Start by marking “Vicious” as Want to Read:
Vicious

Vicious

4.06  ·  Rating Details  ·  750 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
Arriving at a remote lake house with her fiance, Allen, and young son, Matthew, Susan Blanchette feels like someone is watching her and when Allen disappears, she becomes the pawn in a twisted killer's deadly game.
Published June 1st 2010 by Pinnacle (first published May 20th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Vicious, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Vicious

Mich
May 15, 2010 Mich rated it it was amazing
met him at the festival of mystery in oakmont,pa, listended to him speak about his book and tho't, hmmmm i think i'd like it. he laughed about the books cover making it look like his middle name was vicious. he seemed like such a mild mannered nice man until i read this book.. let me tell ya...the man is one sick puppy... to come up with such a plot line!! i contemplated calling in sick to work to be able to finish reading this!!
every page is a new twist. if you like lisa gardner you'll like th
Penny
Aug 17, 2011 Penny rated it it was amazing
Incredible, nail-bitting read! You know when you're in a quiet place reading this book, and a loud noise scares the s*&t out of you, that the author has successfully got your attention. I could not put this sucker down. The author doesn't overdo the scenes and ties everything up nicely to keep it satisfying. Bravo!
Shannon
Sep 07, 2012 Shannon rated it it was amazing
This is the second Kevin O'Brien novel I've read the first one was called Disturbed. I really loved this book started yesterday and i couldn't put it down.

I loved the whole idea of the storyline.
William M.
Jun 29, 2011 William M. rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
This is easily one of the better books put out by Kevin O'Brien in recent years. It contains, without a doubt, some of the most suspenseful and addictive scenarios in the thriller genre. Keeping the timeline of the events at the lake so close together really heightened the tension, as if the characters were trapped in a pressure cooker about to blow. This book was a very fast read and, with a few exceptions, was exactly what I was hoping for.

I'll cross my fingers that his new and darker directi
Dan Gauthier
May 01, 2012 Dan Gauthier rated it it was ok
This was a weird one for me. It took forever for the story to get going. A lot of useless information that made the story drag at times. And if you pay attention to small details like I do, then you should notice quite a few of them that don't hold up and unfortunatley these little details are what usually makes the plot stick together. Strangely enough it still kept me interested enough to keep on turning the pages. Another downer was the incredibly lengthly epilogue. An ending that just kept o ...more
Jordan Anderson
Oct 05, 2014 Jordan Anderson rated it it was amazing
It's only been about 5 months since I started reading Kevin o'Brien, and in those 5 months, I've completed 7 of his books. It's gotten to the point where I have to order the rest of his books online now because I've pretty much bought out all the stock at my Barnes & Noble store. Currently I'm on a plan to read an older book and then a newer book, alternating between the 2, hopefully keeping me entertained till next year (2015) when his next one is published.

So this brought me to "Vicious ",
Aiesha
Sep 01, 2014 Aiesha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What an amazingly, awesome book!!! This was my first book by this author and boy, did it quickly climb to one of my favorites. This book started off good, did not stop, and always had me guessing. Not only that, I was 100% emotionally pulled in as I was reading. You knew what was going on from every angle and sometimes what appeared to be was not it at all. Very well done and I will absolutely be reading more from this author!!! 4.5 stars
Jenn
Aug 21, 2011 Jenn rated it really liked it
I started this about 10PM last night and finished it just now (815ish PM). Very hard to put down, but managed to do so in order to go see the wedding planner lynn. It was very much an edge of the seat type of book that was extremely fast-paced with a billion and one twists and turns. I'll have to look for more books by Kevin "Vicious" O'Brien.
Erin Purcell Vaughn
Jun 20, 2015 Erin Purcell Vaughn rated it it was amazing
Another excellent book by Kevin O'Brien. I have read all of his books to date and have never been disappointed. The suspense is always building. Read this one in just over 1 day.
Rachel
Jun 19, 2012 Rachel rated it it was amazing
I really like O'Brien's style. The way he writes really sucks you in!!!
Sophie
Aug 22, 2011 Sophie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Riveting page turner with a few unpredictable twists and turns!
Jill
Dec 02, 2012 Jill rated it really liked it
Enjoyed the suspense right! Kept me guessing!
John D Ottini
Aug 13, 2014 John D Ottini rated it it was amazing
I purchased the Kindle version of this novel, when it was offered free for a limited time. I had never read one of Mr O'Brien's novels......I had no idea what I was missing! If the rest of his novels are half as good as this thriller, then Mr O'Brien will have me hooked.

Vicious is a wonderful read, a real page turner with lots of action along with some great twists and turns. Seriously, once I started reading it, I just couldn't put it down. Now I'm looking forward to reading his other novels.
Alicia
Oct 08, 2011 Alicia rated it liked it
Kris - My Novelesque Life
3 STARS

"For more than two years, he held Seattle in a terror grip - a cold-blooded killer who abducted young mothers right in front of their sons and murdered them execution style. Then, as suddenly as the killings began, they seemed to stop. Susan Blanchette is looking forward to a relaxing weekend getaway with her fiancee, Allen, and young son, Matthew. But something about the remote lake house doesn't feel right. A woman vanished from the area a year ago, and now Susan thinks she's spotted so
Sheila
Sep 15, 2014 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

I just discovered this author this year and have quickly become a big fan. This book centers around a serial killer called Mama's Boy because his deal is to kill single mother's while their young son's watch.

