Start by marking “No One to Trust” as Want to Read:
No One to Trust

No One to Trust

4.08  ·  Rating Details  ·  8,910 Ratings  ·  153 Reviews
The #1 New York Times bestselling author of Final Target, Iris Johansen raises the stakes and the heart rate with this relentless new thriller that follows the harrowing trail of a ruthless killer on the hunt—and the woman who is determined to hunt him down.

He is the most terrifying of killers: ruthless, cunning, charismatic. And he has the means to get whatever he wants.
Published August 26th 2003 by Bantam (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about No One to Trust, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No One to Trust

Rashika (is tired)
Actual Rating 3.5

No One to Trust was surprisingly good. I was a little worried about giving Johansen a second chance after having most of my alarms set off when I read the The Killing Game. This book, while set in the same universe, was so much better in so many ways.

For starters the female lead was incredibly likable in a way Eve perhaps wasn’t. The way Elena grew up hardened her. She was not a female lead to pity but one to admire. I was fascinated by how strong she was. She was kick ass in
Chester Carstairs
Apr 28, 2012 Chester Carstairs rated it it was amazing
This is my second Iris Johansen book and my rating may be a little biased because I liked Galen since the first time I've read about him in Johansen's The Final Target. It's nice to actually get his POV and get an in-depth look at his character. The plot and pace of the story is good. It has suspense, action, and romance. I couldn't quite put it down. It's a light but entertaining read. :)
Samantha
Aug 05, 2007 Samantha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Formulaic Fiction
This book was one I had gotten from a collection of "Free to a Good Home" books. Now I know why this one, in particular, was given away. It's absolutely awful.

I knew how the book would end halfway through. The heroine and her dashing hero (ick!) are so predictable and cookie cutter it's dreadful. What was supposed to be suspenseful was nothing more than yawn-inducing drivel.

I took this book with me on a business trip and only picked it up each night because I didn't have anything else to fall ba
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
Elena was a kick ass female and with Galen even better. Nothing came easy to her but she did everything she could to protect what was hers and really enjoyed her happy ending too.
Jennavier
Feb 10, 2015 Jennavier rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
DNF at 85%. Holy crap did this book go south in a hurry. The violence was gratuitous and ridiculous. The suspense was emotionally manipulative and I saw it all coming from a mile away. Seriously, how did I once enjoy anything written by this author? There were moments when I started to enjoy it but I'm so mad now that I can't remember why. I am officially done with this series and this author.
Deirdre
Aug 24, 2007 Deirdre rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: someone who is bored
this is a great book if you are bored or traveling or in jail.
Melissa
Feb 12, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Iris Johansen was brought to my attention by my aunt and while this has been the only book I've read by her, I have to say, it was pretty good. Her characters are all solid and well fleshed-out. Elena is one tough chick and I found her interactions with the various characters, particularly with her son, very real and well-written. She obviously has some tough past issues to get through and the way the story was written was done really well, in that I believed this could actually happen in real-l ...more
Kristen
This spinoff from the earlier Eve Duncan series highlighted a new tale of danger and intrigue. Elena Kyler's life was in danger from an abusive man who was her child's father. Although Elena's a trained assassin, she required Sean Galen's help in the midst of desperation to escape from him. She didn't want her child to live in his father's dangerous world. Together Sean and Elena with her child flee from his clutches, while they watch him self-destruct with murder in their waking path. Her form ...more
Krowe
Mar 18, 2014 Krowe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Vanessa
Feb 05, 2016 Vanessa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I loved other books by this author, but after taking a few days to read just over a 100 pages (and that's with pushing myself,) I've finally given up. It's probably just my tastes here, but I don't care for drug lords and their quest for money. Also, betrayal is ok in small doses, or as part of a larger more intricate plot. That was not the case here.
Andreea
Mar 03, 2015 Andreea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Iris Johansen book done...I have to admit is quite the pleasure reading her books, they have a certain "flow" from where the action starts, because it is action, adventure, with a twist of romance, to where it all ends...happily for the heroes.

