Start by marking “Face the Fire (Three Sisters Island, #3)” as Want to Read:
Face the Fire (Three Sisters Island, #3)

Face the Fire (Three Sisters Island #3)

4.14 of 5 stars 4.14  ·  rating details  ·  24,312 ratings  ·  481 reviews
Mia Devlin knows what it's like to love with your whole heart - and then watch your love walk away. Years ago, she and Sam Logan shared and incredible bond built on passion, legend, and fate. But then one day he fled Three Sisters Island, leaving her lost in memories of the magic they shared - and determined to live without love...

The new owner of the island's only hotel,
Mass Market Paperback, 358 pages
Published 2002 by Piatkus Books

To ask other readers questions about Face the Fire, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Face the Fire

jenjn79
May 30, 2008 jenjn79 rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nora fans
Recommended to jenjn79 by: continuation of a series
While I still liked this book, it was my least favorite of the Three Sisters Island trilogy. I liked the plot as it dealt with resolving the threat to the island and beating the evil. I thought that was done well.

What I didn't particularly like about the book was the romance between Mia and Sam. It didn't quite work for me. Mia keeps her heart locked away from Sam for the whole book (with good reason mostly) then at the end, she's suddenly like, okay, I accept you and your love. The abrupt chang
Mojca
I never thought I'd give it five stars in the end, but there you have it. The entire premise of this book (not the series!) was based on the fact a nineteen-year-old girl knew what love was when she loved Sam Logan eleven years ago. A love so strong, so powerful, she'd shattered when he left. You were nineteen, girl! What did you know?!

Lucky he left, because he did them both a huge favor. She grew stronger as a witch, he became a man who finally knew what he wanted, and they could discover what
Tina
This reunion story didn't work for me. I was too busy rolling my eyes to fully enjoy this corny mess.

The hero dumped the heroine because he felt suffocated by her and doesn't return for 11 years. She, of course spent those years torn apart, struggling to survive without him. The day he returns, she decides she will have sex without the "relationship" with him *rolls eyes* when he tells her he wants her back. Does that sound like what a rational woman will do to the guy who dumped and shattered
valee
I KNEW THIS WOULD BE MY FAVOURITE! I was so sure that something was missing on the previous 2 books but I just couldn't figure out what it was. I still can't but I know after reading book 3 that it definitely has something the others didn't, even though I can't exactly say what, lol. Kinda messed up, anybody got that?

I had been waiting to get to know Sam since he was first mentioned on the previous books. I wasn't sure if he would be the perfect mate for our amazing Mia (which was always my fav.
Rae
Mishma
From the massive amount of books I’ve read by Nora Roberts,I’ve learned something.’If you loved the first book,never expect the sequel or the others in the series to be as good as the first one.’It’s a lesson I learned throughout my experience of Roberts’ works.

I went through the same thing in Face the Fire.I loved the first book,Dance Upon the Air and I enjoyed the second one,Heaven and Earth so initially I had a little hope for Face the Fire.
But of course,it turned out to be a disappointment.E
JC Andrew
Sometimes in a trilogy, the third book seems to lose something. It is almost as if the author is trying to stretch the story too far. Fortunately for the readers, this doesn't happen in this series! Nora Roberts produces a third book about the final important character on the Three Sisters Island. As usual she maintains the storyline while opening up a new tale about another woman that is directly associated with the other two from the previous books in the series.

Face the Fire is about a woman
Sonja
I had high hopes for this final installment of the trilogy. Mia was my favorite character from the first 2 books and I was really looking forward to reading her story, and the exciting conclusion to the series. Not only did Mia get short-changed in the character development aspect in this book, but the big finish I was expecting fizzled to an unimpressive whiz-pop.

Admitedly, part of the reason why I didn't like this book is that I don't like Nora's brooding characters as much as I like her tom-b
Maria

You can see the following review also here: http://loveandlivetoread.wordpress.co...

The last book in this trilogy by Nora Roberts is as good as the first two! The author has a unique talent and describes the Three Sisters Island in a way that I wanted to be there also! This book has it all.. magic, love, friends, forgiveness...

This is the story of Mia and Sam. They were lovers when they were young but when Sam left her she didn’t want to love again. Now, Sam is back and determined to be with her
Mareli
Mia Devlin is a witch and she's a witch I love!

