Start by marking “60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: Portland: Including the Coast, Mount Hood, St. Helens, and the Santiam River” as Want to Read:

60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: Portland: Including the Coast, Mount Hood, St. Helens, and the Santiam River (60 Hikes Within 60 Miles)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Updated maps, new hikes, new photos, and useful backpacking options make Paul Gerald's authoritative guide to Portland's best day hikes even more useful than before. Whether travelers want a convenient city bus ride to the flat and fascinating Washington Park, a bumpy drive to Lookout Mountain, or the thigh-burning experience that are Kings and Elk Mountains, this guide ou ...more
Published June 1st 2010 by Menasha Ridge Press (first published September 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles

Elizabeth
It bugs me that this book states in the title that the hikes are all within a 60 mile range of PDX. THEY ARE NOT. Not by a longshot. It was pretty much the reason I was interested in the book.

So there is that.

Then there is the fact that the directions suck.
And I mean really suck.

So there is that.

Two stars b/c I am a generous soul.
Lafcadio
I haven't tested any of the information yet, but I have noticed a pattern. If all you knew about this book was the title, you would know that it contained information about hikes, and that all those hikes were within 60 miles of Portland. The hiking, as far as I can tell, is true, but the 60 miles part is more of, say, a guideline, or maybe a cheap marketing ploy.

More than half of the 60 hikes in this book are more than 60 miles from Portland, and they're not just stretching it up to 68 or so.
Gobie
The book has some fantastic hikes, many of them offering a great deal of solitude, even in the warm summer months here in the NW. The problem here is Paul Gerald's DRIVING directions. He is often up to a mile off in the driving instructions. Some trailheads are on unpaved, unnamed roads in the middle of nowhere and by misquoting the mileage, Gerald caused us to spend 4 HOURS lost looking for the trailhead! The frustration is unbearable, so my word of advice is to Mapquest or map out your driving ...more
Erica
If you like to hike and live in Portland, buy this book! It's an extremely handy reference guide to trails in the area.
Diana
This is a nice reference book, but be warned - several hikes are over 60 miles.
Ariel
This is about 3.5 for me. It has some great ideas to get me out of the house, but some of these hikes are ~90 miles away instead of the advertised 60, while neglecting some closer-in hikes that do fit the parameters.
Jessie
so far...meh...the descriptions of the trails and landmarks seem somewhat vague and about half the hikes in the book I already know about...hell, anyone who's lived in portland a year or two and isn't a complete recluse knows where half these hikes are. Still, there seem to be some gems and in the spring, I will test them out. Will probably need to supplement what I read in the book with RS maps, teh intarwebz, etc...
Chelsea
This book has so many great hikes in it! The descriptions give you a really good feel of what to expect. I just went on a hike that takes you behind a huge waterfall in the gorge. It was amazing. Thanks for the book Emily!
Peder
All the hikes are also found in Sullivan's 100 Hikes in NW Oregon and SW Washington; Sullivan's book is very clear in its descriptions. Therefore, my suggestion is to purchase the 100 Hikes in NW Oregon and SW Washington first.
Eliz Palma
loved it because it helped us to know if we could take our daughter in her stroller or needed to carry her.
anne
Aug 14, 2007 anne rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hikers
Good, but nothing you can't find online with a little digging. Nice to have it handy in the car, though.
Rick Mackinnon
A great introductory book about men and women who made a huge impact on church history.
Ashley Gorze
Favorite hiking book I own!
Jodi
Jul 23, 2010 Jodi is currently reading it
the lies! most of these hikes are 80-90 miles from portlandia. but damn, it's worth it. easily digestible, personal, and accurate (unlike many of the hiking books i've experienced). i carry this book with me in the same fashion as ibuprofen and my car keys...
Will
Will marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
Alanna
Alanna added it
Sep 10, 2014
Diana Dearin
Diana Dearin marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2014
Diane Robertson
Diane Robertson marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Paul Gerald is a professional freelance writer and lover of the outdoors whose work has appeared in newspapers around the country, as well as Northwest Airlines WorldTraveler, Dish Magazine, Weissmann Travel Reports, and Nike's web site."
More about Paul Gerald...

60 Hikes Within 60 Miles (1 - 10 of 46 books)
  • 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: Cleveland
  • 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: Nashville: Including Clarksville, Columbia, Gallatin, and Murfreesboro
  • 60 Hikes within 60 Miles: Raleigh
  • 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: Albuquerque
  • 60 Hikes within 60 Miles: Tampa
  • 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: Baltimore: Including Anne Arundel, Carroll, Harford, and Howard Counties
  • 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: Salt Lake City: Including Ogden, Provo, and the Uintas
  • 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: San Francisco: Including North Bay, East Bay, Peninsula, and South Bay
  • 60 Hikes Within 60 Miles: San Antonio and Austin: Includes the Hill Country
Breakfast in Bridgetown: The Definitive Guide to Portland's Favorite Meal Peaceful Places: Portland: 103 Tranquil Sites in the Rose City and Beyond Breakfast in Bridgetown, 2nd Edition Day and Overnight Hikes: Oregon's Pacific Crest Trail Day and Section Hikes Pacific Crest Trail: Oregon