Blank-133x176
Jane on Her Own

Ursula K. Le Guin

Jane on Her Own (Catwings #4)

4.11 of 5 stars 4.11  ·  rating details  ·  628 ratings  ·  39 reviews
When Jane, a cat with wings, leaves the safety of her farm to explore the world, she falls into the hands of a man who keeps her prisoner and exploits her for money. Full-color illustrations.
48 pages
Published by Turtleback Books (first published 1999)

Roberta
Jane, the baby of the Catwing family, finds that the world outside the farm where she was born, is full of dangers. In the big city, she is cat-napped by someone who wants to capitalize on her flying talents and make big money on television. One of Jane's wise quotes is, "Being different is difficult and sometimes very dangerous." This is the 4th and final book of Le Guin Catwings books, with a reading level of grades 2-4, and delight enough for adult cat lovers.
Nikki
Jane On Her Own is about the youngest Catwing. I think I like her best; she's adventurous and knows what she wants and doesn't just get somewhere safe and stay there. And it's nice to see her going back and seeing her mother. Again, lovely illustrations and a nice sweet little read.
Sara
omg, i love this story and i don't care how short it is. the illistrations are magnificent and it's about time that someone acctualy put a cat with wings into a story. i mean, cats and wings, shouldn't that be a "no duh"?
Jessica
Title: Jane on Her Own: a Catwings Tale (Animal Fantasy)

Author: Ursula K. LeGuin
Pages: 48
Publisher: Orchard Books, New York
Copyright: 1999
Illustrator: S. D. Schindler
Distinguishing Artistic Features: Pen and ink drawings and wash.

This is the fourth and final book of the Catwings series. The series read in order would be:
Catwings
Catwings return
Wonderful Alexander and the Catwings and finally,

Jane on Her Own: a Catwings Tale

Setting: A farm and the city.
Characters:(Major) Jane, the baby of the catw...more
Sarah Sammis
When I read Catwings Return, Jane the kitten was my favorite character. OK, second favorite, since I have to be partial to a flying cat named Harriet. So I was curious to read Jane on Her Own by Ursula K. Le Guin.

In Jane on Her Own, Jane just doesn't fit in at the farm. She's restless, nervous and skittish. She decides to return to the city of her birth to face her fears and find her forever home.

In the City she finds a new life as "Miss Mystery." The book blurb says the man she lives with "keep...more
Dolly
Feb 27, 2011 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We are now finished with the four book series, Catwings by Ursula K. Le Guin. We really enjoyed this entire series and for every one of these books, our girls would insist that we read the whole book at one time. Considering the length of the stories, it tells me that they were very interested. I think that the story ended nicely and was a good finish to the series, although we wouldn't have minded if there were more...
Sydney
Jun 11, 2014 Sydney rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Little animal lovers
I read this series when I was really little. But I absolutely loved cats back then (well, I still do!) and for me this was just about the best series ever. If I looked back and read it now, I'd probably finish it in 20 minutes and think it was pretty boring. But if you know someone who is just beginning to read short chapter books and they love animals, give them a book from this series and they will just eat it up! ;)
Wendy ~M/M Junkie~
Jane flies off on her own one day and befriends a man. But he wants to use her to make money. He has her filmed and keeps her locked inside. This is definately not a life for a cat with wings!

My thoughts: I read this book with my son and we both enjoyed it. It is book four of the series and each one is a good childrens story. Its unique storyline makes it fun to read. I would definately recomend this title and series.
Indira
If you've ever read Ursula k.Le Guin's 'Left Hand of Darkness' you have some idea of her writing. Catwings is a children's book but I read it before giving to the child in mind. And just noticed there's a series. Fun! I would read them all. Quirky and bends the mind in ways I like. Besides I have an affinity for wings, though usually on angels.
Lizzie
I picked up this book because it looked like my cat on the front cover. Did not know this is a series book but dived in anyway. I loved the little story and the graphics. However, unlikely to read the other books but I could see how this would be a hit with children, especially reading out loud to them.
Christopher Obert
A cute little story about a cat with wings that wants to spread those wings and explore the world. The illustrations are pleasant and enhance the book nicely. This is book four in a series of books all devoted to a group of cats with wings. Having read this book I would like to read the others.
Kimberly
Jul 19, 2008 Kimberly rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Children who like animals and cats
My #2 son is in love with this series! And he really enjoyed Jane finding a new friend, but worried about he when he closed the window and didn't let her out. He is now watching the cats we see closely to see if one might have wings! This is a great series for young children!
Vicky
I literally loved the Catwings books to death when I was growing up, out of the three books I had only one is still alive. They're fun, whimsical adventures for young kids just learning to read.

