Start by marking “Honor Among Thieves” as Want to Read:
Honor Among Thieves

Honor Among Thieves

3.81  ·  Rating Details ·  12,770 Ratings  ·  255 Reviews
Spring 1994, Washington, D.C. - While the Clinton Administration grapples with its domestic policies, a sinister plot is being masterminded six thousand miles away in Baghdad. By using $100 million as bait and spinning a deadly web of corruption, forgery, and terror, Saddam Hussein seeks to embarrass the U.S. with the ultimate revenge: to steal a treasured historical docum ...more
Published December 28th 2004 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published April 1st 1993)

Anushka
My first full-length Jeffrey Archer novel (other one was Quiver Full of Arrows , his short-story collection) and I am mightily impressed, I must say.
This book falls in "my-type" category. All that crime, conspiracy and stuff falls in my most favorite genre and Honor Among Thieves was a treat to read.
Jam-packed with action from the first page itself, it had an immensely engaging plot which made it hard for me to put the book down. Now I am sure that I'll never have to blink twice to buy a Jeff
Jerry
Jul 22, 2010 Jerry rated it liked it
International intrigue, lots of action in post-Gulf War Iraq...

This was our first exposure to Jeff Archer, who's skill with complex international plot development reminds one a little of Tom Clancy without the high tech stuff. The main theme is that shortly after Clinton replaces Bush, Saddam Hussein pays $100M to a mob-related group to steal the American Declaration of Independence. A Yale professor (and our hero) Scott Bradley, gets his desire for a field assignment with the CIA to get it bac
Lance Lasalle
May 06, 2015 Lance Lasalle rated it did not like it
I read this in a day and a half during a time when I was hospitalized for thrombosis and....

My God. Absolutely the most, the worst, the terriblest, comically bad book I've ever had the pleasure of reading all the way to the end of.

In order get back at the USA for the Gulf War, Saddam Hussein steals the original copy of the Declaration of Independence: THE ORIGINAL DOCUMENT, fellow Americans? The one with Thomas Jefferson's decaying DNA on it!! Outraged, aren't you? horrified at the very thought
Verona
Apr 03, 2009 Verona rated it it was amazing
I loved this book. I love American history and taught my 5th graders all about the Declaration of Independence, to honor it and respect it. I have been to Washington, DC, and seen how it is stored with its decending into its vault. I can't imagine how it could really be stolen, but found it this story fascinating and patriotic. Jeffrey Archer is a wonderful storyteller. I would like to read more of his books.
Jun 06, 2011 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I love when I pick up a book that doesn't let me put it down. Though I did have to get a good night's sleep somewhere in the middle - apparently I'm not as young as I used to be. Great organized crime plot, mildly predictable, but satisfyingly gripping writing anyway. A great palate-cleanser from the heavier reading I've been doing.
Selvakumar Subramanian
Mar 17, 2016 Selvakumar Subramanian rated it really liked it
Read it a long time ago during my initial years as a reader. It was very very good. Among Archer's better ones. But now I think certain things that happen in the novel are implausible. A good thriller nevertheless.
Erik
Feb 17, 2009 Erik rated it really liked it
My first book by Archer. The book reminded me of a Ludlum novel, as it traced a plot by Saddam Hussein to steal and destroy the Declaration of Independence. Well written and easy to get carried away for hours at a time. I will be reading more from this author in the future.
Faizan
Sep 26, 2016 Faizan rated it it was ok
Well, I think, the thriller is not my type. Except for the The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest series, if you count it as a thriller book.

I am more of a slow book person. I like reading books which do not make my pulse rate high. Instead, I prefer reading those books which flow in a relaxed manner. Not rushing, nor running, just a continuous lazy paced.
I started reading books for only this reason that they are SLOW.

So whenever I read books like Honor Among Thieves, or Gone Girl, I get irritate
Elizabeth Strand
Sep 21, 2016 Elizabeth Strand rated it did not like it
The plot of this book is ridiculous.
Arun Divakar
Dec 25, 2011 Arun Divakar rated it liked it
If I were to pick out one interesting observation that I have made of Jeffrey Archer over the years, it would be his undoubtably good sense in crafting entertainers. Archer never bothers with creating incredibly detailed characters or plot lines that challenge your intellect. He goes in for racy and swashbuckling thrill rides which begin and end with a lot of pomp & splendor.

