Start by marking “The Other Side” as Want to Read:
The Other Side

The Other Side

In The Other Side, artist, designer, provocateur Istvan Banyai takes readers on another exceptional visual journey. In graphically stunning illustrations that feature many clever twists in point of view, familiar scenes turn and turn again to show us the back, the front, the top, the bottom, the opposite, the other side of each perspective. Here's a door. What's on the oth ...more
Published July 7th 2005 by Chronicle Books (first published February 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Other Side, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Other Side

Mathew
I am a huge fan of Istvan Banyai so my rating might be bias. After reading Zoom and Re-Zoom as a student, I found I had discovered a picturebook artist who was at ease completely bending the picturebook genre and how we read books. Banyai has always been interested in perspective in all his work but never has it been more clearer than in 'The Other Side'.
As with all his books that I have read so far, this is another wordless picturebook in which all the pictures do the talking for you. Banyai t
Tamara
Apr 07, 2008 Tamara rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Becky
Shelves: picture-books
It took me a while to figure out how to "read" this book. There are no words, but I was trying to read it like a traditional book, which did not work out so well.

You have to view each page in relation to the page on the "other side", i.e. the next page.

This is a wonderful study in perspective. Everything is very subtle, and I'm pretty sure I missed a LOT. May require a second or third "reading."
Thuraya Batterjee
Jan 16, 2008 Thuraya Batterjee rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-books
This book will never disappoint you whether you're a child or a an adult it's
an experience on it's own

But be aware!!!
you might need some assist from a child to
Understand some of the visual tricks that
are too complicated for adults.
Emily
Jan 29, 2014 Emily rated it it was amazing
This book was brought to my attention by another student in class because of the visual perspectives shown. It could be used with students who need to see from another's point of view or even as a visual exercise.
Dalia
Jul 13, 2016 Dalia rated it it was amazing
I was getting some books for my studies when I decided I will grab random fun books. I choose this one among others. The book is brilliant. It is a story told in pictures and there is barely words.
YUE LE
Nov 27, 2015 YUE LE rated it it was amazing
Shelves: wordless
Title: The other side
Author: Istvan Banyai
Genre: picture book, wordless book
Theme(s): imagination
Opening line/sentence: N/A
Brief Book Summary: This is a wordless book. Each two picture shows a mini story in a very short time frame. On the first page is the one side of this story, and on the other side is the other side of this story, or the other way of looking at the picture.
Professional Recommendation/Review #1:
Publishers weekly
Like a Möbius strip, each page in this revelatory, nearly wordles
Theresa
Sep 17, 2016 Theresa rated it really liked it
1. There were not any awards for this book.
2. The appropriate grade levels would be from preschool and up.
3. This book is about perspective and all the different points of view. There are different pictures but always with two different views. For example, a picture in the story you can see an airplane in the sky but when you turn the page it is the perspective of someone inside the plane.
4. I enjoyed going through this book because it helped me remember that there are always different perspecti
Maggie Sideris
Title: The Other Side
Grade Level: 2nd and up
Summary: This is a wordless picture book that takes the reader on a journey to see different perspectives of familiar scenes. It has simple illustrations, with a more complex story. In the end this story poses one question, what does this look like from the other side?
Review: The Other Side is a very creative and interesting book. It was very interesting that on one side of the page it was the image of what the little boy is looking at, and then on the
Marike
Dec 04, 2011 Marike added it
Shelves: wordless
the other side by istvan banyai

a wordless book. I read it for the first time more than a year ago, but thought about it yesterday and read it again this morning.

It is a book which is lovely to keep turning pages back and see diffferent details. The concept is that the other side of the page comments or continues something on the first side.

for example, on one page we see the back of the tiger in a zoo cage with a little girl standing outside with her black cat on a lead, looking in. Turning to
Melissa
Jan 31, 2014 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I happened to be re-shelving this book at work and flipped it open to make sure it went in the juvenile section - and then I ended up admiring the whole thing! This is an artistic work of genius - where each pair of pages (front and back) show the "other sides". For instance, one page's point of view is from the audience in a large hall, while the reverse is from the perspective of the performer peeking through the stage curtain. While it cannot be said that there was any story or plot here, the ...more
Alyssa Teator
Nov 15, 2014 Alyssa Teator rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Everyone
Title: "The Other Side"
Author/Illustrator: Istvan Banyai
Published: August 4th 2005 by Chronicle Books
Genre: Realistic Fiction
The author and illustrator has created an amazing book on perspectives. What really is on the other side? What is the other point of view? We might have never thought of these things until now, but Istvan Banyai creates fantastic illustrations to help us answer such questions. Throughout the story, the reader is shown one perspective of a scene or event, and as the page is
Fisal Ansari
Jul 08, 2011 Fisal Ansari rated it it was amazing
Age:
Grades 4-YA

Genre:
Wordless Picture Book

Diversity:
Perspectives from "other side" of a persons view. Viewpoints.

Illustrations:
Lots of bright colors, bright yellows, black, whites, reds, grays.

Personal response:
I was taken aback by this wordless picture book by Istvan Banyai who is an amazing illustrator and writer. He makes the reader or viewer take a second look at the pictures. I think he is prolific. The picture book depicts everyday scenes and reveals what is on the other side of that reali
Karen
Nov 14, 2013 Karen rated it it was amazing
My newly-five-year-old son picked this book out from the library this week. I might have helped him find it.

