Start by marking “Kicked, Bitten, and Scratched: Life and Lessons at the World's Premier School for Exotic Animal Trainers” as Want to Read:

3.9 of 5 stars 3.90  ·  rating details  ·  457 ratings  ·  67 reviews
A rare and absolutely enchanting look inside the Harvard of wild animal wranglers
As is obvious to anyone who has read her most e-mailed "New York Times" article of 2006, ?What Shamu Taught Me About a Happy Marriage, ? Amy Sutherland knows a thing or two about animals. In "Kicked, Bitten, and Scratched," she takes readers behind the gates of Moorpark Community College, wh...more
Published June 1st 2006 by Penguin Books (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Kicked, Bitten, and Scratched, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kicked, Bitten, and Scratched

Mila
Amy Sutherland tackles an interested subject in this book and succeeds in describing "life" with believable detail but falls somewhat short of the promised "lessons." She refrains from passing judgement of any kind, or really even exploring the issues, of a fairly controversial subject. I would have appreciated some discussion of the ethics of keeping zoo animals as student projects or even some sort of summary of the "lessons" applicable to life in general. Sutherland barely brushes the surface...more
Tristan
I was drawn to this book by the Op-Ed that Sutherland wrote promoting it when it came out. The piece, titled What Shamu Taught Me About My Marriage, was about applying animal training techniques to humans, specifically her husband.

In the first 100 pages that I was able to read before I completely lost interest, there was very little discussion of animal behavior. The book details life at the Exotic Animal Training and Management program at Moorpark Community College, but never gets close to any...more
Cj
Pretty tasty mind candy, especially for me since I consider a fish tank the ideal pet. It seemed like a very good perspective on those, to me, odd folk who are willing to put up with a great deal of crap (in every sense of that word) to be around animals.

The title sums up things pretty nicely. This is NOT a book about animal training, it is a book about the people (and animals) involved in the two-year EATM program at Moorpark college.

I am kinda sensitive to overly dramatic prose, and at times S...more
Lauren Paprocki
I read the book Kicked, Bitten, and Scratched: Life and Lessons at the World's Premier School for Exotic Animal Trainers by Amy Sutherland. In this novel it describes every aspect of life working at the famous Moorpark Teaching Zoo. In every chapter the book touches on different areas at the zoo and tells numerous memories and stories that different students their have come across. I give this book a 5 star rating because of my passion for animals and how it hides no secrets in sharing hot ruthl...more
Brittany
I can see the point of the people here who have complained that the book lacked focus. Sutherland was faced with a rather difficult situation: She wanted to talk about a place, and to chronicle the inhabitants of that place, both animal and human (or animals, both human and non-, if you prefer). However, there were two many of both ilks to follow in any comprehensible way. So instead she chose the non-traditional route of profiling the place rather than the people. This did mean that characters...more
Mollie
Dec 19, 2007 Mollie rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: animal lovers
A NYT article about how learning about animal behavior was better than marriage counseling prompted journalist Amy Sutherland to write a whole book about it. A self described animal lover, she spends a year at the exotic animal training college, Moorpark, in CA, following a year of students through the main travails and trials of the year. It is definitely a very interesting book, and you learn all sorts of factoids about animals and get a glimpse into the world of animal training--which one rar...more
Elise
Aug 15, 2008 Elise rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people obsessed with animals
This book was neither fish nor fowl. The location was very interesting and the stories were crazy and unbelievable. But the decision to follow dozens of students, teachers, and animals made it hard to get connected. I had a lot of trouble remembering who was who, despite the descriptions of "shoulder-length chestnut hair" or "big brown eyes" or whatever. And I still don't know what the hell a cavy is.

I think a strong-handed editor could have helped. Or really, a total reorganization of how the b...more
Keegan
Of course this was a book in my mom's library that I read while I was taking care of her exotic animal farm while she was out of town. I'd never heard of this school before my mom told me about this book. Really fascinating. Unlike my mom, I am not at all interested in attending such a school (--my grandma's words: "You couldn't *pay* me to go to such a school."), but I enjoyed reading about it. It was probably more interesting to me because my mom is such an animal person than it would have bee...more
Helen Dunn
This is my favorite type of nonfiction - getting a good look inside the inner workings of a tiny subculture - in this case, a college program for animal trainers at a California teaching zoo. Unfortunately, I didn't like this particular book very much.

