Start by marking “Going Rogue: An American Life” as Want to Read:
Going Rogue: An American Life

Going Rogue: An American Life

3.28  ·  Rating Details  ·  10,064 Ratings  ·  1,211 Reviews
Going Rogue is the #1 New York Times bestselling memoir from Sarah Palin, one of America’s most beloved and controversial political figures. Now with new material, Going Rogue offers plain talk from a true American original about her life, her career, and the future of the country she loves.
Published August 24th 2010 by Broadside Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Going Rogue, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Going Rogue

Esteban del Mal
Apr 23, 2010 Esteban del Mal rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who want to commit suicide but not all at once
Recommended to Esteban by: the same angel who read it to me in my dreams
Raised as an incubator for a satanic cult in the Ozarks, Reverend Sarah Homilee is mother to dozens of children -- all the unfortunate victims of ritual killing. Her life would change one day when she won a scholarship to Oral Roberts University as the result of a raffle drawing from a traveling faith-healer. Although the faith-healer was subsequently cannibalized by the cult, Reverend Homilee was intrigued by the scholarship because she, "...thought there were a bunch of guys named Robert who w ...more
John J.
Nov 16, 2009 John J. marked it as shouldnt-read-but-must-review  ·  review of another edition
This book compels me to paraphrase Frank Zappa: An unacknowledged writer who can't write, ghostwriting the thoughts of someone who can't think, to create a book for people who can't read.
Erin
Mar 30, 2011 Erin rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this because I am not a Palin fan and I figured that this is what this woman wants me to know about her, I tried to enlighten myself. This is what I learned...

1. This book needed an editor! It reads like a junior high school girl's journal, totally stream of consciousness.

2. She has zero self awareness and does not take responsibility for her actions.

3. This woman can hold a grudge and loves to take cheap shots at anyone who disagrees with her.

4. The most disturbing is how she chose to te
jess
Apr 02, 2010 jess rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook-d, 2010, ladyish
This is no April's Fools joke - I really read/listened to this book, via audiobook, over the past week or so. I wish I could give this book zero stars. I guess it can have one star for entertainment value, because it is read by the author and I have a deeply masochistic streak. My recommendation is to read this as work of fiction. As a work of fiction, you can meander through the convoluted delusional ramblings of a person so disassociated with reality that it is often disorienting to the reader ...more
Lilo
Jan 19, 2016 Lilo rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
I tossed the book after reading the first chapter and viewing the photographs. Sarah Palin's flaunted piety made me gag. Anybody can be as religious or unreligious as he/she wants to, but I despise it if somebody serves religion on the platter for political purposes.

This review was originally written on April 2, 2014. And now we are here on January 19, 2016, and I have just seen Sarah Palin on TV, endorsing Donald Trump.

Excuse me, I still feel a bit nauseated. I need to take an antacid.

I thought
Heather
Having read the Christian Bible in its entirety at least a dozen times, I know this one thing to be true: If you turn to it with a point to prove -- from perfunctory piety to heinous society -- you can do it. You can take a chapter or a verse out of context and present it as backup for any theory you can concoct. Ask Martin Luther, or the Ku Klux Klan. Entering books with an agenda is a precarious business indeed; so when I picked up Going Rogue I promised I would silence the part of me that con ...more
Joshua Nomen-Mutatio
Dec 23, 2009 Joshua Nomen-Mutatio marked it as too-insane-for-reading  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: recycling into insulation for the homes of poverty-stricken Alaskans
Recommended to Joshua Nomen-Mutatio by: "America"
A couple weeks ago I was drunk and goofing around with some friends and using the term "Going rogue" a lot in different ways. One of my favorites was like a profane exclamation along the lines of "Oh, shit!" or "Goddammit!" Say I spill my drink amongst informal company, you may just hear a "Going rogue!" escape from my throat.

This is the best thing that will ever come out of Sarah Palin's entire existence.
Marie
Screw the haters - I am excited for this book, of which I proudly pre-ordered in early October.

EDIT - Yay, I got it today! It's pretty good so far.

EDIT 2 - I finished the book last night. It was very good, and well-researched. The last chapter is especially good, as she outlines her position on the issues and how we should go about dealing with them. It is very inspiring and I was so sad when it was finished, but very, very glad I had read it.
Pinky
Nov 12, 2009 Pinky rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Other rogues
Recommended to Pinky by: I make my own damn decisions
Oh my holy sheesh what a goldurn great book. She opens way up, I had no idea. The affair with Levi--sometimes messin' about while Todd was lying stonefaced drunk on the side of the bed--came out of nowhere. (No wonder they're catting after each other in the press now--MEEEE yow!)

Full of revelations. And more importantly heart. And words. And some home truths. But most importantly heart.
Kathrynn
2-16-16 Update: Having now heard Sarah Palin speak on many occasions. Listened to some of the nonsense/gibberish that speils out of her mouth, I now consider her to be a flake and would not rely on her giving me the correct time of day. Don't waste your time on this book!

