You Can Do a Graphic Novel

You Can Do a Graphic Novel

3.33 of 5 stars 3.33  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Get that story out of your head and onto paper!

A guide to creating graphic novels- presented in the form of a graphic novel- from a veteran in the field!

In You Can Do a Graphic Novel, Barbara Slate guides aspiring graphic novelists through the same process she learned in her early days working for Marvel and DC Comics-a process she has simplified for the classes she te...more
Published January 5th 2010 by Alpha

Greg Allan Holcomb
Years ago I read a bunch of How-To Do Comics books, most of those were a rip-off.

This book is good. I'm debating buying a copy or memorizing where it is in the Library. (Currently it's in the Newest book section.) It's not as good as Lurene Haines' books on the Business of Comics, but it is helpful. This won't be the among the first coupla books I recommend for Comics How-To, But it'll be at the top of the next handful.

I hope a lot of people take this one out of the Libury (Library +Simsbury)...more
Mycala
This book was alright. It's pretty simplistic -- I was surprised that the reviews are so over-the-top on Amazon. Of course, it is geared towards 7th grade and up but honestly, this might have appealed to me when I was 7 or 8. By the time I was in 7th grade I would have found it ever so slightly condescending. The writer seems to assume that the majority of graphic novels are made-up stories, but she does throw in Harvey Pekar's American Splendor. Granted, the term "graphic novel" does imply fict...more
Freda mans
This book may have been designed to help you create graphic novels or comic books, but the information inside is relevant to writing in general. Most of the tips and tools can be applied to any form of writing, as a basic guideline to follow to create a fantastic and entertaining story.
It even helps you deal with "writer's block".
So a very useful book indeed!
Asenath
I don't really know how to rate this book, since I've never read any other books about making your own graphic novel. I really liked how she broke everything up into easy steps. I really liked her advice on writing-she had some different approaches that I plan to implement into my Creative Writing class.
Christopher Obert
A great book on creating a Graphic Novel. The book gives many helpful suggestions and uses many images to illustrate these ideas. The text is light hearted but gives serious attention to the goal of creating a well thought out graphic novel. A fine addition to any creative person’s library.
Olivia Arrow
It's a really cute book for young people, but there's definitely something to be gained by readers of any age. I liked how simply it went through all the information.
Laura Cushing
A good quick introduction to graphic noveling. The illustrations are cute and topical, and it's easy to get into.
Shivering William
This is one of those moments.

If only I could give this a zero!
Camden
Camden added it
Jun 23, 2014
Kassie
Kassie added it
Jun 25, 2014
Crystal Johnson
Crystal Johnson marked it as to-read
May 10, 2014
Haikukat
Haikukat is currently reading it
May 10, 2014
Angus
Angus marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2014
Casey
Casey added it
Apr 21, 2014
Susana Carroll
Susana Carroll is currently reading it
Feb 04, 2014
Lucía
Lucía added it
Dec 18, 2013
Olivia
Olivia marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2013
Arhan2000
Arhan2000 marked it as to-read
Jan 16, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Getting Married and Other Mistakes Very Busy Barbie (A Little Golden Book) Barbie The Big Splash (Little Golden Book) Son of yuppies from hell (Marvel comics) Sex, Lies, and Mutual Funds of the Yuppies from Hell