If memory serves me right, Archer was one of the first authors whom I read after graduating from Hardy Boys when I was
Peter
Sep 17, 2011 Peter rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Peter by: pajames1963@aol.com
Firstly I must admit to being a real fan of Jeffrey Archer's writing, if not his politics or morals. I was very generously given this book by Kimberley so many thanks to her.

The plot is quite a simple on in that Saddam Hussein, in an effort to embarrass the American Government hires a criminal gang to steal the 'Declaration of Independance' and the CIA's efforts to steal it back. And others has stated it had the feel of either a Robert Ludlum or Tom Clancey novel without all the high-tech wizar
Dils AB
May 19, 2015 Dils AB rated it did not like it
Shelves: fiction, thriller
Maybe because I am wary of anything that puts Mossad operative in a good light. Especially one who is hell bent on a revenge path. But even if the operative is of another nationality I would hate it.

Of course she would be a supermodel. Of course she would be oh so clever in so many things, but oh so gullible when it comes to the heart. It may was not meant that way, but I found the woman character portrayal here is insulting.

I hate Scott rosy outlook even when he is a spies. I despised it even
Tony Held
Oct 02, 2014 Tony Held rated it did not like it
Jeffrey Archer may be a "name" author, but being a "name" does not mean your works are touched with brilliance every time.

Archer's plot for this novel is nothing short of wildly contrived. Saddam Hussein wants revenge for the Gulf War, but, instead of staging a terrorist attack against an American target, he hires some American thugs to steal... The Declaration of Independence? Yep.

Why does Saddam want to pull off the Mother of All Robberies? He wants to publicly burn the sacred document.

Things
Tom
Apr 06, 2009 Tom rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Tom by: Vanessa Mendicino
Shelves: 2008
I couldn't put it down!! This book got me back into reading. Thanks to my friend Vanessa for lending it to me. It sat on my shelf for probably 4 years, and I finally picked it up and read it. Awesome story!
Vyasviral
Oct 09, 2007 Vyasviral rated it really liked it
Honour among thieves, to start with the title really got to me.Im glad i wasnt let down, now i have always been an ardent Jeffrey Archer fan and thats due to novels like these.
Marion
Jan 16, 2014 Marion rated it liked it
Wasn't my favorite Jeff Archer, but I liked how the author twisted the plot and made it turn out the way it did. I still am not sure if the true original was replaced to it's rightful place!
Amantran Gupta
Apr 02, 2014 Amantran Gupta rated it really liked it
It is a fantastic book. Its full of surprises. You just cant stop turning pages.
Sridhar Babu
Jul 14, 2016 Sridhar Babu rated it it was amazing
AUTHOR..
Jeffrey Archer..
CHARACTERS...
Scott Bradley, Hannah Kopec (Miss Saib), Antonio Cavalli, Hamid Al Obaydi, Dollar Bill, General Hamil, Cohen, Colonel Kratz, Aziz Zeebari , Bill Clinton (US President..WoW), and Saddam Hussain (Iraq President ..wow)

LOCATION (s)..
Washington DC, (USA), Stockholm (Sweden) Paris (France) and Bagdad (Iraq)
GENRE..
Thriller..

ABOUT THE BOOK..
THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE ((The unanimous declaration made on July 4th 1776, executed by Timothy Matlack)) ..a presti
Edmond Gagnon
Dec 11, 2016 Edmond Gagnon rated it really liked it
I had some difficulty getting into this one. Maybe it was the number of characters and difficult Arabic names I had to remember. Or maybe it was because I was busy writing and let it sit too long between readings.
Either way, the plot had all the essential elements I like in a book, with a number of predictable twists. I'm torn between three and four stars.
It was the first Jeffrey Archer novel I've read, and I did like the book, so I gave it four.
Sundar Annamalai
Sundar Annamalai rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2017
Vismay
Dec 25, 2012 Vismay rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites

Who exactly was Saddam Hussein? That was the first question that popped up in my mind after completing this novel.
This is what the Guardian has to write about this tyrannical ruler who controlled Iraq for over a period of 24 years with an iron fist. And it was all I needed to know about the guy whom I was beginning to hate halfway through the novel.