Opening this book is like opening the door to a different dimension, losing your bearings, getting lost, finding objects where you least expect them, looking and seeing, twisting your perspective, twisting your world-view, and finding a bit of yourself. And when you close that back cover, you felt like you just rode the Tilt-a-Whirl at the amusement park.

Some of the images went right ove
Bobby
Jan 28, 2012 Bobby rated it liked it
Shelves: reviewed
A wordless book...similar to David Weisner's books but for some reason I didn't like this one quite as much as I like Weisner's stuff. Certainly this is a great book to teach kids about perspective (really young kids probably won't get it so best for little bit older kids). I think this book would have been stronger had there been one coherent plot or story expressed, with each image building on the previous one. But as it is, though there is some relationship between some images, the book overa ...more
Nick
Nov 04, 2013 Nick rated it really liked it
Not sure how to write about a book with no words. But you still have to carefully "read" the images, which I suppose is why this was in with the graphic novels at the library. Each page is an image which refers to the "other side" which usually seems to be the next page. However, the start and end of the book also seem to be mirrors of one another, and various other pages are connected to one another through objects or shapes which appear in both pages. The images also get progressively more sur ...more
Stephanie Croaning
Nov 28, 2015 Stephanie Croaning rated it it was amazing
Banyai's wordless books (Zoom, Re-Zoom) all deal with different points of view and changing perspective. The Other Side features a series of different scenes, shown from two opposite perspectives. For example, the first page shows the scene from the side of a swimming pool; the next page shows the scene from under the water looking up at the side of the pool.

This is a creative book that provides lots of detail to look at again and again. This book could also be used for writing assignments that
The Brothers
Jan 16, 2016 The Brothers rated it really liked it
This is a very sparsely worded book, focusing mainly on illustrations versus narrative. The illustrations provide a scene from one point of view and then the next page provides the same scene from the opposite point of view. My favorite pair of illustrations is the view of a little boy looking at his friend in the distance who is bending over and looking through his legs back at him. Then the next page you see the original little boy standing "upside down" from the view of the boy bending over.

T
Ria Gill
May 04, 2014 Ria Gill rated it it was amazing
The Other Side by Istvan Banyai is an incredibly thought provoking picture book about perspective. I have "read" this book numerous times and picked up different things from it each time. Like all Istvan Banyai illustrations these are intense and cause questioning. I would recommend this book for toddlers up to an adult. The pages could be analyzed separately and be used for metacognitive thinking.
Alexandria
Jun 13, 2015 Alexandria rated it really liked it
This is one of those books that is a neat concept but is a bit above the boys I babysit and whose novelty wears off after the first reading for an adult. All about seeing things from both perspectives, The Other Side is a wonderful concept book for kids. I would just recommend borrowing it from the library rather than spending money on a copy.
Cindi
Oct 11, 2008 Cindi rated it really liked it
A good thinking book, mostly pictures (words only here and there. The more you look at it the more you see how the pictures are linked together. What first appears as a bunch of disjointed ideas seems to grow into a storyline.

Found on Lookybook.com
Randie D. Camp, M.S.
Jul 16, 2011 Randie D. Camp, M.S. rated it really liked it
In this wordless picture book, Istvan Banyai challenges his readers to consider what it is like on the other side through a series of linked illustrations offering opposing views.

Great for older children (maybe 5th and up) and adults.
Christine Turner
Mar 23, 2009 Christine Turner rated it really liked it
A wordless picture book that shows a series of familiar scenes through many twists in point of view, such as a boy looking down out of a jet's window and another boy on the ground looking up at the same jet.
Bridget
Apr 13, 2013 Bridget rated it it was amazing
Brilliant idea! This is a book in which the reader must take their time to really "read" the illustrations - don't breeze through the book because the mystery will be ruined.

A fun, well-thought out book with lots of detail in the pictures.
Emkoshka
Aug 23, 2013 Emkoshka rated it really liked it
Wow, what a wonderful way to explore different perspectives and views and ways of seeing what is ostensibly the same reality. For every side on which we stand, there is an 'other side'. The trick is in being able to see it. Utterly profound and moving.
G. G.
Apr 13, 2013 G. G. rated it it was amazing
Amazing pictures! I am not a fan of his Zoom books but this is the best in my opinion. I kept this book from the library for two months.
Michael Larson
Jan 07, 2013 Michael Larson rated it really liked it
Another interesting take on perspective by Banyai. I do wish the drawings had all linked together, as in the 'Zoom' books, but the level of detail here continues to astound me.
Relyn
Mar 22, 2014 Relyn rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
Recommended to Relyn by: I love wordless picture books.
Oh, I do love this book! This is a book that cherishes and expands the imagination. I absolutely love it!
Nojood Alsudairi
Jan 08, 2008 Nojood Alsudairi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I liked Zoom better but this one is worth "reading" without words too.
After looking at it several times, I got the idea. Thus I am chging the three stars to five.
Nelly
Oct 21, 2008 Nelly rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-stuff
An interesting take on 'the grass is greener...'

Illustrations : 4
Content : 3
Originality : 4
Humor : n/a
Age Level : 5-10
Polarka
Polarka rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2011