Start by marking “Early Candlelight” as Want to Read:
Early Candlelight

Early Candlelight

3.68 of 5 stars 3.68  ·  rating details  ·  122 ratings  ·  22 reviews
This historical novel set at Old Fort Snelling in the 1830s is a rich and romantic re-creation of the early settlement period in Minnesota's history. Maud Hart Lovelace's careful research into the documents of the Minnesota Historical Society, combined with her knowledge of the actual setting, enabled her to write a story that conveys a sense of time and place both accurat...more
Published August 15th 1992 by Minnesota Historical Society Press (first published 1929)

To ask other readers questions about Early Candlelight, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Early Candlelight

The Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettRamona the Pest by Beverly ClearyWinnie the Pooh by A.A.  MilneMrs. Piggle-Wiggle by Betty MacDonaldAlice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass by Lewis Carroll
Best Classic Chapter Books
41st out of 43 books — 9 voters
Esme Dooley by Jane  DonovanShiver by Maggie StiefvaterLake Wobegon Days by Garrison KeillorSlave by Sherri HayesWolves by Cary Griffith
Books Set in Minnesota
57th out of 120 books — 64 voters

More lists with this book...

Karen
I do agree that this started slowly, and it took me a bit of time to figure out who the important characters were going to be. Once it got going, though, I did enjoy it quite a lot. I came to like the character of Delia very much and I thought MHL was able, by the end of the book, to really get inside her and describe her emotions very well. Some of the other characters were less well developed and I have to say that I didn't find Jasper Page all that wonderful, but at least he appreciated Delia...more
Melissa
My adoration of Maud Hart Lovelace began late in life…as in a year ago when I discovered her juvenile writings (The Betsy-Tacy Series) through numerous book blogs. Our mother daughter book club devoured her first four books in rapid fashion.
After such an introduction, I’ve been eager to explore her other writings. Before Christmas I purchased her recently re-released copies of Carney’s House Party and Winona’s Pony Cart, Emily of Deep Valley, and Early Candlelight.
I’ve been keen on reading nost...more
Susan
This is one where I really wish we could do half stars, as I'd have preferred to give it 3.5. Once I got about 25 pages into the book, it really took off for me, and I was very much drawn in. It especially grabbed me as we headed to the end of Book I and into Book II. But then... then came the ending, and I found it just anticlimactic. SPOILER ALERT!! I think I read in someone else's review [Melissa's, perhaps?:] that we didn't NEED to see how the relationship betw Jasper Page and Dee actually c...more
Clair W
I picked up this book at the library because it was Maud Hart Lovelace. I haven't read any of her Betsy-Tacy books, but one written about early Minnesota history, particularly about the early days near Fort Snelling, intrigued me. I am glad that I read it, though it is a love story, it didn't seem formulaic or anything.
Susann
I'm glad I read this, but I don't see myself ever re-reading it. The beginning was a little slow and Narcisse gave me a pain. Or maybe I should say that the DuGays' reaction to Narcisse gave me a pain. I'm glad that they could support him through his bipolar episodes, but couldn't one of them lose their temper with him just once?

I enjoyed the romantic scenes and wouldn't mind spending a winter with Jasper, but thought the proposal scene was a little too cute. It reminded me of Maud's early shor...more
Jeannie
I didn't find the author of the Betsy-Tacy books here except for occasional glimpses in descriptive passages. The writing was choppy and difficult to read, as if she was trying to hard to impress the reader with her skill as a writer. I struggled to follow her and if it was any other author but MHL I would not have bothered to finish the book. The character names were atrocious and I grudgingly accept it's because they are real names, but it made it awkward. Names like those take more than a few...more
Melissa
Despite my love of history, I've never been one for sweeping, old-school historical romances. But the Maud connection put it on my to-read list.
Glad the focus was more on the people surrounding Fort Snelling than Fort life itself, and having visited Fort Snelling last summer, I was able to picture the landscape. None of the characters really captured by attention, but something pulled me along.
Definitely not one of the better of the genre--and it really paled in comparison to All This and Heaven...more
Christina Dudley
Loved this book! Historical fiction set in and around Minnesota's Fort Snelling in the 1820s. Lively characters, compelling storylines, history worked in without beating the reader over the head, and a satisfying romance. Works for me.

