Start by marking “Shadowland (Cassandra Palmer, #4.2)” as Want to Read:
Shadowland (Cassandra Palmer, #4.2)

Shadowland (Cassandra Palmer #4.2)

4.15 of 5 stars 4.15  ·  rating details  ·  917 ratings  ·  68 reviews
A John Pritkin short, available for free on Karen Chance’s website and Smashwords.com.

"Shadowland" is a novella set between Curse the Dawn (Cassie Palmer #4) and Hunt the Moon (Cassie Palmer #5). It should be read after "A Family Affair".

* Contains spoilers for the first four Cassandra Palmer books.
ebook, Free read, 54 pages
Published November 28th 2012 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Shadowland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadowland

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClareThe Golden Lily by Richelle MeadLover Reborn by J.R. WardRapture by Lauren KateBiting Cold by Chloe Neill
Paranormal Titles for 2012!
150th out of 421 books — 1,375 voters
Clockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareBloodlines by Richelle MeadCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareSilence by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare
MOST AWAITED BOOKS 2011/2012!
136th out of 466 books — 965 voters

More lists with this book...

Aly is so frigging bored
Favorite quote:
John looked back at Cassie. “Where—” he cleared his throat. “Where did you get the weapons?”
“Downstairs,” she told him happily. “The senate’s using this as a base now, remember? It’s like Guns R Us down there.”
“But they must have guards—“
“Of course.”
“--and you’re without your powers. How did you get in?”
She looked at him like he might be slow. “I’m pythia. I told them to unlock the goddamned door.”

I swear, this series is the bestest UF I have ever read!
Feminista
Awesome!

I am glad that I finally got to read from Pritkin's point of view. XD
Anna
Nov 29, 2012 Anna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommended to Anna by: Lannister
A free short story on Karen chance's website. (Back up on 27/28 Nov 2012) This one is for hard core fans of Cassie Palmer and Pritkin. Chance makes no pretence of making this story accessible to anyone who has not read the Cassie books. However, since it is on her website, casual readers are unlikely to stumble over it.
Probably the most confusing KC short story I have read, with multiple dual characters, time loops and it took me a while to work out the time frame (it seemed to be set after A F
Jen (Red Hot Books)
This is a wild ride --another Pritkin POV that takes place on the heels of "A Family Affair." It starts out with Cassie's death (Yikes!) and follows Pritkin as he seeks revenge against his father for her fiery demise.

It's cool how the story unravels --and how we get back to the timeline of the novels. Obviously, for instance, Cassie can't stay dead. And it's all action until the very end.

You definitely should read the other Prikin story first. You don't have to read these bonus stories to stick
Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
It's the amazing disappearing reappearing novella! But I have to say it was worth the wait and a great follow up to A Family Affair. John is a great character and the scenes with Casanova and Cassie were priceless!

You can snap this up for free on the author's website here http://www.karenchance.com/shadowland...
Ellen
I know it isn't completely finished and that she pulled it from her website because she wasn't completely happy with it but I can't wait to read the final version and learn more about Pritkin. I mean what I read so far was amazing.
Kate
That is one sexy cover.
Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* .
I can never get enough of Karen Chance. This author has a way with words, story and characters all wrapped up in a neat little urban fantasy bow that simply knocks your socks off! In this 81 page short story, we get to see John Pritkin at it again. I love everything about this character, especially when we get a short with his POV.

Cassie is still in the cross hairs and she has a never ending line of enemies vying to kill her. Pritkin, her protector and friend does all he can to keep her safe. B
Exina
“Your viewpoint isn’t the only viewpoint; your logic isn’t the only logic.”

‘Shadowland’ is a sequel to ’A Family Affair’.
Another assassination attempt takes place against Cassie – this time it seems to be successful. The grief-stricken, guilt-loaded, vengeful Pritkin goes to Shadowland – formerly a marketplace, now the capital and main meeting place of Hells – to find and kill Rosier whom he considers responsible for the outrage.
“All his training, all the meticulous plans and preparations,
Anita
Yeah! This story came back to the website! It was really entertaining. You get to see how dearly Pritkin actually loves Cassie, then you get to see him in the demon realm with his scary flying demon pet, and then you get to see Cassie pull an amazing piece of magic out of her ass. Well, not literally. All this after she dies. Awesome! And with a funny, happy ending, too. Yipee Kay Yay MTF, indeed. You also learn more about Pritkin's dad and Casanova.
Nicole
Dec 08, 2012 Nicole added it
Great story, that prooves that Pritkin is a Disney Princess in disguise.
Melannie :)
Feb 01, 2011 Melannie :) marked it as to-read
Pritkin is the best!
Ana
Karen Chance keeps suprising me! This short is written a little differently. Seems to be more agressive and more imaginative. It would be, perhaps, a little intense for the novels but worked perfectly in this! It's exciting and heart-stopping! And there is so much Pritkin! For me, that's simply ideal! Rosier is also a nice addition! John and Rosier have such a complicated relationship that it's always interesting to see even the smallest interation between them.

