Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill (Betsy-Tacy, #3)

Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill (Betsy-Tacy #3)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  3,402 ratings  ·  100 reviews
Betsy, Tacy, and Tib can't wait to be ten. After all, getting two numbers in your age is the beginning of growing up—exciting things are bound to happen. And they do! The girls fall in love with the King of Spain, perform in the School Entertainment, and for the first time, go all the way over the Big Hill to Little Syria by themselves. There Betsy, Tacy, and Tib make new...more
Published April 5th 2000 by HarperCollins (first published 1942)

Melody
9/2012 Oh, Bob Ray, how I love you. I always refer to my own father as "practically perfect" because he's not Bob Ray. I love this book almost as much as I love Bob Ray. Everyone's personality is here, foreshadowing so much (just like Tib!) though this time through I did wonder when Dave's mom got her hearing back.

12/2009 This story finds Betsy, Tacy and Tib at ten years old. Their world is getting wider, and they are learning new things. This is the first time that the Lebanese settlement of L...more
Lisa Vegan
Jul 03, 2008 Lisa Vegan rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: all girls and women
Recommended to Lisa by: Ginny and CLM
I am so enjoying this series. This is the third book and possibly my favorite so far, and I liked the second book more than the first, but that's hard to say because they're all so good. I have the fourth one to read before I get to the (middle) two in the series which are the only two that I think I read as a girl; I'll remember when I read them if I did. I'm glad that this time I'm reading them in order from start to finish.

Maud Hart Lovelace is a talented storyteller and she has a vivid recol...more
Carmen Maloy
Oct 22, 2007 Carmen Maloy rated it 5 of 5 stars Recommends it for: Everyone
Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill is the third book in the timeless Betsy-Tacy-Tib series. In this latest chapter in the trio's childhood, the girls begin to develop with age and maturity. First the girls turned ten which is a big deal for them, especially for Betsy. They finally have two numbers for their age. The second big moment for the girls is they develop their very first crush on the newly annointed King of Spain named Alphonso. And the third pivotal moment in their young lives is when...more
Cheryl in CC NV
Probably my favorite so far. These little girls certainly are growing up fast. They're more charming than cute now as they explore issues of patriotism, bigotry, vanity, and of course family and friendship. I love how all that comes through with grace and subtlety, and the best part of these stories is just the pleasure of reading about their adventures and joy.
Lawrence
I read the Betsy and Tacy books for the joy of it, and this one does not disappoint. The series is plainly not about people frozen in time. I mean, the period stays the same, but, as in really good books, the people change. Here, our heroines turn ten years old --- an important age that they've been anticipating since the last book. They become more self-conscious in that they begin to think independently about how they should behave at their "advanced age". As realistically narrated, they are u...more
Matthew Hunter
Book 3 of the Betsy and Tacy series, and Maud Hart Lovelace continues to impress. Such a sweet story! It's impossible to reach the book's end without a smile on your face. Sure, it's a bit too perfect at the close as squabbles are resolved neatly and Syrian refugees are welcomed with open arms. It's cheesy, but I loved it. And the gleeful ending makes for a fun toddler read along experience.

It's interesting to compare Maud Hart Lovelace's handling of patriotism to that of Laura Ingalls Wilder. W...more
Megan
I didn't read this Betsy-Tacy book till I moved to California and had a renewed interest in the life of Maud Hart Lovelace after finding the friendship bench in Claremont.
I feel it may be her best story. Rather then being a series of vignettes, as most of her books are, it tells a lovely concise story about the Syrian refugee camp that the girls visit. And what they find there is what one finds at any Minnesota refugee camp: pure good hearted Christians who take Betsy, Tacy and Tib into their c...more
laaaaames
I have a cold dark heart, and even I cannot resist the joy and charm of rereading these books as an adult.

As a child I only read the first three.

As of Saturday I now own all of them.

