Start by marking “The Bastard Prince (Kria, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Bastard Prince (Kria, #3)

The Bastard Prince (Kria #3)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  587 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Reyes O'Bannon lives a fairly quiet life, despite his role as the King's secretary. His days are filled with appointments, paperwork, and avoiding the romantic attentions of Kinnaird, the Duke of Keyes; attentions that become harder to ignore with each passing day...

Then the Kingdom is attacked, and the nature and location of the attacks make it painfully clear there is a
Published by Less Than Three Press LLC (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Bastard Prince, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bastard Prince

Luck in the Shadows by Lynn FlewellingCaptive Prince by C.S. PacatStalking Darkness by Lynn FlewellingTruth in the Dark by Amy LaneLord of the White Hell by Ginn Hale
Best Gay Fantasy Romance
42nd out of 427 books — 761 voters
Truth in the Dark by Amy LaneDuck! by Kim DareCinder by Marie SextonThe Pedlar and the Bandit King by Kirby CrowThe Student Prince by FayJay
Best Gay books based on fairytales
14th out of 136 books — 287 voters

More lists with this book...

Nikyta *Miss Forgetful*
I really enjoyed this one. It was loosely (and I do mean loosely) related to Prisoner and only in the respect that Kria and Salhara are mentioned. But still just getting even that little piece of information made me want to re-read my all time favorite book. I will resist the temptation, though. Maybe.

Reyes and Kinnaird (I really like that name) made an adorable and funny pair. Reyes is all bookish and the King's sole secretary and Kinnaird is the King's falcon and pretty muscular and adventurou
Ami
More like 4.25 stars

Megan Derr's stories will always be dear to me due to the "Dance" tri-fecta (Dance with the Devil, Dance in the Dark, and Midnight) and I could count on her for quick, fluffy, light read. This older release has been on my 'keep for rainy days' virtual box because it came to me well recommended. I admit that I haven't really been satisfied with Derr's stories lately and I was in need for something easy -- so I thought it would be a good time to read it.

Well, I loved it!

I love
Qi
The main story is cute, but the politics (in-story politics, anyway) made me incredibly uncomfortable. The good guys are good, the bad guys are bad, and the solution was really ridiculous. So 2.5 stars.
Diane
I liked this story but didn't love it. The mystery was good and I liked Kinnaird, but Reyes behaved like a classic female love interest; it just didn't feel like an m/m story to me.

Kris
I just reread this and it reminded me of how much I liked this author's approach to fantasy. Great stuff.

***

The Tasting:

Why I bought it: I'm pretty sure that I was in the mood for m/m fantasy at the time.

Dislike/like (ending on a high note):

Dislike~ Not really a dislike, but I guessed early on in the story what the 'big reveal' was. Still, I did like the way it happened. *zipping lips* And that's all I'm gonna say about that...

Like~ For someone who is a huge fantasy fan such as myself, it is alw
L-D
Reyes O'Bannon is the King's unassuming and highly efficient personal secretary. He is very good at his job, so much so that the King removed his staff of secretaries and relies only on Reyes. Kinnaird, the Duke of Keyes, is enamored of the lanky, bespectacled secretary and courts him unabashedly; attentions that become harder to ignore with each passing day...

When the kingdom is attacked on many fronts, Kinnaird and other men loyal to the King are sent to investigate, leaving Reyes home to wor
Vivian ♪(┌・。・)┌
As someone very aptly put this, The Bastard Prince is, a very pleasant book. Not much more, but still very pleasant and enjoyable read.

It is not bad. Oh no, never that. It's just, it lacked a bit of something that would probably have boosted it into a more memorable category.

I liked it. The romance was cute and had me smiling a certain parts of the books and the mystery wasn't all too obvious (well, once you find out it's a bit of a facepalm moment as you think "Why the fuck didn't I think of th
MandyM
Pleasant M/M fantasy from Meghan Derr but the romance lacked that extra spark for me. However one thing that did pique my interest was the world in which it was set. I was fascinated by the concept of "endless night" where the world is dark with killer sub-zero temperatures most of the year. The dark and cold are only held at bay by magic. When I was thinking about what to put in this review I intended to write that I wished the book went more into that aspect of the story but then I read anothe ...more
Ayanna
Kay, awkward phrasing makes it totally sound like (view spoiler)

I'm going to assume he wasn't, due to the total lack of panicking and wtf from people around him.

