Start by marking “Honor Among Thieves” as Want to Read:
Honor Among Thieves

Honor Among Thieves

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  11,995 Ratings  ·  234 Reviews
Spring 1994, Washington, D.C. - While the Clinton Administration grapples with its domestic policies, a sinister plot is being masterminded six thousand miles away in Baghdad. By using $100 million as bait and spinning a deadly web of corruption, forgery, and terror, Saddam Hussein seeks to embarrass the U.S. with the ultimate revenge: to steal a treasured historical docum ...more
Published December 28th 2004 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published April 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Honor Among Thieves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honor Among Thieves

Anushka
My first full-length Jeffrey Archer novel (other one was Quiver Full of Arrows , his short-story collection) and I am mightily impressed, I must say.
This book falls in "my-type" category. All that crime, conspiracy and stuff falls in my most favorite genre and Honor Among Thieves was a treat to read.
Jam-packed with action from the first page itself, it had an immensely engaging plot which made it hard for me to put the book down. Now I am sure that I'll never have to blink twice to buy a Jeff
Lance Lasalle
May 06, 2015 Lance Lasalle rated it did not like it
I read this in a day and a half during a time when I was hospitalized for thrombosis and....

My God. Absolutely the most, the worst, the terriblest, comically bad book I've ever had the pleasure of reading all the way to the end of.

In order get back at the USA for the Gulf War, Saddam Hussein steals the original copy of the Declaration of Independence: THE ORIGINAL DOCUMENT, fellow Americans? The one with Thomas Jefferson's decaying DNA on it!! Outraged, aren't you? horrified at the very thought
Jerry
Jul 22, 2010 Jerry rated it liked it
International intrigue, lots of action in post-Gulf War Iraq...

This was our first exposure to Jeff Archer, who's skill with complex international plot development reminds one a little of Tom Clancy without the high tech stuff. The main theme is that shortly after Clinton replaces Bush, Saddam Hussein pays $100M to a mob-related group to steal the American Declaration of Independence. A Yale professor (and our hero) Scott Bradley, gets his desire for a field assignment with the CIA to get it bac
Selvakumar Subramanian
Mar 17, 2016 Selvakumar Subramanian rated it really liked it
Read it a long time ago during my initial years as a reader. It was very very good. Among Archer's better ones. But now I think certain things that happen in the novel are implausible. A good thriller nevertheless.
Verona
Apr 03, 2009 Verona rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I love American history and taught my 5th graders all about the Declaration of Independence, to honor it and respect it. I have been to Washington, DC, and seen how it is stored with its decending into its vault. I can't imagine how it could really be stolen, but found it this story fascinating and patriotic. Jeffrey Archer is a wonderful storyteller. I would like to read more of his books.
Jun 06, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I love when I pick up a book that doesn't let me put it down. Though I did have to get a good night's sleep somewhere in the middle - apparently I'm not as young as I used to be. Great organized crime plot, mildly predictable, but satisfyingly gripping writing anyway. A great palate-cleanser from the heavier reading I've been doing.
Erik
Feb 17, 2009 Erik rated it really liked it
My first book by Archer. The book reminded me of a Ludlum novel, as it traced a plot by Saddam Hussein to steal and destroy the Declaration of Independence. Well written and easy to get carried away for hours at a time. I will be reading more from this author in the future.
Stratos
Nov 03, 2015 Stratos rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Κλασική γραφή Αρτσερ. Μεταξύ μας τώρα δεν θυμάμαι την υπόθεση! Να το ξαναδιαβάσω βέβαια, αλλά πότε; Γιατί Θεέ μας έδωσες 24 μόνο ώρες την ημέρα;
Arun Divakar
Dec 25, 2011 Arun Divakar rated it liked it
If I were to pick out one interesting observation that I have made of Jeffrey Archer over the years, it would be his undoubtably good sense in crafting entertainers. Archer never bothers with creating incredibly detailed characters or plot lines that challenge your intellect. He goes in for racy and swashbuckling thrill rides which begin and end with a lot of pomp & splendor.

If memory serves me right, Archer was one of the first authors whom I read after graduating from Hardy Boys when I was
Peter
Sep 17, 2011 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Peter by: pajames1963@aol.com
Firstly I must admit to being a real fan of Jeffrey Archer's writing, if not his politics or morals. I was very generously given this book by Kimberley so many thanks to her.