If you suspect my stony disposition is showing signs of happiness over this fact as well as the anticipation of FIRST READS of books starring these beloved characters, you are quite right.

I definitely recommend purchasing (or library-ing) the new editions to anyone who enjoyed these as a kid. The forewards are wonder...more
Ginny Messina
Still 5 stars. It’s especially fun, as an adult, to see BT&T’s world growing bigger as they meet people from a different culture, confront bigotry, and travel to the edges—and beyond—of the Hill Street neighborhood. I especially loved meeting all the neighbors. Now, I’m looking forward to Sallie’s questions!
Jill
The girls' world is expanding and I love it! A definite favorite in the series so far. Of particular note is the huge quarrel that erupts between Betsy, Tacy, and Tib and the older sisters Julia and Katie about who gets to be the Queen of Summer. The mad dash for votes that results is the most perfect illustration of youth.

I also appreciate the notes at the end of each book that compare the story to Maud Hart Lovelace's own life. The books seem largely biographical, and now I'm wondering if the...more
Anna
While Besty, Tacy, and Tib dream up ways to make Tib queen, Betsy’s older sister, Julia, has plans to become Deep Valley’s summer queen on account of a song she sang at school. A signature drive to allow the residents of Deep Valley to choose the queen leads to Betsy, Tacy, and Tib going over the big hill to a neighborhood known as Little Syria for its large population of Syrian immigrants. The girls learn that the things they’d heard about the residents of Little Syria are not all true, and the...more
Marie
Feb 05, 2012 Marie rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Little House on the Prairie, History Lovers
Recommended to Marie by: Heather Vogel Frederick
Okay, so I at least remember that this book was really good. I read it a over a week ago and I've been really busy so I kind have a lot to remember for reviewing.

This book was just as childish (in a good way) as the first, but with more complex and mature struggles, ideas, and resolutions than the first books. I thought that Betsy, Tacy, and Tib really grew up in this story, they now had a desire for power, love, importance, and beauty. Their quarrel over whether Julia or Tib could be queen wa...more
Audrey
Irene
Aug 15, 2013 Irene rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: Elementary school aged girls
Shelves: children
Melissa
The Betsy Tacy series has had such a nostalgic effect on me, I am secretly wishing I was 9 years old again and lived at the turn of the century (the 20th century, that is).

Our Mother/Daughter book group meets Tuesday for our third meeting – and our book choice was the 3rd of the Betsy Tacy series – Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill.

I loved this one more than the other two. The first two in the series were essentially nothing more than a series of vignettes linked together. Over the Big Hill wa...more
Rachel
This one is probably the strongest of the series up to this point. The plot is more unified and structured, there's real conflict (well, pretty soft conflict by most standards, but still genuine), and some real issues are dealt with. The girls combat racism, for heaven's sake!

For whatever reason, I didn't remember this one as well as I did the first two. I didn't remember all the business with the King of Spain (although it was totally something I would have done at that age), and I didn't remem...more
Alison Stadt
Betsy, Tacy, and Tib can't wait to turn ten!

Some weird things happen to them because one time they fell in love with the king of Spain and they went over the big hill and went to little Syria all by themselves. There they make some friends that they really like. One day while they were in little Syria they heard sobbing they followed the sound around a corer and they were surprised to see there friend surrounded by boys. The boys were bulling her.
Betsy, Tacy, and Tib stopped the boys and then th...more
Josiphine
This is the first one with a true plot, one that progresses throughout the story. I love comparing this Julia with the one from the later books. It amazes me how Maud was able to turn children she'd written about into such believable adults. They aren't the same, exactly, but they do have similar characteristics.
Tracey Richardson
I read this when I was in the 8th grade. Although it was about little white girls, I totally got lost in the story. I don't know if this is what made me want to become a writer, but it certainly made me want to read - and I did all the time. Our small town in East Texas did not allow African-Americans to go to the non-public white library, so my first experience with ever being in a library was when I started 8th grade which was on the high-school campus. Mrs. Pittman was the librarian and altho...more
Shelley
The style of the books are starting to grow up here, along with Betsy, Tacy and Tib - the writing is more mature, and not all chapters are stand alone stories.

