what their daily lives may have been like. This book helped me see what might have caused Alma the younger to rebel against the church. I really enjoyed it.
Em7ar7
gives you an idea of what might have brought Alma to the point in his life where he was going around and destroying the church, and what his father and and Mosiah where going through as they watched their sons move further and further into apostasy. a love story is thrown in their too.
Heather
Alma the Younger is the best story to read and it helps me get a better look from the Book of Mormon. Alma the Younger choose not follow his father's teachings. He starts to lead many of good people away from the lord. He and his friends has a dangerous plan that would put his own life in jeopardy.
LuAnn
Feb 13, 2011 LuAnn rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: lds
Another winner in the LDS prophets series. I love the way Moore's books bring more clarity the stories of the Book of Mormon, helping me keep everyone straight! And the little romance doesn't hurt for keeping my attention, either.
Ruby
Like Heather's other LDS titles, this one's a winner so far. I finished it last week and would recommend it to anyone who likes LDS Historical Fiction. Moore makes you feel as though you are really back in Book of Mormon times.
  • Trespass (Traitor, #3)
  • Abish: Daughter of God: A Novel
  • Servant to a King
  • Smokescreen (Saint Squad, #5)
  • The Forgotten Warrior
  • In The Company of Angels
  • Dark Sky at Dawn
  • Master
  • Altered State
  • A Time To Die (Shandra Covington, #3)
  • Twitterpated
  • Within the Dark Hills
  • Legend of the Jewel (Isabelle Webb, #1)
  • Tower of Strength
  • The Ball's in Her Court
  • Cross My Heart
Heather B. Moore is a USA Today bestselling author, with a dozen historical thrillers written under the pen name H.B. Moore. Latest is Finding Sheba (will be re-released Feb 2015 through Thomas & Mercer). Under Heather B. Moore she writes romance and women’s fiction and inspirational non-fiction, latest is The Fortune Cafe. Her various author names can be confusing so her kids just call her Mo ...more
More about Heather B. Moore...
Abinadi (Book of Mormon, #1) Of Goodly Parents (Out of Jerusalem, #1) Alma (Book of Mormon, #2) Athena (The Newport Ladies Book Club) Heart of the Ocean