Start by marking “The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next, #3)

The Well of Lost Plots (Thursday Next #3)

4.09  ·  Rating Details  ·  29,803 Ratings  ·  1,475 Reviews
The Barnes & Noble Review
With New York Timesbestselling author Jasper Fforde as your guide, you're in for a wild and wonderful ride through The Well of Lost Plots, the third book in his hilarious, time-twisting, cross-genre series featuring literary sleuth Thursday Next. In the Nextian world, the borders of time and place, fact and fiction, are thinner than anyone imag
Published August 3rd 2004 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Well of Lost Plots, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Well of Lost Plots

Lena
May 17, 2008 Lena rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
I’m sad to say I didn’t enjoy this book anywhere near as much as the first two in the series. While I think Fforde’s choice to set the action almost entirely in the Bookworld was an intriguing one, I also got the sense he was in over his head.

Like many of the partially completed books in the Well of Lost Plots, there is a great amount of creativity on display here, but also a lot of half-baked ideas and poorly developed characters. The action took place in so many different settings and with su
Stephen
5.0 to 5.5 stars. I liked this book so much that when I finished it I had to really wonder whether I should go back and re-read the first two books in the series (which I have 4 stars and 3 stars respectively). The writing was absolutely superb, the plot was engaging and very original and the literary references hysterical. I found myself more than once jumping to Wikipedia to find out from which book a particular character or reference originated.

A few fun examples (1) a rage counseling sessio
F.R.
Oct 03, 2010 F.R. rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
In which my irritation at this series reaches a boiling point.

I had an odd reaction to the two previous Thursday Next novels, a curious mixture of subtle enjoyment and distinct annoyance. The enjoyment came from the fact that I’m a man who loves books and they were distinctly literary reads. But there was also a huge amount of quirkiness (never a quality I particularly like) and an arch ‘oh-isn’t-this-soooo-clever!’ self-satisfaction to the proceedings. There were points in the previous books wh
Carmen
Apr 28, 2015 Carmen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Literature lovers, people who like funny books
Recommended to Carmen by: Library
3rd BOOK IN THE "THURSDAY NEXT" SERIES. THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR THE PREVIOUS TWO BOOKS. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. NO SPOILERS FOR THIS VOLUME (#3)

Thursday Next is a war veteran. She has traveled into books. She has worked for Special Ops. She has fought a Supreme Evil Being. Her skills and smarts are legendary.

Thursday Next is pregnant. The father, her husband Landon, is dead - eradicated by those Goliath Corporation bastards. They traveled back in time and killed him as a 2-year-old. It's
Anthony Eaton
Aug 25, 2011 Anthony Eaton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised to see how many people didn't like this one as much as the first two. Personally, I loved it. Interestingly though, before I launched into the Thursday next books, I had already read the 1st 2 of Fforde's ' Nursery Crimes’ series, which intersects loosely with the book world setting of this 3rd novel, and for me a large part of the reading pleasure here was in the cleverness of that intersection, And so perhaps that has some impact upon the way I read the book.

Like the previous 2
Honor
Jul 19, 2008 Honor rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Writers and other book nerds.
I seem somewhat doomed to find series via a book somewhere in the middle. I'm sure it happens to everyone, but it -feels- like it happens to me a bit more often.

So... Except for people who find it accidentally, who'd read a review of this book? Likely someone who's interested in perhaps reading it... Who, I'd guess, would be someone who's already read the first two. So, this review's probably useless. None the less....

This book (as I'm sure is true for the rest of the series) is meant as somethi
Lisa Vegan
May 23, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: almost anyone who enjoys humor, mysteries, sci-fi, fantasy, the English language, and books
I slogged through most of the first fifth or so of this book; I preferred Thursday in her “real” world of the first two books. I was concerned that this third book wouldn’t be as enjoyable as I’d expected it would be. I ended up loving it though, and laughed as much as I did while reading the first two books, and cared as much about Thursday and certain other characters as much as well.

