Start by marking “Tender Savage” as Want to Read:
Tender Savage

Tender Savage

3.70  ·  Rating Details  ·  456 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
Lara Clavel has come to the Caribbean prepared to risk her life to free Ricardo Lazaro, legendary poet-warrior and rebel leader. Once in his cramped cell, she feels a savage desire to be possessed by him, and Ricardo is trapped by circumstance into taking all that this golden angel offers.
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published April 27th 2010 by AudioGO (first published September 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about Tender Savage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tender Savage

Karla
Aug 28, 2016 Karla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75 stars!
Jenny
Hero is a rebel leader and heroine a fierce young girl who embroils herself in a plot to help the legendary leader escape. She ends up in his jail cell as bait and while in prison they fall in love.

Ricardo is a very noble man but he can't resist sweet Lara. He takes her virginity and despite her reservations she falls for him. Ricardo wants her forever but when he realizes that Lara may lose her life because of him he sends her away without realizing that Lara is pregnant.

Cheesy, romantic, pas
Zeek
Re-read 2015
Despite the cheesy 80’s title and cover, this is one of my go-to’s. (The original unrevised version). It’s an old category romance, but I’ve re-read it hundreds of times and it never disappoints. (Often a snippet of it will come to mind and I find myself helpless to go to it yet again. I’m serious, it has that much a pull on me.)

Ricardo Lazaro , poet and rebel leader is looking to bring democracy to his tiny country. But the regime in charge have caught and imprisoned him to stop it.
Maura
Annette
Totally predictable. A quick read for in between the serious stuff. This story was so unbelievable but that's what so fun about books like this. You know it's implausible but you keep reading anyway. Naive American girl goes to foreign country to offer her help in rescuing the leader of the local revolution so he can tell her already injured twin brother he is no longer needed to help fight for the cause. How stupid. I'm sorry , you'll just have to read this story for yourself. It is so predicta ...more
Regan Walker
Aug 12, 2012 Regan Walker rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: exotic-locale
Tender Romance From the Caribbean.

I have learned to love Iris Johansen's romances (I've listed some of my favorites at the bottom of this review). One thing many have in common is wonderfully complex plots, multifaceted characters and exotic locales. I loved this story, and like the related story, ONE TOUCH OF TOPAZ, it takes place in the Caribbean. While I recommend it, I cannot give it 5 stars because like TOPAZ, it's lacking some meat in my mind. That is, I wanted more story, more plot, more
Chantal
Great story and very existing. She goes to save her brothers saviour and ends up falling for him. He is a freedom fighter with a very hard shell and he pushes her away several times. However they do have sex and he wants her to leave to be safe cause he loves her and wants her to live. He was not a sweet guy but he had a heart of a poet. So smooth.
Joannie
Oct 30, 2014 Joannie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
So not like her others books that Iris Johansen writes. This was a very quick easy to read (about 1.5 hours). Kept you entertained while reading it. Amde you want to know what was going to happen.
Andria
Dec 13, 2014 Andria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
Fun, fluffy read, but I was disappointed that we started out in both Lara and Ricardo's heads and then about 100 pages in, we just get the story from Lara.
Kari
Oct 15, 2012 Kari rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2012
Tender Savage (Loveswept, September 1990) was a better book than One Touch of Topaz. I liked it a lot more than the first book. Laura was a great character. She was a strong person and had a lot of guts. Any woman who is willing to go through what she did just to rescue a man from imprisonment would have to be,. I thought the characters were a bit more realistic and more mature.

Laura and Ricardo have a great chemistry together. I was so frustrated with Ricardo and his insistence that he couldn'
Danielles
Nou, het was echt niks,....................
Janice
Like watching a TV show. Not really what I expected.OK
G
Jul 07, 2016 G rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
OD
Missghana77
Jan 12, 2016 Missghana77 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow nice old story. glad i came across this book
Christine
Feb 25, 2012 Christine rated it really liked it
What a great story. Some not so nice accomodations but at least the outcome was better at the end then the start. Lara being stubborn went to help Ricardo so that her twin brother Brett would not be part of the revolution. She bit off way more than she could chew. Some tender moments, ha ha moments and some ahhhh- wipe away the tear moments. Would love if there was a followup to their story.
Alice
Nov 10, 2011 Alice rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I waited 8 months to get this from the library. Since I've read all the other romance novels that the library had by Iris Johansen, I wanted to read this one. There's still a long line of readers who have put a hold on this. Ms. Johansen does not disappoint.
Amy Grossman
Another light romance novel, but this one actually had a bit more depth to it. Captured more of the emotion, and you really saw the connection between the hero and heroine (Ricardo & Lara). I recommend this book for the romance novel lover
Sharron
Sep 29, 2013 Sharron rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mp3-audiobook
Typical lust in the dust with a bit more of a story line than others . Who did not think the ending would be as it was? I like the author's suspense- without the sexual tension- stories better.
Barb
May 17, 2012 Barb rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
A clear 5 star in every sense. Great story, typical Johansen plot. You don't know till the end of the book what will happen. Very well written. 5 stars don't do it justice.
Kathie
Feb 23, 2012 Kathie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I listened to it on a playaway (electronic recording from the library). I didn't realize it was going to be so "steamy" but yet so tender.
Sherri Clark
What's not to like about a cheesy, unrealistic, love story between a freedom fighting rebel and as all-American 21 year old?
Janet
Dec 03, 2010 Janet rated it it was ok
This book was so predictable that it was funny. Very cheesy and corny. A tough one to listen too.
Sonya
I read in high school and with this original cover they have been revised and are still great!
C.mills
Not great but an easy read..too much like a harlequin romance
Bana
Aug 25, 2010 Bana rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another trashy and hot story by Iris Johansen.
Michelle
Ruth
Dec 23, 2010 Ruth rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance-series
LS #420
  • A Queen for the Taking? (The Diomedi Heirs, #3)
  • To Claim His Heir by Christmas
  • Shameful Secret, Shotgun Wedding
  • Possessed by the Sheikh (Sheikh's Arabian Nights #3)
  • An Offer She Can't Refuse
  • Zarif's Convenient Queen (The Legacies of Powerful Men #3)
  • Innocent in the Sheikh's Harem (Armstrong Sisters #1)
  • The Sicilian's Unexpected Duty (Irresistible Sicilians, #2)
  • Proud Greek, Ruthless Revenge
  • Princess's Secret Baby (The Chatsfield, #11)
  • An Heir Fit for a King
  • A Marriage Fit for a Sinner (Seven Sexy Sins #6)
  • Dishonourable Proposal
  • The Sheikh's Bartered Bride (Royal Brides, #1)
  • Rafe, The Maverick (The Shamrock Trinity, #1) (The Delaneys, #1)
  • Sheikh's Desert Duty (The Chatsfield, #9)
  • The Change in Di Navarra's Plan
  • Just One Last Night
Iris Johansen is a New York Times bestselling author. She began her writing after her children left home for college. She first achieved success in the early 1980s writing category romances. In 1991, Johansen began writing suspense historical romance novels, starting with the publication of The Wind Dancer. In 1996 Johansen switched genres, turning to crime fiction, with which she has had great su ...more
More about Iris Johansen...