Bronx Noir

Bronx Noir (Akashic Noir)

3.41 of 5 stars 3.41  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  11 reviews

Brand-new stories by: Thomas Adcock, Kevin Baker, Thomas Bentil, Lawrence Block, Jerome Charyn, Suzanne Chazin, Terrence Cheng, Ed Dee, Joanne Dobson, Robert Hughes, Marlon James, Sandra Kitt, Rita Laken, Miles Marshall Lewis, Pat Picciarelli, Abraham Rodriguez Jr., S.J. Rozan, Steven Torres, and Joe Wallace.

S.J. Rozan was born and raised in the Bronx and is a lifelong

Published August 1st 2007 by Akashic Books (first published July 31st 2003)

Nancy

Posted at Shelf Inflicted

After reading Kemper's review of Kansas City Noir, I was intrigued by this series of books featuring stories that take place in different cities in the US. After exploring the Akashic Books site, I learned that there are quite a few interesting international locations too. So I decided to start with the Bronx, since that was where I spent much of my childhood, and I figured this would be a great opportunity to visit the city without actually having to drive there.

When...more
Starstuck
These stories are very well written. I read only maybe 2/3 of the book. I've never been to the Bronx and didn't strongly identify with the place. There's no sense of the mercurial mind of noir that revs from 0 to 60 and then slams into a wall. Liked the story "Burn-out" about a fireman going through a divorce who becomes an insomniac. The ending has a real twist.
Denise
For those who don't know, the Noir series are anthologies of short stories that are set in the same location. The stories explore the dark side of human nature - revenge, jealousy, prejudice, greed, avarice, etc. They are wonderful! Besides the first book in the series, Brooklyn Noir, this one is my favorite. The stories really made really good use of the location, Bronx NY, and were actually believable. My favorite was the story about the young wife who would do anything to get out of the Bronx...more
Barbara
I borrowed this book from a friend, but only had a chance to read one story. I don't remember the exact name -- it's the story that takes place in the Bronx. It wasn't as thought-provoking as I would have expected, but I thought it was incredibly well written and the writer did an fantastic job with the characters and setting.

Kevin Baker is the writer of the story I read. I'd like to read more of his work. I love his writing style -- he knows how to create a very strong visual image of the sett...more
Lisa
I'm thinking Noir just might not be my thing, although maybe it's just hard to do without falling back on cliches. It was a bit of an uneven collection, with a lot of so-so pieces and a few really good ones. But the good ones gave me an idea of what's to like about the genre, and I'll be interested to try Boston Noir (doing a little cultural exchange program with a Bostonian friend).
Judy
I found this a bit of a depressing read at times, even though I'm usually a fan of hard-boiled crime. It was all a bit darker and bleaker than I'd expected - though, yes, I know that's what noir means. I will look out novels by one or two of the authors featured, though.
Bruce
Although some of the stories are less than stellar, this anthology does a beautiful job of capturing the yearning and desperation of the Bronx. A must read for anybody who wants to look below the surface of the deepest borough.
Robert Giambo
I have read several in the series of "your city here" noir. This was the weakest so far but acceptable.
Chris
I particularly enjoyed the story City Island by Sandra Kitts in this collection.
Asher
A great collection of stories, made even better because I know the places.
Armand D'Isselt
I absolutely loved this book.
Irena
Irena added it
Jul 17, 2014
Kirsten
Kirsten marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2014
Kay
Kay marked it as to-read
Jul 07, 2014
Chas
Chas marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Benjamin Thornton
Benjamin Thornton marked it as to-read
Jun 25, 2014
Lucero
Lucero marked it as to-read
May 11, 2014
Shelby
Shelby marked it as to-read
May 07, 2014
Dahlia
Dahlia is currently reading it
Apr 04, 2014
Rita
Rita marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Colette
Colette marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
SJ Rozan, a native New Yorker, is the author of nine novels. She has won the the Edgar, Nero, Macavity, Shamus and Anthony awards for Best Novel and the Edgar award for Best Short Story. She is a former Mystery Writers of America National Board member, a current Sisters in Crime National Board member, and President of the Private Eye Writers of America. In January 2003 she was an invited speaker a...more
More about S.J. Rozan...
China Trade The Shanghai Moon (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #9) Winter And Night (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #8) Concourse (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #2) Mandarin Plaid