Start by marking “No Colder Place (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #4)” as Want to Read:
No Colder Place (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #4)

No Colder Place (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #4)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  456 ratings  ·  32 reviews
Bill Smith is going undercover again as a favor to an old friend who wants him to investigate thievery on the 40-story Manhattan site of Crowell Construction’s latest project.

His bricklaying is a little rusty, but passable as he checks out the foreman who’s under suspicion. A crane operator has disappeared–along with some heavy machinery.

But when a well-orchestrated riot c
Published October 15th 1998 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published 1997)

To ask other readers questions about No Colder Place, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about No Colder Place

Hobart
Rozan was able to tap into her day job here and use her knowledge of architecture, construction -- particularly the idiosyncratic way that construction is done in NYC. Bill, and the tune/atmosphere Rozan uses for his books, is able to be pensive, reflective, and almost poetic in thinking about the act of building. Lydia wouldn't be able to do that. This type of thing is a real advantage to switching POV characters the way Rozan does.

The series feels different when Bill is at the center, and I fo
Lila
This is the fourth of Rozan's mysteries. The author is a native New Yorker and trained as an architect. Her descriptions, like Barry Maitland's London-based stories, incorporates a knowledge of the building trade and the structure of buildings. in this mystery, something is very much amiss on a construction site and PI Bill Smith poses as a bricklayer to figure it out. His partner, Lydia Chin, doesn't come in until later, but she is a gem. This is a good partner based series with excellent New Y ...more
Andy
A so-called detective who's supposed to be undercover uses his real name, tells people who he really is, makes bad/dumb decisions, and does almost nothing to find out what's really going on until people just start confessing things to him for no reason. And SOOOOOO much talking…pages and pages of dialogue covering parts of the story that have already been told, banter that has nothing to do with anything, and is far from witty but mainly annoying…I've read cereal box blurbs that were more compel ...more
Carl Brookins

Wit, excellent characters and twisted plot lines mark this novel as a distinct reading pleasure. Add to that a high level of writing skills, and you have another winner from Ms. Rozan. That the novel retains solid interest is testimony to its staying power.

Take two very different professional investigators, Bill Smith and Lydia Chin. Insert them into a Manhattan building project to investigate theft. It sounds simple on the surface, but there are circles within circles, and motivations that are
Kathy
Spuddie
#4 Lydia Chin/Bill Smith mystery set in New York City. This series is somewhat unique in that it alternates points of view every other book. This one is told from Bill's point of view. Both are private investigators with separate agencies who work together. Bill would like their relationship to be more than it is, and I think Lydia would as well, except that her family is traditional Chinese and her mother dislikes Bill--or the idea that any Caucasian would woo her daughter.

Bill is contacted by
Lynne-marie
Bill Smith, that uber-detective, gets upper billing in this Smith/Chin novel, and hires himself out to go undercover on a construction site (the coldest place of the title) for a friend/client and talks Lydia Chin, much against her principles and her will, into going in undercover, too, as a secretary in the construction trailer headquarters. Expensive items have been disappearing and then suddenly men are getting killed. What does this have to do with a name whispered into BIll's ear that conne ...more
LJ
NO COLDER PLACE - Ex
Rozan, S.J. - 4th Smith/Chin book

When a Manhattan construction site is plagued by an escalating series of thefts and misfortunes, the contractors suspect that they've been targeted by one of their own subcontractors' employees. Brought in to investigate, P.I. Bill Smith goes undercover on the site as a bricklayer - a profession he hasn't practiced for more than twenty-years - to try to uncover the truth about the suspect as well as the troubles on the job site. With his somet
Glenn Harris
This is a very interesting series, the books alternating between partners, 30-ish Chinese-American PI Lydia Chin and 40-ish white guy PI Bill Smith, as the main character. In this one, Smith goes undercover as a bricklayer on a construction site with Lydia backing him up as a secretary in the office. What seems at first to be a simple case of course turns deadly and incredibly complicated.
Richard Thompson
The third (I think) S. J. Rozan mystery novel. GHOST HERO was set in the New York art world. MARDARIN PLAID was set in the fashion trade. I was beginning to wonder if that was a pattern... some kind of New York cultural niche. NO COLDER PLACE though is different. Unlike the others it is told in the first person by P.I. Bill Smith. He is approached by a much larger detective agency to take on a case involving corruption and theft at a highrise construction project. (In the author bio we find out ...more
Stan
Excellent murder/suspense tale that takes you into the world of construction, and more specifically into the world of masonry. That may not sound especially fascinating, but Rozan can make you feel what it's like to be standing on the scaffold slapping on mortar and setting bricks. In fact, the writing is at times strikingly beautiful, especially, it seems, when the author is anthropomorphizing weather:
"The sun had made it, splitting a heavy cloud over the Hudson and pouring out a deep yellow li
Bazz
Jul 15, 2012 Bazz rated it 2 of 5 stars
Shelves: 2012
To be honest I think the only reason I made it to book 4 of this series is the fact that I'd already purchased the books.

It's the same old story as the previous books in the series here - Bill helps a friend by looking into things, brings his partner Lydia in to it to help. He still loves her, she only likes him as a friend blah blah blah. Once again the background of these two gets in the way of the story and I'm clearly not a fan of that side of things!

