Start by marking “Honor Among Thieves” as Want to Read:
Honor Among Thieves

Honor Among Thieves

3.79 of 5 stars 3.79  ·  rating details  ·  9,633 ratings  ·  181 reviews
Spring 1994, Washington, D.C. - While the Clinton Administration grapples with its domestic policies, a sinister plot is being masterminded six thousand miles away in Baghdad. By using $100 million as bait and spinning a deadly web of corruption, forgery, and terror, Saddam Hussein seeks to embarrass the U.S. with the ultimate revenge: to steal a treasured historical docum ...more
Published December 28th 2004 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published April 1st 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Honor Among Thieves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Honor Among Thieves

Anushka
My first full-length Jeffrey Archer novel (other one was Quiver Full of Arrows , his short-story collection) and I am mightily impressed, I must say.
This book falls in "my-type" category. All that crime, conspiracy and stuff falls in my most favorite genre and Honor Among Thieves was a treat to read.
Jam-packed with action from the first page itself, it had an immensely engaging plot which made it hard for me to put the book down. Now I am sure that I'll never have to blink twice to buy a Jeff
Jerry
International intrigue, lots of action in post-Gulf War Iraq...

This was our first exposure to Jeff Archer, who's skill with complex international plot development reminds one a little of Tom Clancy without the high tech stuff. The main theme is that shortly after Clinton replaces Bush, Saddam Hussein pays $100M to a mob-related group to steal the American Declaration of Independence. A Yale professor (and our hero) Scott Bradley, gets his desire for a field assignment with the CIA to get it bac
Verona
I loved this book. I love American history and taught my 5th graders all about the Declaration of Independence, to honor it and respect it. I have been to Washington, DC, and seen how it is stored with its decending into its vault. I can't imagine how it could really be stolen, but found it this story fascinating and patriotic. Jeffrey Archer is a wonderful storyteller. I would like to read more of his books.
Erik
My first book by Archer. The book reminded me of a Ludlum novel, as it traced a plot by Saddam Hussein to steal and destroy the Declaration of Independence. Well written and easy to get carried away for hours at a time. I will be reading more from this author in the future.
Arun Divakar
If I were to pick out one interesting observation that I have made of Jeffrey Archer over the years, it would be his undoubtably good sense in crafting entertainers. Archer never bothers with creating incredibly detailed characters or plot lines that challenge your intellect. He goes in for racy and swashbuckling thrill rides which begin and end with a lot of pomp & splendor.

If memory serves me right, Archer was one of the first authors whom I read after graduating from Hardy Boys when I was
Peter
Sep 17, 2011 Peter rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Peter by: pajames1963@aol.com
Firstly I must admit to being a real fan of Jeffrey Archer's writing, if not his politics or morals. I was very generously given this book by Kimberley so many thanks to her.

The plot is quite a simple on in that Saddam Hussein, in an effort to embarrass the American Government hires a criminal gang to steal the 'Declaration of Independance' and the CIA's efforts to steal it back. And others has stated it had the feel of either a Robert Ludlum or Tom Clancey novel without all the high-tech wizar
Marion
Wasn't my favorite Jeff Archer, but I liked how the author twisted the plot and made it turn out the way it did. I still am not sure if the true original was replaced to it's rightful place!
I love when I pick up a book that doesn't let me put it down. Though I did have to get a good night's sleep somewhere in the middle - apparently I'm not as young as I used to be. Great organized crime plot, mildly predictable, but satisfyingly gripping writing anyway. A great palate-cleanser from the heavier reading I've been doing.
Tony Held
Jeffrey Archer may be a "name" author, but being a "name" does not mean your works are touched with brilliance every time.

Archer's plot for this novel is nothing short of wildly contrived. Saddam Hussein wants revenge for the Gulf War, but, instead of staging a terrorist attack against an American target, he hires some American thugs to steal... The Declaration of Independence? Yep.

Why does Saddam want to pull off the Mother of All Robberies? He wants to publicly burn the sacred document.

Things
Tom
Apr 06, 2009 Tom rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Tom by: Vanessa Mendicino
Shelves: 2008
I couldn't put it down!! This book got me back into reading. Thanks to my friend Vanessa for lending it to me. It sat on my shelf for probably 4 years, and I finally picked it up and read it. Awesome story!
Vyasviral
Honour among thieves, to start with the title really got to me.Im glad i wasnt let down, now i have always been an ardent Jeffrey Archer fan and thats due to novels like these.
Rachael
I have really enjoyed other books by Archer, but Honor Among Thieves was just plain silly. Aside from several gaping plot inconsistencies that I couldn't look past, the "twist" was exasperatingly obvious.

But let's go back for a moment to one of the incongruous plot points that most annoyed me. You have Hannah, a Mossad agent, who falls in love with Harvard professor and James Bond wannabe Scott Bradley. Bradley is a Christian American. He did work abroad in the Middle East, and presumably becam
Vismay

Who exactly was Saddam Hussein? That was the first question that popped up in my mind after completing this novel.
This is what the Guardian has to write about this tyrannical ruler who controlled Iraq for over a period of 24 years with an iron fist. And it was all I needed to know about the guy whom I was beginning to hate halfway through the novel.

