Getting Naked: A Business Fable About Shedding the Three Fears That Sabotage Client Loyalty

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  888 ratings  ·  135 reviews
After focusing on topics ranging from teamwork and leadership to employee engagement and meetings New York Times best-selling author Patrick Lencioni has finally turned his attention toward his own craft—consulting and client service. Tapping into the simple but powerful model that his firm, The Table Group, has been built on, Lencioni presents what may be his most engagin...more
Audio CD, 0 pages
Published February 23rd 2010 by Random House Audio (first published February 2nd 2002)

Michael
"Getting Naked" is a metaphor advanced in a new book by the prolific and insightful Patrick Lencioni, about how to build a culture of client service excellence by helping people shed their fears, baggage, and ego in any business for which dealing with clients is a driver of success.

The book, which takes the form of an accessible if sometimes contrived first-person story, focuses on the fears that effect all of us in client service-oriented business:

- Fear of losing the business, which often caus...more
Peter Krol
Lencioni has a way of taking very simple principles and applying them to business situations in a profound way. Although he writes secular business books, Lencioni gives glory to God the Father through Jesus Christ in his acknowledgments. I don't always agree with everything, but I am amazed by what the application of a few biblical principles can do when one takes Paul seriously and gives "glory to God" in "whatever" he does.

In this case, Lencioni proposes a method of consulting that he calls "...more
Ashlee
Just finished Getting Naked. Ha! I definitely learned some new ways to approach my business. It is a very fast read. Resist operating from a fear of losing business, feeling inferior, or being embarrassed and instead just serve and give to the client.

To Get Naked in Business:
Always Consult instead of Sell - (Don't be afraid of losing the business.)
Give Away the Business - (Just serve and give people what they need!)
Tell the Kind Truth - (Give the direct truth in a helpful and kind way.)
Enter the...more
Kiessa
This book was recommended to me by a business colleague whom I admire very much. He embodies the principles of the book, and if you have read the book you will recognize how special that is. That said, this book challenges human beings to bring their authenticity and vulnerability to their work, enhancing professional relationships and business transactions. While perhaps not the most revolutionary of ideas, the application of the concept seems to be rare. I couldn't put this book down, and I ca...more
Ryan Briones
This book is a must read for people in service-oriented work. (I myself am a software consultant) The format, fictional story/object lesson, is the perfect delivery system for this content as well.

If you liked this book, I highly suggest you read Leadership and Self Deception: Getting Out of the Box. Similar format and equally good information for folks in service-oriented work.
Kevin
Mar 10, 2014 Kevin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone in a service providing industry
Recommended to Kevin by: My manager
I loved this book. Having worked for nearly a decade in the consulting business myself, I can very much relate to many of the messages that are being passed on in this book. It's written and structured very clearly, provides very interesting insights into the different ways consulting firms - and you can easily expand this to service providers in general - do business, and does so from a perspective that draws you in as a reader.

I finished it in a couple of hours, and while it isn't a big book,...more
Randy Fox
Done as a narrative tale, listening to this book was really excellent and revelatory. Essentially it tells us to throw out sales scripts and manipulative technique and simply to be ourselves. Should be simple but most of us are trained to perform instead of to just be.
Tim
Not much new here. Once again a fable to fill enough pages to sell a book. If you are a busy business person, just read the last 20 pages
Diane
As a new consultant, I was looking for a book that could give me some insight on the best way to work for a client. Getting Naked provided that insight. The morals and philosophies this amazing group of people can be applied to my current position. I am currently working to ensure that when I am working with a client I am doing naked consulting, asking 'dumb' questions has always been easy for me, but the other fears cited in the book are ones that are very hard to overcome. With this as a refer...more
Omar Usman
Decent read, not as universal as Lencioni's other books. If you're in consulting then it's definitely a must read.
Dan George
Like every other Lencioni book I've read, "Getting Naked" is a a strong value proposition for the reader -- a quick read with very practical principles. The author might not like that comment, because it sounds a bit like selling instead of consulting. (You will have to read the book to get that.)

"Getting Naked" is about naked or vulnerable customer service where the consultant or service provider is so concerned about serving the client and doing what is best for the client that they don't care...more
Patrick
Getting Naked is a "business fable", a genre in which the author takes a pamphlet-sized set of business principles or a short theory and expands it into a short, light narrative through which he introduces the concepts.* It's padding, but it's a much more enjoyable way to learn than a dry, lecture-y business treatise. Overall, I approve. (Besides, if you have to pad, at least pad with a story. De Bono Edward's Six Thinking Hats was padding via repetition, and that was far worse.)