This story is, in my opinion, the best of the trilogy. Mia and her ex, back on the isle with the purpose to being with her again, are a great couple.

The story has a very sweet side and it's really good.

Recommended!
Ashley
Face the Fire was a great conclusion to what has been a highly entertaining series. The story, the setting, the characters... I loved every piece of these books.

Mia is a really intriguing character. I love how Roberts was able to portray her as an infallibly strong and confident character in the first two books, and then realistically show the reader her weaknesses when it came time to tell her story. It made her seem more real, and yet never weak. Plus, the fact that she, a) owns a bookstore,
KarenF
While this wasn't my favorite romance of the trilogy (that would be Zack & Nell's story) I think it was my favorite overall story of the three. As the evil that has haunted the Island is closing in, Mia has to deal with her heartbreak from the past and open herself up to being hurt again in order to defeat it. I loved Sam's courtship of Mia but strictly as a romance I felt she closed herself off to him for too long. But again, as a story her delay made it more emotional when she did accept h ...more
Kristen
In the final installment of the Three Sisters Island trilogy, Face the Fire, from Nora Roberts, she built things up into a shocking conclusion. Mia Devlin knew about loving someone with her whole heart and watch them walk away--that's what happened to her true love, Sam Logan, who did that to her years ago. Now he came back to win her heart as she was now the new owner of the island's hotel. She became cold and bitter toward him, while the chemistry between them was infallible and red-hot. For a ...more
Julie
This isn't my favorite series of Nora Roberts. The first book of the series was the best one and I think it was mainly because I really liked the characters. In this 3rd book it was O.K. I liked Mia but she was a little harder to relate too. I loved her skills as a witch and a crafty business women. Her Cafe bookstore was one of my favorite locations. I was given a writing challenge last week and I had to come up with one sentence to describe my current read. Here is what I came up with: "Witche ...more
Lynda
Three Sisters Island off the Massachusetts coast was a safe haven for witches from a three hundred year-old curse. The window of opportunity to break this curse was closing in and the present day witches were prepared to break this stranglehold. Fiery Mia Devlin owned the local bookstore and Nell Todd managed the café upstairs. Ripley Todd Booke was the local sheriff’s sister and a police officer. All three women were witches and fiercely protective of each other and this protection was evident ...more
Darlene
As usual, this was not a disappointing read. There is just something about witches, old curses, legends that draw you in. You get caught up in the lives of each person, feel as though you are there, as if you know them. Ms. Roberts gives just enough description of things that doesn't bore you or make you feel lost in all the details. All the time while reading this book, knowing how strong willed Mia is, stubborn, wants to make it seem like she can do this on her own, there were times you just w ...more
Shannon (Twilight Sleep)
Like the Gallaghers of Ardmore Irish trilogy, I discovered this series in the Honor section of my local library and decided to borrow them. I love that this series takes on supernatural elements but still manages to come across as very realistic. The characters are dynamic and well-developed but relatable - they are/become supernaturally powerful but are still incredibly vulnerable, just like the rest of us. It's comforting that they remain so human, despite their inhuman abilities.
Casey Martisch
so, if you're anything like me, what comes to mind when you hear Nora Roberts? well, for me anyways, I think of mom/grandma books that are loaded with more sap than a maple tree. man, was I wrong and pleasantly surprised.
I came across these books through a friend who recommended them so highly that the very next day, she gave me them to read. Well, I was skeptical and felt like I HAD to read them to be polite. I'm really glad that I gave them a chance.
i'm in the middle of another series by No
Marika
Not her best, but okay.
As the final book of the trilogy, the plot of this book was entirely inevitable and held tightly the tracks laid out in books one and two. Mia, our heroine, didn't catch my attention sufficiently to keep me from rocketing through this one rather too quickly; I didn't sink into the world the way I'd've liked to.

