Start by marking “On Mysticism” as Want to Read:
On Mysticism

On Mysticism

4.24 of 5 stars 4.24  ·  rating details  ·  71 ratings  ·  17 reviews
On Mysticism is a collection of Borges' essays, fiction and poetry that explores the role of the mysterious and spiritual in Borges' life and writing. Borges had profound knowledge of eastern religions and was raised by a philosophically astute father. As a result he was preoccupied with a metaphysical uneasiness that infiltrated his work. This book is a unique collection ...more
Published June 29th 2010 by Penguin Classics

To ask other readers questions about On Mysticism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Mysticism

Zach Linge
This collection of works instantly became my favorite piece of literature. I ordered it online after having read Borges' self-professed "most honest" collection, Dreamtigers--wanting more Borges, and being in a period of heightened interest in spiritual and metaphysical studies--and quickly learned it wasn't a piece I would want to rush through reading.

Over the last six-or-so months, I've treated On Mysticism much like fine and very dark chocolate: savoring the pieces, slowly, when I needed the
Asciigod
Jorge Luis Borges' writing is single minded, driven, and uncompromising. It is the fumbling of heightened senses, the near-mad scramble of an accomplished polymath demanding sacramental alchemy from his words. It is exacerbation, a skyward launch seeking the velocity to escape the jail of physics. It is hot blood trapped in cold bodies, flight with clipped wings and sideways staircases.

All ideas are unsustainable, destroying themselves when expressed. One could go blind to see the sun but, most
Jim
Mar 10, 2011 Jim rated it 5 of 5 stars
Shelves: borges
To begin with, the title is a misnomer. It is more about philosophy than it is about mysticism. The book contains essays and poems with startling epiphanies, including several all-time favorites from Ficciones and The Aleph such as "The Library of Babel," "Funes the Memorious," "The Aleph," "The Zahir," and "The Circular Ruins." Borges is conversant with mysticism, but he is not by any stretch of the imagination a mystic.

But that is hardly Borges's fault. He is gone from us, and his works keep g
Andrew John Pixton
The short stories I loved. The poems, reviews, and philosophical arguments I did not. In regards to the arguments I found them both weak. He uses as his premises two other arguments mainly from Berkely whom he adores. I agree with Spencer whom he disagrees with. I found his rebuttal of Spencer's argument confusing and unsound. His stories, however, were powerful and deeply insightful if a little egocentric. The Library of Babel being the best and most fun, and the sole reason I picked this up in ...more
Aaron Records
I stumbled upon Borges when I had to read his Book of Imaginary Beings for a course in college. Though I did not fall in love with his writing, my interest was peaked in his thoughts. I went to my college library and took out this book and his Ficciones to learn more about him. I think the reason I love this collection so much is because Borges really has this fantastic way of melding metaphysics with literature. For example, in his story "The Aleph"; an experience of a Berkeley-esque God essent ...more
Nomadman
Not a rating on content, so much as what you get for your money; after all, any collection that includes Funes and the Library of Babel, as well as the brilliant A New Refutation of Time isn't going to merit anything less than five stars. But these works are available elsewhere.

This particular (slim) volume of Borges's essays, poems and short stories centers on the theme of 'mysticism': the nature of time and the universe, musings on identity, memory, omniscience, forgetfulness, themes which inf
Angela
I'd give thus 4 stars because, duh, Borges, but this collection was very slapdash and clearly bungled together to do...something. I'm not sure. Make more money off of Borges? The intro by his widow, Maria Kodama, is pretty asinine. The nonfiction pieces in the back are a bit repetitive and too short to even be called essays. Meh.
Tennie Marie
Borges' writing about mysticism is like an acid trip.... "A bird that is all birds".... It's really crazy. I read it while floating in my pool this summer and really enjoyed having my mind blown.
matt
"haha cool" i say to myself as i close the book and am blown at strongly like the maxell guy. The camera zooms in on my mouth, showing just a little bit of my sunglasses above, and i smirk.

(this collection is awesome. borges is one of the best writers. read clarice lispector's soulstorm after and u will have a Soul Storm. or play icewind dale. borges/borges' translator is one of the best composers of sentences. every word is like mathematically precise for talking about infinity and w/e. i wish
Louise
Mar 08, 2011 Louise marked it as unfinished
Library of Babel -- It reminds me of that sci-fi horror movie Cube. Except instead of cubes, all the rooms are hexagons. This short story was as brain-bendy as most of Borges' works. I think it's supposed to be disturbing, but I can't help but think of how nice it would be to live in an infinitely big library with an almost infinite amount of books -- even if most of the books aren't readable to me.
Sean Carman
The slender volume starts with selected mystical and fantastical shorts by Borges ("Funes the Memorious," "The Aleph" and "The Library of Babel," among others) and concludes with a series of short essays on Berkeley's idealism and Schopenhauer's mysticism. It was fun to revisit these stories, and the essays are super-compact. I have two others on the shelf: On Argentina and On Writing.
Ekrem
A nice, if brief collection of stories; it might make a good gift to someone unfamiliar with Borges. While I did discover some stories through it that I hadn't read in the Collected Fictions, I'm unsure whether the grouping helps crystallize the individual stories/texts - the focus seems a little narrow. That being said, it's friggin Borges, so it's always great.
David
A collection of pieces supposedly based on mysticism. I guess it depends on the reader's concept of mysticism. Much of it can be dismissed since Borges was an atheist. Seemed to me it was a rather crass way to put more money into the coffers of Borges's estate. I know it is rather cynical.
NaomiRuth
I really enjoy Borges and shall be digging up more of his books as time allows. His vocabulary and literary references astound me. I always find him very inspiring in my own writer's journey.
Mersini
Most of this book went over my head. What I understood, I liked, what I didn't, not so much. But I'm sure to the right person, this short collection of Borges' works is a treasury.
Nick
A fantastic little book whose content is largely 5-star material---the only shortage I found here was in quantity and selection: surely JLB has more "on mysticism" than this thin volume!
Ruth
Borges, as always, is brilliant. This is a collection of some of his short stories, interviews, etc. I think everyone needs to read The Circular Ruins at some point!
Josephine
Josephine marked it as to-read
May 14, 2015
Loida Pan
Loida Pan marked it as to-read
May 05, 2015
Cony
Cony marked it as to-read
Apr 20, 2015
Kevin Wall
Kevin Wall marked it as to-read
Apr 13, 2015
Grant Carln't
Grant Carln't marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2015
Ruth Beijen
Ruth Beijen marked it as to-read
Feb 24, 2015
Stephen Perkovic
Stephen Perkovic marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
Renan Rogero
Renan Rogero marked it as to-read
Jan 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Jorge Francisco Isidoro Luis Borges Acevedo (Spanish pronunciation: [xoɾxe lwis boɾxes], Russian: Хорхе Луис Борхес) was an Argentine writer and poet born in Buenos Aires. In 1914, his family moved to Switzerland where he attended school and traveled to Spain. On his return to Argentina in 1921, Borges began publishing his poems and essays in Surrealist literary journals. He also worked as a libra ...more
More about Jorge Luis Borges...
Ficciones Labyrinths:  Selected Stories and Other Writings Collected Fictions The Aleph and Other Stories Selected Poems