The Locavore's Handbook: The Busy Person's Guide to Eating Local on a Budget

The Locavore's Handbook: The Busy Person's Guide to Eating Local on a Budget

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  55 ratings  ·  14 reviews
These days, nearly everyone wants to eat green and local, but tight schedules and even tighter budgets can makeit seem like an unattainable goal.The Locavore's Handbook:The Busy Person's Guide to Eating Local on a Budget is here to help, as author Leda Meredith guides readers to incorporate locally grown foods into their own meals with practical, down-to-earth advice....more
Published April 1st 2010 by Lyons Press

willaful
Jul 04, 2011 willaful rated it 4 of 5 stars Recommends it for: locavores in the New York area
An excellent collection of ideas for people interested in eating local foods, but discouraged by common challenges such as money, time and space. Subjects include gardening, simple food preservation, cooking with odds and ends, foraging, and food storage. I particularly liked the information on making stock from leftover vegetable scraps, which is something I've been doing for awhile -- not only do I get free stock, but it saves trips to the compost pile.

I like the author's straightforward tone,...more
Heather
Leda Meredith, when she talks about eating local food, speaks from experience: in 2007-2008 she embarked on "The 250": a year of eating, "almost exclusively foods grown or raised within a 250-mile radius" of her apartment (1).

Reassuringly, part of Meredith's point in this book is that eating locally doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing proposition: according to a quote from Eating Well Magazine that she includes in the book, "Buying 25% of your groceries from local farmers of a year lowers your...more
Marsha
Ms. Meredith wanted to get away from it all, to live close to the soil, live pure, clean and healthy. However, as a city woman, she didn’t really want to go back to the farm. So she did the next best thing: she started questioning where her food was coming from and where her grocery money was going. Besides getting some rather disturbing answers, she came up with solutions, viable ones for the city dweller and suburbanite alike.

Within this book are stories about getting involved with the neighb...more
Robin
This was an excellent book to guide me into my future of a much more natural and local diet. I'm not as hard core as the author, but with baby steps I may someday get there. If you think it's too hard to try, you should read this book.

It's got some great recipes and practical advice for storing all the produce that's so plentiful in the summer, but nowhere to be found in the winter.

I can't wait for Spring to roll around so I can really delve into this more. And when the dandelions come around...more
Someone new to living sustainably would probably rate this book with more stars than I did. I'm not trying to come across as eco-girl, but tips like "carry a cloth re-usable bag!" aren't really rocking my world these days.

To sum up: eat seasonal ingredients. Cook. Support your local Farmers Markets. Look for local CSA's. Avoid excess packaging. etc. etc.
Desiree
good if you really don't know where to start or you live in the NYC area. a few tips i didn't know about food preservation were helpful but otherwise much of the same material as omnivore's dilemma. not bad by any means, despite an occurrence of "at it's best" (cringe!), but better if you live near where she does, which they don't specify in the title or subtitle.
Dani
This book is a good primer for someone considering the locavore lifestyle for the first time. If you have been doing a bit of research on your own already, you may not find anything new here. The author attempts to talk in generalities, but because she is a New Yorker there is a slight bias toward how CSAs and things work in her area.
Alissa
May 12, 2010 Alissa rated it 2 of 5 stars Recommends it for: people in New England looking to eat locally
good simple tips, short description of author’s 250 project, includes some simple recipes. Like the “If you do just one thing” tip at the end of each chapter.
A little frustrated that most of the tips are geared to people who live in the Northeast/New York State area.
Karyn
Ms. Meredith's seasonal food use/storage and (especially) food preservation tips are a huge help in dealing with our CSA bounty! This is my recommendation of the summer, especially for fellow CSA members or folks lucky enough to be trying out their own gardens.
Dawna
Awesome, practical handbook. Except that she seems to assume all her readers live in NYC (it makes me jealous all the resource they have at their fingertips.) I am inspired! Baby steps.
Trishtator
Tips on how to handle whole foods if you are busy, live in a small space, and want to save money. Oh, and I just love reading about people who do a local food challenge.
Julia
A fantastic help for locavores in the North Eastern U.S., don't bother buying it if your climate is unlike ours. Always worth renting from the library, though!
Jenny
There were some useful information, but I thought the author's tone was a bit "holier than thou."
Susie
A very practical and easy read.
Carolyn
Carolyn marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2014
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Apr 05, 2014
Shannon Mccabe
Shannon Mccabe marked it as to-read
Apr 01, 2014
Amanda
Amanda added it
Mar 20, 2014
Mhonis
Mhonis marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2014
Amanda Ropp
Amanda Ropp marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Alicia
Alicia marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2014
Khris Richardson
Khris Richardson marked it as to-read
Feb 20, 2014
Brigid
Brigid marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Justin
Justin marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2014
Melissa Gans
Melissa Gans marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Michonne
Michonne marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2014
Jessica
Jessica marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2014
Natalie Sicroff
Natalie Sicroff marked it as to-read
Jan 05, 2014
viola
viola marked it as to-read
Dec 02, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Botany, Ballet & Dinner from Scratch: A Memoir with Recipes Northeast Foraging: 120 Wild and Flavorful Edibles from Beach Plums to Wineberries Pacific Northwest Foraging: 120 Wild and Flavorful Edibles from Alaska Blueberries to Wild Hazelnuts Preserving Everything: Can, Culture, Pickle, Freeze, Ferment, Dehydrate, Salt, Smoke, and Store Fruits, Vegetables, Meat, Milk, and More