Start by marking “The Locavore's Handbook: The Busy Person's Guide to Eating Local on a Budget” as Want to Read:
The Locavore's Handbook: The Busy Person's Guide to Eating Local on a Budget

The Locavore's Handbook: The Busy Person's Guide to Eating Local on a Budget

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  60 ratings  ·  16 reviews
These days, nearly everyone wants to eat green and local, but tight schedules and even tighter budgets can makeit seem like an unattainable goal.The Locavore's Handbook:The Busy Person's Guide to Eating Local on a Budget is here to help, as author Leda Meredith guides readers to incorporate locally grown foods into their own meals with practical, down-to-earth advice. ...more
Published April 1st 2010 by Lyons Press (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Locavore's Handbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Locavore's Handbook

willaful
Jul 04, 2011 willaful rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: locavores in the New York area
An excellent collection of ideas for people interested in eating local foods, but discouraged by common challenges such as money, time and space. Subjects include gardening, simple food preservation, cooking with odds and ends, foraging, and food storage. I particularly liked the information on making stock from leftover vegetable scraps, which is something I've been doing for awhile -- not only do I get free stock, but it saves trips to the compost pile.

I like the author's straightforward tone,
Christine Kuhn
This is a very practical, hands-on guide to actually eating locally sourced foods! Many of the other local-food books are a memoir of the experiments of the author, intended to inspire you towards eating local. That's all well and good, but most of the time those authors are not only getting paid to do this (because hey....they're journalists!) but they are also upper-middle class citizens with a good background knowledge in food systems and culinary or nutrition studies. So yeah, I may be inspi ...more
Heather
Leda Meredith, when she talks about eating local food, speaks from experience: in 2007-2008 she embarked on "The 250": a year of eating, "almost exclusively foods grown or raised within a 250-mile radius" of her apartment (1).

Reassuringly, part of Meredith's point in this book is that eating locally doesn't have to be an all-or-nothing proposition: according to a quote from Eating Well Magazine that she includes in the book, "Buying 25% of your groceries from local farmers of a year lowers your
Marsha
Ms. Meredith wanted to get away from it all, to live close to the soil, live pure, clean and healthy. However, as a city woman, she didn’t really want to go back to the farm. So she did the next best thing: she started questioning where her food was coming from and where her grocery money was going. Besides getting some rather disturbing answers, she came up with solutions, viable ones for the city dweller and suburbanite alike.

Within this book are stories about getting involved with the neighb
Robin
This was an excellent book to guide me into my future of a much more natural and local diet. I'm not as hard core as the author, but with baby steps I may someday get there. If you think it's too hard to try, you should read this book.

It's got some great recipes and practical advice for storing all the produce that's so plentiful in the summer, but nowhere to be found in the winter.

I can't wait for Spring to roll around so I can really delve into this more. And when the dandelions come around
Someone new to living sustainably would probably rate this book with more stars than I did. I'm not trying to come across as eco-girl, but tips like "carry a cloth re-usable bag!" aren't really rocking my world these days.

To sum up: eat seasonal ingredients. Cook. Support your local Farmers Markets. Look for local CSA's. Avoid excess packaging. etc. etc.
Desiree
good if you really don't know where to start or you live in the NYC area. a few tips i didn't know about food preservation were helpful but otherwise much of the same material as omnivore's dilemma. not bad by any means, despite an occurrence of "at it's best" (cringe!), but better if you live near where she does, which they don't specify in the title or subtitle.
Dani
This book is a good primer for someone considering the locavore lifestyle for the first time. If you have been doing a bit of research on your own already, you may not find anything new here. The author attempts to talk in generalities, but because she is a New Yorker there is a slight bias toward how CSAs and things work in her area.
Alissa
May 12, 2010 Alissa rated it 2 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: people in New England looking to eat locally
good simple tips, short description of author’s 250 project, includes some simple recipes. Like the “If you do just one thing” tip at the end of each chapter.
A little frustrated that most of the tips are geared to people who live in the Northeast/New York State area.
Karyn
Ms. Meredith's seasonal food use/storage and (especially) food preservation tips are a huge help in dealing with our CSA bounty! This is my recommendation of the summer, especially for fellow CSA members or folks lucky enough to be trying out their own gardens.
Dawna
Awesome, practical handbook. Except that she seems to assume all her readers live in NYC (it makes me jealous all the resource they have at their fingertips.) I am inspired! Baby steps.
Trishtator
Tips on how to handle whole foods if you are busy, live in a small space, and want to save money. Oh, and I just love reading about people who do a local food challenge.
Tara Choate
I was hoping for a little bit more personal and engaging book. Instead, it has a lot of great information, but not a lot of heart. Okay is a good summary.
Julia
A fantastic help for locavores in the North Eastern U.S., don't bother buying it if your climate is unlike ours. Always worth renting from the library, though!
Jenny
There were some useful information, but I thought the author's tone was a bit "holier than thou."
Susie
A very practical and easy read.
Leanna Manuel
Leanna Manuel marked it as to-read
Nov 19, 2014
Tara Outman
Tara Outman marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Jenna
Jenna added it
Oct 26, 2014
Tana
Tana marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Ruth Howell
Ruth Howell marked it as to-read
Sep 11, 2014
Karen
Karen marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Heather Pavlu
Heather Pavlu marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Aug 21, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Locavore Way: Discover and Enjoy the Pleasures of Locally Grown Food
  • Gluten-Free Girl and the Chef
  • The Art of Fermentation: An in-Depth Exploration of Essential Concepts and Processes from Around the World
  • Local Flavors: Cooking and Eating from America's Farmers' Markets
  • Urban Pantry: Tips and Recipes for a Thrifty, Sustainable and Seasonal Kitchen
  • Cook Food: A Manualfesto for Easy, Healthy, Local Eating
  • In the Green Kitchen: Techniques to Learn by Heart
  • Cooking in the Moment: A Year of Seasonal Recipes
  • Real Food Fermentation: Preserving Whole Fresh Food with Live Cultures in Your Home Kitchen
  • The Conscious Kitchen: The New Way to Buy and Cook Food - to Protect the Earth, Improve Your Health, and Eat Deliciously
  • Homegrown Whole Grains: Grow, Harvest, and Cook Wheat, Barley, Oats, Rice, Corn and More
  • Home Dairy with Ashley English: All You Need to Know to Make Cheese, Yogurt, Butter & More
  • Coming Home to Eat: The Pleasures and Politics of Local Foods
  • The New Whole Foods Encyclopedia: A Comprehensive Resource for Healthy Eating
  • The Town That Food Saved: How One Community Found Vitality in Local Food
  • Sugar Snaps and Strawberries: Simple Solutions for Creating Your Own Small-Space Edible Garden
  • Food Network Magazine Great Easy Meals: 250 Delicious Recipes for the Whole Family
  • Bones: Recipes, History, and Lore
Northeast Foraging: 120 wild and flavorful edibles from beach plums to wineberries Botany, Ballet & Dinner from Scratch: A Memoir with Recipes Pacific Northwest Foraging: 120 wild and flavorful edibles from Alaska blueberries to wild hazelnuts Preserving Everything: How to Can, Culture, Pickle, Freeze, Ferment, Dehydrate, Salt, Smoke, and Store Fruits, Vegetables, Meat, Milk, and More