This book was kind of all over the place more than the first two books in the series, but there were so many wo
Oct 07, 2009 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There's something in me that wants to dislike these books, but I just can't. They are both absurd and ridiculously clever, and stuffed full of jokes that only a gramma(rfan) could love. I appreciate that Fforde explodes the formulae of every genre he skewers, refusing to return his characters to the starting block for the next book. I sometimes find everything a little too clever and self-congratulatory, and the quotes that start the chapters irritate me with their look-ma-no-exposition expositi ...more
Sandi
Oct 17, 2008 Sandi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008, fantasy, funny-stuff
I jumped right into "The Well of Lost Plots" after finishing "Lost in a Good Book". I think I'm ready for some other reading for a while.

"The Well of Lost Plots" was a pretty interesting book, and it was fun. But, there wasn't a lot of plot to it and it jumped around a lot. Once again, Thursday's primary problem remains unresolved. I hope it gets taken care of in the next volume.

Oh, and I think I need to read "Great Expectations".
Anna
Sep 10, 2007 Anna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Outlanders with humor
In this third book, Thursday Next goes for a small holiday in a poorly written and unpublished novel in the Well of Lost Plots within the Book World. While there, she ends up joining the Book World police (Jurisfiction) as an apprentice to the Dickens Great Expectations character Mrs Haversham.

As in the previous two novels, this one if full of funny dialogues and meetings with characters from some of the great classics (Dickens, Brontë and Verne are just a few).

The books really revolves around
Cindy
Sep 08, 2007 Cindy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those looking for something different
Just got this one and had to read it right away. I was going to wait, as I still haven't read Lost in a Good Book, but I picked it up just to look through it and I couldn't put it down. I'm not even sure really why I like this series so much. Maybe just because it is so different. Or maybe it's all the Lewis Carroll stuff. But it was really good and I'm anxious to read more in this series.
Angela
Dec 22, 2008 Angela rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Absolutely amazing. I'm convinced that Fforde is one of the most brilliant authors writing fiction today.

The Well of Lost Plots, rather than being more of the same from the world of Thursday Next and Jurisfiction, is something fresh, still original, never boring, and simply... fabulous. I adore this series for so many reasons... not the least of which being that it, much like Harry Potter or Abarat, is too often viewed as a children's book when it (and the others) are really nothing of the sort.
Lanie
Mar 11, 2016 Lanie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
After really enjoying the first two books, this was a little disappointing.

In this book our heroine and her dodo are hiding in 'the book world', there are jokes to be got, adventures to be had, and plots to be foiled. However Fforde's book world entrances me less than his 'real' world. The light hearted playfulness of the first volumes is here transformed into heavy handed satire on the publishing industry and the dangers of e-control over fiction.

Fforde goes into great detail describing the wa
Dan
Feb 18, 2016 Dan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thursday Next leaves her strange version of Swindon behind to take a sort-of maternity leave in the Bookworld. As part of the character exchange program she finds herself in the poorly written book Caversham Heights. But whilst she's in Bookworld she still has duties to attend to, whether that be an Alice in Wonderland trial, helping Miss Havisham run anger management groups in Wuthering Heights or try and work out what's wrong with the new book operating system UltraWorld.

It's an interesting mo
Elderberrywine
Apr 14, 2013 Elderberrywine rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
This series is really becoming more and more delightful. No summary of the plot would make a lick of sense, but suffice it to say, we lost the glorious Miss Havisham this time around; lost in an automobile race with Mr. Toad (who, it must be said, was terribly cut up about it).

But then the chapter was called The Final Bow, and so I have hopes that perhaps it wasn't quite as final?

"There's an east wind coming, Watson."

"I think not, Holmes. It is very warm."