7 CD's/8 hours/read by Sarah Palin.

Nothing like hearing the facts straight from the "horses mouth" and this book set the record straight as well as clearing up a lot of strange things that happened during the 2008 presidential
Moses Operandi
Jan 06, 2010 Moses Operandi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: readandenjoyed
I got an autographed copy of Going Rogue for Christmas. Truth be told, I wasn't expecting to enjoy it very much, and the first few paragraphs confirmed that. Where Palin's limited vocabulary fails her, she makes up her own words which skirt the bounds of credibility.

HOWEVER.

I read more, and more, and more. And as I quickly progressed through the book, I realized that I was enjoying it very much. Palin's matter-of-fact narrative style and folksy touches were rather a breath of fresh air. Her sto
Kathleen
Dec 01, 2009 Kathleen rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
The consistant theme of this book was "I knew better but 'they' would not let me do what needed to be done then 'they' attacked me." Facts seem to be very foreign to her. (My favorite tidbit was she said the government FORCED financial institutions into making mortage loans to people who could not afford them.) I think she did a disservice to the McCann campaign staff by failing to understand what they were trying to do for her and what was expected of her. And if I was Katie Couric, I would com ...more
JoAnn
Sep 24, 2010 JoAnn rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
A sophmoric attempt to explain away why things did not work out.

There are lots of passages that try to explain away things that need no further explanation. One that stands out is the disappointment she experienced when she was not allowed to make a part of the concession speech!

This book cannot be No. 1 in this country! It is way too lacking in substance! I only know one other person who has read it! Something is NOT right here! Someone bought many advanced copies!

There is nothing in this book
Leftbanker
A Few Feet Below Rock Bottom

If this title were a Jeopardy line the correct answer would be, "Where is America's conservative movement?" Sarah Palin’s book is probably a best seller already. Once again the street party that is America has turned the mic over to a moron. Is this really the best America can do? Every time we give people like Palin a voice in our society we are diminishing the voice of someone else and that someone else has got to have something better to say than this public figure
Janelle
Oct 05, 2010 Janelle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2010
I'll start off by saying I'm not giving this five stars because I happen to have voted her ticket in 2008. I'm not giving it five stars because I'm trying to make her ratings look better. I'm giving it five stars because it spells out everything the mostly biased media chose to ignore or mislead people on. I can't say Sarah Palin was one of my favorite people once I started reading it. I admit I started to get sick of seeing her on TV, felt disappointed in how things went with the election. I fe ...more
Jacob
Mar 21, 2015 Jacob marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jacob by: Michael Springer
5/31/2010: My Goodreads friend Michael pointed out that I had 665 books on my shelves and suggested I read something special for #666. Something like...this. My library recently got a copy, and I was kinda, slightly, sorta, maaaaaaybe thinking of reading it anyway, but I think this is a sign.

8/21/2010: Michael keeps reminding me that adding the book to my "To Read" list isn't enough. Apparently, I have to read it. What? Since when?

8/23/2010: Read, baby, read!

9/14/2010: I stopped reading at this
Camilla
Jan 10, 2010 Camilla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm sure we all wouldn't be surprised if conservatives give this book a 5 and liberals a 1. Having said that, I contend I am conservative through and through. So it might not be a surprise that I gave the book 4 stars. Before you just suppose it is because of my political leanings, let me explain:

I had no idea who Sarah Palin was when she gave her speech at the GOP convention. I was impressed and was intrigued by her. She seemed a lot like me: mom of many and pretty down to earth. I also liked w
Jenn
Jan 14, 2010 Jenn rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My name is Jenn and I have an addiction to celebrity gossip. I've got a long way to wait for this book to come in so I'm not too embarrassed yet. I absolutely loath this woman but the tabloid lover in me really wants to know what makes this dumb broad tick. And most importantly, if she can't even deliver a coherent speech, how in the world did she "write" a 432 page book? (The librarian in me knows she had a ghost writer, duh!) The big question is, does she narrate her own audio? And how long di ...more
Tamra
Dec 30, 2009 Tamra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Sarah Palin lovers
Shelves: couldn-t-finish
Let me start by putting this out there: I think Sarah Palin is cute. I don't want her running our country (much as I don't want myself running the country), but she's cute. And fascinating! How this woman ever got a national spotlight, ... just amazing.

Good. On to the book.

I read 90 pages before I realized that of all the books I have on my To Read list, I care about this one very little. So my rating and comments apply to the first 90 pages only.

It was interesting to read it and think of the pe
R.
Nov 30, 2009 R. marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I've dipped into...from time to time...Going Rogue. I've gone rogue. The description of the Alaska State Fair is mouthwatering. And then...out of the robin's egg blue of the sky comes the call to action. To destiny. Yes. To destiny. And who denies destiny? We all know the rest. Or do we? No. That's why the book. That's why the book. Oh, and your people: they know. I mean, wolverines on page 10? They know.

