Start by marking “No One to Trust” as Want to Read:
No One to Trust

No One to Trust

4.08  ·  Rating Details ·  9,091 Ratings  ·  159 Reviews
The #1 New York Times bestselling author of Final Target, Iris Johansen raises the stakes and the heart rate with this relentless new thriller that follows the harrowing trail of a ruthless killer on the hunt—and the woman who is determined to hunt him down.

He is the most terrifying of killers: ruthless, cunning, charismatic. And he has the means to get whatever he wants.
Published August 26th 2003 by Bantam (first published 2002)

Aug 05, 2007 Samantha rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Formulaic Fiction
This book was one I had gotten from a collection of "Free to a Good Home" books. Now I know why this one, in particular, was given away. It's absolutely awful.

I knew how the book would end halfway through. The heroine and her dashing hero (ick!) are so predictable and cookie cutter it's dreadful. What was supposed to be suspenseful was nothing more than yawn-inducing drivel.

I took this book with me on a business trip and only picked it up each night because I didn't have anything else to fall ba
Aug 24, 2007 Deirdre rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: someone who is bored
this is a great book if you are bored or traveling or in jail.
I read this book because I had just finished another one and needed something short and fun to read. I guess it fulfilled my needs at the time, but I did not especially enjoy the book, with its brutal portrayal of human nature and the desire for power and money mixed with familial betrayal. The story begins with the main character (whose name I can't remember) who is on the run from the father of her 4-year-old son. The father, who also runs his own Latin American country, is the villain through ...more
This spinoff from the earlier Eve Duncan series highlighted a new tale of danger and intrigue. Elena Kyler's life was in danger from an abusive man who was her child's father. Although Elena's a trained assassin, she required Sean Galen's help in the midst of desperation to escape from him. She didn't want her child to live in his father's dangerous world. Together Sean and Elena with her child flee from his clutches, while they watch him self-destruct with murder in their waking path. Her form ...more
Jan 12, 2009 Raina rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: advisory-08-09
No One to Trust is about a woman named Elena Kyler. At a young age, she was captured by a man named Chavez, who she runs away from later in the book. Desperate to protect her son from him, she confides in a man named Sean Galen to help her. Overall, I enjoyed reading this book because it was engaging and interesting.
Jun 11, 2009 Charly rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
Good thriller that has one engrossed from the start until the finish. While one has an idea where it will end the path taken to get there is most entertaining.
Jun 12, 2009 Tony rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Iris Johansen- No One To Trust (Bantam Books 2002) 3.5 Stars