My future children will definitely have a set of these books on their shelves!
Alison Strumbeck
Skipped the 3rd because it was check out at the library. I'm interested to see how that compares to the others, but this one is really quite fascinating. It's the most different of the stories. It had a sad undertone but was still really good.
Audrey H
jane is on her own, she has just learned how to talk. she sets off into the city, to explore this world. she thinks she could find treasures, though she can't. join her on this exploration journey, maybe she could find a gem, we'll see!
Christopher
Jane returns to the city and revels in new adventure. There is probably something in here about true freedom versus the apparent freedom of novelty.

Me, have more of an idea of this book as the origin story for a superhero.
Jim
maybe i'm reading to much into this series, but it sure seems like they'd be good to read to/with a kid w/cancer, bum leg, aspergers - anything that makes them stick out and be/feel threatened by school and the world.
Amy
Bea liked this but said it would be pretty sad to have a cat run away from you.

Have I mentioned how wonderful the illustrations in this series are?

I am sad this is the last one.
Tatiana
Jane is my favorite Catwing. She's beautiful, daring, fragile, incredibly strong, young, tragic, sweet, and I love her. This is the story of Jane on her own. Read it. It's good.
Hilary
The only thing wrong with this series is that this is the final volume. "Purr"-haps Ursula LeGuin will relent and will continue the series with another volume.
Jill
Ursula K. Le Guin was recommended by a friend and I picked up this book without looking at it. It's a book about a cat with wings, but still endearing for what it is.
Hilary
Jul 21, 2009 Hilary marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bedtime-books
When I taught 2nd grade, they ate these books up. I'm looking for something fun to read to the girls before bed, so I think this would be great for them!
The Rock
Jane decided to go on an adventure because she thought the farm was to boring .
Jane decided to go on an adventure because she
Julie
Apr 11, 2008 Julie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cat lovers, and kids in general.
The fourth of the Catwings series. It has a cute story and wonderfully detailed illustrations. A great early-level chapter book.
Marianna Monaco
One of Ursula Le Guin's catwings series.
Delightful. Who wouldn't like a cat with wings? Wonderful illustrations.
Ron Christiansen
A pretty traditional tale, not as good as I'd hoped with Le Guin as the author, but fun and very short.
Kim
Gentle tale of kitties with wings. Perfect for the K or 1st grade chapter book reader. #4 in series.
Sara
There's a bit of redemption for humans and the city in this last Catwings book. So cute!
'jean
I think it is worthwhile for kids. A good story about freedom.
  • The Dragons of Blueland (My Father's Dragon, #3)
  • Three Samurai Cats: A Story from Japan
  • Living Sunlight: How Plants Bring The Earth To Life
  • Hamster Magic (Magical Mix-Ups, #1)
  • The Irish Cinderlad
  • The Sands of Time (The Hermux Tantamoq Adventures, #2)
  • The Mystery of the Monkey House (Cam Jansen Mysteries, #10)
  • Ray Bradbury's Something Wicked This Way Comes: The Authorized Adaptation
  • Mr. Putter & Tabby Pour the Tea
  • The Devious Book for Cats: A Parody
  • Ollie's Halloween
  • Jacob Wonderbar and the Cosmic Space Kapow (Jacob Wonderbar, #1)
  • Frankie Pickle and the Mathematical Menace
  • The Golden Wasp (The Secrets of Droon, #8)
  • Koko's Kitten
  • Return to Howliday Inn (Bunnicula, #5)
  • The Whingdingdilly
  • The Return of Zita the Spacegirl (Zita the Spacegirl, #3)
As of 2013, Ursula K. Le Guin has published twenty-two novels, eleven volumes of short stories, four collections of essays, twelve books for children, six volumes of poetry and four of translation, and has received many awards: Hugo, Nebula, National Book Award, PEN-Malamud, etc. Her recent publications include the novel Lavinia, an essay collection, Cheek by Jowl, and The Wild Girls. Forthcoming...more
More about Ursula K. Le Guin...
A Wizard of Earthsea (Earthsea Cycle, #1) The Tombs of Atuan (Earthsea Cycle, #2) The Farthest Shore (Earthsea Cycle, #3) The Left Hand of Darkness (Hainish Cycle, #4) The Dispossessed (Hainish Cycle, #5)