Start by marking “The Locavore's Handbook: The Busy Person's Guide to Eating Local on a Budget” as Want to Read:
The Locavore's Handbook: The Busy Person's Guide to Eating Local on a Budget

The Locavore's Handbook: The Busy Person's Guide to Eating Local on a Budget

3.68  ·  Rating Details  ·  71 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
These days, nearly everyone wants to eat green and local, but tight schedules and even tighter budgets can makeit seem like an unattainable goal.The Locavore's Handbook:The Busy Person's Guide to Eating Local on a Budget is here to help, as author Leda Meredith guides readers to incorporate locally grown foods into their own meals with practical, down-to-earth advice. ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Lyons Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Locavore's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Locavore's Handbook

willaful
Jul 04, 2011 willaful rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: locavores in the New York area
An excellent collection of ideas for people interested in eating local foods, but discouraged by common challenges such as money, time and space. Subjects include gardening, simple food preservation, cooking with odds and ends, foraging, and food storage. I particularly liked the information on making stock from leftover vegetable scraps, which is something I've been doing for awhile -- not only do I get free stock, but it saves trips to the compost pile.

I like the author's straightforward tone,
Christine Kuhn
Oct 29, 2014 Christine Kuhn rated it it was amazing
This is a very practical, hands-on guide to actually eating locally sourced foods! Many of the other local-food books are a memoir of the experiments of the author, intended to inspire you towards eating local. That's all well and good, but most of the time those authors are not only getting paid to do this (because hey....they're journalists!) but they are also upper-middle class citizens with a good background knowledge in food systems and culinary or nutrition studies. So yeah, I may be inspi ...more
Heather
Aug 22, 2010 Heather rated it liked it
Leda Meredith, when she talks about eating local food, speaks from experience: in 2007-2008 she embarked on "The 250": a year of eating, "almost exclusively foods grown or raised within a 250-mile radius" of her apartment (1).

Reassuringly, part of Meredith's point in this book is that eating locally doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing proposition: according to a quote from Eating Well Magazine that she includes in the book, "Buying 25% of your groceries from local farmers of a year lowers your
Marsha
Ms. Meredith wanted to get away from it all, to live close to the soil, live pure, clean and healthy. However, as a city woman, she didn’t really want to go back to the farm. So she did the next best thing: she started questioning where her food was coming from and where her grocery money was going. Besides getting some rather disturbing answers, she came up with solutions, viable ones for the city dweller and suburbanite alike.

Within this book are stories about getting involved with the neighb
Robin
Dec 29, 2010 Robin rated it really liked it
This was an excellent book to guide me into my future of a much more natural and local diet. I'm not as hard core as the author, but with baby steps I may someday get there. If you think it's too hard to try, you should read this book.

It's got some great recipes and practical advice for storing all the produce that's so plentiful in the summer, but nowhere to be found in the winter.

I can't wait for Spring to roll around so I can really delve into this more. And when the dandelions come around
Jan 18, 2011 Jennifer rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2011
Someone new to living sustainably would probably rate this book with more stars than I did. I'm not trying to come across as eco-girl, but tips like "carry a cloth re-usable bag!" aren't really rocking my world these days.

To sum up: eat seasonal ingredients. Cook. Support your local Farmers Markets. Look for local CSA's. Avoid excess packaging. etc. etc.
Desiree
Oct 29, 2010 Desiree rated it liked it
good if you really don't know where to start or you live in the NYC area. a few tips i didn't know about food preservation were helpful but otherwise much of the same material as omnivore's dilemma. not bad by any means, despite an occurrence of "at it's best" (cringe!), but better if you live near where she does, which they don't specify in the title or subtitle.
Dani
Feb 28, 2012 Dani rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
This book is a good primer for someone considering the locavore lifestyle for the first time. If you have been doing a bit of research on your own already, you may not find anything new here. The author attempts to talk in generalities, but because she is a New Yorker there is a slight bias toward how CSAs and things work in her area.
Alissa
May 12, 2010 Alissa rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people in New England looking to eat locally
good simple tips, short description of author’s 250 project, includes some simple recipes. Like the “If you do just one thing” tip at the end of each chapter.
A little frustrated that most of the tips are geared to people who live in the Northeast/New York State area.
Karyn
Jul 04, 2011 Karyn rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Ms. Meredith's seasonal food use/storage and (especially) food preservation tips are a huge help in dealing with our CSA bounty! This is my recommendation of the summer, especially for fellow CSA members or folks lucky enough to be trying out their own gardens.
Dawna
May 31, 2010 Dawna rated it really liked it
Awesome, practical handbook. Except that she seems to assume all her readers live in NYC (it makes me jealous all the resource they have at their fingertips.) I am inspired! Baby steps.
Trishtator
Sep 09, 2011 Trishtator rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
Tips on how to handle whole foods if you are busy, live in a small space, and want to save money. Oh, and I just love reading about people who do a local food challenge.
Tara Choate
May 26, 2014 Tara Choate rated it it was ok
I was hoping for a little bit more personal and engaging book. Instead, it has a lot of great information, but not a lot of heart. Okay is a good summary.
Julia
Aug 01, 2010 Julia rated it it was amazing
A fantastic help for locavores in the North Eastern U.S., don't bother buying it if your climate is unlike ours. Always worth renting from the library, though!
Jenny
Jul 30, 2011 Jenny rated it it was ok
There were some useful information, but I thought the author's tone was a bit "holier than thou."
Susie
Sep 17, 2010 Susie rated it it was amazing
A very practical and easy read.
Elizabeth
Elizabeth is currently reading it
Feb 03, 2016
Karla Bledsoe
Karla Bledsoe marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Jennie Stoltz
Jennie Stoltz marked it as to-read
Jan 29, 2016
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2016
Carrie Niemi
Carrie Niemi marked it as to-read
Nov 27, 2015
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez
Cecilia Dunbar Hernandez rated it it was amazing
Nov 19, 2015
Lucy Cheadle
Lucy Cheadle rated it really liked it
Oct 16, 2015
Kristy
Kristy marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Tracie Runnels
Tracie Runnels marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2015
Nora
Nora rated it it was amazing
Oct 02, 2015
Nova
Nova added it
Sep 28, 2015
Megan Lynn
Megan Lynn marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2015
Leah
Leah added it
Aug 25, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Locavore Way: Discover and Enjoy the Pleasures of Locally Grown Food
  • The Revolution Will Not Be Microwaved: Inside America's Underground Food Movements
  • Local Flavors: Cooking and Eating from America's Farmers' Markets
  • In the Green Kitchen: Techniques to Learn by Heart
  • Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef
  • Real Food Fermentation: Preserving Whole Fresh Food with Live Cultures in Your Home Kitchen
  • The Conscious Kitchen: The New Way to Buy and Cook Food - to Protect the Earth, Improve Your Health, and Eat Deliciously
  • Homegrown Whole Grains: Grow, Harvest, and Cook Wheat, Barley, Oats, Rice, Corn and More
  • Cooking in the Moment: A Year of Seasonal Recipes
  • Sugar Snaps and Strawberries: Simple Solutions for Creating Your Own Small-Space Edible Garden
  • Urban Pantry: Tips and Recipes for a Thrifty, Sustainable and Seasonal Kitchen
  • Cook Food: A Manualfesto for Easy, Healthy, Local Eating