Still, I think this is one of Roberts's trilogies that I'll come back and reread when I'm in the mood for a nice bit of escapism.
Duncan Mandel

Mia Devlin knows what it's like to love with your whole heart - and then watch your love walk away. Years ago, she and Sam Logan shared an incredible bond built on passion, legend, and fate. But then one day he fled Three Sisters Island, leaving her lost in memories of the magic they shared - and determined to live without love... Sam has now returned to Three Sisters with hopes of winning back Mia's affections. He is puzzled when she greets him with icy indifference - for the chemistry between

Gabrielle
This is the first book in the series that I have read. I normally like Nora Roberts and I honestly should have read the other two first, but I didn't. This book is about a woman named Mia Devlin who fell in love with a man named Sam Logan. They shared an incredible bond that no one could break but one day her leaves her. All alone and lost Mia attempts to make it on her own without love. Years later Sam returns as the owner of the hotel on Three Sisters Island and tries to win back is old flame. ...more
♆ BookAddict ♨ ✒ La Crimson Femme❇ ♐
Sam is puzzled by Mia's icy indifference? Are you serious? Is he a dumb ass insensitive clod? This is the final conclusion to the Three Sisters Island and I found it to be just a sweet as the first two. Ms. Roberts certainly knows how to write romances. She has this perfect formula going for three books, all evenly paced and bring a satisfy conclusion.
Darcy
I found it very easy to not like Sam along with all women. I was stunned when I realized that Sam thought all he would have to do was come back and he would be back with Mia. I loved that Nell and Ripley gave him the cold shoulder too, in support of Mia. The whole big bad showdown was sort of a letdown after 3 books.
Connie
Of the three books in the series, this is my least favorite. First, some time passed between my reading the first two books and this one. References were made to events in the previous books that could've been elaborated on for those of us who didn't remember or never read the earlier books. Second, there were quite a few sex scenes that went on for several pages. I'm not a prude and the scenes didn't offend me. However, I found them boring and feel that they slowed the pace of the story. Lastly ...more
Devika Fernando
I read "Face the Fire" some 10 years ago in German and couldn't lay my hands on the other two books of the series, but liked it so much that I borrowed and bought more of Nora Roberts's wonderful romance novels.
Recently, she came up in a discussion with my author friends, and I decided it was high time to rediscover my love for her writing. I started with this gem and have to say I enjoyed it even more the second time around, this time in English and reading from a writer's perspective.
The prota
Gizella Tóth
Kis csalódás ez a rész. Aki angolul is olvasta, annak itt már elég nyilvánvalóvá válik, hogy három könyv három fordítótól, és a szerkesztő nemigen próbálta összefésülni a részeket. Ettől persze még lehetne nagyon jó. A három kötet közül ez a legboszorkányosabb, mert mint kiderül, nem csupán a harmadik „nővér” boszorkány, de élete nagy szerelmének is nem akármilyen adottságai vannak. És valahogy mégsem tudott úgy megfogni, mint az első kettő rész. Az első izgalmas volt, a második szívreható (neke ...more
Shauna Reitsma
I didn't care for this one as much as the other two, mostly because Mia is not my favourite person ever. She hardly ever seems to acknowledge when she's wrong and when she does it's usually with a caveat, and that annoys me. She also seems to use her superior ability to excuse her snotty behaviour towards her friends at times, which also annoys me. Everyone should have flaws, as everyone in the series does, but Mia's particular flaws push my buttons.

However, overall the story is good and kept me
Anita Fleming
As the last book of the Three Sisters trilogy this is the story of Sam and Mia. They were childhood sweethearts and Sam devastated Mia when he left her and the island. Both of them had dysfunctional families and the only true love they had was the love they had for each other. It scared the hell out of Sam that Mia had it all laid out in her plan for their lives. He ran and planned never to return.

10 years later Sam has matured and come to realize that Mia is all he could ever hope to have as a
Nidah (SleepDreamWrite)
After defeating it at least 2 times, the evil that awaits the three sisters is after Mia, who has more to think about now that her ex boyfriend has returned after many years and he wants her back.

With the return of Sam Logan, Mia has a lot on her mind and both think back to their past and when they were together. This book at times dragged a little but is still a good read.

My favorite out of the three would have to be Nell. I don't know if it's just me but did the ending seem a little rushed? G
  • Memory in Death (In Death, #22)
  • Dangerous Tides (Drake Sisters, #4)
  • Sizzle and Burn (Arcane Society, # 3)
aka
Jill March
J.D. Robb
Sarah Hardesty

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, USA. She was the youngest of five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline. During her
More about Nora Roberts...

Three Sisters Island (3 books)
  • Dance Upon the Air (Three Sisters Island, #1)
  • Heaven and Earth (Three Sisters Island, #2)

“I fear feeling my heart break a second time, because I'm not sure I could survive it. I'd rather live alone than risk the pain.” 241 likes
“A ghra. A amhain. My love. My only.” 107 likes