Start by marking “Maigret and the Man on the Boulevard” as Want to Read:
Maigret and the Man on the Boulevard

Maigret and the Man on the Boulevard (Maigret #41)

3.78 of 5 stars 3.78  ·  rating details  ·  461 ratings  ·  52 reviews
Three vintage Maigret novels by legendary mystery author Georges Simenon
One of the world 's most successful crime writers, Georges Simenon has thrilled mystery lovers since 1931 with his matchless creation Inspector Maigret. In "My Friend Maigret," Inspector Maigret investigates the murder of a small- time crook on a Mediterranean island. Told in Simenon's spare, unsenti
Published December 1st 2007 by Penguin Books (first published 1953)

To ask other readers questions about Maigret and the Man on the Boulevard, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Maigret and the Man on the Boulevard

Tony
Simenon, Georges. MAIGRET AND THE MAN ON THE BENCH. (1953). ****. The similarity of plot twists between this novel and “Maigret and the Wine Merchant” is amazing. This, too, involves a man who has lost his job and is afraid to tell his wife about it. He manages to continue to leave the house at the same time every morning and to come home at the same time every evening, and also manages to give his wife the same amount of money at the end of each month as if he was still receiving his regular sa ...more
Dan
I am amazed after reading this murder mystery on how well this author can tell a story. This one has many twists and turns, and has some interesting characters as well, including Fred the clown. My quest now is to find all 75 Maigret series books and to read them. I just finished number two.
I highly recommend this book to whomever loves a good mystery.
Orinoco Womble (tidy bag and all)
Though long a fan of the French TV series starring Bruno Cremer, this was my first Maigret novel. (OK, so yeah, I cheated and read it in English.)
I noticed that barring a few small things, the films are faithful to the books.The translation was very good, giving a flavour of the period without sounding over the top or reading like a translation--as a translator myself, I know how difficult that is!

A case that looks straightforward enough--a man found stabbed in an alleyway--proves to have unexp
Doug Beatty
I have not read a Maigret novel since high school, and I highly enjoyed revisiting this classic author. If you like what I would call a "classic" mystery story, Maigret may be a detective for you! He is a chief superintendant, and you really don't learn much about his private life, instead the focus is on the current investigation. In this case, there is a man found stabbed to death on a boulevard, and when his wife identifies the body, she is shocked to find that he is wearing light brown shoes ...more
Donna
For several years when my children were growing up, my hobby was studying French. As part of the effort to learn the language, I read many of Georges Simenon's 75 "Maigret" novels. In most cases, the book begins when a murder has occurred; Chief Inspector Maigret finds the perpetrator--not by sniffing out physical evidence but rather by arriving at a deep understanding the victim's life and probable motive of the killer. Never have I read an author better able to create rich, round, credible cha ...more
Alan
Classic Maigret novel in which he investigates murder of a man afraid to tell his wife he has lost his job, but who supplements his income with crime. The familiar Simenon tropes are all there - loveless marriage, spoilt child, etc - from his 'romans durs' but leavened by the human approach of Maigret himself. A good read.
David
Maigret works really hard. Phew! He gets so much done in a day, you might even think Simenon had never worked in an office.
jennifer
Maigret is called to see the body of a man stabbed in the back in a narrow Parisian alleyway. The man seems utterly unremarkable, so why would anyone bother to stab him? Maigret's digging uncovers a timid husband who was too afraid to tell his wife he had long ago lost his job, a bratty daughter who has little regard for her parents and an elderly brothel keeper.

This was my first Simenon and I really liked going with Maigret and his team of young inspectors all over Paris. They can't spot a cafe
Phillip Kay
Maigret and the Man on the Boulevard was first published in 1953 as Maigret et l’homme du banc, and was translated into English by Eileen Ellenbogen. It all started with a pair of tan shoes, in rather flashy taste for the conservatively dressed man who had been found in a cul de sac with a knife in his back. Maigret goes to work in his usual fashion, trying to understand the man who has died, and just why he would have such a pair of shoes. A trip to the man’s home in the anonymous suburbs and a ...more
Sara
Ray and Donald grow up together, each envying the other. Donald tells the story, which is touched off by a party and his subsequent experience, during a crippling snowstorm, of going out supposedly to look for the lost Ray and instead finding shelter on a bench in the barn where he sits smoking cigarettes until Ray is almost certainly dead.

This choice turns Donald into another person, the person that he thought Ray was and the person he has always wanted to be - bold, able to take what he wants
Matt B.
Not the very best Simenon, but still rates a 5 star! His Paris and Parisians, not the least Maigret himself, and the chief inspectors's quiet and dogged and inspired pursuit of motive, make him so entertaining. A body found in a city park leads Maigret back into the man's personal life and as our detective he puffs on his pipe and stands at cafe bars, all come clear to him.
Gláucia Renata
O autor também é referência quando o assunto é romance policial. Foi meu primeiro livro dele e devo ter começado pelo errado pois a trama não me envolveu, não vi nada de especial em seu estilo e em seus famosos personagens. Mas pretendo ler outros, gostaria de ter indicações de suas melhores obras.
Mikee
"Maigret had a baby daughter, but she died at birth

An intriguing story about M. Louis, who lived a double life and wore brown shoes. The end (solving the crime) was a bit of a letdown, almost like Simenon had somewhere else to be and lost interest. Too bad."
Tim
Maigret investigates, digging deeply into the life of a man who has died in a Paris alley. An elaborate life is discovered, the murder itself less important than Maigret's searches.
Adi
A very easy-to-read and pleasant book. The beginning was excellent - the murder itself, the clues, the things that were just not right...however I was a bit disappointed with the ending.
Stven
Someday perhaps I'll find a Maigret story I haven't already read. This one wasn't it, but it was still good to read it again.
Owen

Classic Maigret - Parisian setting, lots of descriptions of the weather, lots of snacking and drinking. The plot is unusual, for a crime novel. The murderer only appears in the last few pages and is an acquaintance of one of the characters; so no ‘I can reveal the identity of the killer….it was Colonel Mustard in the library’ kind of scenes. But lots of deftly drawn characters living lives in Paris in the 1950s. A very pleasant diversion.

