Start by marking “You Can Do a Graphic Novel” as Want to Read:
You Can Do a Graphic Novel

You Can Do a Graphic Novel

Get that story out of your head and onto paper!

A guide to creating graphic novels- presented in the form of a graphic novel- from a veteran in the field!

In You Can Do a Graphic Novel, Barbara Slate guides aspiring graphic novelists through the same process she learned in her early days working for Marvel and DC Comics-a process she has simplified for the classes she te
Published January 5th 2010 by Alpha

To ask other readers questions about You Can Do a Graphic Novel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about You Can Do a Graphic Novel

Greg Allan Holcomb
Sep 09, 2010 Greg Allan Holcomb rated it liked it
Years ago I read a bunch of How-To Do Comics books, most of those were a rip-off.

This book is good. I'm debating buying a copy or memorizing where it is in the Library. (Currently it's in the Newest book section.) It's not as good as Lurene Haines' books on the Business of Comics, but it is helpful. This won't be the among the first coupla books I recommend for Comics How-To, But it'll be at the top of the next handful.

I hope a lot of people take this one out of the Libury (Library +Simsbury)
Devyn Duffy
Nov 09, 2016 Devyn Duffy rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone getting started in storytelling
Recommended to Devyn by: the author; I attended her panel at a comic convention
A good introduction to generating ideas, building your confidence, plotting and creating a story, laying out and drawing a graphic novel or comic book, and making connections in the industry. It's a quick read in a graphic style with personal examples and encouragement from the author. As you can tell by the title, the book is aimed toward aspiring comic writers and artists, but it is also useful for readers and for creators of fiction in other forms.

I bought my copy from the author herself when
Mycala
Jan 03, 2014 Mycala rated it it was ok
This book was alright. It's pretty simplistic -- I was surprised that the reviews are so over-the-top on Amazon. Of course, it is geared towards 7th grade and up but honestly, this might have appealed to me when I was 7 or 8. By the time I was in 7th grade I would have found it ever so slightly condescending. The writer seems to assume that the majority of graphic novels are made-up stories, but she does throw in Harvey Pekar's American Splendor. Granted, the term "graphic novel" does imply fict ...more
Freda Mans-Labianca
Jun 10, 2011 Freda Mans-Labianca rated it it was amazing
Shelves: how-to
This book may have been designed to help you create graphic novels or comic books, but the information inside is relevant to writing in general. Most of the tips and tools can be applied to any form of writing, as a basic guideline to follow to create a fantastic and entertaining story.
It even helps you deal with "writer's block".
So a very useful book indeed!
Asenath
I don't really know how to rate this book, since I've never read any other books about making your own graphic novel. I really liked how she broke everything up into easy steps. I really liked her advice on writing-she had some different approaches that I plan to implement into my Creative Writing class.
Christopher Obert
Mar 27, 2012 Christopher Obert rated it liked it
Shelves: read-2012
A great book on creating a Graphic Novel. The book gives many helpful suggestions and uses many images to illustrate these ideas. The text is light hearted but gives serious attention to the goal of creating a well thought out graphic novel. A fine addition to any creative person’s library.
Laura Cushing
May 31, 2012 Laura Cushing rated it really liked it
A good quick introduction to graphic noveling. The illustrations are cute and topical, and it's easy to get into.
Christian McKay
Apr 14, 2010 Christian McKay rated it did not like it
This is one of those moments.

If only I could give this a zero!
Olivia Arrow
Jun 14, 2012 Olivia Arrow rated it really liked it
It's a really cute book for young people, but there's definitely something to be gained by readers of any age. I liked how simply it went through all the information.
Debra
Debra rated it really liked it
May 25, 2013
PolkaDot0023
PolkaDot0023 rated it liked it
Feb 28, 2015
Harris
Harris rated it really liked it
Mar 14, 2011
Jason
Jason rated it liked it
Sep 21, 2010
Benjamin Buckley
Benjamin Buckley rated it it was ok
Sep 19, 2015
Melanie Okadigwe
Melanie Okadigwe rated it really liked it
Nov 26, 2014
Jennifer rated it liked it
Jan 20, 2015
Melissa
Melissa rated it liked it
Sep 09, 2010
Eric Lee
Eric Lee rated it it was ok
Dec 06, 2014
Margo
Margo rated it liked it
Jun 11, 2014
Teena Brown
Teena Brown rated it liked it
Feb 21, 2014
Mandy
Mandy rated it really liked it
Sep 12, 2013
Grace
Grace rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Bears Library
Bears Library rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2011
Len
Len rated it it was ok
May 27, 2011
Ian Rose
Ian Rose rated it it was amazing
Aug 12, 2012
Rosi
Rosi rated it really liked it
Oct 30, 2013
Brian Carnell
Brian Carnell rated it it was amazing
May 04, 2012
Neal C
Neal C rated it it was amazing
May 20, 2017
Jen
Jen rated it liked it
Sep 19, 2016
Jeanetta
Jeanetta rated it liked it
May 23, 2010