Start by marking “Renegade (The Lost Books, #3)” as Want to Read:
Renegade (The Lost Books, #3)

Renegade (The Lost Books #3)

3.92  ·  Rating Details ·  4,522 Ratings  ·  119 Reviews
One of the chosen has gone renegade.Turning his back on all that he once believed, Billos enters the forbidden book and lands in a reality that is as foreign to him as water is to oil. A place called Paradise, Colorado, where he discovers he has strange new powers given to him courtesy of a mysterious figure known as Marsuvees Black.
Published April 12th 2010 by Thomas Nelson (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Renegade, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Renegade

Brittany
Apr 30, 2012 Brittany rated it it was ok
This book was alright. Apparently the pattern is that each of the main characters get their own book in which they get to be a complete idiot and everyone else runs around trying to help them. This time it was Billos's turn and he sure did a bang up job of it. I continue to enjoy the new addition of Karas, who seems to be the only one of the group who possesses any amount of common sense. I'm crossing my fingers that she doesn't become infected with the stupidity that seems to afflict the rest o ...more
Josh Ginter
Dec 02, 2013 Josh Ginter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sometime after the year 4000 AD, history appears to be repeating itself as Teeleh, enemy of Elyon, overruns the once lush green forests. Those who are faithful to Teeleh, the desert Horde, have multiplied in number, and those loyal to Elyon, the Forest Dwellers, must recruit a new army as theirs dwindles. Thomas of Hunter, the Forest Dweller commander, carefully selects 1,000 worthy young men and women to replenish his diminishing troops.

Heading up this unseasoned army are teenagers Johnis, Silv
Brian
Jan 11, 2012 Brian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow, Dekker really got back into form with Renegade. It might be that incorporating Black, one of Dekker's best characters and the equivalent of Stephen King's "Randall Flagg" character or that he included various elements of Showdown and Skin into this tale that gave it the boost it needed.......or I suppose it could even just be that Ted really hit his stride here.... but, whatever the reason, this book really sings. While the first two books told interesting and even gripping tales, the YA sl ...more
Sareh
Oct 14, 2011 Sareh rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was better than the last two. I enjoyed seeing the characters grow and learn the truth about their world. I especially love the Christian themes in these books.

One of the other things that I love/hate is when the author ties in stuff from other series and you have to read all the other books to get the full picture. And while you don't have to read the other books to understand these books, you can still read the other books to understand the whole thing.

The story seemed to be mainly
Gigi
Jun 07, 2010 Gigi rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Not my favorite in the series. Authors seem to have a hard time bringing sympathy to characters whose weakness is pride. I am not sure why but this book seems to get to caught up in trying to teach us that pride is wrong instead of developing the plot. But it is a short read.
Tricia
Mar 01, 2010 Tricia rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ya, series, fantasy, adventure
this series is getting weirder and weirder....I like the epic like story at first, and now I am on a mission just to see where on earth Dekker is taking this story....
Flower
Sep 29, 2009 Flower rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen-read
I like these books but the religious undertones are a bit odd. Not sure I like that part. Over all okay books.
Savannah Hiller
Love a good Ted Dekker book. It always amazes me how all of his books tie together in small ways.
McKenzie Rae
Jun 27, 2015 McKenzie Rae rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dekker does it again. To be honest, I wasn't fond of the storyline. But I found myself asking the silent question multiple times: how in the world is Dekker going to resolve it this time? There was no possible resolution in my mind, but thick surprises awaited me. Chapter 31 (I charge you heavily not to skip to it; it'd spoil it for yourself) was...beyond breathtaking, in a fantastically-formed sort of way. That alone reminded me why I so adore the writings of Mr. Dekker. That alone sur
Becky B
Sep 23, 2012 Becky B rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Middle school & high school Christian fantasy fans
Melissa Darnold
I don't know what it is about this one, but I love it. I definitely loved it more the first time I read it, but there is a certain charm about this book that I can't necessarily explain. Strangely enough, I thought the book's plot was something completely different and when I reread it, there was a certain amount of "WTF?" going on in my head, but it was wonderful, nonetheless. I like the transport to the different worlds and the connection between the different books as well. I don't know; it's ...more
izzy
Jan 23, 2014 izzy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Before you read this, there are a ton of spoilers!