The primary characters (human and animal) all kind of blurred together and it felt like little more than a blow by blow account of daily chores. When dramatic things happen during the course of the school year, it was hard to care because I had no...more
Ashley
This was a fabulous book a very different from the usual books on animals that I find myself reading. A great look at the ups and downs of students going through the two year program there. This is not an explanation at how perfect a job with animals is, but a realistic look at the profession, from the low salaries and job shortages to the PETA controversy and the evolution of animal training. A great book for anyone looking to get into the animal field and have yet to be bitten. Because whether...more
Crystal

This book was an interesting look at the Moorpark College's animal training program. It follows the students through their joys and failures during the rigorous program. The book was especially interesting to me because of my profession. Working with animals can be one of the toughest yet rewarding fields to be involved in and this book illustrated that well. The writing did get sloppy at time and sometimes the writer used so many names you forgot what animal or person they were referring to. A...more
Aimi
For an animal lover, this was a great read! It was really fascinating to learn the ins and outs of training and caring for exotic animals. It's truly quite amazing the things they can do with all sorts of animals that you'd never think could be trained. Not only is it about animals, it's about the students and their experience at this rare zoo school. Did you know that about 95% of movie animal trainers, dog trainers, and other exotic animal trainers have gone to this school? If you've ever wond...more
A journalist's account of students' first year in the exotic animal training program at Moorpark College in CA. A well done book, it certainly convinced me I should have no regrets in having not tried for this program. It was a great read, but I was disappointed to see how little really happens in the program (though the somewhat sketchy origins, so common in the exotic animal field, are quite interesting). I recommend this to anyone considering an exotic animal career, it totally nails both the...more
a dollar store find

I picked this book up because when I was a kid working with animals would have been a dream job of mine.

In 'Kicked Bitten and Scratched' journalist Amy Sutherland chronicles the year she spent with students at the grueling exotic animal training program at Moorpark College in CA.

If you are looking for a 'how-to' you won't find it here, but I wasn't expecting it to be one. This is more about the lives of the trainers than the animals. I found it an interesting and entertaining...more
Claudine
First of all, this book had so many spelling errors 1/2 way through to the end of the adventure that it took away from the reading experience totally. When little errors like missing the 't' in 'student' show up, I get a bit cranky.
Additional spaces with words also bothered me.
The adventure itself was interesting, but I found that for the last 4 chapters of the book that I didn't CARE anymore as to what happened to the students. Poor writing or too long of a book??? Not sure, but I kept going ti...more
Jenna
I really, really enjoyed this book. Books about the day to day lives of people with weird jobs fascinate me, as does training large and dangerous animals. However, this book is also an example of what happens when publishers cut corners on editing. While the overall story was well done, there were acronyms used randomly with no explanation, names used confusingly, and a few other touches that probably would have been easily remedied by a good editor.

But despite that, I would still highly recomme...more
Jonathan
I read this book because of Amy Sutherland's piece in the New York Times about using animal training techniques on her husband (http://www.nytimes.com/2006/06/25/fas...). If you want more like that, don't read this book. If, however, you would like a close-up of the EATM animal training school, a no-romance look at animal training and the hazards (physical, emotional, psychological), this is the book for you. Sutherland give a frank look into what must surely be one of the most stressful educati...more
Mary Christine Delea
Well-written and engaging, this book focuses on one year at a school for those who wish to work with animals. The students from this year are a diverse group, which makes the account even more enjoyable, and the reader gets a good sense of each student. The animals, of course, are just as important and just as diverse, and although they are "used" to humans, they are still wild animals. This is a great book for anyone interested in animals and anyone curious about the people who choose to work w...more
Andrew
This was a very enjoyable read - a year in the life of a (the) school for animal trainers, and the students, faculty, and critters that make it up. It read more like a novel than most non-fiction texts.

Of course, with such a large cast, I found myself getting confused ... hmmmm ... "Legend", what breed was he? (She?) Or was it a nickname for one of the teachers? The author did often intersperse a description with the name - too often for some readers, but not quite enough for me!
Linnae
Sutherland follows one class all the way through their first year at the school. At times it seemed a bit scattered, as she kept tabs on so many different people, plus the animals that all had names and personalities.