Took me forever to actually read this. I think I was searching for Dieter and Beraht in the rest of the series, but I never found them because they weren't the point anymore, not after the first one.

The plot wasn't bad. Not-quite-so-red-herring and all.

*shrug
It's M
Dee Wy
Prequel to Derr's highly rated Prisoner in that it introduces us to the world of Kria, this story includes intrigue, betrayal and romance. Though it starts off slowly with world-building and introductions to a host of characters, it picks up about halfway and the ending made it all feel worthwhile. I enjoyed it and am glad to have read this novella before starting Prisoner.
Arthur
I really like this book. It has everything that I like. The surprise ending adds to it. This book has more explicit sex than other books by Ms. Derr, but they are still mild compared to other m/m romance out there.

Mr. Derr has become my favorite author. Interestingly, I actually has never read Prisoner, supposedly the best book she's written, because it's not available in eBook format anywhere (any longer). The sequel, Bound, is.
Victoria Zagar
3.5 stars.

The Bastard Prince is a good fantasy novella with a few flaws that detract from the overall enjoyment. Now, this is listed as a third book in a series, but I read it first to get a taste for the style since it's stand-alone and much shorter than the novels. I like what I see here, with some reservations, and I'll probably read the other books at some point.

I found the core romance very satisfying, with the initially reluctant Reyes coming around to Kinnaird's affection. This part of th
Jenre
Really enjoyed this clever fantasy which had a intriguing mystery plot, a very likable pair of heroes, especially Reyes, and a interesting high fantasy setting mixed with some magic/paranormal elements. Highly recommended and I can't believe I let it sit on my TBR pile for so long!
Deeze
While an enjoyable story with enough mystery and romance to keep me very happy, I was slightly disappointed that this book never really tied in with the previous two. There is a passing comment regarding Kria and Salharan but none of the previous characters are included. This really is more a stand alone than part of a series in my opinion. I was hoping to either meet up with a few old favorites or at least some of their descendents.

That said it is still a very well constructed story. I loved t
Rissa
I loved it!!!!!! I was intrigued with Reyes and Kinnaird when I read Holiday Treats and I just had to get their story and it was lovely!
I totally figured it out a little but was still surprised with Reyes' secret! Ahhhhh so wonderful! I want more! :)
orannia
Oct 29, 2011 orannia rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
I love this book. It just...worked for me on so many levels. The characters were three-dimensional, the plot was interesting (and no, I had no idea who the villains were) and the setting - WOW! Fascinating. I can't wait to read more by this author.
Mercedes
Ingrid
Nov 23, 2011 Ingrid rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: m-m
Great novella. Loved that it sort of takes places in the same world as Prisoner and Bound. Would love to see more :)
K. Zeugin
I read this older edition since I won a paperback copy from a giveaway, so I'll not really quickly that while there are typo issues on occasion, they weren't too big and they may have been fixed in the newer edition.

Anyway, I had been a bit shy about starting the book, if only because I belatedly realized it was the third story in that particular universe. No worries, though, since this is purely stand-alone as far as I could tell.

First off, I really enjoyed the world-building in this particular
Helen
There are a lot of things I loved about this story - great characters, fascinating worldbuilding, some really creative uses of magic, and an unexpectedly tight and coherent plot outside the romance. The author really brought all her plot threads together beautifully, including a last minute nod to the title, and I would love to read more set in this world. Unfortunately it suffers from one glaring problem: women are unceremoniously stuffed in the fridge on a regular basis, and mostly seem to com ...more
Melissa
May 05, 2014 Melissa marked it as did-not-finish
I absolutely loved Prisoner, but because I wasn't sure if I could read the second book immediately afterwards, I decided to read this novella as it's set in the same world. Unfortunately, I'm finding it quite hard to connect to any of the characters, and I don't really care how it all turns out.

DNF at 22%
Mara Ismine
Reyes has risen to the rank of King's Secretary and does his best to lessen the burden of ruling for King Rhoten. Reyes has to deal with everything from treason to palace gossip and the attentions of the Duke of Keyes who won't take no for an answer. Reyes knows that he can't allow a relationship between them, commoners and Dukes aren't a good match, even if the King is in favour of it.