There is always a damsel in distress, well in this particular one book, not quite a damsel, but still a lady in need of help, and there is always the hero, in this case a very controversial "handy man"...and let's not forget the bad guy, in this ca
Deb
Dec 10, 2015 Deb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was my "airplane book" when I flew to SD last week. I just finally got around to finishing it. This is a very forgettable book. Very poor character development, terrible story development...hard to even call it fluff.
Joan
Jan 12, 2015 Joan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Chavez has brutalized Elena. When she finally escapes, he finds out she has a boy, Barry. He is a drug lord and determined to get his son because he has no sons. Galen is hired to help get Elena and her son out of South America. The Americans want Chavez because of his brutality and the drugs he ships to the U.S. They are using Elena to bring Chavez to the U.S. When he gets here the cat and mouse game begins. Galen and Elena are betrayed by a man they trust who uses Barry to get money from Chave ...more
Kaycee Sapinoso
No One To Trust was an okay read. The heroine, Elena, was likable and fascinating. She's a kick ass heroine. And I like that even though she's a fighter and strong woman she wasn't afraid to ask for help whenever she needed it.

I liked Sean. He was a very interesting character. I admired him for respecting Elena as a woman and as a mother. It was not surprising for me by how easily he developed feelings for her. And I loved him for wanting to take care of her. Such a sweet see guy.

The thing tha
Charly
Jun 11, 2009 Charly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Good thriller that has one engrossed from the start until the finish. While one has an idea where it will end the path taken to get there is most entertaining.
Dawn Dorsey
Apr 29, 2016 Dawn Dorsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Take 3professional assassins. (Or more as needed), one psychopathic Columbian drug lord, one five-year-old boy, and a loving, guilt-ridden priest, and mix well with a corrupt guerrilla militia. What you get is a fast–moving tale of staying one step ahead of the bad guy--ok, he's one step worse than the assassins, but after all, they are trying to protect the innocent child and his mother, who is one of the assassins involved. I did say it is fast-moving, and you have to keep up. You'll just have ...more
Tony
Jun 12, 2009 Tony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Iris Johansen- No One To Trust (Bantam Books 2002) 3.5 Stars

Elena Kyler wishes only to protect her son and Sean Galen has been hired to assist her. Rico Chavez wants his son, the son that he never knew existed, but more than that he wants Elena Kyler. She had escaped his grasp once. Can she escape his grasp forever?
Iris Johansen is a talented female author with a knack for writing thrillers. She created believable characters that you couldn’t help but like, although I would have liked to see a
Cathy Smith
Jun 04, 2014 Cathy Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads. This was an interesting book, but predictible. I was hoping for some surprises, etc., but you could tell what was going to be happening next. I would rather have the element of difference within a story. It was well-written and had a good plot. But to keep dwelling on certain areas (how they felt about each other, how no one cared for her son but herself) seemed repetitive. Overall, it was a good read.
Carolyn F.
What a stinker! I disliked this audiobook from beginning to end and it wasn't just the book. The narration was pretty bad too. I know it would be hard to go from American, to South American, to Irish accents - both male and female - but I feel I could have done about the same job with no actual experience. The romance was unbelievable and "who cares". And the way the author wrote a couple of the characters - as sort of sympathetic psychos - just turned me off completely. Blah!
Josette
I read this book because I had just finished another one and needed something short and fun to read. I guess it fulfilled my needs at the time, but I did not especially enjoy the book, with its brutal portrayal of human nature and the desire for power and money mixed with familial betrayal. The story begins with the main character (whose name I can't remember) who is on the run from the father of her 4-year-old son. The father, who also runs his own Latin American country, is the villain through ...more
Diane
Jun 29, 2014 Diane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
kerry is a mercanary rebel and is fighting chavez, the 3rd world countries leader. he has raped, beat and pregnanted her and now she is determined to keep thei 5 year old son away from chavez. she gets help from another mercanary and falls in love but not before they face many battles and challenges to get and keep her son safe. easy read. really starting to like jahansen.
Boots S
Feb 29, 2016 Boots S rated it liked it
A typical story line - boy and girl meet, distrust each other, must work together on a crime: fall in bed, still tension, but end with love and marriage.