The plot is quite a simple on in that Saddam Hussein, in an effort to embarrass the American Government hires a criminal gang to steal the 'Declaration of Independance' and the CIA's efforts to steal it back. And others has stated it had the feel of either a Robert Ludlum or Tom Clancey novel without all the high-tech wizar
Tony Held
Oct 02, 2014 Tony Held rated it did not like it
Jeffrey Archer may be a "name" author, but being a "name" does not mean your works are touched with brilliance every time.

Archer's plot for this novel is nothing short of wildly contrived. Saddam Hussein wants revenge for the Gulf War, but, instead of staging a terrorist attack against an American target, he hires some American thugs to steal... The Declaration of Independence? Yep.

Why does Saddam want to pull off the Mother of All Robberies? He wants to publicly burn the sacred document.

Things
Dils AB
May 19, 2015 Dils AB rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, thriller
Maybe because I am wary of anything that puts Mossad operative in a good light. Especially one who is hell bent on a revenge path. But even if the operative is of another nationality I would hate it.

Of course she would be a supermodel. Of course she would be oh so clever in so many things, but oh so gullible when it comes to the heart. It may was not meant that way, but I found the woman character portrayal here is insulting.

I hate Scott rosy outlook even when he is a spies. I despised it even
Rahul Khatri
Aug 16, 2015 Rahul Khatri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cliffhanger Thriller With Keeping Reader on Edge .

Jeffrey Archer is absolutely brilliant. I can't believe I waited this long to read this novel. In the span of 479 pages Jeffrey Archer took me from thriller to Mystery to happiness to sadness to pride of Nation . Some themes covered in Honour Among Thieves are Deception , friendship, love, loss, Patriotism .

Plot hatched with Saddam Hussien's plan in execution to steal American Declaration of Independence to humiliate then American President Clin
Marion
Jan 16, 2014 Marion rated it liked it
Wasn't my favorite Jeff Archer, but I liked how the author twisted the plot and made it turn out the way it did. I still am not sure if the true original was replaced to it's rightful place!
Tom
Apr 06, 2009 Tom rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tom by: Vanessa Mendicino
Shelves: 2008
I couldn't put it down!! This book got me back into reading. Thanks to my friend Vanessa for lending it to me. It sat on my shelf for probably 4 years, and I finally picked it up and read it. Awesome story!
Vyasviral
Oct 09, 2007 Vyasviral rated it really liked it
Honour among thieves, to start with the title really got to me.Im glad i wasnt let down, now i have always been an ardent Jeffrey Archer fan and thats due to novels like these.
Mansuriah Hassan
Mar 08, 2016 Mansuriah Hassan rated it liked it
This is a fast moving story. The background details are accurate. The story was set in some very stressful times. I feel that some points have been exaggerated but on the typical of that era. I was skeptical when I picked up this book as I am used to read Jeffrey Archer's saga. However, I must say that all the doubts I had about the book were banished once I had read the first chapter. The book's villain is the inevitable Saddam Hussein, who plans to steal the American Declaration of Independenc ...more
Rachael
Nov 13, 2014 Rachael rated it it was ok
I have really enjoyed other books by Archer, but Honor Among Thieves was just plain silly. Aside from several gaping plot inconsistencies that I couldn't look past, the "twist" was exasperatingly obvious.

But let's go back for a moment to one of the incongruous plot points that most annoyed me. You have Hannah, a Mossad agent, who falls in love with Harvard professor and James Bond wannabe Scott Bradley. Bradley is a Christian American. He did work abroad in the Middle East, and presumably becam
Vismay
Dec 25, 2012 Vismay rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites

Who exactly was Saddam Hussein? That was the first question that popped up in my mind after completing this novel.
This is what the Guardian has to write about this tyrannical ruler who controlled Iraq for over a period of 24 years with an iron fist. And it was all I needed to know about the guy whom I was beginning to hate halfway through the novel.

Saddam was born in the nearby village of Owja, into the mud house of his uncle, Khairallah Tulfah, and into what a Tikriti contemporary of his calle
Tattushenoi
Dec 21, 2011 Tattushenoi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Spy Fiction Likers
I have had exposure to Jeffrey Archer before, though not much, and have found his works very fast moving and riveting. This one has a woman spy, Hannah Kopec- a model- ,who suffered from Iraq war, working for MOSSAD as a trainee aiming to assassinate Saddam Hussein. Another one is a professor,Scott Bradley[whose father suffered professional embarrassment], at Yale who is working for the CIA.

