Start by marking “The Ice Cradle: A Novel from the Ghost Files” as Want to Read:
The Ice Cradle: A Novel from the Ghost Files

The Ice Cradle: A Novel from the Ghost Files

3.45 of 5 stars 3.45  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  27 reviews
Sleepy Block Island seems just the place for ghost whisperer Anza O’Malley to find some much-needed peace and quiet. But with troubled spirits dead set on making their voices heard, rest is in short supply!

February 1907, Block Island. Residents of this tiny Rhode Island community awaken to a scene of tragedy: During a midnight blizzard, a New York–bound steamer carrying 15
Published October 5th 2010 by Broadway Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Ice Cradle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ice Cradle

Kelly
Using the real-life Larchmont disaster as background, Mary Ann Winkowski and Maureen Foley tell the story of a modern woman, Anza, who travels to picturesque Block Island to assemble the records of the shipwreck into a cohesive whole. Anza also has the ability to see ghosts and help them cross over. When she arrives on the haunted island with her young son in tow, she finds plenty of lost souls in need of her talents and a contentious political battle over a proposed wind farm planned for the is ...more
Newengland
Who you gonna call? A ghost writer, I hope.

Anyway, this is the story of a ghost whisperer. If you think the Dog Whisperer is a fraud as I do, then you might find healthy competition here from Anza O'Malley, who is 1-800-Ghostcalled to Block Island (Rhode Island, for those who only know about Martha and her nearby Vineyard).

Anyway, Block is hopping with spirits -- pissed off spirits (hell hath no fury like...). Bad enough that their ship sank in 1907 while most of them were sleeping (some dream!)
Dave
“The Ice Cradle” is the second novel from “The Ghost Files”, a series of novels by Mary Ann Winkowski and Maureen Foley. These novels are about Anza O’Malley, who is a ghost whisperer that can see and speak with ghosts, and even has the ability to open a portal to allow them to cross over. Not too surprisingly, there is a lot in common with this type of story and the TV series “The Ghost Whisperer”, as Mary Ann Winkowski is a consultant for the series. I did not read the first book in the series ...more
Charlie
Fans of the hit TV series Ghost Whisperer will love The Ice Cradle. Mary Ann Winkowski is a consultant for the show and also the co-author of this incredible story. Ice Cradle has it all and without doubt covers several genres including: historical, paranormal, romance, political, environmental and mystery. It is also a clean read that is suitable for a broad range of ages. This is more than a paranormal investigation story. Thematically, it appeals to a reader on several levels. The historical ...more
Amy Corwin
This book probably deserves a better review from a different reviewer. As we all know, some books resonate with us and others do not, and it's not necessarily the fault of the writer.

In The Ice Cradle, Anza is a single mom, book binder, and ghost whisperer. She has the ability to see ghosts and help them cross-over to wherever it is they should go when they die.

Anza is overjoyed when she gets a call from the Block Island Historical Society. They have papers and memorabilia from the wreck of a st
Lee
I wanted to like this book, but found the multiple story threads far too distracting. It didn't help matters any that I couldn't bring myself to care about the heroine.
Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum
The Ice Cradle is the second in the Ghost Files series by authors Mary Ann Winkowski and Maureen Foley; the first being The Book of Illumination. Anza O'Malley and her son Henry return in this novel, when Anza accepts a bookbinding commission on a small island community, Block Island.

One of the elements I really like about this series is the main character's occupation of bookbinder. Weaved throughout the story are references to bookbinding techniques and materials that are irresistible to book
Corey
This novel follows the story of Anza, whom can see and communicate with ghosts as she travels with her son Henry to Block Island in Rhode Island to help put together a book on the Larchmont wreck which took place there in 1907.

I was intrigued by the novel's premise on Amazon and on the back of the book when I received it. I was worried though that it was lend itself to being too campy or overly done, as so many books are that deal with the supernatural. This novel however took me by surprise an
Kara
I received this book as part of the Amazon Vine program.

From the moment I began to read this book, I could not put it down. Anza is a single mother who works as a book binder. She is offered a job on Block Island to chronicle the history of the Larchmont disaster; a steamer than sank off the coast of RI killing almost 200 people. Anza also has the ability to see and speak to ghosts as well as opening the door for them to cross to the other side. This ability places her in the center of a violent
Cheryl
Anza O’Malley and her six year old son, Henry live in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Anza works at home as a book binder. While this job sounds interesting it does not pay much. So when Anza receives a telephone call from Caleb Wilder with the Historical Society, Anza is all ears. Caleb wants Anza to research a tragic accident that took place back in 1907.