Elena, a guerrilla fighter is captured, and raped by Chavez, a drug lord. She runs away, gives birth to a son. Chavez with no male heir learns of his son and will do anything to possess him. Hero, Galen comes to Elena's rescue.
Andrea
Nov 25, 2015 Andrea rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not as good as The Ugly Duckling by her, but not too bad. It seemed a bit repetitive a lot of the time, explaining the same things over and over again - maternal instincts, personality traits. The romance part of this book was a bit disappointing. It wasn't very developed and felt a bit rushed. Overall impression: Not bad, but not the best.
Arlene Downey
Mar 23, 2016 Arlene Downey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic story

A drug dealer in Colombia finds out he has a son with a lady he forced his attentions on. She plans to lure him into the hands of the DEA in the USA.

Enter Galen, who has appeared before. They get to the USA and mayhem ensues!

A great story, had me enthralled to the very end!

Justin
Jul 17, 2014 Justin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started off slow. I have never read anything from this author before but the end was pretty good. I feel that there were some holes in the plot, but as with other reviewers of this book, that seems to be common. But, if you like a little adventure, check this out, it was a short read and I would recommend as a good start if you have never read anything by Iris.
Bob
Sep 24, 2010 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rico Chavez is a ruthless drug Columbian kingpin, Elena Kyler is the daughter of a rebel leader who has grown up with the rebel forces and learned the "trade" but when the rebel band began to take funds from Chavez, she was "sold" to him. She managed to escape but was caught and held in a local jail till Chavez could pick her up. She managed to escape again and was on the way to meet with a agent from the US who she bargained with to get her out of the country saying she had a way of getting Cha ...more
Sally Lindsay-briggs
This was a fast paced action story on audio cassette. There was mystery, suspense and a touching love story that bloomed between Galen and Elena. Elena is one tough cookie who fights a dark enemy. I loved this tale with its twists, turns and non-stop excitement. There will be more Iris Johansen novels in my "Want to Reads".
Bill Donhiser
I enjoyed the storyline, the characters were good and it was a good way to kill some time when traveling. Pick up at a friends of library sale for 50 cents. it was worth the price. Not my favorite author but would read more when looking for light reading.
Ginger Weirich
Sep 30, 2015 Ginger Weirich rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Start with a mercenary extraction of a woman, a child and a priest from Columbia. Figure in that the child is the child of a Columbian drug king pin. This tale left me breathless and on edge until the very end. Fantastic ride!! 5+ stars.
Cathie
May 20, 2014 Cathie rated it liked it
This is the 5th book in the Eve Duncan series tho Eve & Quinn are not in the book at all. It centers around Sean Galen who (I believe) was introduced in The Search. A quick & uncomplicated story but perfect for summer reading.
Eve Duncan 8 25 Jan 23, 2012 04:33PM
  • Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #5)
  • Eleventh Hour (FBI Thriller, #7)
  • Dark Paradise
  • Die in Plain Sight (Rarities Unlimited, #3)
  • Almost Dead (San Francisco, #2)
  • Killing Kelly (Soap Opera, #3)
  • Now You See Her
Iris Johansen is a New York Times bestselling author. She began her writing after her children left home for college. She first achieved success in the early 1980s writing category romances. In 1991, Johansen began writing suspense historical romance novels, starting with the publication of The Wind Dancer. In 1996 Johansen switched genres, turning to crime fiction, with which she has had great su ...more
More about Iris Johansen...