Start by marking “Shadowland (Cassandra Palmer, #4.2)” as Want to Read:
Shadowland (Cassandra Palmer, #4.2)

Shadowland (Cassandra Palmer #4.2)

4.14  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,147 Ratings  ·  73 Reviews
A John Pritkin short, available for free on Karen Chance’s website and Smashwords.com.

"Shadowland" is a novella set between Curse the Dawn (Cassie Palmer #4) and Hunt the Moon (Cassie Palmer #5). It should be read after "A Family Affair".

* Contains spoilers for the first four Cassandra Palmer books.
ebook, Free read, 54 pages
Published November 28th 2012 by Smashwords

To ask other readers questions about Shadowland, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadowland

City of Lost Souls by Cassandra ClareThe Golden Lily by Richelle MeadLover Reborn by J.R. WardRapture by Lauren KateBiting Cold by Chloe Neill
Paranormal Books for 2012!
151st out of 419 books — 1,371 voters
Clockwork Prince by Cassandra ClareBloodlines by Richelle MeadCity of Fallen Angels by Cassandra ClareSilence by Becca FitzpatrickCity of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare
MOST AWAITED BOOKS 2011/2012!
136th out of 465 books — 967 voters

More lists with this book...

Aly is so frigging bored
Favorite quote:
John looked back at Cassie. “Where—” he cleared his throat. “Where did you get the weapons?”
“Downstairs,” she told him happily. “The senate’s using this as a base now, remember? It’s like Guns R Us down there.”
“But they must have guards—“
“Of course.”
“--and you’re without your powers. How did you get in?”
She looked at him like he might be slow. “I’m pythia. I told them to unlock the goddamned door.”

I swear, this series is the bestest UF I have ever read!
Feminista
Aug 27, 2013 Feminista rated it it was amazing
Awesome!

I am glad that I finally got to read from Pritkin's point of view. XD
Anna
Nov 29, 2012 Anna rated it really liked it
Recommended to Anna by: Lannister
A free short story on Karen chance's website. (Back up on 27/28 Nov 2012) This one is for hard core fans of Cassie Palmer and Pritkin. Chance makes no pretence of making this story accessible to anyone who has not read the Cassie books. However, since it is on her website, casual readers are unlikely to stumble over it.
Probably the most confusing KC short story I have read, with multiple dual characters, time loops and it took me a while to work out the time frame (it seemed to be set after A F
Cathy
Another fun freebie available on the author's website. It's quite a good story for fans, getting a bit into the relationship between John and his dad and John's background, showing a bit more of how the incubuses (incubi?) operate and live. I also enjoyed seeing a more proactive and tough side of Cassie, and how much John enjoyed seeing it as well. As usual with Chance, there was a good mix of drama, excitement, emotion, and humor.
Jen (Red Hot Books)
Jul 29, 2013 Jen (Red Hot Books) rated it really liked it
This is a wild ride --another Pritkin POV that takes place on the heels of "A Family Affair." It starts out with Cassie's death (Yikes!) and follows Pritkin as he seeks revenge against his father for her fiery demise.

It's cool how the story unravels --and how we get back to the timeline of the novels. Obviously, for instance, Cassie can't stay dead. And it's all action until the very end.

You definitely should read the other Prikin story first. You don't have to read these bonus stories to stick
Lynsey   • The Demon Librarian
It's the amazing disappearing reappearing novella! But I have to say it was worth the wait and a great follow up to A Family Affair. John is a great character and the scenes with Casanova and Cassie were priceless!

You can snap this up for free on the author's website here http://www.karenchance.com/shadowland...
Ellen
Aug 27, 2010 Ellen rated it it was amazing
I know it isn't completely finished and that she pulled it from her website because she wasn't completely happy with it but I can't wait to read the final version and learn more about Pritkin. I mean what I read so far was amazing.
Kate
Dec 20, 2012 Kate rated it it was amazing
That is one sexy cover.
Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* .
I can never get enough of Karen Chance. This author has a way with words, story and characters all wrapped up in a neat little urban fantasy bow that simply knocks your socks off! In this 81 page short story, we get to see John Pritkin at it again. I love everything about this character, especially when we get a short with his POV.

Cassie is still in the cross hairs and she has a never ending line of enemies vying to kill her. Pritkin, her protector and friend does all he can to keep her safe. B
Exina
“Your viewpoint isn’t the only viewpoint; your logic isn’t the only logic.”

Shadowland is a sequel to A Family Affair.