I was reading an American edition, by Mariner Books. It wa
Marie
Actually the edition I have is titled "Maigret and the Man on the Boulevard".
Anat
Perfect summer reading. You get what you are expecting; a detective story set in Paris, very low-key, wonderful character studies and insightful observations. You get a whiff of the boulengeries and brasseries - can't ask for more. And detective Maigret...what's not to like about a man who goes into every cafe and bistro he meets on his rounds for a small glass of wine or aperitif. He has such empathy for the people he meets along his investigations. The murders become a background for the caref ...more
Jeffrey
Simenon never lets you down!
Karen
This book is about 2 couples caught in a blizzard who barely make it to shelter when they realize one of them is lost on the snow. Dan does the right thing and goes back outside to look for Ray. But it is really cold, no visibility, and does Dan really like Ray enough to risk his own life to find him? He decides to sit on a bench in his barn, smoke cigarettes and let enough time pass so the wives will assume he looked for Ray but did not find him. The consequences are not nearly as interesting a ...more
Chris
As this is only the second Maigret mystery I've read, one of the major motifs I've noticed is Simenon's fascination with weather and a propensity for drink (but not to excess). The weather brings a nice sense of place, although it does seem as if it rains a lot. And the drink makes you realize how much of an aversion to alchohol our North American puritanism quells such diversions during the work day.

The mystery is nicely laid out, although it does sort of pull the killer out a hat. Fun stuff, t
Rosemarie
When the car carrying two couples coming home from a dinner party gets stuck in a blizzard, they struggle on foot to the nearby home of one. One man disappears in the swirling snow. The other gets the women safely inside, and heroically goes back out to look for his friend.

But things are not quite as simple as they seem...

I had known Simenon only through his Inspector Maigret stories, but he apparently wrote a number of others well worth seeking out.
Donna
Another nice short mystery by Georges Simenon. I really like the way he goes about investigating cases and his relationship with the "suspects" although I was a bit surprised at who the killer turned out to be in this book because it wasn't set up well. I love the way he's constantly slipping into restaurants, bars or cafes for a beer, a glass of wine, or an aperitif. Is this a French thing or is it a 1950s thing? Must read more to find out.
Joe
This was my first Inspector Maigret novel and I enjoyed it quite a bit. Georges Simenon was famous for these novels and I can see why. Although the story is sort of slow moving, each chapter had enough mystery and of course good detective work by Maigret, to keep you wondering what will be the next step to find the person responsible for the crime. I will definitely read more of these books.
Andrew
This is an enjoyable and intriguing page turner of a murder mystery. The dialogue is fast and succinct, the language plain and to the point, and there are flashes of brilliance which elevate it over the routine. I did think it fell down at the ending which came too obliquely and conveniently for my liking, but it's a minor quibble for this pulp read.
Robby Johnson
I've been meaning to read Simenon's Maigret. I've seen the Michael Gambon portrayal (and of course Charles Laughton) and I'm glad I could picture a Maigret somewhat free of these actors. It's basically a who-dunnit along the lines of an Agatha Christie but with Paris as the backdrop. Nothing wrong there! Not a challenging read, but a pleasant one.
Martina
A nice, enjoyable Maigret read during a train travel.
The mistery is not only who stabbed Monsieur Louis to death, but also why was he found dead with yellow shoes and a bright tie which his wife never saw before... And from this starting point the story starts to unfold, wiht Maigret running around Paris and meeting a whole humanity of "little people".
Sean
The book "The Man on the Bench in the Barn" is not a Maigret novel. Apparently there is a Maigret novel "Maigret and the Man on the Bench" which has been merged with this book.

This is one of Simenon's psychological novels and is another scenario of a man in a mid-life crisis mode leading to an extreme life decision.
  • The Tunnel Under the World
  • The Absolute at Large
  • Tatuaggio (Pepe Carvalho #2)
  • The Final Deduction (Nero Wolfe, #35)
  • Hammett
  • Хищные вещи века
  • Man of Two Tribes
  • Les hommes protégés
  • The Potter's Field (Inspector Montalbano, #13)
  • Ragionevoli dubbi
  • The Abominable Man (Martin Beck #7)
Simenon was one of the most prolific writers of the twentieth century, capable of writing 60 to 80 pages per day. His oeuvre includes nearly 200 novels, over 150 novellas, several autobiographical works, numerous articles, and scores of pulp novels written under more than two dozen pseudonyms. Altogether, about 550 million copies of his works have been printed.

He is best known, however, for his 75
More about Georges Simenon...
The Man Who Watched Trains Go By Dirty Snow The Yellow Dog Maigret and the Enigmatic Lett The Strangers in the House