Start by marking “The Lion” as Want to Read:
The Lion

The Lion (John Corey #5)

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  20,899 Ratings  ·  988 Reviews
Anti-Terrorist Task Force agent John Corey is back in this follow-up to DeMille's "New York Times" bestseller "The Lion's Game." Unfortunately for Corey, so is Asad Khalil, the notorious Libyan terrorist otherwise known as The Lion.
Audio CD, Abridged, 0 pages
Published June 8th 2010 by Hachette Audio

Kemper
The following is a transcript of a phone intercept recorded June 8, 2003. The first subject is John Corey, former NYPD detective and current contract agent for the FBI & NYPD’s joint Anti-Terrorist Task Force. The second subject is Asad Khalil (a/k/a The Lion), currently wanted internationally for multiple acts of terrorism and murder.

John Corey: Hello.

Asad Khalil: John, it’s Asad Khalil. Do you remember me?

JC: Asad! How could I forget? You killed more people than cancer when you got inside
StoryTellerShannon
This book is awesome. If only all fiction flowed this fast then truly would I be in Heaven. Step into the world of John Corey, all time smartass NYC detective who has a quip for every moment and who seems to always manage to solve the most difficult of cases. We were first introduced to him in PLUM ISLAND in which he was recovering from three bullet wounds and on disability leave. Of course, Corey can't keep his nose out of things like any good detective and goes on to investigate a matter relat ...more
Armin Hennig
Rauferei auf Ground Zero

Was für ein Schmarren, über den fragwürdigen Inhalt und die alles andere als zufriedenstellende Gestaltung haben sich ja schon genügend enttäuschte Fans ausgelassen.
Da ich das, anscheinend virtuose, „Spiel des Löwen“, das diese Pflichtfortsetzung bei public demand geradezu provoziert hat, nicht kenne, sollte sich mein Entsetzen eigentlich in Grenzen halten. Aber schon der Qualitätsabfall innerhalb des Buches ist geradezu erschütternd.
Hat die aus dem Ruder gelaufene Besch
AH
If you haven’t yet read The Lion's Game, you really should read it before you read this book. You don’t have to, but it will be a much more satisfying read if you do. The Lion continues the story of John Corey, a New York City homicide police officer who is now working on the Joint Terrorism Task force and his nemesis the uber-terrorist and all out psychotic scary guy, Asad Khalil.

At the end of The Lion’s Game (sorry for the mild spoiler) John and Khalil have a standoff. They both vow to kill ea
Wanda
Apr 29, 2011 Wanda rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I ordered this to listen to on a trip to visit my kids. I'm chagrined that I wasted the time to listen to this catastrophe of a book. The story is predictable, there is no character development, and no suspense. It is the literary equivalent of reality TV.
This is a tiresome and dated book with the usual prototype smart-alec protagonist oozing with testosterone and whose mouth and sarcastic repartee got on my nerves as did his extreme vulgarity. I mean, I am all for realism, but people - at leas
Sue
Jun 10, 2010 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Giovanni Gelati
Jul 03, 2010 Giovanni Gelati rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Right from the start I just want to say that this novel ROCKED for me. John Carey is a fun character and I am glad to have discovered him finally. I know, where have I been and why haven’t I read his work before? Chalk it up to one of life’s little mysteries. I have seen the movie The General’s Daughter and enjoyed it; I have the novel on my- to read- list now. The beauty of the whole thing is that this is what I enjoy about the different websites we are a part of, finding new stuff to read, the ...more
Corey
May 13, 2015 Corey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Damn, this book was intense! The Lion is the follow-up to The Lion's Game, and takes place 3 years later and The Lion (AKA Asad Khalil) is a ruthless Arabian Terrorist who has returned to America to kill John Corey out of revenge for ruining his plans 3 years ago. When I found out that this was a follow-up to The Lion's Game I just wanted to skip Nightfall and Wild Fire and go right to this book to find out what happens next, but I chose to read them in order so I wouldn't be lost.

One thing I'll
Beth
Aug 23, 2015 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent audiobook narrated by Scott Brick. Scott also interviews the Author at the end of the book.
Barbara
Jun 17, 2010 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another fabulous book by DeMille. I wish he published a book every week. I just can't get enough.
Jay Connor
In a summer of great, long awaited sequels (at least 10 years from original) -- see my reviews of Linda Greenlaw's "Seaworthy" and Scott Turow's "Innocent" -- Nelson DeMille's sequel to the 2000 "The Lion's Game" (reviewed earlier this summer), is a brutal disappointment.