This short however makes me miss J
Liv
I couldn't help but bounced on my seat when I found out that Ms. Chance had posted Shadowland on her website. I can't tell you how long I've waited for this!!! I've been Pritkin-starved for way too long!!!

As usual, Cassie attracted the attention of a gazillion bad guys and they all seemed to want her dead for a variety of reasons. And as expected, Pritkin would jump in to save her. Only this time, things seemed to have gone awry and Pritkin believed that he had lost Cassie for real this time!! W
Loons
Great little story. I love Casanova- such a drama queen!

This following part just cracked me up!

"“Do something!” he told Rosier.

But the demon—damn his hide—was just standing there, lighting a cigarette. “And what would you have me do?”

“You’re a council member!”

“Yes, and I would normally call on the council’s guards to protect me.” His lips twisted. “Unfortunately, they’re already here.”

“Then…then use magic! Do some sort of a curse. You’re a demon!”

“I’m one demon. They are many demons. See how tha
Deena
I was very excited to find that this one is now available on Ms. Chance's website - yay! And I even managed to read it sitting up to my lap top despite back spasms - such a dedicated reader!!

I still like Cassie, and I enjoy getting the Pritkin POV. That being said, I didn't love this particular story. It's very long (for a "short") but we don't really learn anything, and apparently Cassie doesn't either. Yes, I know that in a short that comes between books it wouldn't really make sense to have a
Jackie
Book Synopsis

* Contains spoilers for the first four Cassandra Palmer books.

My Thoughts

As usual Cassie is in need of being rescued, John Pritkin is his brooding self and the entire action packed chain of events goes by at lightning speed with bits of background h
Jenevieve
Check out all my reviews on My Blog

A Cassie Palmer novella. A bomb has gotten through all the security and blown Cassie to bits which sends John on a mission to kill his father whom he blames for killing Cassie....except Cassie is not really dead but instead stuck in a time loop thanks to her Pythia powers. She is unable to escape the loop but even when she dies, she comes back and repeats the pattern. The only way for her to get unstuck in time is to have all those who were in the room with her
Eldarwen
The beginning is quite simply awesome and I almost cried a tear over Marco - that big vamp is starting to grow on me. Genius beginning for sure and the story unravels quite nicely.
I have to admit though that I was quite surprised at how dense Pritkin can be when he's stuck in stubborn mode!

Awesome read in any case with a nutty Rosier in the midst of it. That demon lord is one crazy nut - can't wait to read more of him in book 7!
Zarah
I LOVE Pritkin. If Pritkin was real, he'd be 1-5 on my "freebie list" and I'd be one happily squealing groupie/stalker.

This is a great story (if a liiiittle bit confusing for a moment in the beginning), Pritkin is perfectly Pritkin'y and Cassie ends up as kick-ass-Cassie'ish as usual. Rockin'!

A few minor typos here & there, but I can live with those. And I also happily (and very enthusiastically) volunteer to proof-read anytime Karen Chance needs one. Really. ANYTIME! (Especially if there ar
Theresa
Short story continuation of ‘A Family Affair’. Mostly from John’s POV, but with some of Cassie and Casanova’s POV here and there.

After a massive brimstone attack on Cassie, John transports to the demon realm of Shadowland to get revenge on his father. Meanwhile, Cassie and Casanova are desperately trying to get out of a complicated and deadly time loop.