All three of the books in the chronicles of the lost books, I discovered that all four books, chosen, infidel, renegade, and chaos, is like one large book cut in four. These books are about four young people working together to collect all seven books of history before the enemy does.
In chosen, the main character, Jonas, discovers that he is chosen by his people's god, Elyon, to kill the most evil source in the world. Jonas and three others, Dar
Simon Taylor
The dreadful Lost Books series continues in Renegade, which slips from the sublime to the ridiculous.

Fans of the wider Books of Histories Chronicles will know the drill after bad guy Billos disappeared into a book at the end of Infidel. He pops up in another place and time. But from here we go to all new levels of crazy, even by Chronicles standards.

Yes, part of the action remains running round in circles in the desert between the Forest Guard and the Hoarde, but pretty much everything else is n
Rachel
Jul 31, 2012 Rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
When Bilos betrays the team and disappears into the Books, Johnis, Silvie, and Darsal must rescue him. This is a really difficult book for me to review. I’m a huge fan of Ted Dekker, and I’m reading these books because they seem to be the glue that holds together his loosely related books: The Circle Trilogy, The Paradise Trilogy, and the stand-alone book Skin. However, I feel that this series of books suffers from two fatal flaws: 1) Dekker’s trying to be too clever and 2) Dekker’s hammering us ...more
Jay
Apr 16, 2009 Jay is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: q4-2009
Renegade, by Ted Dekker, is the third of the Lost Books series span the 15 year gap between "Black" and "Red" in Dekker's Circle Trilogy. The books can be read in any order, though they naturally flow best from 1 to 4. In Renegade, the book follows four top warriors chosen by Thomas Hunter (the leading protagonist of the Circle Trilogy), Johnis, Drasal, Billos, and Silvie. The book begins in the thick of action where Billos betrays his comrades and enters an alternate world in his lust for power ...more
Randy Tramp
Mar 31, 2015 Randy Tramp rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Book:
Billos’s own drive twirls him into the Book of History. He enters Paradise, Cororado, a foreign place to him. A mysterious figure, Marsuvees Black coaches Billos toward power.
The other chosen set on a journey to find Billos. Another converted is added to their group. They are unprepared for the showdown that the renegade has lured them into.
My Thoughts:
Fast action and unstoppable suspense. The setting caused my memory to jump to the other books that Dekker has written. The dots are bei
15vincents
Jan 15, 2014 15vincents rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book Renegade by Ted Dekker is about 4 recruits chosen to find the 7 books of history. But one of them, Billos, is more interested in personal gain and goes of into one of the books to try and acquire power. In this, he meets Marsuvees Black. Together they will attempt to acquire all of the books of history.
My favorite part is when Black pretends to tie up and kill Darsal as a test to see where Billos' loyalties lie. Billos tries to kill Black and is rewarded by the fake Darsal disappearin
Casey
Mar 05, 2013 Casey rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting. Intriguing. Invigorating. Different. Strange. Weird. All words that describe this book. The first two books Chosen and Infidel have the same setting and then Renegade goes off somewhere totally nutso. Dekker does this type of thing, and he know he has a lot of ties in these novels to other series, it's just different. Fun. The overall message is great and the ending has another amazing cliffhanger that's pretty intense, out of the three it has the best cliffhanger. The journey is ju ...more
Geoffrey Henderson
This book wasn't terrible by the end. I felt like so much of the book was about building up to the next in the series that it ruined the current book. The events were spaced out and attempted to connect at the end and did so clumsily. The Christian religious alliteration was very cool and came unexpectedly. After reviewing it makes perfect sense though
At the 3/4 mark of the book I was excited to finish more for the reason that I didn't know how it might end. All summed up, it had some fun and p
Linda
Jul 16, 2012 Linda rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Book 3 of Lost Books Series finds Billos (1 of the 4 teens on the quest) going renegade, and finding himself in an alternate reality. Johnis, Silvie and Darsal are left with two books but now Darsal has gone renegade in her frantic hunt for Billos. They have added the converted Hord child, Karas, to their group, not intentionally, but because she thinks Darsal is her Aunt, and refuses to be left behind.

