Start by marking “Dead of Night (includes In Death, #24.5)” as Want to Read:
Dead of Night (includes In Death, #24.5)

Dead of Night (In Death #24.5)

4.09 of 5 stars 4.09  ·  rating details  ·  3,176 ratings  ·  89 reviews
Nora Roberts, writing as J.D. Robb, puts futuristic lieutenant Eve Dallas in a supernatural showdown with a most seductive criminal: a vampire.

An ancient coin whisks an American woman and a modern-day earl into the past-and into each other's arms-in a stirring tale from Mary Blayney.

When a city girl visits a Scottish castle in Ruth Ryan Langan's story, she is thrust in
Published October 30th 2007 by Penguin Group (USA)

To ask other readers questions about Dead of Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead of Night

Kara Jorges
As with most anthologies, this one offers some good novellas sandwiched between others of lesser caliber. Naturally, the JD Robb story, “Eternity in Death,” is excellent, fast-paced, and devoid of any cloying story elements as recurring characters Eve Dallas, husband Roarke, partner Peabody, and the rest of her usual team go after a dangerous con man and killer who preys on foolish young socialites. This story had a very dark feel and would have set the stage nicely for something in a similar ve ...more
Amanda
I, like a lot of people it seems, only picked up this book because of the Eternity in Death story. As a JD Robb "In Death" story goes, I really liked it - it was a bit different from the average In Death story. The vampire theme was fun and added supernatural elements without going past reality into true supernatual territory, which in my opinion doesn't belong in Eve Dallas' world (unlike Haunted in Death which took the supernatural too far).

As an anthology on the whole, Dead of Night did not
Beth (moonivy)
Nov 25, 2007 Beth (moonivy) rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: J.D. Robb fans
Read 11/2/07
Publication Date : 2007
Dead of Night is an anthology of four novellas, of which the reason to read it is J.D. Robb's Eternity in Death. I readily admit that I'm an "In Death"
junkie - any book that includes Roarke is an immediate buy for me. That aside, the last few In Death books have been vaguely disappointing. I'm
rather cheered by this novella, it's snappy and the dialogue is brightly written, with Eve and Roarke *sounding* true to themselves. Despite being
about a vampire kill
Jennifer Wardrip
I always buy these yearly anthologies simply for the new Eve Dallas/Roarke novella by J.D. Robb. She doesn't disappoint with ETERNITY IN DEATH, which centers around an evil psychopath who truly believes himself to be a vampire.

Mary Blayney's story, AMY AND THE EARL'S AMAZING ADVENTURE, actually didn't make much sense to me, and I didn't finish it.

Ruth Ryan Langan writes a really good Scottish time travel story with TIMELESS. Although I don't really like historicals, I enjoyed this short story.

ON
Vanessa
Jun 12, 2010 Vanessa marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wishlist, j-d-robb, keep
This is a book with 4 Novellas. I've already read the J.D. Robb stories but not some of the others. The one included in this book is Eternity in Death. Eve is investigating a murder in which it appears that the victim was done in by a vampire. The case does lead Eve and her team to some interesting places and people. Roarke's a little in to the woo-woo (well, you can't be too careful, can you?), and that makes for some interesting moments as well, especially since Eve can't believe him and Peabo ...more
Dharia Scarab
Haven't read the J.D. Robb story yet because I'm not that far in the series.

The stories by Mary Blayney and Ruth Ryan Langan were good.

Didn't care for the story by Mary Kay McComas in this book though.

2 stars... This book was not very good,
Cherisse
Stephanie Tuell
Mar 25, 2008 Stephanie Tuell rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: j.d. robb fans. sci-fi romance fans.
i only got this book for the story by j.d. robb, but i read the rest.
ETERNITY IN DEATH
this was kind of a switch from the normqal j.d. robb books. in this one, she has to battle a 'vampire'. eve drags peabody, roarke, and her other cop friends deep underground to capture a murderer.

AMY AND THE EARLS AMAZING ADVENTURE
this story wasn't so bad. amy finds herself wisks away with a handsome guy to find out some secrets about his family.