Saddam was born in the nearby village of Owja, into the mud house of his uncle, Khairallah Tulfah, and into what a Tikriti contemporary of his calle
Tattushenoi
Dec 21, 2011 Tattushenoi rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Spy Fiction Likers
I have had exposure to Jeffrey Archer before, though not much, and have found his works very fast moving and riveting. This one has a woman spy, Hannah Kopec- a model- ,who suffered from Iraq war, working for MOSSAD as a trainee aiming to assassinate Saddam Hussein. Another one is a professor,Scott Bradley[whose father suffered professional embarrassment], at Yale who is working for the CIA.

The plot starts with Iraq's deputy ambassador, Al Obayadi to the UN hiring a lawyer firm [ the Cavalli gr
Ritika
Honour Among Thieves! Well yes, after reading the book I realized, there actually IS honour among thieves. I mean the way Cavalli (his father, actually) acts, and the way, in the end everything turns out to be fine. Cavalli was smart, but Bradley definitely was smarter. Overall, it was fun reading, especially the part when the four civilians were running for their lives from the Iraqi police. It was all so good, and Scott and Hannah? Well, i'm speechless. But there is something I need to confess ...more
Chon Rumthao
Cleverly and intelligently woven, I am awed by Archer's powerful imagination. Every page is tailored with perfection. The plot being impeccably remarkable with subdued exaggeration is believable to it's very end. Archer risks and succeeds in designing Saddam to steal America's national treasure and works out his heroes to retrieve it back nevertheless. Every character is admirably created, equally powerful to the role assigned.
Strangely I was pained for Al Obaydi, his mother and sister sent to
Prashanth Kanichar
i know. spy thrillers are not archer's cup of tea.still I read this one because archer describes the story in such details that keeps you engaged.
novel revolves around Saddam's attempt to humiliate u.s.a. by stoling the independence declaration and the thrills begins..to be frank I am bit disappointed ... overall good novel but archer's style is missing
Chetan
Less like a novel and more like a movie script. This one reminded me of Argo but this one was published in 1993. Jeffrey Archer with his unique ability to make the reader research about history, certainly achieves to keep high interest till the end.
Hrishik
I read this book because I found it in my house and was eager to open it when it said "Humiliate America" on the front page.

"Honour Among Thieves" takes place after the first Gulf War concluding with the United States victory. Saddam Hussein who now wants revenge and wants to publicly humiliate the U.S by conjuring up a plan to steal the Declaration of Independence and burn publicly on TV on the 4th of July. It now becomes a race against time as the CIA try to retrieve the Declaration before Jul
Gehan
This got the third star only because the plot was so well thought of, detailed and completely outrageous and outlandish. Otherwise, Archer's characters are cheesy and cliched. The romance is utterly useless, feeling completely wooden. No believable adult woman (a Mossad agent, no less), bursts into tears screaming "I love you, I love you!!", no matter what the situation. Also, I can't understand why Archer has to potray both the young women in this book as sex starved man-eaters. Of course our h ...more
Kathy
Could,and should, have rated this international plot higher but it was a tad too complex for me! Could have been I took too long to read it and didn't have a good run at unravelling the plot!
Rajiv
Awesome book, read it full within two days.

Jeffrey Archer is a master story teller and he has once again proved that he indeed is great.

Having suffered a humiliating defeat in the first Gulf war, Saddam Hussein, the then President of Iraq plots a plan for revenge. He masterminds a plan to steal the American declaration of independence and the CIA trying to retrieve it with the help of two patriotic agents.

A gripping story, the events seemed very realistic; I enjoyed reading this beautiful stor
Rowena
Andrea Ricci
Another piece of cheap fiction by Archer. Too far-fetched to convince, too stretched to compel, not subtle enough to surprise.
Robin
This book is responsible for my unusual interest in The Declaration of Independence in my late teen years.
Karl-erik Jansson
One of my all time favorite action stories! I read it twice, and I rarely reread.
Amantran Gupta
It is a fantastic book. Its full of surprises. You just cant stop turning pages.
Nitin Ganapule
The rating is actually 3.5.. I do not take so much time to complete Archer books but I kept reading other books while I was halfway through this book and this is the first time it happened! It may be coz initially the book is slower compared to other Archer works! This book is still one of good reads and packs all the actions and typical Archer trademark writing!
I have grown accustomed to Archer writing and I am huge fan of his writing! This book too follows same standards and the second half o
Sheena
Maybe I'm just not into politically-related espionage... I've enjoyed works by Jeffrey Archer, but this one fell off the mark for me.
Indian Readers: Honor Among Theives By Jeffery Archer 5 20 May 21, 2014 03:15AM
  • Detective
  • Landfall
  • Icon
  • The White House Connection
  • Jeffrey Archer: Stranger than Fiction
  • The Grimm Diaries Prequels Volume 7- 10: Once Beauty Twice Beast, Moon & Madly, Rumpelstein, Jawigi
  • Windmills of the Gods
  • Acts of Faith
  • The Savage Gorge (Tweed & Co. #24)
  • The Parsifal Mosaic
Jeffrey Howard Archer, Baron Archer of Weston-super-Mare (born 15 April 1940) is an English author and former politician.

He was a Member of Parliament and deputy chairman of the Conservative Party, and became a life peer in 1992. His political career, having suffered several controversies, ended after a conviction for perverting the course of justice and his subsequent imprisonment. He is married
More about Jeffrey Archer...
Kane and Abel (Kane and Abel, #1) Only Time Will Tell (The Clifton Chronicles, #1) Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less The Prodigal Daughter (Kane & Abel, #2) A Prisoner of Birth