Start by marking “Thinking Out Loud: On the Personal, the Political, the Public and the Private” as Want to Read:
Thinking Out Loud: On the Personal, the Political, the Public and the Private

Thinking Out Loud: On the Personal, the Political, the Public and the Private

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  371 ratings  ·  30 reviews
"A splendid collection...Eloquent, powerful, compassionate and droll. There is considerable variety in the subjects she addresses....Compelling."
THE CLEVELAND PLAIN DEALER
Thinking out loud is what Anna Quindlen does best. A syndicated columnist with her finger on the pulse of women's lives, and her heart in a place we all share, she writes about the passions, politics, and
Published March 8th 1994 by Ballantine Books (first published 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Thinking Out Loud, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Thinking Out Loud

James Swenson
I know Anna Quindlen is alive, well, and writing successful novels, but I really miss her columns. Our local paper's editorial pages are desperate for her blend of insight, intelligence, and outrage.

These columns were published in 1990-92: over twenty years ago. Why don't more of them feel more dated? A generation later, we're still dealing with the same issues. In this collection, Quindlen is writing about an ill-considered rush to a poorly justified war in Iraq; about shaming victims of sexual
Sharon Thomas
This is a selection of New York Times editorials from the late 80s and early 90s by Anna Quindlen. These are the editorials that won her the Pulitzer Price for Commentary. She is smart, funny and a joy to read, partly because I share her politics. It is charmingly outdated, however. She vilifies Bush The Father, for example, whereas he seems to me to be positively statesmanlike in comparison to his son. I found the snapshot of political perspectives from that era to be interesting, and a little ...more
Katie
I waffled between three and four stars on this. The book was divided into helpful sections based on theme, and while the essays on her kids/family bored me to tears, her essays on politics (especially feminism) were some of the best journalism I've ever read. I guess that evens out to a four-star.

I only started reading Anna Quindlen's work when I was in high school and read Newsweek. As a result, I'd never read (or even really knew of in a solid way) her work for the New York Times. I was such a
Christa Avampato
I love Anna Quindlen's novels so when I saw this collection of her New York Times columns, I had to scoop it up. For the first half of the book I was engaged and interested. And then I realized that the columns she chose made her out to be someone who is constantly disappointed in the world. I agree with a lot of her political views, and I was grew more depressed about the world around me with each piece.

I recognize that there are a lot of terrible circumstances in the world, though this book h
Lisa
Anna Quindlen is an amazing writer and this is a great book of columns she wrote for the New York Times in the early 1990s. The only reason the book isn't "amazing" (5 stars) is because some of the columns, especially those about the presidential campaign between George W. Bush and Bill Clinton, are of necessity dated. But part of one column--about the famine in Somalia and the difficulty in getting relief supplies to the many thousands of starving--could have been written last summer, or yester ...more
Ted Brewster
Unrelievedly liberal, soppy, whining slosh. It's a boring read because page after page is so predictable. I used to like Quindlen's writing, but as an op-ed columnist she's in a class with Paul Krugman -- just nothing interesting day to day. You know what she's going to say, so why read it? I gave up after about a third of it.
Colleen Wainwright
These were all columns written for a daily paper and 20 years later, they don't hold up as essays written for their own sake, or even for a magazine, might. But they are full of great writing and great thinking, and it's kind of mind-boggling to me as a onetime blogger how consistently fine and thoughtful a writer she is.
Kaethe
More essays from Quindlen. She has a relaxed attitude, but she's thoughtful. I like that.
It was interesting to revisit the early 1990s from the perspective of adulthood and see how many of the issues she wrote about then are still exactly the same almost 20 years later. The section on abortion seemed particularly timely, given the Stupak debate. But since I basically already agreed with everything she had to say, it didn't really rock my world. I was just like, yeah, I think I'd like to work with this lady or have coffee or something. But I feel like I'll forget this book rather qui ...more
Lisa Vegan
May 12, 2007 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone except ultra conservatives who don't like getting upset
I adore Anna Quindlen. My favorite books are her compilations of columns, such as this one. (The only novel of hers I’ve thought was spectacular is Black and Blue.) She writes very well, thoughtfully and often with humor about everything personal, cultural, political, etc. in such a way that it’s easy for (so many, not just me) to feel as though she’d be a wonderful friend. I highly recommend these columns to all except those who are extremely conservative perhaps.
Deb
*A retrospective read*