Interesting. Gave me some food for thought.Sometimes books like this make me wish I could try it out for myself; this one, not so much. I enjoy having a dog, who probably should be officially trained at some point, but that's about enough for me.
Amberjean
While the subject matter is really interesting, the writing is not so much. I suppose I've been spoiled by some really well-written non-fiction, but this just fell a little flat, like a really long trip report rather than an integrated story. I guess the lesson is, just because it's not fiction, doesn't mean it doesn't need a story. I enjoyed it, but someone less interested in behaviorism, or the logistics of running a zoo, probably wouldn't.
Desiree
Supremely entertaining, especially if you know anyone who has worked in the zoo industry... Well-written, moving, and educational. I did wish that she re-stated which animal was which rather than so often using just names, especially in the beginning, or that there was a cast of characters or something... and male readers might wish that she focused slightly less on peoples' outfits and builds, but overall excellent.
Kim
An absorbing account of what it takes to learn how to work with exotic animals. Not the greatest writing style, but the subject matter more than makes up for it.

Being a zookeeper was always my secret dream, but after reading this, I cannot imagine having the dedication to work so many long hours for very little (tangible) reward. It was so interesting to learn what it really takes- I will probably read this book again.
Caitlin
This book follows the students of a exotic animal training zoo at Moorpark college in California. What classes they must take, what animals they must train, and what tasks they need to do to pass.

I enjoy this book, I kind of which she had focused more on just a few people because sometimes you had no idea who she was taking about. But It was a fun read never the less.
Amanda
Really fascinating insight into the world of animal training. Very well written. My only bone with it was the author's introduction - contrary to her own experience, you should NOT feed turtles iceberg lettuce, you should NOT release your domestic rabbit into the wild, and you should neuter your dogs. Amen. (Luckily this had nothing to do with the content of the book).
Elizabeth
Considering I borrowed this from a friend who found it at the Dollar Store it was pretty darn good. Sutherland is a good researcher. It was an interesting topic to read about as I had never given it much thought before. (I watched Evan Almighty for the first time right after reading this and had to scan the credits to see if I recognized any of the animal trainers names (0:)
Kim
As an aspiring animal trainer this book is teaching me a lot about the craft and it true to the life of a trainer. The book gives great insight into the profession. I don't care for Ms. Sutherland's journalistic writing style. She has a lot of names that is rather hard to remember, but she makes all her characters (including the animals) come alive.
Lisa
I really enjoyed this book. Most people assume that zoo keepers and animal trainers are uneducated people who scoop poop all day and this book shows differently. It describes what they go through and the dedication that these animal lovers have. It pays respect to the the long hours and low pay they deal with to do what they were called to do.
Lisa
Having lived in Simi Valley and having attended Moorpark College's institute, which our stake president, who lived in our ward, ran; it was just fun because it was Moorpark College. But it was very interesting: following the students for a whole year and where some ended up and how they coped with the pressure and stress. I enjoyed reading it.
Korynn
A nice survey of a year of schooling at Moorpark, indeed a school for folk who desire to work with exotic animals such as tigers or monkeys. The author rarely intrudes and gives a detailed, fairly well-balanced account of the politics and history of the school along with lots of day to day workings of the compound and its animal inhabitants.
  • The Rhino with Glue-On Shoes: And Other Surprising True Stories of Zoo Vets and their Patients
  • Soul of a Lion: One Woman's Quest to Rescue Africa's Wildlife Refugees
  • Babylon's Ark: The Incredible Wartime Rescue of the Baghdad Zoo
  • Reaching the Animal Mind: Clicker Training and What It Teaches Us About All Animals
  • Zoo Story: Life in the Garden of Captives
  • Elephant Memories: Thirteen Years in the Life of an Elephant Family
  • Zamba: The True Story of the Greatest Lion That Ever Lived
  • Fowl Weather
  • 100 Heartbeats: A Journey to Meet Our Planet's Endangered Animals and the Heroes Working to Save Them
  • Don't Look Behind You!: A Safari Guide's Encounters with Ravenous Lions, Stampeding Elephants, and Lovesick Rhinos
  • All My Patients Have Tales: Favorite Stories from a Vet's Practice
  • The Wilderness Family: At Home with Africa's Wildlife
  • Best Friends: The True Story of the World's Most Beloved Animal Sanctuary
  • The Dog Who Loved Too Much: Tales, Treatments and the Psychology of Dogs
  • Animals Matter: A Biologist Explains Why We Should Treat Animals with Compassion and Respect
  • Soul of a Dog: Reflections on the Spirits of the Animals of Bedlam Farm
  • The Company of Wolves
  • The Daily Coyote: Story of Love, Survival, and Trust In the Wilds of Wyoming
What Shamu Taught Me About Life, Love, and Marriage: Lessons for People from Animals and Their Trainers Cookoff: Recipe Fever in America