Start by marking “The Eclogues: Dual Language Edition” as Want to Read:
The Eclogues: Dual Language Edition

The Eclogues: Dual Language Edition

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  961 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Haunting and enigmatic, Virgil's Eclogues combined a Greek literary form with scenes from contemporary Roman life to create a work that inspired a whole European tradition of pastoral poetry. For despite their rustic setting and the beauty of their phrasing, the poems in Virgil's first collection are also grounded in reality.
Published May 1st 1984 by Penguin Classics (first published -38)

To ask other readers questions about The Eclogues, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Eclogues

Blake
Our familiar Virgil tempers the grandeur of the epic with loss, and strikes ambiguous moods in the midst of war glory; but, the lesser known Virgil floods the senses with a rustic imagination drunk on the colourful singing of country air through mountains and over streams. Here the world turns over, like a grave person all wrapped up in earth, and the furniture of the universe weeps with joy for one special child to be seated.

True to his peculiar habits of adopting striking contrasts and raising
Jesse
Have you ever felt grass as soft as fleece? Or heard the murmur of the runnel over soft pebbles? Or heard the soft air whisper a soft tune? Perhaps your life has been too hard. In that case, you must escape to Arcadia and meet the creatures of the wood! Pan, Silenus, and Bacchus are there! Nymphs, Dryads and satyrs, oh my! Don't drink the Lethean water under the poplar where Daphnis is masturbating! Who is Daphnis? Well, Hermes and a nymph did the genital dance, and Virgil, that virgin Epicurean ...more
فضيض

كلمات مفتاحية:

الرعي - حياة الرعاة - مزمار الراعي - راعيان يتسامران - السهول - الخراف - الجداء - العنزات - الثيران - مبارزة غنائية - المزيد من المبارزات الغنائية - مشهد تحكيمي بين متبارزين غنائييْن - غزَل تخيّلي في هند أو دعد أو ليلى أو أُمامة أو أمثالهنّ من الأسماء المتوهّمة القديمة - مديح لأولي الأمر - تشبيهات بلاغية - المزيد من التشبيهات البلاغية

ولكني أعجبت بهذين السطرين من المبارزة الغنائية بين المتبارزين:

دامويتاس:
إن الذئب شرٌ على الحظائر، والأمطار على الفاكهة الناضجة، والرياح على الأشجار
Skye
I'm a Latin teacher, so I figured I had to read this book start to finish! I think I kind of have to like it because it's written by the same poet who wrote The Aeneid, but to be honest I was pretty disappointed. It's beautiful writing and I definitely underlined some areas just because the poetry was so exquisite, and I loved learning about this completely different world of shepherding and flute playing.

I guess I was hoping it would be more narrative, like the Aeneid, and instead it was like
Christopher
This edition of Vergil's ECLOGUES comes in Cambridge University Press' "Cambridge Greek and Latin Classics" series, and is a typical entry. The Eclogues were Virgil's first literary creation, ten pastoral poems that are often a slavish imitation of the bucolic poetry written by Theocritus, but occasionally show striking originality. The fourth eclogue, a foretelling of a golden age brought in by the birth of a miraculous child, is historically significant as it was appreciated by some in the ear ...more
James
These poems provide the foundation for a definition of pastoral. Virgil's book contains ten pieces, each called not an idyll but an eclogue, populated by and large with herdsmen imagined conversing and singing in largely rural settings, whether suffering or embracing revolutionary change or happy or unhappy love. They are inviting and easy to like, both attractive and intelligent. This was from early in Virgil's career and he is already an accomplished poet. The eclogues, written under the patr ...more
Matt
A collection, literally a “selection”, of ten poems by Virgil. More scholarly individuals see The Eclogues reverberate in works by Marlowe, Milton, Wordsworth, Shelley and Frost to name just a few. To those who approach the poems without such depth to compare, they still possess a charm that seeps through the obvious translation obstacles. Love sought and lost is interspersed with tales of a drunken satyr, death, foreshadowed glory and nostalgia. The arrangement has been open to plenty of interp ...more
David
Feb 29, 2012 David rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Vergil
What can I say? It's Vergil, and Vergil is the master poet. Working through the Latin was slow and sometimes laborious, often due to the countless names of trees, flowers, and other plants, but the end result is satisfaction and often longing for the idyllic landscape of Arcadia and the simple lifestyle of the shepherd. The poems purport to be the songs of rustic men, who are taking a break from herding their sheep. They vie with one another over who can play their pipes the most skillfully and ...more
Moataz Muhammad
لسبب ما، قرر اللي كتب مقدمة الكتاب إنه ينافس الكاتب نفسه في طول الكتاب، وبالتالي أصبح الحجم شبه مضاعف.
Fast-forward.