Although the book's high-quality writing reflects what is to be expected of Quindlen, this collection of essays is now quite out-of-date, as would be expected of a book consisting of newspaper columns written in the early 1990s. Nonetheless, it makes for some interesting reading by providing an insightful (and intuitively on the mark) prelude to the political, social, and cultural climate of today.
Meghan
My Dad gave me this book in high school after I began to read the NY Times Op-Ed pages. I love how Quindlen interweaves the public and private into her pieces. She proves that you can be a feminist/supporter of females and still want a family; that you can have kids but want to discuss the president's foreign policy.

I would recommend this to all except the ultra-conservative.
Kim
I do love AQ fiction but was not as big a fan of the columns. I think one by one they would be thought provoking even when her position is different than mine, but read all at once it was not as interesting. I found the columns about normal life more interesting than the more political ones.
Ann
A collection of New York Times columnist Anna Quindlen's columns from the late 80's/early 90's. Her discussions of world events as seen through her prism as wife, mother, and woman inspired me to pursue journalism in college. She is an inspiration and was a hero of mine as a young adult.
Christine
This was the first Anna Quindlen book I read -- it is a compilation of her newspaper columns -- and I found her writing and her viewpoint particularly engaging and thought-provoking and at times humorous. I have been a fan of her non-fiction and fiction alike ever since.
Debbie
Quindlen is an insightful writer. I learned a lot from this collection of editorials. Her logical liberalism addresses an array of issuers from the early nineties. I remember all of them well, so it was refreshing for me to revisit them through her unique perspective
Mel
reading this collection of quindlen's columns made me realize how much i was unaware of in high school. (and made me worry that my lack of current events knowledge will be detrimental to my kids.) loved the intersection of the personal and the political in her writing.
Lisa
Quindlen's essays from the New York Times are great. She's so clever, smart, and compassionate. I'm looking forward to continuing my trek through the Quindlen archives and hoping one day to check out more of her fiction.
Kathy Wheeler
Thinking Out Loud is a collection of Anna Quindlen essays from mainly the 90s -- all before 2001. They are short, thoughtful essays and I enjoyed them.
Doug
I think Quindlen was one of the best Op-Ed writers the NY Times has had. This is a collection of some of her best articles.
Claudia Hutchinson
Anna Quinlan writes for Newsweek and I've been reading her books for the last 25 years
Ctb
Enjoyed her newspaper column, so tried this, but found it somewhat didactic and pedantic.
Julie
Jul 28, 2011 Julie added it
Anna Quindlen is brilliant. I never miss her column
Lisawohlert
Read anything by Quindlen be it fiction or non fiction.
Nora
Interesting columns. A bit dated but still fascinating.
Colleen
great one liners in here, what a brilliant lady
KDParr
The chapters in this book are hysterical!
Beth Shields-Szostak
signed by author; BCE
  • Too Close to Call: The Thirty-Six-Day Battle to Decide the 2000 Election
  • From Black Power to Hip Hop: Racism, Nationalism, and Feminism
  • Football for Dummies (For Dummies)
  • Old Friends
  • If You Can't Live Without Me, Why Aren't You Dead Yet?!
  • Why I Hate Abercrombie and Fitch: Essays on Race and Sexuality
  • The Conflict: How Modern Motherhood Undermines the Status of Women
  • Teacher: The One Who Made the Difference
  • Sister Age
  • Bulletproof Diva
  • It's the Little Things: Everyday Interactions That Anger, Annoy, and Divide the Races
Anna Quindlen is an American journalist and opinion columnist whose New York Times column, Public and Private, won the Pulitzer Prize for Commentary in 1992.

She began her journalism career in 1974 as a reporter with The New York Post. Between 1977 and 1994 she held several posts at the New York Times. She left journalism in 1995 to become a full-time novelist. She currently writes a bi-weekly colu
More about Anna Quindlen...
Black and Blue One True Thing Still Life with Bread Crumbs Every Last One Lots of Candles, Plenty of Cake