The plot starts with Iraq's deputy ambassador, Al Obayadi to the UN hiring a lawyer firm [ the Cavalli gr
Chon Rumthao
Jan 14, 2014 Chon Rumthao rated it really liked it
Cleverly and intelligently woven, I am awed by Archer's powerful imagination. Every page is tailored with perfection. The plot being impeccably remarkable with subdued exaggeration is believable to it's very end. Archer risks and succeeds in designing Saddam to steal America's national treasure and works out his heroes to retrieve it back nevertheless. Every character is admirably created, equally powerful to the role assigned.
Strangely I was pained for Al Obaydi, his mother and sister sent to
Sowmya
Mar 03, 2016 Sowmya rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such an amazing book! Jeffery Archer, you have done it again! This was just as gripping, if not even more gripping than "A Matter of Honor"... The process of the smuggling of the declaration both ways was just stunning and perfectly executed! This book definitely kept me on my toes the entire time! Just when you thought everything was wrong or everything was finally happening the way it was supposed to, there was a major plot twist that turned the world upside down. This was definitely ...more
Dr.J.G.
Feb 05, 2016 Dr.J.G. rated it liked it
A plot cooked by Saddam Hussein to steal the constitution of US and bring it to Baghdad and then burn it on television for the whole world to see, which almost succeeds but is foiled neatly by vigilant US men and the honour among thieves that won't let such an atrocity take place. Thrilling, horror, delightful in the foiling of the whole mission of insult to US, and good read.
Aravind
This one is not one of the best Archer novels I have read. The plot is quite outlandish, somewhat typical of Archer. The story is fast-paced, with several nail-biting moments, but, unfortunately, not at the end where they should have been. Also, I could guess the grand twist at about midway of the book. Safe to say that I was a bit disappointed with this one...
Prashanth Kanichar
Apr 07, 2014 Prashanth Kanichar rated it really liked it
i know. spy thrillers are not archer's cup of tea.still I read this one because archer describes the story in such details that keeps you engaged.
novel revolves around Saddam's attempt to humiliate u.s.a. by stoling the independence declaration and the thrills begins..to be frank I am bit disappointed ... overall good novel but archer's style is missing
Sohini Sarkar
Apr 24, 2015 Sohini Sarkar rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Daily Telegraph wrote, 'If there were a Nobel Prize for storytelling, Archer would win'. And I concur. After Paths of Glory, this one is absolutely mind blowing. I wonder why didn't I start reading his books before! Such a fast paced and lucid thriller that all that I have to say is this: Don't try to predict what is going to happen in the next few pages... You will be very dissappointed :D
Shah Newaz
May 25, 2015 Shah Newaz rated it it was ok
This is perhaps not the best of Jeffrey Archer's works. But, yes the plot was engaging at many points thought the climax seemed to be quite predictable. You can read my full book review here - http://booksyougottoread.blogspot.in/...
Raymond Bial
Feb 02, 2016 Raymond Bial rated it really liked it
Although this novel is quite dated and the portrayal of American political leaders, especially the President and Secretary of State is absurd, this is a very suspenseful novel, especially the last chapters and several engaging characters. Very entertaining.
Chetan
Mar 27, 2014 Chetan rated it liked it
Less like a novel and more like a movie script. This one reminded me of Argo but this one was published in 1993. Jeffrey Archer with his unique ability to make the reader research about history, certainly achieves to keep high interest till the end.
Hrishik
Oct 30, 2011 Hrishik rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: goodreads
I read this book because I found it in my house and was eager to open it when it said "Humiliate America" on the front page.

"Honour Among Thieves" takes place after the first Gulf War concluding with the United States victory. Saddam Hussein who now wants revenge and wants to publicly humiliate the U.S by conjuring up a plan to steal the Declaration of Independence and burn publicly on TV on the 4th of July. It now becomes a race against time as the CIA try to retrieve the Declaration before Jul
Indian Readers: Honor Among Theives By Jeffery Archer 5 27 May 21, 2014 03:15AM
  • Mumbai Avengers
  • Jeffrey Archer: Stranger than Fiction
  • The Afghan
  • The Grimm Diaries Prequels 7- 10
  • The Evening News
  • The Scorpio Illusion
  • The Seventh Secret
  • The Rivals (The Mockingbirds, #2)
  • The Class
  • Hungry as the Sea
  • The Stars Shine Down
Jeffrey Howard Archer, Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare (born 15 April 1940) is an English author and former politician.

He was a Member of Parliament and deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, and became a life peer in 1992. His political career, having suffered several controversies, ended after a conviction for perverting the course of justice and his subsequent imprisonment. He is married
More about Jeffrey Archer...

“We all have to be knowledgeable about something, and Cheddar is my specialty.” 0 likes