Then it becomes basically Pritkin, Casanova, Rian and Rosier’s adventures in Shadowland. My question is Cassie is supposed to be Mercea’s woma
Andrea
I really love this series. The books have been hinting around the fact that more than a friendship has been developing between Pritkin and Cassie despite their constant bickering and this story gives you more of a picture of John's side and feelings. It kinda ended abruptly so that's why I didn't give it the full 5 stars. I read the book that follows this story over a year ago when it came out and with the way that one ended, I can't wait to read the next book but will have to wait until 2013. O ...more
Holly
I don't usually like shorts, but Karen Chance packs hers with so much story and action, I can't help but enjoy them.
The Flooze
Though the tone of the story felt off in the beginning, it soon coalesced into Chance's usual non-stop lunacy. I'd almost forgotten her knack for laying down massive confusion, making my head swirl in a daze of details until suddenly everything falls into place with a resounding snick. And I love the final few pages, reinforcing the idea that Cassie has grown into a much more formidable force...when she actually puts her mind to it.

An entertaining novella that makes me wish the next Cassie book
Lorre
Shadowland is a free, it can be read online on Karen Chance's site or downloaded on Smashwords.

Shadowland was a nice addition to the Cassie Palmer series.
Cassie's life is in danger (again!) and when she tries not being killed something goes wrong (nothing new there either LOL, it's Cassie we're talking about).
Pritkin, thinking Cassie is dead, goes to the Shadowlands to avenge Cassie's death.

Don't read this short story if you haven't read the first 4 books of the series cause it contains some spo
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief im not actually mad!
your supposed to be able to go on karen chance's website and read the short stories, but half the books arnt working for me - including shadowland which is highly disappointing, maybe nxt time

________________________________________________________

LOVE LOVE LOVED IT!!!!!! i only wish the end had been more descriptive and went on for a little longer! but otherwise this novella was fantastic! somewhat confusing at the start but totally worth it :D
Mrichhh
I really, really loved this novella. Creating the time-loop with Cassie stuck in it was a really cool idea, and I loved reading Pritkin's anguish when he thought that she was dead. I also loved Beren, Pritkin's childhood friend/pet. Super cute. Finally, I loved the epilogue portion when they get back and Cassie is leading her vampires in a full-on assault on the demons. Hilarious, and I'm so glad we could see her in that sort of a position.
Erin ~ (It's October, time for creepy books)
Again Karen Chance generously penned a long, free short stories for fans of her writing and series. Told through the POV of Joh Pritkin (many people's favorites, mine included), it shows him trying to protect Cassie and have that go all wrong. The woman is ridicuously unlucky - but lucky - at the same time. A little confusing but overall enjoyable, especially with the impatient and self-centered Cassanova's play in the part.
Lisa King
Okay, I've waited a long time to read this short story and I am not disappointed. I love getting to know Pritkin better and we do learn more about him and his attraction to Cassie. The antics continue as Cassie is almost killed...again, but, hey, she's Pythia and someone is always trying to kill her. This time, they almost succeed but Cassie is as resilient as ever.

Entertaining and well worth the wait.
Tiki
Great novella!! Best read between book 4 & 5. Oh, John Pritkin...who wouldn't want him keeping them safe - Cassie's a lucky, crazy, much hunted girl! Another atempt is made on her life and Pritkin's in the thick of it, along with Casanova, who I come to really enjoy with his humorous, over the top frustration being associated with Cassie - something he can't avoid with Mircea as his master.
Karen Chance Fans: Shadowland 293 486 Jun 22, 2014 08:50AM
The Gauntlet By Karen Chance Available In New Mammoth Book Of Paranormal Romance 1 11 Oct 04, 2010 11:31PM
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Curran; Magic Strikes Hot Tub Scene (Curran POV, #4)
  • Wasted (Elemental Assassin #2.7)
  • Magic Gifts (Kate Daniels, #5.4)
  • Shadow City (Horngate Witches, #3)
  • Trouble on Reserve (The Hollows, #10.5)
  • Violet Tendencies (Sabina Kane, #2.5)
  • Sins of the Demon (Kara Gillian, #4)
  • The Mortal Bone (Hunter Kiss, #4)
  • Scouting Jasmine (Jaz Parks, #0.5)
  • Wrong Ways Down (Downside Ghosts, #1.5)
  • Have Stakes, Will Travel (Jane Yellowrock, #4.5)
  • Originally Human (World of Lupi, #1.5)
Karen Chance is the author of two New York Times bestselling series, plus a number of novellas and short stories, all set in the Cassandra Palmer universe. A full-time writer since 2008, she was previously a university history teacher, which comes in handy when writing the time-travel aspect of Cassie’s crazy adventures. She loves Las Vegas, the main setting for her novels, but currently lives in ...more
More about Karen Chance...
Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1) Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer, #3) Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, #4) Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2) Death's Mistress (Dorina Basarab, #2)