Reading these, I have to wonder why and how Tib put up with them for all those years! She was clearly the lesser person in their relationship, going so far as to comment that she usually had to wait on them (which is true). Betsy and Tacy play off each other perfectly, always knowing what the other is thinking, but Tib rarely gets what's...more
Jessica Robinson
This one makes a stab at racial tolerance in a 1940s sort of way that's still sweet even if it's pretty awkward. The books are getting more complicated and that's really making them more enjoyable.
Heidi
The books are definitely getting even more enjoyable as more in-depth plots are created instead of just a few collected stories. The girls are growing up, as are their sisters. Fun to see all the interactions. I loved meeting new characters. I loved the forgiveness part between Betsy and Julia.

I am really enjoying how the series is growing up with the girls. The age range for the book seems to fit with the age of the characters. I especially like that because one of my own ideas for a girls' se...more
Marcy
Give me the quiet peacefulness of this life. KIds playing outside without adults..pompom pull-a-away, creating your own fun...
The girls turn 10 and plan how they will change their lives now that they are grown up...changing their hair, saying "prefer", falling in love with the king of Spain, the beginning of their annual "cat" performance, and going over the big hill where they meet the Syrians. I find it fascinating that in 1943 Maude H. L. gives young girls the message that foreign people shou...more
Jeanne
Betsy, Tacy, and Tib are almost ten, and they just can't wait to be grown up. One by one, the girls turn ten and celebrate their new maturity.

While there are several mini-plots, a good portion of the novel concerns itself with a neighborhood in Deep Valley known as "Little Syria." It is there (over the big hill) that the girls will learn about another culture and make a new friend, Naifi.

While the story is Lovelace's usual combination of wholesome and sweet, the whole Little Syria bit is just...more
Abby
I am really enjoying these books. I love the relationships that are modeled between parents and kids and between siblings. They're like the anti-Disney Channel.
Alison
Loved it. As the girls turn 10, their world keeps growing, as do their adventures. Compared to the first two books in the series, I didn't remember much about this one, so it felt like I was reading it for the first time. Favorite parts: the girls' first "celebrity crush" and the Big Quarrel.
Emilia P
Betsy turns 10 and there is a surprise party! Betsy and Tacy and Tib decide they want to marry the King of Spain! They perform in a school performance! They meet a little girl from Little Syria named Naifi and get to visit Little Syria and learn how nice people are there.
There really was a Little Syria in turn of the century Mankato! Oh, Minnesota's strange and wonderful acceptance of refugee/immigrant groups you have a long history!

I enjoyed this book muchly of course, but I must say, I find it...more
Laurie
Feb 21, 2014 Laurie added it
Shelves: favorite-books
I love the sweet simplicity of life in Deep Valley. Just the best children's book series ever!
Bluerose's  Heart
Betsy and Tacy Go Over the Big Hill read as one big story as opposed to the first two books, which seemed more like lots of little short stories. It wasn't as cute as the first two, but I guess that's to be expected. The girls are growing up and their stories are growing with them. I still enjoyed it, though, and I'm still looking forward to seeing how the girls grow up. While I still have the most in common with Tacy, I'm starting to relate more and more to Tib. I like how she seems a bit embar...more
Diana
I am enjoying this series about friendship in a simpler time and place. Back in the sixties these were the most popular among the girls in my class in elementary school, even though they were 20 years old at that time. They have held up well, and I can understand why they are still being read today.
  • "B" Is for Betsy
  • All-of-a-Kind Family Uptown (All-of-a-Kind Family, #4)
  • The Betsy-Tacy Companion: A Biography of Maud Hart Lovelace
  • Then There Were Five (The Melendy Family, #3)
  • In the High Valley (Carr Family, #5)