Start by marking “Salted: A Manifesto on the World's Most Essential Mineral, with Recipes” as Want to Read:
Salted: A Manifesto on the World's Most Essential Mineral, with Recipes

Salted: A Manifesto on the World's Most Essential Mineral, with Recipes

James Beard Cookbook Award Winner.  IACP Cookbook Award Finalist in two categories.

Mark Bitterman is a man truly possessed by salt. As “selmelier” at The Meadow, the internationally recognized artisan-product boutique, Bitterman explains the promise and allure of salt to thousands of visitors from across the country who flock to his showstopping collection. “Salt can be a
Published October 12th 2010 by Ten Speed Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Salted, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Salted

Leah Coffin
Nov 14, 2012 Leah Coffin rated it did not like it
I'm not finished, but I'm done. Here's what I've "learned" from this "book":

1. Food snobs can ruin anything, even salt.

2. The French make the best salt in the world. Everything else is only fit for killing weeds and icing roads.

3. If you invited the author of this book home to dinner, he wouldn't touch a thing you made if you dared to use salt that most people can actually, you know, AFFORD. Because ordinary table salt has no use, you hear me? No! Use!

4. It is okay to exoticize Japanese people b
Magila
Mar 03, 2012 Magila rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
As a popular book, you will find yourself scratching out your eyeballs. The book is dense, with tons of information on salt. It's not for reading in one sitting, it's a reference with all different kinds of salt. It is not like the book Salt, which is about the history and cultural significance of salt. This book features types of salt (chiefly artisanal salts) and their characteristics.

Let me tell you that after reading this book, I tried out a variety of new salts. Most people know table, sea
BookBec
Dec 19, 2016 BookBec rated it it was ok
Shelves: food
I learned some things about the salt-making process and how different types of salt react with food and your palate. That was the first quarter of the book. Fairly interesting.

The last three-quarters are hyperbolic descriptions of different salts and recipes, written with so many poetic flourishes and flights of fancy that one wonders if there were some mind-altering substances in with the salt the author was tasting.
Michele
Oct 07, 2011 Michele rated it liked it
Shelves: books-of-2012
I found it fascinating. I didn't realize South Africa made so many different kind of salts. I loved his food quotes. He had some really great ones.
The five rules of strategic salting:
1. Eat all hte salt you want, as long as you are the one doing the salting.
2. Skew the use of salt toward the end of food preparations.
3. Use only natural, unrefined salts.
4. Make salting a deliberate act.
5. Use the right salt at the right time.
He mostly says that if you quit eating all these prepared foods, your s
John G
Jan 07, 2016 John G rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: foodies
Shelves: food-cooking

Here is the ultimate book on culinary salt.

It starts with an interesting survey of the history of salt in human culture, then an explanation of salt production followed by the chemistry and ecology of the mineral. Next an exhaustive treatment of artisanal salt, which is the focus of the book, wherein artisan salt making is described in detail accompanied by a comprehensive reference of salt types and individual producers taking up about a 1/3 of the book. The last 1/3 of the book is devoted to
minervasowl
Jan 14, 2012 minervasowl rated it really liked it
Shelves: food-cooking
This book is certainly not for someone casually interested in food and cooking, but if you share the author's disdain for industrially manufactured iodized and so-called "sea" salt and want to learn about what is the original food preservative and flavor enhancer, the reading is worth the effort.

Seasoning with salt being a matter of taste, readers will find some of the eclectic and creative descriptions clear and spot-on and others strange to the point of incomprehensible, but those moments of c
Rachel
Dec 12, 2010 Rachel rated it it was ok
I really wanted to like this book, as it has after all, been on my to-read list forever. I like the author and his cooking. I'm not sure what I was expecting, but this was And it is very apparent from this manifesto, that the man knows his salt and how to use it. I had no idea there were so many different kinds of salt (over 100) or so many ways to get it. It was a little bit too detailed and over the top for my needs, but for those wanting to know more about salt, this is a great reference guid ...more
Dakota
Jul 12, 2013 Dakota rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This superb book chronicles the history of salt as food and gives excellent recipes for cooking with rare salts and salt blocks that can be bought from Bitterman's store, The Meadow. The recommendations are revelatory -- of using salt as a selective flavor enhancer added in post, as large grains of pleasure in a soup (rather than salting the soup while cooking); sprinkled on top of buttered bread that was baked saltless; or as flavor granules in homemade chocolate bark. I am extremely thankful t ...more
Anne
Aug 21, 2013 Anne rated it really liked it
I heard about this book from Lynn Rosetta Casper's "The Splendid Table" podcast. It is a very comprehensive compendium on salt, its history, and its uses. I had no idea that there are that many varieties of salt in the world. Mark Bitterman, a selmelier, owns an artisanal boutique that sells salt. The extensive reference guide in the center of the book tells you more than you will ever need to know about salt and its uses. A beautiful book, with illustrations and recipes. You will learn that sa ...more
Jen
Jul 12, 2010 Jen rated it really liked it
Shelves: food
Great resource on all kinds of salt information, good solid inspiring recipes, fantastic pictures, perfect for determining what to try next. Kind of privileged story of how he came to salt that makes me equally grossed out and, I admit it, jealous. Think "Selmelier" is a bit much, but the man took his obsession with the subject seriously. Have to hand it to him for making such a solid guide, but maybe like the straight info much more than the philosophy quotes and meaning searching.
Kathy
Feb 28, 2011 Kathy rated it it was ok
Too much information. I guess I'm not enough of a foodie to enjoy this book. The food section of my local newspaper ran a feature article the pretty much summed up the book. That was the right length for me, not the hundred+ pages of this book. I am also left feeling that encouraging people to throw out their good old Morton's and buy specialty salt is pretentious and not realistic. Though the author's business would definitely profit by it.
Peggie
Dec 19, 2011 Peggie rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
There are more kinds of salt than you can imagine. And the ones most people use (table and Kosher) should be thrown out.