In Getting Naked...more
getAbstract
Building Business Relationships: A Fable

Being vulnerable takes guts, especially in business. But the payoff, explains best-selling author Patrick Lencioni, is strong, honest client relationships that engender trust and allegiance. Lencioni puts forth his “naked service” model via a story about a fictitious consultant named Jack Bauer (not to be confused with the main character on the TV show “24”). Jack, an up-and-comer at a big consulting firm, is put in charge of the newly acquired Lighthouse...more
Jeff
I'm kind of over books that have a fable at the beginning and then tell you the meaning at the end. Just give the meaning.

I liked this book but it wasn't one of Lencioni's best.

Getting Naked means being vulnerable with your client -- "embracing uncommon levels of humility, selflessness and transparency for the good of a client." There are three fears that prevent us from building trust and loyalty with clients:

1. Fear of losing the business. What clients want more than anything is to know we'...more
Batch Batchelder
Another excellent, simple compilation of wisdom from Lencioni. Easy to read, easy to understand parable that describes the principles he has used in building his firm (uber-successful Table Group).

He contends that client loyalty and trust are achieved by overcoming the following three fears:

1. A Fear of Losing the Business drives a service provider to protect their client base, business opportunities and revenue by censoring feedback and avoiding difficult issues.

To Overcome: Give Away the Bu...more
Brian
Getting Naked provides an interesting look inside the world of management consulting by looking at the culture of two firms. On one side you have the traditional churn and burn em mentality of research and on the other the Naked approach where consultants consult and the selling is done by happy customers. The author takes us through the merger of the traditional firm and trying to digest the culture of the smaller quirky firm that does not have Harvard MBA’s but charges more per hour and consta...more
Gene Babon
Another solid contribution by Patrick Lencioni in the same vein as The Five Dysfunctions of a Team. Patrick educates by telling fables. His books are easy reads and the message is usually clear.

Getting Naked refers to getting comfortable being vulnerable. When we try to hide our weaknesses, we erode our credibility. The fable that puts this theory to the test centers around the acquisition of one management consulting firm by another. The two firms have different cultures. The acquiring firm rel...more
Al Young
I don't generally read business books (or their related ilk), with one exception. I know someone whose recommendations are generally spot on. I wasn't familiar with Lencioni, but apparently, he is a hot shot business writer.

His style is to write Business Fables and then spend a few pages explaining them. A business fable being that it is written in the style of a novel, but to illustrate points.

On paper, it's not a concept I like (I'd prefer more meat and potatoes, and less exposition), but I he...more
Danny
Jun 24, 2010 Danny rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Enjoyed this look at building loyalty through vulnerability. Some of my favorite quotes include:
“Vulnerability. It is one of the most undervalued and misunderstood of all human qualities. Without the willingness to be vulnerable, we will not build deep and lasting relationships in life. That’s because there is no better way to earn a person’s trust than by putting ourselves in a position of unprotected weakness and demonstrating that we believe they will support us. “
“Yet society encourages us t...more
Mark Muckerman
It's difficult (and indeed, improbable) to find a "business book" that truly offers anything truly revolutionary in the arenas of business management, sales, and/or operations. The best one can realistically hope for is to find a new spin on best practice truisms, or an ideal concise and relevant packaging of those insightful gems we all know, but that usually get pushed to the wayside by the "demands of our real job".