"Good old Watson! You are the one fix
Martine
In the third instalment of the series, real life becomes a bit too dangerous for Thursday, so she goes into hiding in the book world. And not just any part of the book world, but the Well of Lost Plots, where unpublished novels languish. Here, while the pernicious Aornis Hades tries to erase her memories, Thursday continues her training to become a Jurisfiction agent. Which is not as easy as it might sound, for characters are failing to show up for their Rage Control Meetings, murderous Minotaur ...more
Skylar Burris
In this third installment of the Thursday Next literary mystery series, our agent finds herself working for Jurisfiction in the Book World, residing in one of the unpublished novels to be found in the Well of Lost Plots. Fforde creates a clever fantasy world and uses numerous literary puns, which make The Well of Lost Plots worth reading. The story itself, however, is not really gripping, and Thursday's character has never seemed well developed or "real" to me. I keep reading this series because ...more
Stewie's Mom
I loved, love, loved this book. I mean, really loved this book. I didn't remember the first or the second books in this series being quite so witty and funny. I really enjoyed the way Mr. Fforde writes and I think Thursday may well be my new favorite character. I wanted to go back and re-read the first two books in the series to see if I missed something. This book was so funny and I loved the way the chapters began with an absurd news article or an insight of Thursday's thoughts via her journal ...more
Niki Vervaeke
Mijn derde Jasper Fforde en ik moet toegeven dat ik verslaafd geworden ben aan de boekenwereld van Thursday. Het is boekengerelateerd op zoveel manieren dat je het amper kunt volgen, origineel, met de nodige laagjes (er zit ook een hoop politiek in, totaal onverwacht) creatieve taalspelletjes (je moet wel van Engels houden, ik heb geen idee hoe dit vertaald zou kunnen worden) en spanning!
Ideale vakantielectuur

Neil
Oct 27, 2015 Neil rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the 3rd book in the Thursday Next series, and the most confusing so far. The original 2 books were mainly set in the real world with the occasional foray into the Book World. This time around Thursday seeks sanctuary from the Goliath Corporation, by hiding out in an unpublished book held in the Well Of Lost Plots.
Whilst there she is carrying on as Miss Havisham's apprentice, as she endeavours to become a full Jurisfiction agent. As if she didn't have enough problems she must also battl
Gwen
Dec 05, 2012 Gwen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fforde-dipendenza

Un autore semplicemente geniale... a cui chiederei in prestito uno "stanaripetizioni" e team annesso ogni volta che mi trovo a scrivere ;-)
Qui la mia recensione:
Laura Johnson
I really enjoy the premise of this series, but this book (#3) did not hold my attention as did the previous 2 installments of the story. I found it very easy to lay aside this story for long stretches of time while I read other things. That, to me, is not a good sign. I eventually kind of made myself finish it.

I'm not ready to give up on this series yet, however. For one thing, I want to know what happens to the main character -- or, to be more precise, how the major plot elements set up in book
Amanda Milburn
Mar 27, 2015 Amanda Milburn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Books are magic". You said it best, Mr Fforde. Another masterpiece for lovers of literature
Bella
Oct 21, 2008 Bella rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Bookworms
Tis awesome so far. A truly marvelous plotline, with amazing contraptions thrown in. Ingenious.
Victoria
Apr 24, 2016 Victoria rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio-book, 2016-favs
Brilliant! Possibly the best yet! Love this series and it's getting better and better!
Kilian
Jan 15, 2015 Kilian rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the first half rather tedious and thought I'd like this book considerably less than the first two Thursday Next books: the BookWorld is introduced at length and it seems like an endless stream of literary in-jokes. But around the middle it really picks up and turns into a very suspenseful and hilarious thriller. Just the showdown I did not find very convincing, just like that of «Lost in a Good Book»: perhaps the «evil new technology» trope was used a little too bluntly.

Here's a great be
Algernon
Feb 15, 2012 Algernon rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2012
The series is starting to lose its appeal for me. It is still very fun and smart, in fact this third book may be the boldest, most imaginative Thursday Next book so far. But I feel the author gets distracted too easily from the main plot and is more concerned with sidequests and making witty plays on words and dropping names than with character development or pacing.