Another assassination attempt takes place against Cassie – this time it seems to be successful. The grief-stricken, guilt-loaded, vengeful Pritkin goes to Shadowland – formerly a marketplace, now the capital and main meeting place of Hells – to find and kill Rosier whom he considers responsible for the outrage.
“All his training, all the meticulous plans and preparations, had
aja
(i'm including this in my book list for the year to mark the fact that i read like five of these things, but they're so short i'm only including one to be?? fair??? i guess?????? idk. yeah.)

omfg I can't breathe there r literally tears streaming down my face I AM AT WORK GODDAMMIT and by the end I was laughing so much I almost threw up

OKAY

wow this one was a doozy lol

pritkin!!!! PRITKIN!!!!!!! so absolutely destroyed when he thought cassie had died, incandescent with rage and so determined to aven
Anita
Dec 03, 2012 Anita rated it really liked it
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Yeah! This story came back to the website! It was really entertaining. You get to see how dearly Pritkin actually loves Cassie, then you get to see him in the demon realm with his scary flying demon pet, and then you get to see Cassie pull an amazing piece of magic out of her ass. Well, not literally. All this after she dies. Awesome! And with a funny, happy ending, too. Yipee Kay Yay MTF, indeed. You also learn more about Pritkin's dad and Casanova.
Torzilla
Sep 18, 2013 Torzilla rated it it was amazing
Shelves: e-book, read-in-2013
Crack is gone now :( Time to wait another two years before the next Cassie book...sigh.
Nicole
Dec 08, 2012 Nicole added it
Great story, that prooves that Pritkin is a Disney Princess in disguise.
Melannie :)
Feb 01, 2011 Melannie :) marked it as to-read
Pritkin is the best!
Ana
Nov 11, 2013 Ana rated it really liked it
Karen Chance keeps suprising me! This short is written a little differently. Seems to be more agressive and more imaginative. It would be, perhaps, a little intense for the novels but worked perfectly in this! It's exciting and heart-stopping! And there is so much Pritkin! For me, that's simply ideal! Rosier is also a nice addition! John and Rosier have such a complicated relationship that it's always interesting to see even the smallest interation between them.

This short however makes me miss J
Liv
Dec 05, 2012 Liv rated it it was amazing
I couldn't help but bounced on my seat when I found out that Ms. Chance had posted Shadowland on her website. I can't tell you how long I've waited for this!!! I've been Pritkin-starved for way too long!!!

As usual, Cassie attracted the attention of a gazillion bad guys and they all seemed to want her dead for a variety of reasons. And as expected, Pritkin would jump in to save her. Only this time, things seemed to have gone awry and Pritkin believed that he had lost Cassie for real this time!! W
Loons
Feb 05, 2013 Loons rated it really liked it
Great little story. I love Casanova- such a drama queen!

This following part just cracked me up!

"“Do something!” he told Rosier.

But the demon—damn his hide—was just standing there, lighting a cigarette. “And what would you have me do?”

“You’re a council member!”

“Yes, and I would normally call on the council’s guards to protect me.” His lips twisted. “Unfortunately, they’re already here.”

“Then…then use magic! Do some sort of a curse. You’re a demon!”

“I’m one demon. They are many demons. See how tha
Deena
Dec 02, 2012 Deena rated it liked it
I was very excited to find that this one is now available on Ms. Chance's website - yay! And I even managed to read it sitting up to my lap top despite back spasms - such a dedicated reader!!

I still like Cassie, and I enjoy getting the Pritkin POV. That being said, I didn't love this particular story. It's very long (for a "short") but we don't really learn anything, and apparently Cassie doesn't either. Yes, I know that in a short that comes between books it wouldn't really make sense to have a
Jackie
Book Synopsis

* Contains spoilers for the first four Cassandra Palmer books.

My Thoughts

As usual Cassie is in need of being rescued, John Pritkin is his brooding self and the entire action packed chain of events goes by at lightning speed with bits of background h
Jenevieve
Dec 07, 2013 Jenevieve rated it really liked it
Shelves: kindle-books
Check out all my reviews on My Blog

A Cassie Palmer novella. A bomb has gotten through all the security and blown Cassie to bits which sends John on a mission to kill his father whom he blames for killing Cassie....except Cassie is not really dead but instead stuck in a time loop thanks to her Pythia powers. She is unable to escape the loop but even when she dies, she comes back and repeats the pattern. The only way for her to get unstuck in time is to have all those who were in the room with her
Zarah
Nov 28, 2012 Zarah rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-stories
I LOVE Pritkin. If Pritkin was real, he'd be 1-5 on my "freebie list" and I'd be one happily squealing groupie/stalker.

This is a great story (if a liiiittle bit confusing for a moment in the beginning), Pritkin is perfectly Pritkin'y and Cassie ends up as kick-ass-Cassie'ish as usual. Rockin'!

A few minor typos here & there, but I can live with those. And I also happily (and very enthusiastically) volunteer to proof-read anytime Karen Chance needs one. Really. ANYTIME! (Especially if there ar
Theresa
Apr 28, 2014 Theresa rated it really liked it
Short story continuation of ‘A Family Affair’. Mostly from John’s POV, but with some of Cassie and Casanova’s POV here and there.

