From Time Immemorial: The Origins of the Arab-Jewish Conflict Over Palestine

From Time Immemorial: The Origins of the Arab-Jewish Conflict Over Palestine

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  87 ratings  ·  22 reviews
Book by Peters, Joan
Published February 1st 2001 by JKAP Publications (first published April 1984)

To ask other readers questions about From Time Immemorial, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about From Time Immemorial

Roma
This is a intensely fact packed tome, it took me over a month to just read through.

I have now a much better idea of the real history of the region which has been drowned out by a tsunami of anti-Israel propaganda.
May 26, 2011 Laura rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: any serious scholar of the arab-israeli conflict
I'll preface this by dispelling the myth that this book is a 'hoax'. [Brings to mind Mark Twain's quote: "A lie can travel halfway around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes."] This book is not a hoax. If you follow the tiny circle of people who try to perpetuate that little propaganda tagline (Chomsky, Finkelstein and cronies), they all quote each other. I research this in my graduate work, and when I saw how it all loops back around to the same group, I actually laughed out loud....more
Mrs.
The best book I have ever come across regarding the origins and politics, on an international level, of the conflict. The author, a journalist, set out to investigate the issue with a definite agenda and perspective in mind, by her own admission. What she discovered startled her, and caused her to reevaluate her positions.
Kevin
This book is by far the most objective view of WTF is going on over there wrt the Isrealis and the band of squatters / former citizens of the Turkish suzerain. Call me biased.
Kelly
I've noticed (so have several other readers) that Goodreads has deleted several relevant comments regarding this book. There were several comments under Bettie's review below (http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...) that contained facts relevant to discussion of this book and the topic. I read them the other day, and went back on today to share with my roommate, and they're gone! (???) The comments were written by a grad student on the subject, were well-articulated, and contained zero profani...more
Gary
The enemies of truth and of human rights have slammed this book as 'worhtless' simply because it exposes their lies against Israel and her people.
I therefore point out some of the facts in this book that are highlighted (anyone who denies these facts is a liar , whose agenda is another holocaust of the Israeli people).
The term "Palestinian" is itself a masterful twisting of history. To portray themselves as indigenous, Arab settlers adopted the name of an ancient Mediterranean tribe, the Philist...more
Rich
Skimmed through it some time back. Want to actually read through it. As much of what is put forth today is very one sided and based on false presentation within the liberal media. A convert to Christianity from Islam, from the Terrosit organization Hamas. Says nearly the same as the book to be true.
Avi
One of the most informative books I have ever read, it clears up a great deal of the propaganda and false information that exists. a 10
Ploni
People who think that Norman Finkelstein has "disproved" this book have not read it.

It is written from a perspective from someone who had a very one sides view and through 7 years of her own research that view changed.

Is the research perfect and infalible? No, since the book was written more documents have been declassified, more information has come to light, but it IS well researched for it's time.

Is it biased? No, it is an honest account from someone who spent 7 years researching trying to...more
Zak
**The author set out to create a sound argument on behalf of the Palestinian Arabs and came out with a strong defense for Israel. She realized that huge portions of history had been ignored, forgotten, and deleted. And here is all is...

A very good book, but as a resource. It's a dense read, packed with information, inundated with facts, almost too much so. And she reiterates her points too often, which makes it a bit tedious to get through. However, her theses drive home very serious, important...more
Michelle
What an eye opener! Joan Peters' extensive research was very informative, and I learned a great deal about both sides of the Palestinian refugee issue. Israel's daily fight for survival in this very hostile region of the world seems next to impossible, and yet they have survived, and thrived, for 53 years. Truly an amazing, objective look at this seemingly impossible conflict.
Marcia
These is a heavy read, but a must read for anyone who wants to understand the history of the region. The fools who claim this is a hoax are they same fools who deny that the Jewish people existed in the land of Israel and like that anti Semitic "journalist" whoa was forced to be put out to pasture, believe that the Jewish homeland is Poland.
Andre Ezer
May 21, 2009 Andre Ezer marked it as to-read
Read it 10 years ago. Re-reading it soon. Meticulously covers the history and background of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Jason

A comprehensive book that details how the Jews and Arabs came to the current day conflict in Israel. The book is rich on facts, and lays bare most claims of modern day Palestinians to the land of Israel. While well-researched, this is a meaty book and not an easy read, and is fairly repetitive. Along the way, I had to put this down for a while, go on to other books, and come back when I had the energy to continue.
Linden
From Time Immemorial: The Origins of the Arab-Jewish Conflict over Palestine by Joan Peters (2001)
sologdin
Dishonest trash.

Only teabaggers and other blinkered rightists in the United States like this book. Israeli and European experts have discredited the book. Y. Porath savaged it. Even Daniel Pipes, otherwise wrong about everything, admitted, after being confronted with Finkelstein's work, that this text is erroneous in its particulars, even though he agreed with its political project.

And review of the text itself should suffice: its central thesis--that Palestine was "uninhabited," with no economi...more
Jozeph Daniel
الكتاب ده بيلخص المشكلة العربية مع الكيان "اليهودي" و احداث الطرد و تقسيم فلسطين عشان الاخوة اللي حرقاهم العروبة
Kristofer Petersen-Overton
This book was exposed as a fraud years ago by Norman Finkelstein. It has only marginal value for the colossal chutzpah of the author and perhaps its place in the history of Western fabrications and deception regarding the origins of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict.
Austin
I read this book after 9/11 in my effort to try to understand what might have precipitated the events of that tragic day.
☯Bettie☯
H:\non-fiction

Read by Mary Woods.

This is rather weighted to the one side, under cover of 'scholarly' research
yaoknerd
hoax
Laura Smoot
Laura Smoot marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Donald Forster
Donald Forster marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Eve Stern
Eve Stern marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Brandan
Brandan marked it as to-read
Sep 04, 2014
Quentanimous Howdrosis
Quentanimous Howdrosis marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Julia
Julia is currently reading it
Aug 30, 2014
Avner Ben israel
Avner Ben israel marked it as to-read
Aug 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Not Your Mother's Life Cooking with Love the Anglo-Indian Way: The Best Recipes for Every-Day Cooking and Special Occasions Military Records, Pensions Applications, Heirs at Law and Civil War Military Records from the Fauquier County, Virginia Court Minute Books 1840-1904 Making Costumes for School Plays Making Costumes For Plays