Elena Kyler wishes only to protect her son and Sean Galen has been hired to assist her. Rico Chavez wants his son, the son that he never knew existed, but more than that he wants Elena Kyler. She had escaped his grasp once. Can she escape his grasp forever?
Iris Johansen is a talented female author with a knack for writing thrillers. She created believable characters that you couldn’t help but like, although I would have liked to see a
Feb 05, 2016 Vanessa rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
I loved other books by this author, but after taking a few days to read just over a 100 pages (and that's with pushing myself,) I've finally given up. It's probably just my tastes here, but I don't care for drug lords and their quest for money. Also, betrayal is ok in small doses, or as part of a larger more intricate plot. That was not the case here.
Sep 24, 2010 Bob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Rico Chavez is a ruthless drug Columbian kingpin, Elena Kyler is the daughter of a rebel leader who has grown up with the rebel forces and learned the "trade" but when the rebel band began to take funds from Chavez, she was "sold" to him. She managed to escape but was caught and held in a local jail till Chavez could pick her up. She managed to escape again and was on the way to meet with a agent from the US who she bargained with to get her out of the country saying she had a way of getting Cha ...more
Feb 12, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Iris Johansen was brought to my attention by my aunt and while this has been the only book I've read by her, I have to say, it was pretty good. Her characters are all solid and well fleshed-out. Elena is one tough chick and I found her interactions with the various characters, particularly with her son, very real and well-written. She obviously has some tough past issues to get through and the way the story was written was done really well, in that I believed this could actually happen in real-l ...more
Sep 08, 2011 Sue rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, suspense
While this is considered part of the Eve Duncan series, the only Eve in this book is Quinn's lake house. That being said, some familiar characters take center stage. Mainly Sean Galen, the mercenary seen in the last couple of books. I like Galen so it was great to learn more about him. This story was a fast paced suspenseful tale about the lengths a mother might go to protect her child.
Chester Carstairs
Apr 28, 2012 Chester Carstairs rated it it was amazing
This is my second Iris Johansen book and my rating may be a little biased because I liked Galen since the first time I've read about him in Johansen's The Final Target. It's nice to actually get his POV and get an in-depth look at his character. The plot and pace of the story is good. It has suspense, action, and romance. I couldn't quite put it down. It's a light but entertaining read. :)
Apr 05, 2013 Angela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am a huge Iris Johansen fan, however I only have read the Eve Duncan books so it was good to read a stand alone book by her. In this book there's the trust between parent and child, the trust between a man and woman, trust between friends, and of course the flip side of trust -betrayal. These themes are juggled and twisted until even the reader doesn't know whom they can trust besides Galen and Elena.
Although part of the Eve Duncan series, this book is focused on Sean Galen, a lesser character in the previous books. Since I found Galen's limited appearances very interesting in the those books, it was a treat to see him as the feature character. Part of his back story is revealed and it is obvious that he is less than a sterling character, but a great anti-hero. He's not the only character who falls into the grey area between good guys and bad guys, which adds to the plot line. No One to Trus ...more
Rashika (is tired)
Actual Rating 3.5

No One to Trust was surprisingly good. I was a little worried about giving Johansen a second chance after having most of my alarms set off when I read the The Killing Game. This book, while set in the same universe, was so much better in so many ways.

For starters the female lead was incredibly likable in a way Eve perhaps wasn’t. The way Elena grew up hardened her. She was not a female lead to pity but one to admire. I was fascinated by how strong she was. She was kick ass in
Mar 18, 2014 Krowe rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Kaycee Sapinoso
No One To Trust was an okay read. The heroine, Elena, was likable and fascinating. She's a kick ass heroine. And I like that even though she's a fighter and strong woman she wasn't afraid to ask for help whenever she needed it.

I liked Sean. He was a very interesting character. I admired him for respecting Elena as a woman and as a mother. It was not surprising for me by how easily he developed feelings for her. And I loved him for wanting to take care of her. Such a sweet see guy.

The thing tha
I am reading the Eve Duncan series but was becoming a bit bored with the same general plot book after book. This was refreshing and restored my interest in the series. Johansen is building characters in each book and is slowly weaving them all together. You often get a light bulb moment when you see a new character fit into the past story lines and you also start thinking ahead as to where these characters will play in the next book. Good job…
Cathy Smith
Jun 04, 2014 Cathy Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I received the book for free through Goodreads First Reads. This was an interesting book, but predictible. I was hoping for some surprises, etc., but you could tell what was going to be happening next. I would rather have the element of difference within a story. It was well-written and had a good plot. But to keep dwelling on certain areas (how they felt about each other, how no one cared for her son but herself) seemed repetitive. Overall, it was a good read.
Jul 17, 2014 Justin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book started off slow. I have never read anything from this author before but the end was pretty good. I feel that there were some holes in the plot, but as with other reviewers of this book, that seems to be common. But, if you like a little adventure, check this out, it was a short read and I would recommend as a good start if you have never read anything by Iris.
Carolyn F.
What a stinker! I disliked this audiobook from beginning to end and it wasn't just the book. The narration was pretty bad too. I know it would be hard to go from American, to South American, to Irish accents - both male and female - but I feel I could have done about the same job with no actual experience. The romance was unbelievable and "who cares". And the way the author wrote a couple of the characters - as sort of sympathetic psychos - just turned me off completely. Blah!
Jan 12, 2015 Joan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Chavez has brutalized Elena. When she finally escapes, he finds out she has a boy, Barry. He is a drug lord and determined to get his son because he has no sons. Galen is hired to help get Elena and her son out of South America. The Americans want Chavez because of his brutality and the drugs he ships to the U.S. They are using Elena to bring Chavez to the U.S. When he gets here the cat and mouse game begins. Galen and Elena are betrayed by a man they trust who uses Barry to get money from Chave ...more
Feb 10, 2015 Jennavier rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: didn-t-finish
DNF at 85%. Holy crap did this book go south in a hurry. The violence was gratuitous and ridiculous. The suspense was emotionally manipulative and I saw it all coming from a mile away. Seriously, how did I once enjoy anything written by this author? There were moments when I started to enjoy it but I'm so mad now that I can't remember why. I am officially done with this series and this author.
Mar 03, 2015 Andreea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Iris Johansen book done...I have to admit is quite the pleasure reading her books, they have a certain "flow" from where the action starts, because it is action, adventure, with a twist of romance, to where it all ends...happily for the heroes.

