Start by marking “The Secret in the Old Lace (Nancy Drew, #59)” as Want to Read:
The Secret in the Old Lace (Nancy Drew, #59)

The Secret in the Old Lace (Nancy Drew #59)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  1,643 ratings  ·  26 reviews
Nancy Drew has entered a contest to solve an old mystery-the disappearance of a Flemish nobleman, a pair of lace cuffs, and a priceless treasure. In a thrilling story shadowed by a romance of the past, Nancy solves a mystery over a hundred years in the making.
Published April 21st 2005 by Penguin Group (USA) (first published 1980)

To ask other readers questions about The Secret in the Old Lace, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret in the Old Lace

Jessica Guard
This was my first time reading one of the ever-so-famous Nancy Drew books, and I had high expectations. I love solving mysteries, and I think this was a great place to start for my EDCI 304 course regarding literacy in upper elementary students. My initial responses while reading this book included a mixture of disappointment followed by curiosity. I found it disappointing in the sense that so many things kept going wrong for Nancy Drew. Recognized as an amateur detective, Nancy Drew enters a m ...more
Eustacia Tan
I miss reading Nancy Drew. I didn't realise how much until I read The 101 Most Influential People Who Never Lived, but I missed this series. And even after a long absence, I find Nancy Drew as gripping as ever.

In this mystery, Nancy gets accused of plagarism and travels to Belgium to solve a hundreds of years old mystery. Or maybe just a hundred. But either way, I was having trouble putting down this book. And of course, in Nancy Drew fashion, she solves the mystery - within a time limit and und
Alex Grant
The book was interesting.It had romance,intrigue and a pair of lace cuffs.In this book nancy and her friends have to find a message in the lace cuffs belonging to Francois Lefevre.The cuffs were given to him by his soon to be wife,Antoinette Tissot,an actress.They fell in love.But Antoinette's family didn't like Francois.In order to keep Antoinette from being dishoned,Francois left Brussels and went to Belgium.He changed his name to Friedrich Vonderlicht.But Antoinette followed him..She changed ...more
B.w.l.e. Travel
Wonderful book for girls heading to Bruges, Belgium.
This is my absolute favorite of all the Nancy Drew mysteries, the one I read a dozen times as a kid, the one I was sure I owned a copy of but can't seem to find among my other children's books. Maybe I actually read it until it fell apart and my mom got rid of it...

I still remember lying on my stomach transfixed as I read about Nancy's adventure in Belgium (so Old World exotic) with Francois (I thought it was pronounced Frank-oyse). Brilliant.
Amanda
This book was ok, but not one of my favorites.

This is the only Nancy Drew book I have ever read. It was okay, I mean it was worth the read (I can not really remember what happened in the whole thing) I think younger kids would love this book. So if you a fan of Nancy Drew I recommend this book to you.
Yna Fempia Paez
I just hate how stupid Madame Chambray was for publishing on the local newspaper about the bejewelled cross and Nancy Drew coming to Brugge. I mean, for her age (being "Madame" and friends with Mrs. Marvin, I assume she's probably fortyish), she could really afford to be so naive and all that.
Hubert Su9
Apr 21, 2008 Hubert Su9 rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Mystery Lovers and Hardy Boys Fans
Recommended to Hubert by: I borrowed it form my school library
This book is about Investigator called Nancy Drew(I assume that you areadly knew her name) who investigates a missing lace and people who wanted to steal a rare and valuable diamond cross,Will Nancy able to solve this mystery after every one wants to stop her(except her friends of course)!?
Joy Gerbode
This story was better than the other more recent ones I've read ... it was fairly well written and kept my interest, complete with secret passages and old letters, disappearances, and even the unbelievable coincidences that always occur. But a pretty good story, and great fun!
Heidi
I read many of the Nancy Drew books as a little girl. I remember this one especially for whatever reason. I'm not sure of how many others I've read. A great series for young girls.
Kyra
It is a really good book. I even learned how to say two things in French. "Je vous aime" which means I love you and" Epousez moi, s'il vous plait" which means please marry me.
Elizabeth Day
I kind of got bored with it when I was reading it only a few times, but now that I think about it the story was REALLY interesting. You should read it!
Victoria Chafin
Good book. First time reading a Nancy Drew book that I noticed some errors in, however. "Nancy dived..." It should be "Nancy dove"
Lisa
I've read all the Nancy Drew AND Hardy Boys books. You just can't go wrong with them. They're classics.
Kaytee
Another series of Nancy Drew that adds to the last one. I like all of the series though.
Marts  (Thinker)
Nancy Drew solves an old mystery involving treasure, lace cuffs, and a Flemish nobleman
Lauren
This book scared me within 30 minutes of reading it. I really liked it though.
Moira
My entire youth I dreamed of going to Belgium after reading this book.
Adelle
favorite of all Nancy Drew Mysteries. :)
Victoria
This is one of my favorite books! It's fabulous!
Molly's Sister
This is one of my favorite Nancy Drew books
Shelly
Mar 16, 2011 Shelly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shelly by: Valerie
What can I say, it's Nancy Drew!
Lil
oh my gosh........it's sooooooooo good!
Cws
JMAR5-Kee
Jessie
Jessie marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2015
  • Girl Sleuth: Nancy Drew and the Women Who Created Her
  • The Mysterious Code (Trixie Belden #7)
  • The Red Trailer Mystery (Trixie Belden, #2)
  • Mystery of the Samurai Sword (Hardy Boys, #60)
  • The Demon of River Heights (Nancy Drew: Girl Detective Graphic Novels, #1)
  • Cherry Ames, Army Nurse (Cherry Ames, #3)

Edna and Harriet Stratemeyer inherited the company from their father Edward Str
More about Carolyn Keene...

Nancy Drew (1 - 10 of 175 books)
  • The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1)
  • The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew, #2)
  • The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3)
  • The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)
  • The Secret of Shadow Ranch (Nancy Drew, #5)
  • The Secret of Red Gate Farm (Nancy Drew, #6)
  • The Clue in the Diary (Nancy Drew, #7)
  • Nancy's Mysterious Letter (Nancy Drew, #8)
  • The Sign of the Twisted Candles (Nancy Drew, #9)
  • Password to Larkspur Lane (Nancy Drew, #10)
The Secret of the Old Clock (Nancy Drew, #1) The Hidden Staircase (Nancy Drew, #2) Nancy Drew: #1-64 The Bungalow Mystery (Nancy Drew, #3) The Mystery at Lilac Inn (Nancy Drew, #4)