Start by marking “Missing Max” as Want to Read:
Missing Max

Missing Max

Max vanished into thin air while in the care of his teenage sister, Melanie. Six months later, the family is a shadow of its former self: Melanie blames herself and is acting out and rebellious; Jane is obsessed with finding Max; a
Published June 15th 2010 by Howard Books

To ask other readers questions about Missing Max, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Missing Max

Jun 27, 2010 Jennifer rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
From My Blog...[return][return]Missing Max by Karen Young is a story of heartbreaking loss and a family torn apart by a kidnapping . Melanie wants to attend the Mardi Gras festivities but her father Kyle, a high-powered attorney, decides he needs to work that night. Feeling sorry for her stepdaughter, Jane bundles up 6-month-old Max to take Melanie to view the Mardi Gras parade. While downtown Jane goes off to buy snacks leaving 16-year-old Melanie in charge of Max. Unfortunately for all concern ...more
Ruth
Jun 25, 2010 Ruth rated it liked it
Missing Max: A Novel was a fun easy read with a little suspense. However, I think reading it requires a heavy suspension of disbelief. In other words, I found the basic plot highly unlikely to occur. I always enjoy reading novels set in and around my home in New Orleans, but Missing Max: A Novel could have used a pre-publishing read-through by someone from New Orleans. The precipitating event for the whole book was a kidnapping that took place on Mardi Gras Day. The dad, an attorney, was at his ...more
Deborah Boutwell
May 04, 2010 Deborah Boutwell rated it really liked it
"But after looking at Max's photo, a whisper of fear had sneaked in to remind her of what could happen to Melanie."

Kyle & Jane Madison, Kyle's daughter, Melanie…..all caught in the aftermath of the kidnapping of Max…only 6 months old….why did God allow it?

Kyle was becoming a ghost and Melanie was morphing into a stranger and their home was a shadow of what it once was. Jane must prove to her employers that she hasn't completely put her life on hold and get back to her regular routine in the
Mandy J. Hoffman
MY REVIEW:

There are not many suspense books that can keep me on the edge of my seat without freaking me out. This is one of the few that did just that.

I highly enjoyed the strong plot that twisted and turned just enough to make you keep guessing without becoming lost in a confusing tangle of characters. Both the storyline and the characters are easy to identify with as they deal with problems and emotions that many of us have either faced ourselves or through a friend. The thing I like the most
Kristina
Jun 29, 2010 Kristina rated it really liked it
It's Mardi Gras in New Orleans and anything can happen. Sixteen year-old Melanie was supposed to have a "date" with her dad to go watch the parade, but when her dad decides to work instead, her mom, Jane steps in and takes both Melanie and her six month old brother, Max to the parade. Jane leaves Max with Melanie while she steps off to grab some food and as she is standing in line she receives a phone call. Max is missing.

As one can only imagine, Max's abduction not only shakes the Madison famil
Paul Pessolano
Jan 28, 2011 Paul Pessolano rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes, this is a romance novel. Yes, I did read it. Yes, I did love it.

"Missing Max" fits more in the category of fiction/literature or myster/thriller.

Janed and Kyle Madison are lawyers and have a young son, Max, and daughter, Melanie. Jane, Melanie, Max, and some friends go to Mardi Gras. Melanie is left in charge of Max and when she is distracted Max is kidnapped.

The Madison home is torn apart with each person blaming themselves for Max's diappearance. Melanie takes it the hardest and feels the
Jun 19, 2010 Laura rated it it was amazing
Title: MISSING MAX
Author: Karen Young
Publisher: Howard Books
June 2010
ISBN: 978-1-4165-8749-1
Genre: Inspirational/women’s fiction

Jane didn’t really want to take her sixteen year old step-daughter, Melanie, to the parade, but her husband, Kyle, had to work, so she had to bundle up her six-month-old son, Max, and take him along too. When Melanie got hungry, Jane left Max in Melanie’s care and went to order food. But before she even received her food someone kidnapped Max while Melanie’s attention w
Cafelilybookreviews
Jul 16, 2010 Cafelilybookreviews rated it liked it

Although Jane Madison isn’t a huge fan of Mardi Gras Day, she reluctantly agrees to chauffeur her teenage daughter to the event when her husband Kyle gets stuck at work and can’t keep his promise to take her. Having her best friend Christine with her makes the day a little more bearable, especially since she has extra help with her six month old son, Max.