TIMELESS
i wasn't crazy about this story at all. lorel is sent to t
Roberta
Antologia di racconti, di cui io ho letto i primi tre. "Eternity in death" è quello della Robb. Le dimensioni ridotte dei racconti della Roberts ultimamente mi stanno un po' strette; preferisco di gran lunga godermi la lunghezza di un suo libro "standard".

...quando J.D.Robb entra nei territori del sovrannaturale... o almeno fa finta di farlo... Il Bloodbath mi ha ricordato un po' il Circo dei Dannati di hamiltoniana memoria, ma alla fine qui tutto viene - più o meno - ricondotto ad una spiegazio

Meaghan
eternity in death was a good addition to the in death series but the other swtories were slightly tedious and predictable. short stories are at a disadvantage to regular novels because of their length anyways, therefor the inability to develop characters etc.
Melissa
Avoid 2nd story - or read last as it's a bit of a jolt to go from great In Death novella to that one. Liked overall!
Merin
I was interested in this book because I like J. D. Robb. That must have been what they were counting on, because the other three stories were not really of a similar theme. I guess they were hoping that the vaguely supernatural aspects of the mystery would make the anthology work, but it just didn't for me. I did enjoy the story about the coin, but the other two just weren't my style. I found the story about the rug very hard to follow - I found myself rereading pages over and over again, and I ...more
Jeeperz96
I am only rating the JD Robb novella. I actually liked this story as one of Robb's best.
I began reading the other stories but couldn't get past the first couple of pages of each. The story by Mary Blayney was written so badly I almost didn't even try the others. I thought "Timeless" by Ruth Langan had some potential until the heroine's clothes were thought to be barbaric and no one noticesd the zippers and buttons, much less the modern shoes. By page 8 of "On the Fringe" I didn't like any of th
Mandy Beyers
I loved the JD Robb story - I am such an Eve and Roarke fan that even the short stories rock. In this one, the killer makes like a vampire (view spoiler) I also enjoyed the other stories in the anthology - two time trav ...more
Ruth Violet
i really loved the first 3 stories. those were really enjoyable. first one was eternity in death-J.D. robb. first story i read from her. it was awesome. the second was: amy and the earl's amazing adventure-mary blayney. awesome read. first novel i have read from her also. and third one was: timeless-ruth ryan langan. scottish highlander prince. so very yummy. i want one!!! awesome story. first story i have read from her too. but i will definitely look more up. from those writers. the last story: ...more
Anna Mcfadden
These 4 stories takes u on a journey of vampire's, and time travel . Must read if u into the paranormal
McKenzy Martin
I really liked this book a lot. My favorite story is Timeless. I've read it over and over and over. I love the relationship between Con and Lorel!

I can't decide what my second and third favorite would be because it's a VERY close tie between On the Fringe and Amy and the Earls Amazing Adventure. Both are great stories. Very romantic.

As for my least favorite, I've heard wonderful things about J.D. Robb (Nora Roberts), but I actually wasn't all that crazy about Eternity in Death. I mean, it was go
The Listmaker
In one word: Disappointing.

I got this book because of the In Death short story by Nora Roberts writing as JD Robb; and even that was not Ms. Roberts' best work.

From what I read of the rest of the stories they seemed to be written for and by tweens. It was if I was reading the results of an assignment in Romance Writing Lite. And perhaps most disappointing, it even seemed as if Nora was affected and wrote a sugary sweet story that, pardon the pun, had no bite.