In fact, "The Lion" only got its second star because of a wonderfully written, over the top, original skydiving scene.

Much of what served DeMille so well in the first installment failed or was dropped in this go 'round. The 200
Sue
Feb 28, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nelson DeMille’s latest effort "The Lion", combines humor and violence with an examination of the clash between Middle Eastern and Western cultures to produce a novel that is both wildly entertaining and frighteningly realistic.

The Lion is the sequel to DeMille’s The Lion’s Game, published in 2000, which pitted retired NYC Detective John Corey against Libyan terrorist Asad Khalil, also known as The Lion. In this second installment, Khalil is back in the US three years after his last confrontatio
Tim Chamberlain
Aug 25, 2010 Tim Chamberlain rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Written for the KAZI Book Review (http://kazibookreview.wordpress.com/):

Nelson DeMille’s latest effort combines humor and violence (not necessarily in that order) with an examination of the clash between Middle Eastern and Western cultures to produce a novel that is both wildly entertaining and frighteningly realistic.

Margarida
Jan 09, 2016 Margarida rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense
Mais uma aventura de John Corey, que começa com um ritmo vertiginoso, com o regresso de Asad Khalil para se vingar do último piloto que fez parte da esquadra que bombardeou Tripoli quando ele era adolescente e também para se vingar de John Corey e os outros agentes do FBI que o perseguiram três anos antes.
Asad Khalil regressa com o apoio financeiro da Al-Qaeda e, como tal, tem uma missão terrorista de "agradecimento" a cumprir, paralelamente à sua vingança pessoal.
John Corey, após várias mortes
Dorsi
Sep 16, 2011 Dorsi rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite in this series! I absolutely LOVED this one. As I have stated in my reviews from other books in this series, I have read these completely out of order. That is not the norm for me. I have one more to read in this series. I hope that DeMille writes more of these because I cannot get enough of John Corey. He is one of my favorite characters of all time. Great plot, great characters (good guys & the scariest, most psycho villian), & excellent style. Fantastic delivery by ...more
Joni Dee
Apr 11, 2016 Joni Dee rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have been a devoted DeMille fan since "By the Rivers of Babylon", unfortunately, the Lion seems like something DeMille have scribbled in his sleep, without exposing us to any farther thrill than what we have already meet in "The Lion's Game".

The plot is actually boring. 400 pages of anticipating a climax that ends very abruptly (as if the writer decided not to bother with connecting part VI & VII).
The ending is also abrupt and very unsatisfying...
Makes you wonder how could Dan Brown called
Jane Stewart
Disappointing sequel to The Lion’s Game.

The only value is to satisfy your curiosity if you read The Lion’s Game. Do not read this as a stand alone.

There were three action scenes in the beginning of the book with Asad killing people. Then the huge middle section of the book felt like filler. Too wordy with political ponderings. Too much internal thinking and monologuing. Too much repetitive thinking about past events. Finally we get some action toward the end.

This book would have been better if w
Diane
Aug 28, 2010 Diane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Asad Khalil (aka "The Lion"), the ruthless Libyan terrorist who menaced ex-NYPD cop John Corey in The Lion's Game (2000), returns to the U.S. 18 months after 9/11, bent on finishing old business in DeMille's fast-paced fifth John Corey thriller (after Wild Fire). In Los Angeles, Khalil dispatches the last of the eight American pilots who dropped the bombs that killed Khalil's family in the historic 1986 raid on Tripoli. In New York City, a daring encounter with Corey, a member of the federal Ant ...more
_yay_
May 13, 2011 _yay_ rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-on-blog
John Corey is back and has unfinished business with terrorist Asad Khalil. Fans will know him from DeMilles The Lion's Game. One has to get used to all the testosterone, but will quickly enjoy Corey mouthing off on everyone and everything. I was constantly laughing out loud or the very least shaking my had in amusement. Witty dialogue! Please keep the soap away from Corey's mouth a while longer because I enjoyed this book a lot. 5 stars for this entertaining read!

Now, I've read some of the other
Gerald Sinstadt
Jun 28, 2013 Gerald Sinstadt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
Having read four previous John Corey novels, I didn't need much persuading to like The Lion's Game. DeMille's practice of counterpointing violent and often evil events with his protagonist's weakness for the flippant wisecrack is not an easy trick to pull off, but he is able to make it work. Unsurprisingly, some of the jokes are better than others ("Have you experience of terrorism? I was married.")