Made wholly on location within the Well of Lost Plots.
This is both the main attraction and the main problem of the book for me. T
Jeni Enjaian
I absolutely loved this book just like the first two in the series. It was a little harder to get into this one but that's because I had to read the actual book rather than listen to the audiobook. (The version I got from the library was corrupted.) The Thursday Next books do not lend themselves well to skimming. There's just so much that you miss. That's why the audiobook version is so great, at least one of the reasons why.

Once I realized this and slowed down, I enjoyed this reading as much as
Bianca
Aug 02, 2011 Bianca rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-series
Instead of reading this book, I listened to it in the car. I am not sure if this impacted on my liking of the tale, or whether this book just was not as good as past books. I found Thursday to be quite boring in this edition, and Fforde relied on Miss Havisham's character to make the book interesting. I also missed Thursday's family members, especially her father and uncle. This book was not as clever as past tales and I certainly hope the series improves after this minor set back. However, I do ...more
melydia
Sep 05, 2013 melydia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every time I read another Thursday Next book I figure that's the last one I'm going to bother with. Not because they're bad - they're actually rather charming - but because there are so many literary references that I feel I'm not really appreciating them as much as I could be. And I don't want to bother with the prerequisite reading to catch up. Anyway, this is the third book in the series, and Thursday has settled in an unpublished novel for the duration of her pregnancy. At the same time, she ...more
2015 Reading Chal...: The Well of Lost Plots by Jasper Fforde 4 37 Mar 31, 2015 01:21PM
List of Characters 2 15 Sep 08, 2014 02:48PM
safe to read this one first, first one later? 12 60 Jun 20, 2014 03:00PM
  • Nostradamus Ate My Hamster
  • Letters from LA
  • The Unbearable Lightness Of Being In Aberystwyth (Aberystwyth Noir, #3)
  • Rex Libris, Volume I: I, Librarian (Rex Libris, #1-5)
  • Witches Abroad (Discworld, #12; Witches #3)
  • To Say Nothing of the Dog (Oxford Time Travel, #2)
  • Whispers Under Ground (Peter Grant, #3)
  • The Better Mousetrap (J. W. Wells & Co., #5)
  • The Detective (Johannes Cabal, #2)
  • The Bookman's Promise (Cliff Janeway, #3)
  • Rumo & His Miraculous Adventures (Zamonia, #3)
  • The Game (Mary Russell, #7)
  • Conrad's Fate (Chrestomanci, #5)
  • The Pirates! In an Adventure with Communists
Jasper Fforde is a novelist living in Wales. He is the son of John Standish Fforde, the 24th Chief Cashier for the Bank of England, whose signature used to appear on sterling banknotes, and is cousin of Desmond Fforde, married to author Katie Fforde. His early career was spent as a focus puller in the film industry, where he worked on a number of films including Quills, GoldenEye, and Entrapment.

H
More about Jasper Fforde...

Thursday Next (8 books)
  • The Eyre Affair (Thursday Next, #1)
  • Lost in a Good Book (Thursday Next, #2)
  • Something Rotten (Thursday Next, #4)
  • First Among Sequels (Thursday Next, #5)
  • One of Our Thursdays Is Missing (Thursday Next, #6)
  • The Woman Who Died a Lot (Thursday Next, #7)
  • Dark Reading Matter (Thursday Next, #8)

“After all, reading is arguably a far more creative and imaginative process than writing; when the reader creates emotion in their head, or the colors of the sky during the setting sun, or the smell of a warm summer's breeze on their face, they should reserve as much praise for themselves as they do for the writer - perhaps more.” 1863 likes
“Books may look like nothing more than words on a page, but they are actually an infinitely complex imaginotransference technology that translates odd, inky squiggles into pictures inside your head.” 281 likes