There was a steamer called Larchmont that was traveling from Providence to New York City. The steamer crashed with a schooner, The Harry Knowlton.
Amy
I had a very hard time getting into this book. It could not hold my attention, then after about 50 pages or so It became a little easier to read then enjoyed it up until the corny ending. I wasn't expecting happily ever after. I m not sure if I will read the other books by this author. I am a fan of the Ghost Whisperer series though.
This book was a light, quick read. The reason I gave it 2 stars is because the storyline didn't build tension as it progressed, and at least for me personally, the authors failed to bring the characters to life in a believable way.
Anna Engel
Meh. Bored. The only reason I got nearly 100 pages into it was that public transportation crapped out on me and I had nothing better to read.
Xochilt
It was pretty slow going for most of the book which was good and bad. It was bad because I found myself not caring about Anza or her precocious toddler a lot. But it was good because sometimes a slower pace is much appreciated and I found myself fantasizing about staying in a bed & breakfast myself.
I found Bert pushy and annoying at first but by the end, their romance was touching.
I absolutely adored everyone else. Especially the ghosts.
It was a fine solid read. Can't complain too much. I
Heather Hnatko
This book sounded like a very interesting read. I thought it started off rather well, but about mid-way I lost a bit of interest when the main character seemed more interested in making out with the "cute boy" than the fact that she was trying to communicate with the local ghosts! It just seemed a bit far fetched for her to fall so quick for someone she just met and then she lost all interest in the whole reason I chose the book to begin with. I was quite disappointed with the ending as it just ...more
Kacy Jursa
Not the type of book that I usually read, but surprisingly I loved it.
Staggerlee337
An easy read. If it weren't for the gardening, I'd have read this in one sitting instead of 2. A cute little story. But I was a little disappointed that the landscape painted wasn't true to the island. It gave the indication that the wreck was at the Southeast Lighthouse, but the wind farm was actually installed at the North Light. The bar (The Pier?) and the B&B, and the pizza place... well, it didn't need to be so fictionalized. But to those who've never been there, no harm, no foul.
Darlene Ferland
I had never had this book on my radar and that's a shame! Mary Ann Winkowski has written a very interesting novel. I was glued to this book and was so sad when I reached the last page. The story is filled with ghosts from the sinking of the Larchmont off the coast of Block Island, Rhode Island. I can't wait to read her first book.
Ms. LaPorte
The main character is a book binder - what a fantasy job! That drew me in. This book is by a paranormal investigator who was the consultant for the CBS series "Ghost Whisperer." That was one of those shows on my viewing schedule.
The setting - Block Island off Rhode Island - I want to go.
A romance buds.
This book was a quick read about a single mother who goes to Block Island. Typical, she finds love, fights the "bad guys" oh and crosses over a few ghosts. I wanted to like this book more than I did, but overall it was a fast read just not what I was hoping it would be.
Mary
I loved this book. It has an engaging story and interesting characters, with mystery, suspense, and a bit of romance, all well-written and captivating. I didn't realize this was the second in a series; I can't wait to read the first book!
Virginia
Loved this ghost story - really want to find the 1st one now. Of course it's not in the stores. Great protagonist who is a historical preservationist who sees ghosts. Loved the premise. Great characters and very well written.
Tamara
Enjoyable read. Read it in one sitting. Not what I thought it would be and I wish a little more info had been given about the shipwreck itself from a historical perspective (not even sure if it was real) but otherwise fun!
Nickki
Enjoyable book. I didn't realize it was a second in the series at the time I purchased it but I didn't need the first book to follow this one. Quick read.
Kim
why most ghost stories be so predictable? this one was nothing but light fare, I am still looking for one that will captivate me.
Annie
This was like reading an episode of The Ghost Whisperer. A wonderful, quick read.
Beth Ann
VERY good so far ! I'm looking forward to the next book by these authors !!
Patricia Byrd
Patricia Byrd marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2015
Luci
Luci marked it as to-read
Jul 17, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Case Of The Mischievous Doll
  • Blood Roots
  • Seven Complete Nero Wolfe Novels (The Silent Speaker, Might As Well Be Dead / If Death Ever Slept / Three at Wolfe's Door / Gambit / Please Pass the Guilt/ A Family Affair)
  • When One Man Dies
  • Death Vows (Donald Strachey, #9)
  • More Beer
  • Dying in the Dark (Tamara Hayle, #7)
  • Troublemaker (Dave Brandstetter, #3)
  • More From the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency: Blue Shoes and Happiness / The Good Husband of Zebra Drive
  • Southern Ghost (Death on Demand, #8)
  • Selbs Mord (Selb, #3)
  • Chicago Lightning
  • Stolen Lives (Jade de Jong, #2)
  • A Dangerous Affair (Liberty Lane, #2)
  • Gift Collection: D is for Deadbeat / E is for Evidence / F is for Fugitive
A happily married, devout Catholic, suburban mother and full-time paranormal investigator, Mary Ann Winkowski has been able to see earthbound spirits, spirits that are trapped on earth and haven't "crossed over," since she was a little girl. Mary Ann works with these spirits to help them make peace with what keeps them here - whether it be people they can't let go of or homes they love. "
More about Mary Ann Winkowski...
When Ghosts Speak: Understanding the World of Earthbound Spirits The Book of Illumination: A Novel from the Ghost Files Beyond Delicious: The Ghost Whisperer's Cookbook: More than 100 Recipes from the Dearly Departed As Alive, So Dead: Investigating the Paranormal When Ghosts Speak