The story builds as intrigues and attacks on cities mount up. A man claiming to be a bastard son of the King sh
Det
Dec 09, 2013 Det rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: 5-stars

The twist was so fun haha! I was smiling and grinning and laughing :D You know those moment of 'oohhh now the title makes sense' HA! totally didn't expect that little twist.

As for the story.. it was cute heh! :) not something you have to contemplate or learn lessons about (you know those kind of books? where it lives impact and you just wanna share the experience and the feels) it's not like those books BUT still it was a good read, with all those love and hehe teasing and the images that forms
M. C.
I wanted to like the book more than I did. The fantasy worldbuilding is good (I especially like that magic was integrated into all levels of this society and was critical to its survival) and the mystery is interesting, though the resolution is a bit too neat and pat for my tastes.

Unfortunately, I couldn't like the romance between Reyes and Kinniard because it pinged a specific peeve of mine. I don't like it when a character kisses/fondles/touches another character after he explicitly says he d
Sue
Mar 10, 2012 Sue rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone looking for a nice fantasy romance.
This book is another I've really enjoyed by Megan Derr.
She is one of my go-to authors for fantasy, fairy tales and feel-good books.
The romance is gently shown, with something of a fade-to-black approach which works well in this genre. I'm very much in a mood for this type of book at the moment, it contrasts well with the other things I'm reading and feels like coming home to a warm fire and a cozy blanket, a cup of hot chocolate on the coffee table beside you.
On to find another of her large ca
J
The (fantasy) world Megan Derr created and the characters were fascinating. Moreover, she delivered a delightful romance and an engrossing, nicely written story. Kinnaird was fantastic - strong, brave, smart, honorable, used to navigating intrigue and protecting king and country... sweet, attentive, devoted, and romantic where Reyes was concerned. It is a wonder that Reyes was able to "resist" or at least try to resist him for as long as he did. I truly enjoyed reading this.
Julesmarie
I love Megan Derr stories. So sweet and lovely and hopeful and her characters always fit together so perfectly well. This was yet another beautiful example.

Reyes is a lovely main character, sweet and self-effacing, hard-working and loyal, and completely in love with Kinnaird. The world was also interesting. Great to see more of the world of Kria, and a fascinating new continent where magic is used in fascinating ways.
Erika
A very easy read. I think the book's highest points were the world the story was set in and the secondary characters (whom I would have loved to get to see more of). The relationship of the leading couple was a bit too bland and sometimes bordering on cliché. The 'twists' were not very surprising either, and I was constantly distracted by typos. It's an okay book, good to keep you occupied for the evening.
Rosa
There's no way this author can disappoint me. Love this saga, everything makes sense to me and that's always a bonus point.
Madhavi
This is a stand-alone story for these characters. I was a bit disappointed by the end. There's no grand adventure or great character developments, and the problem/situation that the characters deal with is quickly and easily resolved at the end. Kind of felt like I wasted my time. Not really sure what the point was.
  • Fairytales Slashed 4
  • That Famous Happy End
  • Stolen Hearts (Stolen Hearts, #1)
  • The Devil's Fire (The Kingdom of Orielle, #1)
  • Azure Seas & Dragon Isles
  • Lord of the White Hell (Lord of the White Hell, #2)
  • Lords of Kellesborne (The Draegan Lords, #2)
  • The Land of Night (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #3)
  • Dragon Slayer
  • By Chance Met (Chronicles of Ylandre, #3)
  • Balancing Karma
  • Goblins, Book One
  • Cinder: A CinderFella Story
  • Gatekeeper
  • The Lodestar of Ys
  • Dream (Aisling, #2)
Megan is a long time resident of m/m fiction, and keeps herself busy reading, writing, and publishing it. She is often accused of fluff and nonsense. When she's not involved in writing, she likes to cook, harass her cats, or watch movies (especially all things James Bond). She loves to hear from readers, and can be found all around the internet.

maderr.com

• Bound (Kria, #2)
  • Devotion
  • Of the Forest
  • The Krian
The Missing Butterfly (Missing Butterfly, #1) The High King's Golden Tongue (Love is Always Write) Dance with the Devil (Dance with the Devil, #1) Dance in the Dark (Dance with the Devil, #2) Prisoner (Kria, #1)