After a massive brimstone attack on Cassie, John transports to the demon realm of Shadowland to get revenge on his father. Meanwhile, Cassie and Casanova are desperately trying to get out of a complicated and deadly time loop.

Then it becomes basically Pritkin, Casanova, Rian and Rosier’s adventures in Shadowland. My question is Cassie is supposed to be Mercea’s woma
Andrea
Aug 24, 2014 Andrea rated it it was amazing
I really love this series. The books have been hinting around the fact that more than a friendship has been developing between Pritkin and Cassie despite their constant bickering and this story gives you more of a picture of John's side and feelings. It kinda ended abruptly so that's why I didn't give it the full 5 stars. I read the book that follows this story over a year ago when it came out and with the way that one ended, I can't wait to read the next book but will have to wait until 2013. O ...more
Holly
Apr 03, 2014 Holly rated it really liked it
I don't usually like shorts, but Karen Chance packs hers with so much story and action, I can't help but enjoy them.
The Flooze
Though the tone of the story felt off in the beginning, it soon coalesced into Chance's usual non-stop lunacy. I'd almost forgotten her knack for laying down massive confusion, making my head swirl in a daze of details until suddenly everything falls into place with a resounding snick. And I love the final few pages, reinforcing the idea that Cassie has grown into a much more formidable force...when she actually puts her mind to it.

An entertaining novella that makes me wish the next Cassie book
Sherri
Jul 22, 2015 Sherri rated it it was amazing
All right. At first, I was like, oh lord, do I really have to read Pritkin whining for the entire book? I mean, it was pretty obvious it wasn't Rosier who was coordinating everything - I mean, he goes through great lengths to make sure his son stays alive - so I figured I would just read it through, roll my eyes, and move on.

But this was amazing. Casanova is quickly becoming one of my favorite characters, and Cassie at the end? Best. Thing. Ever.

Also, kind of starting to ship Rosier/Casanova. No
Lorre
Oct 12, 2013 Lorre rated it really liked it
Shelves: t-b-r, web-book
Shadowland is a free, it can be read online on Karen Chance's site or downloaded on Smashwords.

Shadowland was a nice addition to the Cassie Palmer series.
Cassie's life is in danger (again!) and when she tries not being killed something goes wrong (nothing new there either LOL, it's Cassie we're talking about).
Pritkin, thinking Cassie is dead, goes to the Shadowlands to avenge Cassie's death.

Don't read this short story if you haven't read the first 4 books of the series cause it contains some spo
Carolin
Jan 24, 2015 Carolin rated it really liked it
Shelves: 4-stars
I liked it. It was the right amount of not knowing what to expect and to know juste nough to be curious about it.
♥ Ashleigh ♥  contrary to popular belief im not actually mad!
your supposed to be able to go on karen chance's website and read the short stories, but half the books arnt working for me - including shadowland which is highly disappointing, maybe nxt time

________________________________________________________

LOVE LOVE LOVED IT!!!!!! i only wish the end had been more descriptive and went on for a little longer! but otherwise this novella was fantastic! somewhat confusing at the start but totally worth it :D
Karen Chance Fans: Shadowland 293 491 Jun 22, 2014 08:50AM
The Gauntlet By Karen Chance Available In New Mammoth Book Of Paranormal Romance 1 11 Oct 04, 2010 11:31PM
  • Chicks Kick Butt
  • Wasted (Elemental Assassin, #2.7)
  • Curran; Magic Strikes Hot Tub Scene (Curran POV, #4)
  • Blood Winter (Horngate Witches, #4)
  • Have Stakes, Will Travel (Jane Yellowrock, #4.5)
  • Trouble on Reserve (The Hollows, #10.5)
  • Scouting Jasmine (Jaz Parks, #0.5)
  • No Sooner Met (October Daye, #8.2)
  • Home (Downside Ghosts, #3.6)
  • The Mortal Bone (Hunter Kiss, #4)
  • Violet Tendencies (Sabina Kane, #2.5)
  • Magic Gifts (Kate Daniels, #5.4)
Karen Chance is the author of two New York Times bestselling series, plus a number of novellas and short stories, all set in the Cassandra Palmer universe. A full-time writer since 2008, she was previously a university history teacher, which comes in handy when writing the time-travel aspect of Cassie’s crazy adventures. She loves Las Vegas, the main setting for her novels, but currently lives in ...more
More about Karen Chance...

Cassandra Palmer (9 books)
  • Touch the Dark (Cassandra Palmer, #1)
  • Claimed By Shadow (Cassandra Palmer, #2)
  • Embrace the Night (Cassandra Palmer, #3)
  • Curse the Dawn (Cassandra Palmer, #4)
  • Strange Brew
  • Hunt the Moon (Cassandra Palmer, #5)
  • Tempt the Stars (Cassandra Palmer, #6)
  • Reap the Wind (Cassandra Palmer, #7)
  • Ride the Storm (Cassandra Palmer, #8)