الطريقة المثلي لقراءة أشعار فرجيل هي إنك تتخيل يونانيين بزيهم الشهير بيتكلموا، وإلا هتستتفههم أوي يعني.

فيه حاجات مافهمتهاش وحاجات ماتذوقتهاش، أنا مدرك ده تماما. لكني مدرك برضه إني ماكنتش باقرأ نصوص عادية. ربما قراءة أخري في حياة أخري هتخليني أفهم أكتر.
Lesliemae
My focus is on Eclogues I and XI following Ken Hiltner's proposal that environmental awareness is part of Virgil's project as much as the political allegories that have dominated pastoral scholarship for the last 30+ years
Rick
Ten pastoral poems without a hint of the epic or heroic, just the small dramas of life on a human scale: lost farms, lost loves, friendship and rivalry, and the trials of living on the margins. A quietly eloquent work, The Eclogues is the world’s first concept album, a collection of lyrics that wrought a revolution that lives, breathes, and sings today, arguably making The Eclogues a greater masterwork than his Aeneid. Ferry’s translation is good enough to do two things: make you forget it’s a t ...more
Mariae
Un peu trop court mais excellent !
Boukabene Moustafa
one of my best books xD
Roberto Rho
A leggerlo vien voglia di andare a vivere in campagna...occhio però che la lettura non è semplice, qui i pastori cantano di continuo poemi ad altri pastori, od ascoltatori. Serve una traccia che racconti cosa sta succedendo, altrimenti il tutto risulterà confuso.
Didotwite
The commentary (by Clausen) is a great supplement to the Green&Yellow of Coleman; it's also 20 years newer. I'm using it as a supplement for the class, but it's my new primary reading copy. We'll see if Oxford can print a paperback book any better than Cambridge.
Didotwite
(For class). This will be the seventh or eighth time I've read the Eclogues.

Here we go again. Will I ever get tired of teaching this? I doubt it. Will I ever stop teaching it? Only when I get a class where we can read all of the DRN or the Georgics in a semester.
Jori Richardson
Dec 07, 2012 Jori Richardson rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: readers of poetry and Classical Literature
Virgil's poetic language is flowing and beautiful, classical and intelligent, sensual, merry, and at times tragic.
The charmingly simple yet powerful themes of these short poems focus on things such as shepherds, singing contests, sexual desire, twins, and soldiers.
Marie-aimée
Un grand classique de la littérature gréco-latine, dont certains passages restent pour le moins très intriguant. La nature idyllique créée au fil des églogues rappelle une prospérité qui se veut louange de l'époque augustéenne, et montre tout l'art de Virgile.
Chris
Who am I to write a review on this? History has already spoken. (I will say that this translation, David Ferry's, is excellent, more honest than the Edwardian bowdlerizations many of us were taught. We did our own translation and saw the truth.)
João
I've been introduced to bucolic poetry many years ago (Alberto Caeiro). Strange to understand now that the epitome of the style was achieved 2 thousand years previously.
Stuart Nelson
Bucolic poetry at its finest. Also, Eclogue X holds the original (and true) usage of "amor omnia vincit".
Stella Astrasi
No esta edición, obviamente.

Ya escribiré una reseña en el futuro, cuando pueda releerlas con más tiempo.
Heidi
I enjoyed Theokritos poetry more. But Vergilius' poetry none the less worth reading.
Colin
A pleasant little translation of Vergil with facing text. Nice for casual reading.
Diane
Virgil's poems about shepherds in Arcadia. He includes humor, as well as serious themes.
AJ Henning
Sep 03, 2007 AJ Henning rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to just hang out and talk about the pastures
pastoral hangin'
Dani
Dani marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
  • The Letters of the Younger Pliny
  • The Complete Poems
  • Hesiod: The Works and Days/Theogony/The Shield of Herakles
  • Four Tragedies and Octavia
  • On Duties (Cambridge Texts in the History of Political Thought)
  • The Pot of Gold and Other Plays
  • The Persians
  • Women of Trachis
  • Sallust's Bellum Catilinae
Publius Vergilius Maro (October 15, 70 BCE – September 21, 19 BCE), usually called Virgil or Vergil /ˈvɜrdʒəl/ in English, was an ancient Roman poet of the Augustan period. He is known for three major works of Latin literature, the Eclogues (or Bucolics), the Georgics, and the epic Aeneid. A number of minor poems, collected in the Appendix Vergiliana, are sometimes attributed to him.

Virgil is trad
More about Virgil...
The Aeneid The Georgics Virgil: Eclogues. Georgics. Aeneid: Books 1-6 (Loeb Classical Library) Doomed Love (Penguin Great Loves, #1) The "Eclogues" And "Georgics" (Oxford World's Classics)

“Amor vincit omnia, et nos cedamus amori.
Love conquers all things, so we too shall yield to love.”
85 likes