Start by marking “The Lion” as Want to Read:
The Lion

The Lion (John Corey #5)

4.2 of 5 stars 4.20  ·  rating details  ·  18,874 ratings  ·  931 reviews
Anti-Terrorist Task Force agent John Corey is back in this follow-up to DeMille's "New York Times" bestseller "The Lion's Game." Unfortunately for Corey, so is Asad Khalil, the notorious Libyan terrorist otherwise known as The Lion.
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published June 8th 2010 by Hachette Audio

The following is a transcript of a phone intercept recorded June 8, 2003. The first subject is John Corey, former NYPD detective and current contract agent for the FBI & NYPD’s joint Anti-Terrorist Task Force. The second subject is Asad Khalil (a/k/a The Lion), currently wanted internationally for multiple acts of terrorism and murder.

John Corey: Hello.

Asad Khalil: John, it’s Asad Khalil. Do you remember me?

JC: Asad! How could I forget? You killed more people than cancer when you got inside
This book is awesome. If only all fiction flowed this fast then truly would I be in Heaven. Step into the world of John Corey, all time smartass NYC detective who has a quip for every moment and who seems to always manage to solve the most difficult of cases. We were first introduced to him in PLUM ISLAND in which he was recovering from three bullet wounds and on disability leave. Of course, Corey can't keep his nose out of things like any good detective and goes on to investigate a matter relat ...more
If you haven’t yet read The Lion's Game, you really should read it before you read this book. You don’t have to, but it will be a much more satisfying read if you do. The Lion continues the story of John Corey, a New York City homicide police officer who is now working on the Joint Terrorism Task force and his nemesis the uber-terrorist and all out psychotic scary guy, Asad Khalil.

At the end of The Lion’s Game (sorry for the mild spoiler) John and Khalil have a standoff. They both vow to kill ea
I ordered this to listen to on a trip to visit my kids. I'm chagrined that I wasted the time to listen to this catastrophe of a book. The story is predictable, there is no character development, and no suspense. It is the literary equivalent of reality TV.
This is a tiresome and dated book with the usual prototype smart-alec protagonist oozing with testosterone and whose mouth and sarcastic repartee got on my nerves as did his extreme vulgarity. I mean, I am all for realism, but people - at leas
Giovanni Gelati
Right from the start I just want to say that this novel ROCKED for me. John Carey is a fun character and I am glad to have discovered him finally. I know, where have I been and why haven’t I read his work before? Chalk it up to one of life’s little mysteries. I have seen the movie The General’s Daughter and enjoyed it; I have the novel on my- to read- list now. The beauty of the whole thing is that this is what I enjoy about the different websites we are a part of, finding new stuff to read, the ...more
Corey Tardif
Damn, this book was intense! The Lion is the follow-up to The Lion's Game, and takes place 3 years later and The Lion (AKA Asad Khalil) is a ruthless Arabian Terrorist who has returned to America to kill John Corey out of revenge for ruining his plans 3 years ago. When I found out that this was a follow-up to The Lion's Game I just wanted to skip Nightfall and Wild Fire and go right to this book to find out what happens next, but I chose to read them in order so I wouldn't be lost.

One thing I'll
Another fabulous book by DeMille. I wish he published a book every week. I just can't get enough.
Armin Hennig
Rauferei auf Ground Zero

Was für ein Schmarren, über den fragwürdigen Inhalt und die alles andere als zufriedenstellende Gestaltung haben sich ja schon genügend enttäuschte Fans ausgelassen.
Da ich das, anscheinend virtuose, „Spiel des Löwen“, das diese Pflichtfortsetzung bei public demand geradezu provoziert hat, nicht kenne, sollte sich mein Entsetzen eigentlich in Grenzen halten. Aber schon der Qualitätsabfall innerhalb des Buches ist geradezu erschütternd.
Hat die aus dem Ruder gelaufene Besch
Jay Connor
In a summer of great, long awaited sequels (at least 10 years from original) -- see my reviews of Linda Greenlaw's "Seaworthy" and Scott Turow's "Innocent" -- Nelson DeMille's sequel to the 2000 "The Lion's Game" (reviewed earlier this summer), is a brutal disappointment.