The plotline for what they are investiga
aPriL eVoLvEs (ex-Groot)
This is an award winner and many professional critics thought this the best one so far in the series, but I thought it lacking in energy and emotion. It goes by the numbers, required by the mystery genre tag. Also, I'm getting tired of the ridiculous relationship between Chin and Smith. By my clock, they either should break up the relationship or become lovers by now. If they kept their feelings hidden, I can see it being dragged on like this, but they refer to the uncomfortable state of Smith's ...more
Deb Oestreicher
Bill Smith goes undercover on a construction site, first to establish whether a foreman is involved in criminal activities, and also to see if he can find out what happened to one of the construction workers, who's disappeared. The case turns out to be more complicated than it seems when the pace of "accidents" on the site accelerates and Bill becomes convinced that his client is hiding something. Lydia goes undercover also, as a secretary. Aside from life on a construction site, this story intr ...more
Hallie
Really liked this one, which was a definite step up from the previous books.
Nancy
Marathon read today (half the book in one sitting mostly). Finished this one while waiting for my mother to get out of surgery. I like Rozan's books. This one was told from the perspective of Bill Smith, with occasional appearances by Lydia Chin, and involved misdeeds and treachery in the building trade in New York. Some of the building-related details were not as clear for me but I still enjoyed the well-drawn characters and was satisfied by the"less-than-perfect" ending.
Kathleen O'Nan
This the 2nd "Bill Smith" book and I liked it much more than the 1st one. His character was better drawn in this one and the story was great fun. I'm still inclined to like the "Lydia Chin" ones more so am looking forward to number 5 in the series.
Cathy
I am absolutely loving this book and have added S.J. Rozan to my favorite authors list.....Finished the book this afternoon and am still thrilled with it. So much fun to discover a "new" author. The story was sufficiently complicated so as not to be boring but not so complicated it was unbelievable. I'm jumping in several books in so I still haven't figured out what makes Bill and Lydia tick.
Ashley
I had never read anything by Rozan before this and I don't think that I have read anything since, which is surprising as I liked this book. I had never really read anything in the vein of crime drama/murder mysteries but I enjoyed this. I don't recall half of what happened in this actual book, but at the time, I was hard pressed to find fault with Rozan's writing or story-telling.
I enjoy Rozan's writing, her obvious knowledge of the world of construction & architecture, and the interesting side characters (Ms. Armstrong, Mr. DiMaio, etc.). Wish for more development or an end to the Lydia/Bill kiss-on-the-cheek dynamic, as it is stretching thin, but liked having some insight into what makes Bill so patient.
Brenda Clough
Starting in on the series with this book, which happened to be the first one I got my hands on. The author is obviously a master at dropping little details that we want to know more about -- now I will be forced, forced! to go and find the other books.
Kaje Harper
This is a great mystery, good story, great characters, and a narrative voice that is never off-key. I love this whole series of mysteries with Bill Smith and Lydia Chin, and this is one of the best.
Joy
It was interesting that the author has changed narrator for this book from Lydia to Bill. I enjoyed it slightly less than Lydia's world, but on the whole it was another good read.
Anna
Interesting plot.
LizH
Another great installment in this series, from Bill's point of view. Lots of good twists that had me guessing, and is it my imagination, or are Bill and Lydia getting closer?
Robert J.
Good story, particularly near the end; Bill doesn't come off very well as a top-line PI, though. He's impulsive, I guess.
Margarita
I love this series and wish Ms. Rozan would write more. The two main carachters are just great and I am frantic to read more about them. Please!
Joe O'c
OK; Continuing characters: Bill Smith and Lydia Chin; investigators try to unravel murder on a building construction site
Rhesa
Love this series - NYC settings, very clever. This one takes place in my old neighborhood (Book: 99th & Bway / RLW: 103rd & CPW)
Kathy
I'm really enjoying these Bill Smith/Lydia Chin novels, good chemistry, nice twists to the mysteries
  • False Pretenses (Nancy Drew: Files, #88)
  • Black Widow #4
  • Dear Old Dead (Gregor Demarkian, #9)
  • The Flower Master
  • Blues in the Night (Molly Blume, #1)
  • Redemption Street (Moe Prager, #2)
  • The Bone is Pointed (Inspector Napoleon Bonaparte, #6)
  • Persistence of Vision
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Freefall, Part 1 (Season 9, #1)
  • Louisiana Hotshot (Talba Wallis, #1)
  • Deception Pass (Thomas Black, #10)
  • Tulle Death Do Us Part (Vintage Magic Mystery #6)
  • The James Joyce Murder (A Kate Fansler Mystery #2)
  • SPQR IV: The Temple of the Muses (SPQR, #4)
  • Executive Actions
SJ Rozan, a native New Yorker, is the author of nine novels. She has won the the Edgar, Nero, Macavity, Shamus and Anthony awards for Best Novel and the Edgar award for Best Short Story. She is a former Mystery Writers of America National Board member, a current Sisters in Crime National Board member, and President of the Private Eye Writers of America. In January 2003 she was an invited speaker a ...more
More about S.J. Rozan...

Lydia Chin & Bill Smith (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • China Trade
  • Concourse (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #2)
  • Mandarin Plaid
  • A Bitter Feast (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #5)
  • Stone Quarry (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #6)
  • Reflecting the Sky (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #7)
  • Winter And Night (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #8)
  • The Shanghai Moon (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #9)
  • On the Line (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #10)
  • Ghost Hero (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #11)
China Trade The Shanghai Moon (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #9) Winter And Night (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #8) Concourse (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith #2) Mandarin Plaid