Here we find Billos being tempted and swayed by power, through a virtual reality game, althou
Kristin
May 21, 2009 Kristin rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Kristin by: Timothy Howald
Shelves: novel
Timothy found this for me...he had to go to 2 libraries and ask someone to help him...he found it in a stack, under another book. That boy really wants me to keep reading these! :)

----
I read this quickly...to get it over with sooner. Not my fav. Timothy didn't care for this one as much, either. Didn't care so much for a new character. These books wear me out...they stay intense. As soon as one cliff-hanger might be resolved, another life-or-death situation occurs. I'm ready for a nice Sisterchic
Ben
Oct 18, 2014 Ben rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fantasy lovers and action and adventure lovers
Recommended to Ben by: My mom
Billos is tuning his back on what he thought was true and breaks the most important law,he enters into a book of history. He lands in a reality so different than are's, a place Called Paradise,Colorado. I think that the book is a great book for fantasy lovers,action lovers, and also adventure lovers because it takes place in world ahead of our time but it seems though they are in the history's because they fight with daggers and swords and then when Bilos goes to paradise the are guns. In my opi ...more
Kaitlin (BooksWithKaitlin)
This book was a little better than the second book. This book was a quick read. Finish it in one sitting. In this book you get to learn more about the other two characters Darsal and Billos. I honestly hate those too. They were so annoying in this book. I could not stand them. I just want to strangle the both of them when I was reading this book. They frustrated the hell out of me. I don't know if that is what the author was trying to do, but if he was it worked. They were very selfish, but hey ...more
Kristy
Wow...didn't see that ending coming at all. Just when I think I see where Ted Dekker's going with the story, he throws me for another twist. Great stuff!! I really enjoyed this one. I think the more I read in these, I understand his other book, Showdown more too...when I read that one, I didn't like it that much and thought it was weird, but now that I've read these other ones that intertwine with it, it's starting to make more sense to me.
Jaime
Jun 27, 2013 Jaime rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, but I felt like there was action with little plot. Billos' behaviour was understandable given his arrogance, and I"m glad he was healed. It was very similar to Thomas' healing in Black.

I was also very confused with the Dell "monster." It sounded like a computer at first, but then I was uncertain about what Dekker was describing.