In fact, "The Lion" only got its second star because of a wonderfully written, over the top, original skydiving scene.

Much of what served DeMille so well in the first installment failed or was dropped in this go 'round. The 200
Nelson DeMille’s latest effort "The Lion", combines humor and violence with an examination of the clash between Middle Eastern and Western cultures to produce a novel that is both wildly entertaining and frighteningly realistic.

The Lion is the sequel to DeMille’s The Lion’s Game, published in 2000, which pitted retired NYC Detective John Corey against Libyan terrorist Asad Khalil, also known as The Lion. In this second installment, Khalil is back in the US three years after his last confrontatio
Tim Chamberlain
Written for the KAZI Book Review (

Nelson DeMille’s latest effort combines humor and violence (not necessarily in that order) with an examination of the clash between Middle Eastern and Western cultures to produce a novel that is both wildly entertaining and frighteningly realistic.

This is my favorite in this series! I absolutely LOVED this one. As I have stated in my reviews from other books in this series, I have read these completely out of order. That is not the norm for me. I have one more to read in this series. I hope that DeMille writes more of these because I cannot get enough of John Corey. He is one of my favorite characters of all time. Great plot, great characters (good guys & the scariest, most psycho villian), & excellent style. Fantastic delivery by ...more
Excellent audiobook narrated by Scott Brick. Scott also interviews the Author at the end of the book.
Jane Stewart
Disappointing sequel to The Lion’s Game.

The only value is to satisfy your curiosity if you read The Lion’s Game. Do not read this as a stand alone.

There were three action scenes in the beginning of the book with Asad killing people. Then the huge middle section of the book felt like filler. Too wordy with political ponderings. Too much internal thinking and monologuing. Too much repetitive thinking about past events. Finally we get some action toward the end.

This book would have been better if w
Asad Khalil (aka "The Lion"), the ruthless Libyan terrorist who menaced ex-NYPD cop John Corey in The Lion's Game (2000), returns to the U.S. 18 months after 9/11, bent on finishing old business in DeMille's fast-paced fifth John Corey thriller (after Wild Fire). In Los Angeles, Khalil dispatches the last of the eight American pilots who dropped the bombs that killed Khalil's family in the historic 1986 raid on Tripoli. In New York City, a daring encounter with Corey, a member of the federal Ant ...more
John Corey is back and has unfinished business with terrorist Asad Khalil. Fans will know him from DeMilles The Lion's Game. One has to get used to all the testosterone, but will quickly enjoy Corey mouthing off on everyone and everything. I was constantly laughing out loud or the very least shaking my had in amusement. Witty dialogue! Please keep the soap away from Corey's mouth a while longer because I enjoyed this book a lot. 5 stars for this entertaining read!

Now, I've read some of the other
Gerald Sinstadt
Having read four previous John Corey novels, I didn't need much persuading to like The Lion's Game. DeMille's practice of counterpointing violent and often evil events with his protagonist's weakness for the flippant wisecrack is not an easy trick to pull off, but he is able to make it work. Unsurprisingly, some of the jokes are better than others ("Have you experience of terrorism? I was married.")

It is a pity that other reviewers have divulged rather a lot of the plot; suffice it to say that,
I do like the way Nelson DeMille writes his main characters. John Corey is a snot. He's sarcastic, he's rude, he's basically a brat. While I don't love his as a character in the "he's just so loveable" sense, I am so impressed with the way DeMille commits 100% to the personality of this caracter. He doesn't just bring out the sarcasm in the dialog when Corey talks, but it is throughout his actions, his thinking - there is no doubt in anyones mind of Corey's character. I appreciate that about DeM ...more
Candace LaRotonda
The Lion