So I'll be switching to sel gris, flake and fleur de sel. I already know they taste better and many speciality salts have trace minerals because they are not over processed like commercial salts.

Interesting book.
Ernie
Jul 21, 2014 Ernie rated it liked it
I honestly did not read this from cover-to-cover. But it has inspired me to pay attention to salt and its relationship to food in a whole new way. So, that's interesting. We made alder smoked sea salt and yeast popcorn last night and it was so CHEESY because of the smoked salt.

The author cannot write. But the information is infectious.
Jodi
Jun 23, 2014 Jodi rated it really liked it
Shelves: paleo, cooking
I didn't read the book front to back. There is too much information for that. It would make a wonderful reference or coffee table book. I was so inspired by the book that I found a salt merchant in NW Portland. I was blown away when I found out that it was one of three stores owned by the author!
Stephanie
May 03, 2011 Stephanie rated it it was ok
I wanted to like this book much more, but the writing was so over the top. I found myself flipping through it, looking to pull out useful or interesting information, but not finding anything to hold on to.
Emmalee
Sep 05, 2016 Emmalee rated it liked it
Shelves: cooking
If you want to know everything about artisan salt and a bit of history, this is the book for you. There are a few recipes in the back, but it's mostly a book about salt, techniques that people use to get salt and the different kinds.
Nate Morse
Jul 22, 2013 Nate Morse rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Contains interesting information on the history and creation of salt. The book is a little short at it mostly contains a catalog of different types of salts found around the world and then recipes.
Maureencramer
Aug 11, 2012 Maureencramer rated it really liked it
I loved it. It is another way to take your cooking to the next level of taste and experimentation.
Wendy Bauer
Oct 08, 2013 Wendy Bauer rated it liked it
Not the best-written book, but lots of great information about salt, without which life would be impossible! :)
Icebox
Nov 18, 2012 Icebox rated it it was amazing
I found it to be incredibly informative and most importantly
it helps one navigate the web site in which to buy some of these
salts.
Margaret Longstreet
Margaret Longstreet rated it liked it
Jun 30, 2013
Tres Fuerte
Tres Fuerte rated it it was amazing
Jul 10, 2016
Abraham Ray
Abraham Ray rated it liked it
Nov 04, 2011
Callifer
Callifer rated it liked it
Jan 07, 2016
Jana van Omme
Jana van Omme rated it liked it
Feb 27, 2015
Anita
Anita rated it it was amazing
Jan 03, 2012
Heather Chase
Heather Chase rated it it was amazing
Jul 24, 2013
Karen
Oct 21, 2011 Karen rated it it was ok
Boring!!
Tina
Tina rated it it was amazing
Dec 30, 2016
David Shenson
David Shenson rated it it was amazing
Jan 05, 2015
Goodreads Librari...: Please Combine: Salted 3 140 Jun 02, 2012 05:26PM
  • The Sriracha Cookbook: 50 "Rooster Sauce" Recipes that Pack a Punch
  • Bones: Recipes, History, and Lore
  • Heart of the Artichoke: and Other Kitchen Journeys
  • Meat: A Kitchen Education
  • My New Orleans: The Cookbook
  • Good Meat: The Complete Guide to Sourcing and Cooking Sustainable Meat
  • Peter Reinhart's Artisan Breads Every Day: Fast and Easy Recipes for World-Class Breads
  • Keys to Good Cooking: A Guide to Making the Best of Foods and Recipes
  • The Lee Bros. Simple Fresh Southern: Knockout Dishes with Down-Home Flavor
  • The Splendid Table's How to Eat Weekends: New Recipes, Stories, and Opinions from Public Radio's Award-Winning Food Show
  • The Blue Chair Jam Cookbook