I do want to know what happens to the four teens.
G H
This one was like dirt compared to the first ones. First off I hate Darsal. So have it be from her perspective most of the time was like torture. Second, I hate Billos. So having the other part be from the perspective of him was super lame. And third, I just wasn't a fan of the entire plot. It was nothing compared to, say, the circle series. And Darsal's entire reaction to Billos stupidity was even more stupid.
Kassandra
May 16, 2012 Kassandra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This books was very action related. It was entertaining and brings across a good point. It shows you that power and wanting for something can mislead you into doing things that you shouldn't do. It ends up hurting you in the end. And in this book one of the characters fell, but in the end God or Elyon restored him. He might of sacrificed a lot but it paid off because in the end he changed and most of all he understood
Jamie Byrd
May 22, 2016 Jamie Byrd rated it really liked it
All of these books have been really good so far. Renegade, without a doubt offers a new twist to the story, and I really look forward to starting the next book Chaos some time this summer. The best thing about this book is that compared with the first two books, is that the end is truly a cliffhanger. It leaves you wondering what is going to happen not just with Johnis and Silvie, but ever single character. Everyone plays a key rule. These books are easy, quick, and enjoyable reads.
Deanna
Dec 26, 2013 Deanna rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library, ebook
This series was really good when I was listening to it on audiobook, but I could only find Renegade as an ebook. The story is excellent, the premise is interesting, and the mixture of our reality with the main characters is exciting. What makes my rating so low is the horrible grammar mistakes and awkward sentence structures. Reading it, I feel as though it was written by an elementary school student.
Jordan Warner
The four chosen ones find themselves in an alternate reality not knowing whether it is real or a dream. They must search this reality for more of the lost books while trying to find a way out an back to the forest. Their mission has now become more important than ever before. One of the chosen follows the wrong path, risking his life, and finding himself on the hands of the evil one. Johnis must save him and find the lost books.
  • To Kill With Reason
  • The Scarlet Trefoil (Tahn Dorn #3)
  • Whirlwind (Dreamhouse Kings, #5)
  • Shadow Over Kiriath (Legends of the Guardian-King, #3)
  • All My Holy Mountain (Binding of the Blade, #5)
  • Kingdom's Call (Kingdom, #4)
  • Venom and Song (The Berinfell Prophecies, #2)
  • Demon: A Memoir
  • The Bone House (Bright Empires, #2)
  • Nightmare Academy (Veritas Project, #2)
  • Eternity's Edge (Echoes from the Edge, #2)
  • Uplink from the Underground: Showtime for Vicki (Left Behind: The Kids, #24)
Ted Dekker is known for novels that combine adrenaline-laced stories with unexpected plot twists, unforgettable characters, and incredible confrontations between good and evil. Ted lives in Austin with his wife LeeAnn and their four children.
More about Ted Dekker...

The Lost Books (6 books)
  • Chosen (The Lost Books, #1)
  • Infidel (The Lost Books, #2)
  • Chaos (The Lost Books, #4)
  • Lunatic (The Lost Books, #5)
  • Elyon (The Lost Books, #6)

“The light had simply and utterly destroyed the darkness.” 62 likes
“Billos ran. He tore down the shore, bounded up on the rock, and dove into the air.
The warm water engulfed him. A boiling heat knocked the wind from his lungs. The shock alone might kill him.
But it was pleasure that surged through his body, not pain. The sensations coursed through his bones in great unrelenting waves.
Elyon.
How he was certain, he did not know. But he knew. Elyon was in this lake with him.
Billos opened his eyes. Gold light drifted by. He lost all sense of direction. The water pressed in on every inch of his body, as intense as any acid, but one that burned with pleasure instead of pain.
He sank into the water, opened his mouth and laughed. He wanted more, much more. He wanted to suck the water in and drink it.
Without thinking, he did just that. The liquid hit his lungs. Billos pulled up, panicked. He tried to hack the water from his lungs, but inhaled more instead. No pain. He carefully sucked more water and breathed it out slowly. Then again, deep and hard. Out with a soft whoosh. He was breathing the water!
Billos shrieked with laughter. He swam into the lake, deeper and deeper. The power contained in this lake was far greater than anything he'd ever imagined.
"I made this, Billos."
Billos whipped his body around, searching for the words' source. "Elyon?" His voice was muffled, hardly a voice at all.
"Do you like it?"
"Yes!" Billos said. He might have spoken; he might have shouted--he didn't know. He only knew that his whole body screamed it.
Billos looked around. "Elyon?"
"Why do you doubt me, Billos?"
In that single moment the full weight of Billos's foolishness crashed on him like a sledgehammer.
"I see you, Billos."
"I made you."
"I love you."
The words crashed over him, reaching into the deepest folds of his flesh, caressing each hidden synapse, flowing through every vein, as though he had been given a transfusion.
"I choose you, Billos."
Billos began to weep. The feeling was more intense than any pain he had ever felt.
The current pulled at him, tugging him up through the colors. His body trembled with pleasure. He wanted to speak, to yell, to tell the whole world that he was the most fortunate person in the universe. That he was loved by Elyon. Elyon himself.
"Never leave me, Billos."
"Never! I will never leave you."
The current pushed him through the water and then above the surface not ten meters from the shore. He stood on the sandy bottom. For a moment he had such clarity of mind that he was sure he could understand the very fabric of space if he put his mind to it.
He was chosen.