Will Eisner Reader

Will Eisner Reader

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  9 reviews
A collection of brilliant short-story gems, including "A Sunset in Sunshine City"—an ode to memory and nostalgia inspired by Eisner's transition to life in Florida after his "retirement" in 1985.
Published November 17th 2008 by W. W. Norton & Company (first published 1991)

Mary Overton
"After a lifetime of anonymity spent in the middle Bronx - an uneventful youth spent in concrete school yards where he was a 'left-out' of choose-up games - and after 25 years as an unnoticed clerk at the city's parole board, Max Million, a lonely bachelor, finally retired. Whereupon he applied for a license as a private investigator." pg. 40

Opening line for a whimsical tale, "Detective Story: or Necromancy in the Bronx" ... My favorite of 7 light stories.

I also enjoyed "The Long Hit" about a mo...more
Kim
Both text and graphics tell gripping stories.

A Sunset in Sunshine City: Henry Klop's retirement leaves a lot to be desired.

The Telephone: Eight one page gags about the telephone.

Detective Story: With some help from the occult, Max Million becomes a detective and tracks down infamaous gangsters.

The Long Hit: 82-year-old retired hitman, Hockielozania, accidentally runs into the one man who escaped him and attempts to fulfill his age-old contract.

winning: Benny runs a marathon to prove himself.

The...more
Casper
This book was a gift, by a friend who loves graphic novels. We had a long conversation about famous authors of graphic novels, the ones he likes and the ones I like. One author he likes and I didn’t know about was Will Eisner. The next time I saw him he presented me with a copy of a graphic novel; he had a double. It was called The Will Eisner Reader, containing ‘7 graphic stories by a comics master’.
My experience with graphic novels so far has always been with long works like Maus, Persepolis,...more
Ben
I haven't read any Will Eisner before, so this was my first exposure to his work. I really enjoyed his art, which was slightly cartoony, but clear and descriptive. I'm just not sure it worked with all of the stories. Some of the stories were meant to have more of an emotional depth, but the cartoon characteristics undermined that. The best story was "Telephone", which is just a series of one-page montages of various people getting phone calls.
Cheryl
Eisner is a legend in the comic world but I am not sure this collection of short graphic stories is a good showcase. While the first one was interesting, there is an uneven quality to the remainder that make me feel like I was missing some key reference points. Because of this, I have rated it 3 stars -- the artwork does add a lot to otherwise flat tales.
Molly
I know I should like this, being Will Eisner and comics master and whatnot, but I found it kind of cheesey and Mad magazine-y (to steal a phrase from Ken).
Ero
deceptively easy-to-read and easy-to-look-at. These stories are lovely and beautifully drawn.
Saleris
I've read/viewed his work since I was a little girl and am much enriched for it.
Matt Piechocinski
Some shorts by the Master. Good stuff.
Steven Stadnicki
Steven Stadnicki marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2014
Brett
Brett added it
Dec 03, 2013
Dhara Cendekia
Dhara Cendekia marked it as to-read
Nov 03, 2013
Andy Li
Andy Li marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2013
Mr Bootle
Mr Bootle marked it as to-read
Sep 18, 2013
Babyfive
Babyfive marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2013
Man Solo
Man Solo marked it as to-read
May 10, 2013
« previous 1 3 4 next »
WILL EISNER was born on March 6, 1917 in Brooklyn, New York. By the time of his death on January 3, 2005, Will Eisner was recognized internationally as one of the giants in the field of sequential art, a term he coined.

In a career that spanned nearly eight decades -- from the dawn of the comic book to the advent of digital comics - Will Eisner was truly the 'Father of the Graphic Novel' and the 'O...more
More about Will Eisner...
A Contract With God and Other Tenement Stories Comics and Sequential Art The Contract With God Trilogy: Life on Dropsie Avenue Graphic Storytelling and Visual Narrative Will Eisner's New York: Life in the Big City