Tragedy strikes when Jane leaves to go buy some food and Christine attempts to help a woman who faints nearby. Max’s teenage sister, Melanie,
Molly (Cafinated Reads)
Jun 24, 2010 Molly (Cafinated Reads) rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Molly (Cafinated Reads) by: Glass Roads PR
Wow. What can I tell you about this book, other than I loved it? Well, I can tell you that the author is talented, one that really knows how to draw her readers in to the story completely, wrap them up with the messages and mystery and take them on a roller coaster of a ride filled with many,many emotions. I loved the feeling that brought to me.

I must confess,though, that this book really was an emotional one for me. I am a single mom of two boys who are my entire world and to imagine either of
Cindy
Jun 26, 2010 Cindy rated it it was amazing
Jane and Kyle Madison are both successful lawyers. Busy, too busy often. It is Mardi Gras and Kyle promised to take Melanie their sixteen year old daughter, but finds himself tied up at the office, so Jane agrees to take Melanie, even though baby Max is fussy and teething. Her best friend and neighbor Christine joins them. While gone to buy food for the teens, someone snatches Max. A nightmare that most parents pray never happen to them begins.

The kidnapping of Max, stretches the Madison family
Jan Crow
May 02, 2010 Jan Crow rated it it was amazing
MISSING MAX
By Karen Young
PAL Review by Jan Crow

Jane and Kyle Madison are riding high. They have a six-month old son Max, a sixteen year old daughter Melanie. Both Jane and Kyle have successful law careers. Things couldn’t be better on that beautiful sunny day when Jane, Melanie, Max went to Mardi Gras. In a matter of moments their lives quickly spiral downward as Max, is kidnapped. All that is left is a tiny shoe and an empty stroller. The next six months become a nightmare as the family turns
Christy Lockstein
Jun 23, 2010 Christy Lockstein rated it really liked it

Missing Max by Karen Young is the story of every mother's worst nightmare. While watching the parade at Mardi Gras, Jane Madison asked stepdaughter, sixteen-year-old Melanie, to watch Max, her six-month-old son, for just a few moments. The boy disappeared while Mellie was talking to some of her friends. Police eventually find his stroller with only one shoe left behind. Seven months later, the family is falling apart in the wake of Max's disappearance. Jane has been spending all of her time at a
Janet
Sep 04, 2011 Janet rated it liked it
This was my first book by Karen Young. I will admit the book drew me in rather quickly and held me for a long time. There were a few parts that I wonder - does it really happen like that?

But the characters made you love them and care about them and what to know what was next.

This is the story of a family - Jane, Kyle, Melanie and baby Max. Max is kidnapped while Jane, Melanie and some friends are sat Mardi Gras. All feel resposible for Max being gone and they all try to deal with it seperately
Mindy Detweiler
Jun 25, 2010 Mindy Detweiler rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. I cann't imagine having my child kidnapped. What emotions must run through everyone, guilt, anger, resentment, blame. All of these hit this family full force. Baby Max is taken while Jane(the Mom) and Melanie (the teenage daughter) are at Mardi Gras. Much of the story takes place about 6 months later. Jane has thrown herself into the Child Search organization, neglecting her job and her family, Kyle (the father) has thrown himself into his job. Melanie in a desparate at ...more
Peggy
Nov 15, 2014 Peggy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: finised-books
AWESOME A must read for every parnet.
What one family gose through whan a child gose missing none of us truly understand.
This famly gose throgh so much but manges to pull it togher and stay strong is byond anyone but they do and not without there share of pain and heartace eather.
I am so very glad i read this book it was not only great and hardto put down it was well worth reading.

So next time you hear of a child missing stop.say a lil.prayer for the child and there family becuse the family is ha
Jessica
Apr 28, 2011 Jessica rated it liked it
When baby Max is kidnapped during Mardi Gras, Jane and Kyle Madison’s life falls apart. What their daughter, Melanie, does next is unthinkable.Max vanished into thin air while in the care of his teenage sister, Melanie. This book is an inspirational suspense set in modern day New Orleans. It is a wonderful suspense with drama, mystery, and faith. This story is well written with depth and detail. The characters are strong and charming. I would recommend the book to young adults and adults, especi ...more
Peggy
Nov 21, 2010 Peggy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club-2011
I really enjoyed this book. It was quick to read, with few characters. The plot really moved right alone. A baby boy is kidnapped while his sister is watching him (mother has gone to get food) during a Mardi Gras. The entire family feels guilty and at at fault for the loss of their beloved child. The daughter in trying to fix things for the family gets pregnant with the intent to give the child to her parents to make up for the loss of baby Max.

