Blank-133x176
Beowulf the Warrior

Ian Serraillier

Beowulf the Warrior

3.42 of 5 stars 3.42  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  8 reviews
"Beowulf the Warrior is an outstanding modern version of the oldest epic in the English language. Ian Serraillier has retold in verse the story of the hero Beowulf and his three memorable exploits--first, his rescuing of Hrothgar the Dane from the ravages of monstrous Grendel; next, his victory over Grendel's strange and horrible mother; and finally, in Beowulf's old age,...more
Published by Turtleback Books (first published 1954)

Charity (CJ)
My daughter and I recently began volume 2 of Susan Wise Bauer's The Story of the World homeschool history curriculum. This retelling of Beowulf was recommended in those materials, and I am so glad we picked it up. The verse is powerful but accessible to children, and the illustrations really add to the atmosphere of the stories.

My daughter's not much into battles and heroics (she prefers books about animals), but even she enjoyed this version of the Beowulf tales. She read it on her own and then...more
Leandra
This old tale is such a treasure! I am so glad it was preserved all these years and I think that Beowulf and Wiglaf are the embodiment of courageous and selfless heroism.
Joshua Nuckols
Recently reread. Loved the poetic readability of this one. Good one to read aloud.

"I read this version when I was a kid...nothing spectacular--then. Recently read Seamus Heaney's and it was great. Maybe this translation deserves a rereading."
Bill
I pre-read this before I read it to my sons. It has been 27 years since I read a version of Beowulf. I enjoyed reading it and will probably read it to my sons in the next couple of weeks.
Artifice Magazine
Not as good as Seamus Heaney's, but enjoyable. A particularly nice format.
R.
Not as good as Seamus Heaney's, but enjoyable. A particularly nice format.
Madeline
I loved this tale. This Epic was exciting, and had beautiful writing style.
Neil Munday
excellent . the telling of a tale that facinates.
Hutoxy
Hutoxy marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Natalie
Natalie marked it as to-read
Jul 04, 2014
James M. Hahn
James M. Hahn marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Caralee
Caralee is currently reading it
Feb 27, 2014
Charlotte
Charlotte marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2014
Rowan
Rowan marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Ian Serraillier (24 September 1912 – 28 November 1994) was a British novelist and poet. He was also appreciated by children for being a storyteller retelling legends from Rome, Greece and England. Serraillier was best known for his children's books, especially The Silver Sword (1956), a wartime adventure story which was adapted for television by the BBC in 1957 and again in 1971.
He was born in Lon...more
More about Ian Serraillier...
Escape From Warsaw The Enchanted Island There's No Escape The Clashing Rocks The Road to Canterbury