It is a pity that other reviewers have divulged rather a lot of the plot; suffice it to say that,
Melissa
Mar 07, 2013 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do like the way Nelson DeMille writes his main characters. John Corey is a snot. He's sarcastic, he's rude, he's basically a brat. While I don't love his as a character in the "he's just so loveable" sense, I am so impressed with the way DeMille commits 100% to the personality of this caracter. He doesn't just bring out the sarcasm in the dialog when Corey talks, but it is throughout his actions, his thinking - there is no doubt in anyones mind of Corey's character. I appreciate that about DeM ...more
Alison
Jan 16, 2011 Alison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: xpired-2011-read
Candace LaRotonda
Apr 23, 2014 Candace LaRotonda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Lion

Great book.doesn't need the foul language and for goodness sake why do so many good guys have to die? Definitely worth reading.
Blake
Jun 08, 2010 Blake rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I too received an advance copy of this book, before it was released. I enjoy all of this authors works, but mostly his earlier works. Sadly, I feel he is resting a bit on his well earned laurels. The book read like it was almost an afterthought, with very little new character development and almost no plot twists. It was a nice read, but more of a palate cleanser than the satisfying meal which this author is capable of delivering. I long for the likes of The Charm School, The Generals Daughter, ...more
Paula Dembeck
Nov 19, 2015 Paula Dembeck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the fifth book in the John Corey series and a follow up to the second book titled “The Lion’s Game”. It is now three years later and after 9/11 and the terrible tragedy of the Twin Towers.
When Asad Khalil and John Corey parted ways and before Asad disappeared, they had a brief telephone conversation and Asad vowed to come back to America and kill John. John replied that he welcomed his enemy's return and would look forward to their next encounter. Asad has now covertly entered the Unite
Iris Hatt
Jan 31, 2014 Iris Hatt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved this book. Just what you'd expect from DeMille.
Holly Haze
Nov 09, 2015 Holly Haze rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I will be so sad when this series ends. This was probably my favorite so far. I'm a bit obsessed with John Corey. Two more books to go in this series!
Richard White
Murder and mayhem mixed with wit and humour. This series is best read in order.
Anthony Cucinella
-Amazing-
This book was very misleading at first with me wanting to opt out after reading the first few pages bu I decided t stick with it, as it is 600 pages. Yet after waiting a little I got hooked page by page and swept to where John Corey and others were in the book. I felt as if I was standing among them and trying to keep away from Khalil. Corey's sarcasm and humor made me feel comfortable reading throughout. The book overall felt like a growing mystery and a fascinating horror at times wit
Raymond
Oct 12, 2012 Raymond rated it really liked it
This novel first involves John Corey and his wife in a sky diving event in the Borscht Belt of the Catskills near where we lived in Ulster County of New York State although "The Lion" had already wreaked havoc out of the Santa Barbara airport in California.
I continue to enjoy the caustic humor of John Corey and appreciate he and his wife's triumphs out of devastating catastrophes!
DeMille, Nelson 13 88 Apr 18, 2014 10:46AM
  • Pursuit of Honor (Mitch Rapp, #12)
  • The First Rule (Elvis Cole, #13; Joe Pike, #2)
  • The Defector (Gabriel Allon, #9)
  • The Vigilantes (Badge of Honor, #10)
  • Foreign Influence (Scot Harvath, #9)
  • The Midnight House (John Wells, #4)
  • Warlord (Alexander Hawke, #6)
  • The Skorpion Directive (Agent Micah Dalton, #4)
  • Hell's Corner (Camel Club, #5)
  • God's Creative Power Will Work For You
  • The Kingmaker (Sean Drummond, #3)
  • Joshua's Hammer (Kirk McGarvey #8)
  • NKJV, American Patriot's Bible, Hardcover: The Word of God and the Shaping of America
  • The Rule Of Nine (Paul Madriani, #11)
  • The Making of a Leader
Nelson Richard DeMille was born in New York City on August 23, 1943 to Huron and Antonia (Panzera) DeMille. He moved as a child with his family to Long Island. In high school, he played football and ran track.

DeMille spent three years at Hofstra University, then joined the Army and attended Officer Candidate School. He was a First Lieutenant in the United States Army (1966-69) and saw action as an
More about Nelson DeMille...

John Corey (8 books)
  • The Book Case
  • Plum Island (John Corey, #1)
  • The Lion's Game (John Corey, #2)
  • Night Fall (John Corey, #3)
  • Wild Fire (John Corey, #4)
  • The Panther  (John Corey, #6)
  • Radiant Angel (John Corey, #7)

“It's really scary when you have a moment of temporary sanity.” 26 likes
“…made me promise to cut down on the drinking and swearing, which I have. Unfortunately, this has left me dim-witted and nearly speechless.” 20 likes