Many months later there comes a break in the kidnap
Rosie Mcclurg
Dec 31, 2015 Rosie Mcclurg rated it it was amazing
I found myself getting angry at her for not understand what her husband and step daughter were going through. She was not the only one and I felt she was neglecting her own family trying to help others. She needed to get her priorities in line. Very good suspense story with a few twist and turns did not want to put the book down I really enjoyed this book and liked that there is always hope and sometimes our motives can get us in trouble like her daughter did.
Leigh Ann
Jun 11, 2016 Leigh Ann rated it it was amazing
This was a new author to me and I LOVED this book. This is about a family devastated by a kidnapping and a mom/dad who will stop at nothing to find this child. But is this somehow related to their professional lives? Will this kidnapping destroy their marriage? Then a 2nd crisis hits. This is a page turner and very enjoyable book.
Lori
Jun 29, 2010 Lori rated it it was ok
I was so disappointed by this book. It had so much potential to be a great story line after reading the first 1/3 of the book. However, it grew predictable and "too good to be true" by the end. I gave after reading about two-thirds of it and just skimmed through the ending to see what happened. Of course, everything that you would expect to happen did...too much of a fairy tale ending.
Michelle Iantorno
Aug 08, 2014 Michelle Iantorno rated it it was ok
It was ok. I didn't like any of the characters. The writer didnt make me care about them. It was a good story, though. But the end kinda jumped the shark for me. I need to change my rank to 2 stars, I think.
Tracy
Oct 29, 2013 Tracy rated it it was amazing
The dialogue in the book was a little too "perfect" for my taste and there were a few editing mistakes but the plot and story were awesome. I had a hard time putting this book down and enjoyed it from the very first page.
Renee
Sep 11, 2010 Renee rated it really liked it
Having been to New Orleans (although not during Mardi Gras) I found it unrealistic that the kidnapper could follow Jane from her house to downtown in and among the parade crowds. But I did enjoy the suspense even though I suspected some of the ending.
Megan
Jul 22, 2010 Megan rated it really liked it
I liked this. It was fast paced, and built steadily to the climax. The ending wrapped everything up. I noticed one typo that can hopefully be fixed if it goes to another printing. But overall, this was a good suspense novel that I would recommend to others!!
Sep 25, 2013 Jennifer rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I haven't found a good book for awhile and having a new baby it's hard to find the time to read but with this book I make time.
Jami
May 31, 2012 Jami rated it liked it
I enjoyed the fast pace of this one. I didn't realize this had a Christian angle, but it wasn't overly prevalent.
Sharon
May 04, 2013 Sharon rated it really liked it
The story kept me intrigued till the very end. The reason I didn't give it five stars is because sometimes the extensive dialogue was somewhat boring and unnecessary.
Jo
May 19, 2013 Jo rated it it was amazing
I really like this book. It kept my attention, was one that I read in very little time, Karen Young is an author that I would like to read more of.
Marcia
Aug 03, 2015 Marcia rated it really liked it
I listen to this book and really enjoyed it! It was a great book to listen to while walking or cleaning!
Carol Donahue
Sep 14, 2011 Carol Donahue rated it really liked it
Brought tears to my eyes in certain parts. As many books half way through the book it became very suspenceful.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Almost Forever (Hanover Falls, #1)
  • Never Wave Goodbye
  • Star Flight
  • Bible Stories for Growing Kids
  • Sworn to Protect (Call of Duty, #2)
  • The Last Christian
  • Wabanaki Blues (The Wabanaki Trilogy,#1)
  • Fatal Convictions
  • Finding Jeena
  • In Every Heartbeat
  • Blood Ties (The Searchers, #2)
  • Never Look Back (Phantom Hollow Series #2)
  • Abduction (A Shefford-Johnson Case, #1)
  • Life in Defiance (Defiance, Texas Trilogy #3)
  • Cruelty To Innocents (The 911 Abductions, #1)
  • Love in Bloom
  • The Pirate Queen
  • Voices of the True Woman Movement: A Call to the Counter-Revolution
Karen Young is the author of thirty-four novels with more than ten million copies in print. Her many awards include the RITA from Romance Writers of America and both the Career Achievement and Reviewer’s Choice awards from Romantic Times magazine. She is a frequent public speaker and a teacher of the craft of writing. Currently, she resides in Houston, Texas.
More about Karen Young...