Saddam was born in the nearby village of Owja, into the mud house of his uncle, Khairallah Tulfah, and into what a Tikriti contemporary of his calle
Lisa
Jan 09, 2017 Lisa rated it really liked it
This was a re-read for me. I first read it back in high school when the characters were current and still in power. I enjoyed the characters in this book especially the Irish forger. It was interesting reading it again know the political outcomes of the people in power at the time it was written.
Izzy
Oct 13, 2016 Izzy rated it did not like it
Oh wow, this was boring asf! If you like international intrigue & etc. it's probably ok but man...a slog!!!
Emily Rodgers
Oct 05, 2016 Emily Rodgers rated it really liked it
Really gripping story and keeps you hooked on reading! But the end is a little abrupt and you're left wondering what happened to a few key characters.
Michael Hawkes
Jeane
Dec 27, 2016 Jeane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: england, iraq
Honour among thieves felt for me very 'American' most of the story. And we are the good guys, Saddam Hussein the bad guy. It included different parties, all with their own goals.
Only after all those stories started to become part of each other, the story became interesting for me.
So after a bit more than half of the book, I started to forget about that superficial, empty feeling I had at the beginning.
It is the change in the story that made me give it four stars, because I was really absorbed in
Tamim Iqbal
Sep 26, 2016 Tamim Iqbal rated it it was ok
My first book by this Author. Cliche, Stereotype, glorifying nationalism- this book has it all.

Patriotic American spy taking on evil Arab dictator who plans to tear up the American declaration of independence on live TV to get back at America for Gulf war.

Never reading any book by this author again, that's for sure.
Tattushenoi
Dec 21, 2011 Tattushenoi rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Spy Fiction Likers
I have had exposure to Jeffrey Archer before, though not much, and have found his works very fast moving and riveting. This one has a woman spy, Hannah Kopec- a model- ,who suffered from Iraq war, working for MOSSAD as a trainee aiming to assassinate Saddam Hussein. Another one is a professor,Scott Bradley[whose father suffered professional embarrassment], at Yale who is working for the CIA.

The plot starts with Iraq's deputy ambassador, Al Obayadi to the UN hiring a lawyer firm [ the Cavalli gr
Rahul Khatri
Aug 16, 2015 Rahul Khatri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cliffhanger Thriller With Keeping Reader on Edge .

Jeffrey Archer is absolutely brilliant. I can't believe I waited this long to read this novel. In the span of 479 pages Jeffrey Archer took me from thriller to Mystery to happiness to sadness to pride of Nation . Some themes covered in Honour Among Thieves are Deception , friendship, love, loss, Patriotism .

Plot hatched with Saddam Hussien's plan in execution to steal American Declaration of Independence to humiliate then American President Clin
Mansuriah Hassan
Mar 08, 2016 Mansuriah Hassan rated it liked it
This is a fast moving story. The background details are accurate. The story was set in some very stressful times. I feel that some points have been exaggerated but on the typical of that era. I was skeptical when I picked up this book as I am used to read Jeffrey Archer's saga. However, I must say that all the doubts I had about the book were banished once I had read the first chapter. The book's villain is the inevitable Saddam Hussein, who plans to steal the American Declaration of Independenc ...more
  • The Evening News
  • The Negotiator
  • The Class
  • The Grimm Diaries Prequels 7- 10
  • Mumbai Avengers
  • The Rivals (The Mockingbirds, #2)
  • The Stars Shine Down
  • The Seventh Secret
  • French Kiss
  • Jeffrey Archer: Stranger than Fiction
  • The Sigma Protocol
Jeffrey Howard Archer, Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare (born 15 April 1940) is an English author and former politician.

He was a Member of Parliament and deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, and became a life peer in 1992. His political career, having suffered several controversies, ended after a conviction for perverting the course of justice and his subsequent imprisonment. He is married
More about Jeffrey Archer...

“We all have to be knowledgeable about something, and Cheddar is my specialty.” 0 likes