There is always a damsel in distress, well in this particular one book, not quite a damsel, but still a lady in need of help, and there is always the hero, in this case a very controversial "handy man"...and let's not forget the bad guy, in this ca
Sally Lindsay-briggs
This was a fast paced action story on audio cassette. There was mystery, suspense and a touching love story that bloomed between Galen and Elena. Elena is one tough cookie who fights a dark enemy. I loved this tale with its twists, turns and non-stop excitement. There will be more Iris Johansen novels in my "Want to Reads".
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
Elena was a kick ass female and with Galen even better. Nothing came easy to her but she did everything she could to protect what was hers and really enjoyed her happy ending too.
Dec 10, 2015 Deb rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was my "airplane book" when I flew to SD last week. I just finally got around to finishing it. This is a very forgettable book. Very poor character development, terrible story development...hard to even call it fluff.
Boots S
Feb 29, 2016 Boots S rated it liked it
A typical story line - boy and girl meet, distrust each other, must work together on a crime: fall in bed, still tension, but end with love and marriage.

Elena, a guerrilla fighter is captured, and raped by Chavez, a drug lord. She runs away, gives birth to a son. Chavez with no male heir learns of his son and will do anything to possess him. Hero, Galen comes to Elena's rescue.
Dawn Dorsey
Apr 29, 2016 Dawn Dorsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
Take 3professional assassins. (Or more as needed), one psychopathic Columbian drug lord, one five-year-old boy, and a loving, guilt-ridden priest, and mix well with a corrupt guerrilla militia. What you get is a fast–moving tale of staying one step ahead of the bad guy--ok, he's one step worse than the assassins, but after all, they are trying to protect the innocent child and his mother, who is one of the assassins involved. I did say it is fast-moving, and you have to keep up. You'll just have ...more
Dan Biermeier
Jun 28, 2016 Dan Biermeier rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I enjoyed a few Iris Johansen novels many years ago, but this one just did not ring true for me. I stopped a number of times in the first fifty pages saying to myself that the line I had just finished was 'not what they would say' or 'too cliché' or 'too old fashioned'. The book is near 15 years old and maybe writing (and thus reading?) has changed that much in those years...but I don't think that is completely true. Probably my reading tastes have just evolved. In any case, too many books to re ...more
Eve Duncan 8 26 Jan 23, 2012 04:33PM
  • Whisper of Evil (Bishop/Special Crimes Unit #5)
  • Killing Kelly (Soap Opera, #3)
  • Lucky's Lady (Doucet, #2)
  • Eleventh Hour (FBI Thriller, #7)
  • Final Scream
  • Die in Plain Sight (Rarities Unlimited, #3)
Iris Johansen is a New York Times bestselling author. She began her writing after her children left home for college. She first achieved success in the early 1980s writing category romances. In 1991, Johansen began writing suspense historical romance novels, starting with the publication of The Wind Dancer. In 1996 Johansen switched genres, turning to crime fiction, with which she has had great su ...more
More about Iris Johansen...