But...do they?

Where were your Red Ink Warriors when titles were being scribbled onto notec
Paula  Obermeier McCarty
This was a fascinating look at a strong lady who has endured a tremendous amount of undeserved bashing from the media. While I disagree with many of her political ideas (I am a feminist who supported Hillary Clinton), I am disappointed that this country's feminists did not stand up and defend her and her daughters against some very vicous sexist attacks. Her personal stories were engaging and sometimes surprising. It was an enjoyable read and I believe it gave me some perspective on a strong and ...more
Books Ring Mah Bell
"If God had not intended for us to eat animals, how come He made them out of meat?"

That's all I need to know about this book.
Mike
I think I will be giving this one 3 Stars as I enjoyed it more than I thought I would. I wanted to learn more about this woman, why she is so hated, scorned, despised to such an amazing intensity by the progressives and the left. Even now, years after the campaign, the vitriol, the sheer malevolence directed at her is astonishing. She can tweet or post a comment and the MSM will just go crazy, she’s like catnip to those folks.

I can see why McCain picked her. She was pretty much a maverick like h
Lee Ann
Nov 24, 2009 Lee Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, biography
It irritates me to see scathing reviews from folks who have not bothered to read the book, like the astute intellect who claimed to "throw up" while marking it as "to read," as if it were Mein Kampf or something. I really enjoyed this book. I'm not really sure what I expected; I'm not a big reader of politicos, or even nonfiction for that matter. It was an easy and enjoyable and sometimes fascinating read though, and I am glad I gave it the benefit of the doubt. I found this book to be self-serv ...more
Teela
Dec 05, 2009 Teela rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
MJ
Jan 28, 2010 MJ rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am not a Palin fan, but wanted to read this book to find out what Palin wants everyone to know about herself, especially since I've had a hard time actually believing all the negative press about her. I also wanted to learn a bit about what went on inside the McCain campaign and why he thought she was VP and (potentially) Presidential material.

First, I'm glad I got it at the library and did not waste my money. The book has some worthwhile moments, but is mostly a collection of anecdotes that
Rick
Nov 27, 2009 Rick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was drawn to Sarah Palin’s GOING ROGUE: AN AMERICAN LIFE because I was interested in finding out the true story behind the apparent buffoon the media loved to hate during the 2008 presidential campaign.

Admittedly, I have never hitherto read a political autobiography, so I have nothing to compare it to, but I found the book both interesting and illuminating.

The first part of the book describes her personal life and antecedents. We see her as a high school athlete, and we see her working on a co
Anne  (Booklady) Molinarolo
I don't understand why so many people hate this woman. I admit that I like her - even more now that I've read this memoir. I learned things I never knew about Palin: how she got scholarship money to go to school, how she suffered a miscarriage, how she eloped, how she entered public service, how she believes so strongly in the "what" she believes.

And she's a smart cookie, too. Her plain-speak may come across as dumb or simple. She's neither. But she wasn't ready to catapulted upon the National s
Elizabeth
Jan 07, 2010 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first time buying a hardcover book on the day it was released! So far so good. I'm a big Sarah fan.
Damon Suede
Feb 21, 2011 Damon Suede rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
If you have purchased this book, and not been handed a FREE promotional copy at a rally, then I imagine you're drunk the Koolaid on this one.

Governor Palin makes much of what is essentially a smoke-n-mirrors political career and explains away incidents that will be forgotten in 10 years time. The enshrined ego and blindess make for a toxic cocktail.

For my part I find Palin fascinating, because of her relentless aggression and strange affect: every page of this book is as empty of context or cl
voice 2 52 Aug 30, 2012 12:15PM
  • Dirty Sexy Politics
  • When You Ride Alone You Ride With Bin Laden: What the Government Should Be Telling Us to Help Fight the War on Terrorism
  • I'd Rather We Got Casinos: And Other Black Thoughts
  • Guilty: Liberal "Victims" and Their Assault on America
  • Culture of Corruption: Obama and His Team of Tax Cheats, Crooks, and Cronies
  • Glenn Beck's Common Sense: The Case Against an Out-of-Control Government, Inspired by Thomas Paine
  • Plan of Attack
  • Let Freedom Ring: Winning the War of Liberty over Liberalism
  • Not Afraid of Life: My Journey So Far
  • Courage and Consequence: My Life as a Conservative in the Fight
  • Liberty and Tyranny: A Conservative Manifesto
  • A Bold Fresh Piece of Humanity
  • The Way Things Ought to Be
2040815
Governor of Alaska from 2006 until her resignation in 2009 and the Republican Party's vice-presidential nominee for the 2008 United States presidential election.

More about Sarah Palin...