One of many books in a current trend of "a-ha experiences loosely wrapped in a...more
Cathy Allen
Great consultants are leaders. They develop a particular area of expertise and use it to influence their clients or customers to make decisions that are in their organizational best interests. Much time, effort, and money can be wasted whenever any consultant fails to persuade... if s/he is not liked or trusted by the people in the client group. All consultants have times when clients will decline to take their advice, but when it becomes more common than not, life and business can become diffic...more
Lil
Getting Naked is another brilliant leadership/management book by Lencioni. The Five Dysfunctions of a Team was the first one I read. In it, Lencioni pinpointed why teamwork and management groups and committees so often go horribly wrong. In Getting Naked, he explores three fears underlying the five dysfunctions, including fear of being genuine and open about what you think, the "touchy/feely" stuff that IS now taught in MBA programs. A recent graduate of the Stanford MBA program told me that the...more
Ryan Knoll
The very simple concept behind this book is that showing vulnerability, asking stupid questions and making stupid suggestions can lead to success in business consulting. I found this very refreshing and these ideas reaffirmed a lot of what I had learned in the past and helped put a lexicon to those life lessons I had gained from my experience doing business consulting.
Rick Austin
Written as a novel, this is a very engaging book that I read in two sittings. Provides great advice for building trusted client relationships. Many of the concepts you learn in the book The Trusted Advisor but with a more simplified approach. I find that a lot of it recommends I already do as it is part of my personality. The *fears* were an area that I need to focus on.
Shweta Rathi
Nice read for consultants.. A small book that does not lecture you about consulting skills, but showcases the inhibitions that consultants generally have when in difficult situations and the best (although difficult) ways to combat them!

Marc Battista
To a person in meetings and I front of clients day in and out this book caught my attention right off the bat. It's entertaining educational and all around a great read. I urge those in sales and the business world to give it a read. The points presented in this book I am going to integrate into my daily routines ASAP.
Isaac Chambers
Getting Naked isn't anything game-changing, but it doesn't promise to be either. It is thoroughly readable, though at times the characters seem a bit too archetypal and exaggerated.
Andy Anderson
A great book on consulting. Instead of just asking questions and telling them about your work which you need to do, Patrick suggests adding the value of your company by going in and asking what you can do to help them now and then get busy doing it... A very good read.
John
A nice, quick read. Great for companies or people stuck in a company that does things the old school way.

The gist is this: just starting helping people. Be down to earth. Start helping clients before you earn their business. Show them who you really are. Cut through the bullshit and "Get Naked".

Besides, do you really want to work with assholes? Why not discover who your potential clients are by showing them who you are? Show them exactly what you can offer them and how you do business.

A compa...more
Stephen
READ JUNE 2014

Consistent with Lencioni's other fables, this one is ideal for those interested in developing a trusted advisor relationship with their clients.
Slalom - San Fran...: Trying to make this specific to a book 1 1 Dec 30, 2012 05:07PM
  • Crucial Confrontations: Tools for Resolving Broken Promises, Violated Expectations, and Bad Behavior
  • Managing The Professional Service Firm
  • Mojo: How to Get It, How to Keep It, How to Get It Back If You Lose It
  • Leadership 2.0
  • The Great Game of Business: Unlocking the Power and Profitability of Open-Book Management
  • The Way of the Shepherd: 7 Ancient Secrets to Managing Productive People
  • The Contrarian's Guide to Leadership
  • Mastering the Rockefeller Habits: What You Must Do to Increase the Value of Your Growing Firm
  • Flawless Consulting: A Guide to Getting Your Expertise Used
  • The Launch Pad: Inside Y Combinator, Silicon Valley's Most Exclusive School for Startups
  • Take the Stairs: 7 Steps to Achieving True Success
  • Fierce Conversations: Achieving Success at Work and in Life One Conversation at a Time
  • Resonant Leadership: Renewing Yourself and Connecting with Others Through Mindfulness, Hope and Compassion
  • Buy-In: Saving Your Good Idea from Getting Shot Down
  • The Ultimate Question: Driving Good Profits and True Growth
  • The Click Moment: Seizing Opportunity in an Unpredictable World
  • The 5 Levels of Leadership: Proven Steps to Maximize Your Potential
  • Focus: Use Different Ways of Seeing the World for Success and Influence
Patrick Lencioni is a New York Times best-selling author, speaker, consultant and founder and president of The Table Group, a firm dedicated to helping organizations become healthy. Lencioni’s ideas around leadership, teamwork and employee engagement have impacted organizations around the globe. His books have sold nearly three million copies worldwide.

When Lencioni is not writing, he consults to...more
More about Patrick Lencioni...
The Five Dysfunctions of a Team: A Leadership Fable Death by Meeting: A Leadership Fable...about Solving the Most Painful Problem in Business The Four Obsessions of an Extraordinary Executive: A Leadership Fable The Three Signs of a Miserable Job: A Management Fable About Helping Employees Find Fulfillment in Their Work The Advantage: Why Organizational Health Trumps Everything Else in Business