Great book.doesn't need the foul language and for goodness sake why do so many good guys have to die? Definitely worth reading.
I too received an advance copy of this book, before it was released. I enjoy all of this authors works, but mostly his earlier works. Sadly, I feel he is resting a bit on his well earned laurels. The book read like it was almost an afterthought, with very little new character development and almost no plot twists. It was a nice read, but more of a palate cleanser than the satisfying meal which this author is capable of delivering. I long for the likes of The Charm School, The Generals Daughter, ...more
Iris Hatt
Loved this book. Just what you'd expect from DeMille.
Richard White
Murder and mayhem mixed with wit and humour. This series is best read in order.
This novel first involves John Corey and his wife in a sky diving event in the Borscht Belt of the Catskills near where we lived in Ulster County of New York State although "The Lion" had already wreaked havoc out of the Santa Barbara airport in California.
I continue to enjoy the caustic humor of John Corey and appreciate he and his wife's triumphs out of devastating catastrophes!
Johnny Williams
Book five-- that says a lot of why the 4 stars-- By now if you have read the other 4 -- you are hooked liked me. I happen to like this character, John Corey, a lot. I enjoy the character, I think, more than the plot. Now that's new for me but true.

Corey is a sarcastic smart-aleck cop. By the time you think you are in a more than real serious piece of the book, up jumps a wise crack that has you move from an intense scene, ... wondering what was next...and you go form wondering to laughing out lo
This book continued and finished the story begun in the first of this series. It was just as intriguing and well written as the first book, but I was glad the story came to a conclusion in the end. There may be more, but the plot begun in the first book concluded in this one. Once again, the pure evil of the Islamic terrorist is brought to the forefront and the determination with which such people pursue their ends is impressively conveyed in this book. This evil is hard to imagine for most norm ...more
Gerard Masilang
The Lion's Game was the first John Corey book I've read and this story is easily one of my favorite novels. The sequel to the original Assad Khalil delivered everything I expected and even a little more. The skydiving scene and the final 2 chapters were absolutely insane. I like how Demille kept the reader on edge as the characters waited for the lion to strike.

I'm glad Boris played a significant role in this story because he is the cool evil Russian KGB version of John Corey. His encounter with
Under normal circumstances I'd say that 'The Lion' pretty good thriller. The thing is though that its predecessor - 'The Lion's Game' - is one of the best thrillers I've ever read. My expectations on this book were therefore very high and I'm sorry to say that this time around Mr. DeMille failed to deliver.

There are two main reasons why I feel let down by this book. My disappointment is mostly caused by the fact that there was a clear-cut path for a follow-up to 'Lion's Game' and the author took
Really enjoyed this one, as has been the case with the rest of the series. There were a few gruesome scenes described in detail that I would have skimmed through a little faster had I been reading this instead of listening to the audio book. John Corey is such a badass.
DeMille, Nelson 13 86 Apr 18, 2014 10:46AM
  • The Rembrandt Affair (Gabriel Allon, #10)
  • The First Rule (Joe Pike, #2)
  • The Secret Soldier  (John Wells, #5)
  • Warlord (Alexander Hawke, #6)
  • Hell's Corner (Camel Club, #5)
  • Foreign Influence (Scot Harvath, #9)
  • Pursuit of Honor (Mitch Rapp, #12)
  • The Vigilantes (Badge of Honor, #10)
  • The Skorpion Directive (Agent Micah Dalton, #4)
  • The Hunted
  • The Rule Of Nine (Paul Madriani, #11)
  • By Faith Alone
  • Does Your Tongue Need Healing
Nelson Richard DeMille was born in New York City on August 23, 1943 to Huron and Antonia (Panzera) DeMille. He moved as a child with his family to Long Island. In high school, he played football and ran track.

DeMille spent three years at Hofstra University, then joined the Army and attended Officer Candidate School. He was a First Lieutenant in the United States Army (1966-69) and saw action as an
More about Nelson DeMille...

John Corey (7 books)
  • Plum Island (John Corey, #1)
  • The Lion's Game (John Corey, #2)
  • Night Fall (John Corey, #3)
  • Wild Fire (John Corey, #4)
  • The Panther  (John Corey, #6)
  • Radiant Angel (John Corey, #7)
The General's Daughter Plum Island (John Corey, #1) The Charm School The Lion's Game (John Corey, #2) The Gold Coast

“It's really scary when you have a moment of temporary sanity.” 26 likes
“…made me promise to cut down on the drinking and swearing, which I have. Unfortunately, this has left me dim-witted and nearly speechless.” 20 likes