I've been rereading Lovelace's children's books (also 5-star caliber), prior to visiting MN, so I'm delighted and not surprised to discover she can spin a wonderful adult novel as well.

If you liked Mrs. Mike, you'll probably enjoy Early Candlelight!

(Note: if you...more
Heather
This is one of my favorite books ever. It would make a great movie: visually stunning scenery, many attractive young men and young women in love and a female protaganist an audience can't help but adore. It is "Pride and Prejudice" meets "Last of the Mohicans" with enough rich historical details woven into it to make you feel like your are really learning something. I also love this book because it is written by one of my favorite authors, Maude Hart Lovelace. This book made me proud of my Ameri...more
Linda Hayakawa
This is a completely different story from Lovelace's usual offerings. It's historical fiction set at Old Fort Snelling in Minnesota in the 1830s. Originally written in 1929, the feel is different from modern day hist. fict. - a bit more romantic and innocent perhaps. But it is a vivid and compelling portrayal of life on the river - French fur traders, Native Americans, danger and uncertainty in a beautiful, wild, land. I recommend it to anyone interested in this time period in the United States....more
Melissa
I finished it! Technically this is a re-read, but I did not remember much at all, except that I liked it much better this time. Historical fiction about the early days of frontier Minnesota, Fort Snelling, and the founding of St. Paul. Written by my favorite author. It's very detailed and full of description, but there is also a good love story and good characters.
Deena
While the attitude towards Native Americans demonstrated in this book is a bit disconcerting for the modern reader, Lovelace did her research well. She co-wrote this with her husband, but much of the research behind it was her work. It is "just" an historical romance, but worth the read for those interested in the region and the period.
Sab
Mar 27, 2009 Sab added it
Srsly it's like if Betsy were a Pioneer girl, canoeing supplies back and forth between the armies at Fort Snelling and the native American communities down the river. Also falling in love with the wild benefactor and socialite who came to support and invest in his Minnehaha land.
Alicia
Dec 12, 2013 Alicia rated it 3 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Betsy-Tacy books, or fans of Minnesota history
Sweet novel about Indians and settlers in 1830's Minnesota. Because I love this author's later Betsy-Tacy books, it was fun to see her early attempts at writing. But I probably wouldn't have read it (or stuck with it) otherwise.
Jan
It started slowly, but about 1/3 into the book, I didn't want to put it down. Young Deedee DuGay is smitten with Jasper Page who is impossibly older even if he wasn't a social notch or three above her.
Rebecca Young
Wow...horrible old-fashioned writing! I struggled through it. The story had some highlights and a couple good characters, but there was so much to get through before you could even enjoy those!
Rebecca D
Aug 22, 2007 Rebecca D rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: everyone
I was so surprised how much I loved this book. Maud was a terrific author. You will get lost in it.
Sallie
I read this 4 or 5 years ago, and I'm now re-reading it for the Group Read on Maud-L.
Joan
very enjoyable read--one of those books that's way better than you expected
Ali
If you are a fan of Maude, then this a must read.
Glorious.Clio
Probably her most critically acclaimed book.
Samantha
Samantha marked it as to-read
Oct 20, 2014
Deanna
Deanna marked it as to-read
Oct 13, 2014
Librarianladyx
Librarianladyx marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Saba farid
Saba farid marked it as to-read
Oct 03, 2014
Amber
Amber marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Katy Cater
Katy Cater marked it as to-read
Sep 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Maud Hart Lovelace was born on April 25, 1892, in Mankato, Minnesota. She was the middle of three children born to Thomas and Stella (Palmer) Hart. Her sister, Kathleen, was three years older, and her other sister, Helen, was six years younger. “That dear family" was the model for the fictional Ray family.

Maud’s birthplace was a small house on a hilly residential street several blocks above Mankat...more
More about Maud Hart Lovelace...
Betsy-Tacy (Betsy-Tacy, #1) Betsy-Tacy and Tib (Betsy-Tacy, #2) Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill (Betsy-Tacy, #3) Heaven to Betsy (Betsy-Tacy, #5) Betsy and Tacy Go Downtown (Betsy-Tacy, #4)