There were so many suspects in this one I couldn't trust anyone including the police. Masterfully written. I highly recommend.

Throw in a rustic cabin in the isolated woods to set the scene. Perfect. I'll never go camping in the woods again. By the time I got about 100 pages in I couldn't put
Vera Scanlan
Jun 12, 2015 Vera Scanlan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love everything Kevin O'Brien writes. He seldom disappoints!

The villains are always beyond the pale. And some really surprise you. Sometimes you just shake your head and it's like those horror movies where you yell at the victim not to open that cellar door, don't flag down that car, stupid! I don't think Kevin is sure women can really be the aggressor and protect herself and be more offensive than always acting frightened!
Connie Gustavich
Whew!

This is a 5 star book. Finally, something to delve into and not be disappointed. My only problem was I had to stop and start reading a lot because of things happening around the house. This was my first book by this author, but it's not going to be the last! It's so exciting finding a new author. I hope the rest of his stories are just as thrilling!
John
Dec 20, 2014 John rated it really liked it
Once you get through about half of this intricate thriller (I loved getting the back stories of several key characters in-depth, you know you won't go to sleep until you finish it ... and I didn't. Solid read; Can't believe I hadn't heard of this author before, and glad he has many more for me to choose from!
Jan
Sep 17, 2012 Jan rated it really liked it
This book was addictive. It tells the story of several characters who come together in a small Washington lake community. Tragic personal histories and the threat of a serial killer on the loose make for quite a ride. We have Susan and her son, Matthew, who meet with her fiance for a last minute vacation. But Allen goes to get sunscreen and never returns. Meanwhile a trio of teens has come to a cabin to celebrate a birthday only to have horrible memories take the place of the fun they had planne ...more
Kasey Mamula
Aug 05, 2014 Kasey Mamula rated it really liked it
I like reading Kevin obrien novels. This one was slow in the beginning then picked up. I Was starting to get sick of describing every man " handsome". The ending was good but I thought it dragged on. The ending kind of reminded me of the movie " scream" :)
Marie Sexton
Aug 04, 2015 Marie Sexton rated it liked it
Maybe more like 3.5. The book had a slow start, but once it got going, I had a hard time putting it down. I felt like Susan made some very stupid decisions, but that seems par for the course for the genre. Overall, a fun, entertaining read.
Glenda
Jul 15, 2015 Glenda rated it it was ok
There were quite a few things that bugged me about this story and one of them was how Susan left Her child alone in the house to check out the boat, knowing there was a killer out there. Seriously? I didn't care for her or her little Mattie. And the ending was just meh...
Julianne
Sep 17, 2014 Julianne rated it really liked it
This was my first book from Kevin O'Brien. At first, I didn't like it much, I felt like the narrative was a little disjointed, but it kept me interested until... I couldn't let go of the book. Amazing reading.
sandi welch
May 26, 2015 sandi welch rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good

N9ooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Ok cool thanks again and it will take the end result was uutretuiihgd :) function and the house or something to
Updcreek
Dec 27, 2015 Updcreek rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice escape book

It definitely kept me curious and even threw a few curve balls to prevent jumping to conclusions. Nothing rarthshattering but enjoyable way to escape.
Enid
Sep 20, 2014 Enid rated it it was amazing
Once again I was held captive and didn't stop reading until I was finished. I love the way I can't figure out who is bad. So looking forward to more of Kevin O'Brien's books!!!!
Mario
May 30, 2012 Mario rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, mystery, suspense
This isn't typically my type of book, but it was a fast-paced read that, for at least the first 40% or so, really had me guessing. After that point I pretty much figured it out, but I was still interested to see the rest play out. I suppose someone else might describe it as an "edge of your seat thrill ride" but I'm not like that. I found myself wanting to scream at the main characters quite a few times, but I expect that type of frustration is a regular feature of the suspense genre, like it is ...more
Jennifer K
I think that it was a good thriller. It was just too predictable for me. I read a lot of "serial killer" novels, and some have scared me to the point I checked all the locks in the house. This just wasn't one of those. It had creepy atmosphere going for it, though. And, the characters were pretty creepy. No one was who they appeared to be, and they all ended up being pretty messed up in the head. Being a huge fan of writers like Dennis Lehane, Michael Connelly, Patricia Cornwell, Jonathan Keller ...more
Landpomeranze
Creepy, fast paced and of course also with some false leeds it was a suspenseful book, fun to read. This would also make a nice movie :-)
  • 2 in the Hat
  • You Can't Stop Me (Crime Seen #1)
  • Without Prejudice
  • While Galileo Preys (Esme Stuart #1)
  • The Sculptor (Sam Markham, #1)
  • The Perfect Woman (Detective John Stallings #1)
  • Hostile Intent (Devlin, #1)
  • Raising Jake
  • Dark Dreamer (Dark Vista, #1)
  • Victim Six (Sheriff Detective Kendall Stark Series, Book 1)
  • Pinocchio in Venice
  • Try Fear
  • Petals From The Sky
  • Written in Time
  • Mooch
  • The Devil's Touch (The Devil, #3)
  • The Grail King (Druids of Avalon, #2)
  • Robin and Ruby