I was so disappointed in this book th
Goge (BARRONS) le Moning Maniac,
My flying rug? On the Fringe
Carmel
Only read the JD Robb book. Enjoyed the vampire theme.
Isis
I was sick and out of reading material and I found this on my shelf, no doubt left by my mother after a visit. The cover suggests horror and mystery; what's within are entertaining but shallow time-travel romances, and as I am not really a romance fan (but I do love time travel) they didn't do much for me. Robb's story was the most technically proficient; the third story, about a woman who time-travels back to auld Scotland, the most enjoyable.
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
I actually only read the first two stories in this book. I borrowed it from the library for the JD Robb story but then started reading the 2nd one and it was pretty good, so I finished it. The other two stories didn't appeal to me, but that is ok!

the JD Robb story was as expected, good but it seemed strange because it was shorter. Still a good read plus it gets me in the mindset for Strangers in Death which is released tomorrow 2/19.
Circle15
Just finished reading this book, and as usual, I love her writing. The contrast between Eve and Peabody is always believeable and well developed. Her characters are always 3 dimensional. I love her books. This was a short story, and although a very quick read, I enjoyed it. Peabody's superstitions contrasted perfectly with Eve's pragmatism. J.D. Robb books are always fun.
Joanne
J. D. Robb (a.k.a., Nora Roberts) write this FREAKIN' AWESOME (phrase borrowed from my 17-year-old granddaughter) series! There are OVER 30 BOOKS in the series including several short stories in anthologies. My local library owns most of them (more than 1/2 of which I donated so that others could enjoy this series). Looking for a summer challenge? Read this series. You won't regret it.
Carolyn F.
There are 4 stories in this anthology - Robb's story was terrible - she was having a 2060 female cop talking like a 1930's private detective. She even called her husband "ace". Then she had phrases like "Muder kills more than the victim." "As of now, he's on a no-hemoglobin diet." Yuck! That story was a 1. The other 3 stories were 3. Not great but good.
Jenn
Meh. I only read the first two stories, Eternity in Death and Amy and the Earl's Amazing Adventure. EiD was alright. There wasn't a lot to it, but it was filled with stupid people. A&tEAA was just awful. After finishing it, I decided not to read the rest 'cause I've not heard of any of the other authors and I really just don't care to read them.
Midnight Blue
If we could do half stars I would actually give this one 3 1/2; I like the first story and absolutely loved the last one but the two in the middle were pretty mediocre. Even when I'm reading paranormal romance I want to feel like some research went into it; the story set in Scotland didn't feel very authentic and used a lot of overdone themes and phrases.
Patricia Solla
I know that this was an anthology so the stories are short and to the point but I wish that J D Robb had developed this storyline into a real book. I just love reading about Eve Dallas and her murders (as well as Roarke and the background storyline). The other stories in the anthology were good and each quite different.
Anne Mikusinsi
Usually with anthologies like this, the stories are hit or miss. I have to say, honestly, I enjoyed reading all of them. The JD Robb story, especially, makes me want to start reading the whole "In Death" series. I will do that, of course, when I finish the other 5 series I'm currently in the middle of..:P
Janet R
Eternity in Death was on par with the other In Death books and I really enjoyed it.

Can't remember the names exactly, but Amy & The Earle's adventure was terrible, the second story about Laurel time traveling to the past was good, and the third about Bonnie and the carpet ride was ok.
  • Once Upon a Castle
  • Moon Fever (Includes: Primes, #6.5)
  • A Fare to Remember: Just Whistle + Driven to Distraction + Taken for a Ride
  • Naked Came the Phoenix
  • Dating the Rebel Tycoon (The Kellys of Brisbane, #1)
  • Fantasy (Includes: Leopard People, #1; Midnight, #0.5)
  • Rock My World (Harlequin Blaze #215)
  • Big Guns Out of Uniform
  • Once Bitten Twice Dead (Guardians of the Dark, #2)
aka:
Sarah Hardesty
Jill March
Nora Roberts

Eleanor Marie Robertson was born on October 10, 1950 in Silver Spring, Maryland, U.S.A. She was the youngest of the five children, also the only girl, of a marriage with Irish ancestors. Her family were avid readers, so books were always important in her life. She attended a Catholic school and credits the nuns with instilling in her a sense of discipline.
More about J.D. Robb...
Naked in Death (In Death, #1) Glory in Death (In Death, #2) Immortal in Death (In Death, #3) Portrait in Death (In Death, #16) Rapture in Death (In Death, #4)